Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 03:20:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: first rugby league player comes out as gay  (Read 9666 times)

the vicar

• Forum Member
first rugby league player comes out as gay
« on August 17, 2015, 09:00:08 am by the vicar »
if it was in football would he get persecuted? i would hope not, but you never know  what is your thoughts

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GM-MarkB

Re: first rugby league player comes out as gay
« Reply #1 on August 17, 2015, 11:12:05 am by GM-MarkB »
So long as he does his job on the field, what should it matter ?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 17, 2015, 11:21:24 am by The Red Baron »
I have to say I've never heard of him. But well done to him and I hope he'll be supported by everyone in Rugby League.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 17, 2015, 01:42:11 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Unfortunately, the knuckledraggers that every team has following them would think it oh-so-witty to sing 'tasteful' songs about it wherever he played.

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 17, 2015, 01:52:13 pm by raggytash »
Looking at half the footballers these days there's a lot in the closet!!

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 17, 2015, 01:53:09 pm by Dare to dream! »
Man is gay. Sad that this has to be big news.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 17, 2015, 01:56:29 pm by Jenny »
Exactly, the fact that it is being talked about indicates that the taboo will never go away.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 17, 2015, 02:00:21 pm by NickDRFC »
The taboo will not " never go away". It will just be incredibly hard for the first few people who come out.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 17, 2015, 02:15:41 pm by bobjimwilly »

sorry, what does a gay footballer look like again?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 17, 2015, 02:37:40 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
The taboo will not " never go away". It will just be incredibly hard for the first few people who come out.

This.

I remember the days when - although homosexuality was legalised in the 60s - in the 70s and 80s coming out could still be career suicide in lots of areas of public life. It has taken time, but now it isn't - however, it took the bravery of those who were willing to come out in the dark days for being gay to gradually not be looked upon as being anything unusual. Football is probably the last and hardest nut to be cracked in this respect.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 17, 2015, 04:08:18 pm by les@donr »
Didn't Justin Fashanu come out gay, and sadly committed suicide.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 17, 2015, 04:21:42 pm by IDM »
Didn't Justin Fashanu come out gay, and sadly committed suicide.

After his career, yes.

I doubt that these days there would be too much trouble within the game.  However fans are fickle - they will pick on an opposition player for any reason, simply because they play for the other side (no pun intended) for example on colour of hair etc.

Maybe in RL the fans are different?

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 17, 2015, 04:38:24 pm by Rios »
Wigan hammered the message home yesterday and racist and homophonic abuse were mentioned in the same PA.  If a footballer came out as gay and homophobic songs were sung about them then surely they'd be dealt with in the same way that racist songs are, the culprits identified and prosecuted.  You can't stop people have abhorent opinions, but like racism over the last thirty years you can make it so socially unacceptable that the majority aren't willing to put up with it.

It does surprise me that it's taking quite so long for footballers to come out.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 17, 2015, 05:04:21 pm by les@donr »
This is a sympathetic article about the rise and decline of Justin Fashanua http://roadsandkingdoms.com/2014/the-life-and-death-of-justin-fashanu/

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 17, 2015, 05:15:50 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Wigan hammered the message home yesterday and racist and homophonic abuse were mentioned in the same PA.  If a footballer came out as gay and homophobic songs were sung about them then surely they'd be dealt with in the same way that racist songs are, the culprits identified and prosecuted.  You can't stop people have abhorent opinions, but like racism over the last thirty years you can make it so socially unacceptable that the majority aren't willing to put up with it.

It does surprise me that it's taking quite so long for footballers to come out.

Doesn't stop people who have the attitude of "We're (insert name here), and we can do what we like". You only have to look at the current problem with pyros - how many times have the club hammered the message only for it to continue to be ignored?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 17, 2015, 09:42:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Homophonic abuse?

Is that like calling Kitson a Kitson?

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 17, 2015, 10:45:50 pm by Iberian Red »
Exactly, the fact that it is being talked about indicates that the taboo will never go away.

