Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 09:12:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paul Goodwin on budget  (Read 10130 times)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Paul Goodwin on budget
« on April 30, 2015, 02:35:18 pm by the vicar »
Paul Goodwin
06:00Thursday 30 April 2015
HAVE YOUR SAY
Paul Dickov is due to find out his budget for next season this week.

The Scot has already held lengthy planning discussions with the board and is understandably looking forward to his first ‘takeover-free’ summer in charge of Doncaster Rovers.

Earlier this month Dickov stressed that the club will stick to their frugal principles.

But former chairman John Ryan’s decision to hand his 24 per cent stake back to Rovers and write off his £4 million loan with the club might enable co-owners Terry Bramall and Dick Watson to loosen the pursestrings that have been tightened since relegation from the Championship last year.

Slightly tongue-in-cheek, the Free Press put Dean Saunders’ memorable quote about ‘shopping at Lidl’ to Dickov last week and asked Rovers’ boss where he expects to be shopping this summer.

“I’ve got half an idea. It could be a Sainsbury or a Tesco,” he joked.

Since taking the Rovers hot seat, the majority of Dickov’s signings have been free transfers, short term deals and loans.

And this summer the Scot will again run the rule over what is likely to be a larger than ever list of out of contract players.

But with the core of a decent squad already in place, and Dickov very much in the market for players who have ‘been there and got the t-shirt’, he could well be given a little more lee-way in terms of his spending power as Rovers plot a more sustained assault on the League One promotion places.

“Once I get my budget I’ll have to manage that the way I see fit, whether that’s actually going out and being able to buy some players or getting the right players in at the right price,” said Dickov.

“It’s a difficult one at the minute. I think only one or two clubs have decided on contracts and what they’re going to do next year.

“I think things will settle down maybe a week or so after the season has finished. Everybody then has a clearer idea on what’s happening.

“One thing I will say is that the PFA list of out of contract players will be longer than ever before.

“I think lots of clubs favour that route. You won’t have agents asking for wages we can’t afford.”

Former boss Saunders memorably said “we’re not shopping in Marks & Spencer anymore - we’re shopping in Lidl” following Rovers’ relegation from the Championship in 2012.

So its shoppind at the car boot then

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Paul Goodwin on budget
« Reply #1 on April 30, 2015, 02:41:20 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

....So its shopping at the car boot then

...where the wise find gold.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 30, 2015, 02:45:08 pm by acko »
were you buy what others don't want,what happened to the so called top ten budget vsc talked about.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 30, 2015, 02:51:06 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
were you buy what others don't want,what happened to the so called top ten budget vsc talked about.
I assume you have a scoop in knowing that the budget isn't top ten in this league then?

All sounds so far so good, lets not waste time on second guessing the actual figures on this as that usually comes down to negativity which is better dealt with on a 12 step programme and not here  :byebye:

GM-MarkB

« Reply #4 on April 30, 2015, 03:08:35 pm by GM-MarkB »

Ahh don't worry lad, after Sunday you won't give a toss will you.........

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 30, 2015, 03:09:24 pm by IDM »
Here we go again.  We may well have had a budget to compete for the top 10, or top 8 or whatever - the fact that we have't reached that may not be down to the budget, but more to the performance of the players and the manager.  Isn't this why so many fans are unhappy with PD - he hasn't delivered what he should have?

Yet again, another thread having a go at the club when none of us outside the club really knows what is going on.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 30, 2015, 03:54:48 pm by DonnyNoel »
Also (and this isn't a criticism of anyone, just a couple of possible scenarios) you have to consider that a good budget can be spent badly and an average budget can be stretched. Contracts are contracts - if, say, 30% of your budget goes on 3/4 players (or is already committed to players on existing contracts) then you've got less to play with.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 30, 2015, 04:29:14 pm by the vicar »
Here we go again.  We may well have had a budget to compete for the top 10, or top 8 or whatever - the fact that we have't reached that may not be down to the budget, but more to the performance of the players and the manager.  Isn't this why so many fans are unhappy with PD - he hasn't delivered what he should have?

Yet again, another thread having a go at the club when none of us outside the club really knows what is going on.
i put the thread on and i am no way having a go at anyone

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 30, 2015, 05:10:03 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I don't think it was aimed at you vicar all I will say is that every time PD has wanted a player the club have backed him so in my mind I know who is responsible for our poor performance and season

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 30, 2015, 05:21:32 pm by IDM »

At the end of the OP you quoted the "shopping" thing, then said we'd be buying at the car boot.  If that's not having a dig - albeit a small one - at the club's buying ambitions then I don't know what is?