By posting on the matter you've contradicted yourself.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 17, 2015, 11:00:59 pm by Askern_reds »
I remember been at a boro game with the brother inlaw he's boro mad by the way, shit game may I say ,one song started ringing round the ground and we both burst out laughing  take into account his son his gay and daughter is a lesbian, the song went is gay is bent is arse is up for rent the referee and the song was a few good years ago, point been if this lad can laugh at this banter why does everybody start jumping on the bandwagon, or out of order, worse than racists, why these coments? can no one have a laugh anymore it's not Whats said its how it's said, lighten up I say, surely you no when some ones haveing a laugh or been nasty

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 18, 2015, 01:52:58 am by hoolahoop »
Good for him and well done for the club and fans for backing him

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 18, 2015, 08:58:11 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I remember been at a boro game with the brother inlaw he's boro mad by the way, shit game may I say ,one song started ringing round the ground and we both burst out laughing  take into account his son his gay and daughter is a lesbian, the song went is gay is bent is arse is up for rent the referee and the song was a few good years ago, point been if this lad can laugh at this banter why does everybody start jumping on the bandwagon, or out of order, worse than racists, why these coments? can no one have a laugh anymore it's not Whats said its how it's said, lighten up I say, surely you no when some ones haveing a laugh or been nasty

So to sum up, because you think it's funny the people it's directed at have to endure it regardless?

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 18, 2015, 09:02:47 am by Askern_reds »

So to sum up, because you think it's funny the people it's directed at have to endure it regardless?
what you mean because I think it's funny? me brotherinlaw was laughing more than me mate, he saw the lighter side of it,

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 18, 2015, 09:41:24 am by Askern_reds »
if it was in football would he get persecuted? i would hope not, but you never know  what is your thoughts
no I don't think he would, there are more gay pride events around the country then ive ever known, personal I think it's be comeing a lot more expectable through the public eye unlike when fash came out and said he was gay, I bet team mates know players at there clubs but leave ing it up to them to say and I bet they have banter together about it because it's becomeing more exceptable, personaly I wouldn't give a dam if one of ours was, and as time goes on people won't even give it a second thought,

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 18, 2015, 10:24:49 am by the vicar »

what you mean because I think it's funny? me brotherinlaw was laughing more than me mate, he saw the lighter side of it,
it is always the people that aren't in that position that are offended more by it that the people that are

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 18, 2015, 12:07:47 pm by Askern_reds »

it is always the people that aren't in that position that are offended more by it that the people that are
that's right Vic i remembers few year ago listening to jo Jo on radio forgot the 2 blokes with her they were good fun hear on radio, it's called capital now she was saying exactly the same about racism saying they make it worse and that's a black girl

Katesby

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 18, 2015, 04:12:16 pm by Katesby »

What?

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 18, 2015, 05:56:08 pm by Iberian Red »

What?

Exactly. Didn't two members of Village People have raggy tashes?

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #26 on August 18, 2015, 07:56:46 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
I used to play Rugby League for a few years, including one game in blue and gold.
Lots of contact with big men, rolling around in mud together, a mix of pleasure and pain, and then we would all strip naked and get in the bath together. Nothing gay there.

I still watch RL several times a year and the crowds are considerably more decent and sporting than at football, so I doubt there will be much of a problem.
Only fear is that sometimes the sport is infiltrated by football fans and in any crowd there will always be at least one idiot.

Best of luck to him, playing for Batley is far more of a cross to bear.

Spare a thought for the wife though, can't be easy for her.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 18, 2015, 08:14:27 pm by Askern_reds »
I used to play Rugby League for a few years, including one game in blue and gold.
Lots of contact with big men, rolling around in mud together, a mix of pleasure and pain, and then we would all strip naked and get in the bath together. Nothing gay there.

I still watch RL several times a year and the crowds are considerably more decent and sporting than at football, so I doubt there will be much of a problem.
Only fear is that sometimes the sport is infiltrated by football fans and in any crowd there will always be at least one idiot.

Best of luck to him, playing for Batley is far more of a cross to bear.

Spare a thought for the wife though, can't be easy for her.
well I hope they both come to terms with it and move on

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 18, 2015, 08:48:45 pm by the vicar »

that's right Vic i remembers few year ago listening to jo Jo on radio forgot the 2 blokes with her they were good fun hear on radio, it's called capital now she was saying exactly the same about racism saying they make it worse and that's a black girl
that is right Askern people do it all the time  i went to main branch AGM and asked about the black guy in the development team and a few said you cant say that black guy now that is ridiculous 

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 18, 2015, 08:55:37 pm by Askern_reds »
well I thought you could say black and not colourd I do no

TinyPortal © 2005-2012