However, my point was probably more aimed at this:

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 30, 2015, 05:38:39 pm by the vicar »

At the end of the OP you quoted the "shopping" thing, then said we'd be buying at the car boot.  If that's not having a dig - albeit a small one - at the club's buying ambitions then I don't know what is?

i suggest you get a seance of humour  it was light hearted
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:11:09 pm by the vicar »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 30, 2015, 05:51:33 pm by Bentley Bullet »
i suggest you get a seance of humour

Is that like trying to communicate with dead comedians?  :unsure:

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 30, 2015, 05:57:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
it was light heated
.......With one bar of the lecky fire on?   :whistle:

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 30, 2015, 06:18:20 pm by Donnyrovers »
Shame looks like Dickov definitely here next season then, best prepare for another season of shite.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 30, 2015, 06:30:24 pm by since-1969 »
Why wait !!!?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 30, 2015, 07:08:56 pm by the vicar »
it was light heated
lol slip of the pen mate

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 30, 2015, 07:27:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
it was light heated
lol slip of the pen mate

Only joking mate. Everybody makes miskates!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 30, 2015, 07:37:25 pm by the vicar »
thought i was going to get lines for a minute

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 30, 2015, 07:43:51 pm by IDM »

i suggest you get a seance of humour  it was light hearted

Put a winky on it then ;)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 30, 2015, 08:43:39 pm by dickos1 »
I don't think it was aimed at you vicar all I will say is that every time PD has wanted a player the club have backed him so in my mind I know who is responsible for our poor performance and season

I've nothing bad to say against our board, but how do you know that they've backed him to sign every player he's wanted??
I very much doubt that

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 30, 2015, 09:02:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't the board refuse Dickov's  first choice striker target before settling for Uche Ikpeazu?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 30, 2015, 09:11:07 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't the board refuse Dickov's  first choice striker target before settling for Uche Ikpeazu?

No they didn't the club said striker plays for did

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 30, 2015, 09:13:38 pm by DearneValleyRover »

I've nothing bad to say against our board, but how do you know that they've backed him to sign every player he's wanted??
I very much doubt that

It's all relative, if he asked for Messi then it would be obviously no, the ones he asked for within the budget he got, in my opinion he wasted a lot of it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 30, 2015, 09:15:15 pm by Bentley Bullet »
 Pardon?  :huh:

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 30, 2015, 09:43:51 pm by keith79 »
Dickov first choice was that lad from rotherham. Not great either

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 30, 2015, 10:48:35 pm by Askern_reds »
can someone on here tell me how they no the players pd got was his first choice? or could it be they were second or even third choice because of wage demands or other financial reasons that the board wouldn't sanction, you can go round and round again looking and blameing someone for us not getting into play offs, is it the board is it pd, my own take on it it's the 11 on the field who must take the blame no mater what the board want to pay and what pd says and how he handles players, it's all down to them there suppose to be the pros who no there business and who get paid most handsomely may I had, for doing there job,so yes things av gone tits up this season nothing's gone to plan so what, can the club not learn by mistakes made,the saying goes only a fool makes the same mistake twice so let's see what happens next season, so give the board a break its there cash not yours it's up to them what they do, give pd a break jeesus the man asnt had a chance to prove himself, let's av a look at the caliber of players were looking at in the next few weeks that should give you some idea what ambitions the club have, I hope we're looking at players who not only get us uot of this div but take the league by storm and win it like bc av, and allso av the quality to keep us in the championship

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 01, 2015, 01:35:57 am by dickos1 »

I very much doubt that

It's all relative, if he asked for Messi then it would be obviously no, the ones he asked for within the budget he got, in my opinion he wasted a lot of it.

No I'm sorry, I've no idea how you could know that Dickov has been able to sign every player he's asked for.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 01, 2015, 07:57:11 am by Al4475 »
Pd has said at various meetings over the last season that the board have backed him fully with all of his targets and that parent clubs have been the ones not always willing to release their players or that players have chosen alternatives! He may be paying lip service, he may not!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 01, 2015, 08:00:33 am by GazLaz »
It's easy saying he can have whatever he wants from Aldi.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 01, 2015, 08:35:37 am by idler »
A lot of people now shop at Aldi instead of the big supermarkets for some of their goods as it is great value. Why pay more than you need for basics?  :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012