Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 09:37:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Do we expect too much??  (Read 6002 times)

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
Do we expect too much??
« on August 21, 2015, 06:49:52 pm by mrfrostsdad »
I've just moved house and had no internet for 8 days. Having just logged on, I'm not surprised at the reaction for the great majority after the total garbage we were served up yet again on Wednesday night.

Anyway, as I was driving home to Scarbados in the pishing down with rain after the game, and having had lots of time to think, what I was thinking is this: do we expect too much from our football team?

Let's face it, we are a very ordinary football team (no disrespect) playing in the third division. As such we attract third division quality players. We have a third rate manager (that's probably being kind. I don't need to tell anyone what I think about  Dickov) and we don't have enough money to bring in players to make things any better. Well, the owners do, but are not prepared to spend it/break FFP rules or whatever. So, what do we actually expect? We can only expect third rate performances surely?

I thought on Wednesday night that Southend were as poor a team as I've seen for a long time, and they brought us down to their level and in the end will be disappointed they didn't win. I think Brown will have to work miracles to keep them up this season. The first 45 minutes were as dismal as I've seen since, well, last season.

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, but I expect absolutely nothing now when I go to games, and for the last couple of years they've not let me down.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
Re: Do we expect too much??
« Reply #1 on August 21, 2015, 06:57:57 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Can't disagree with you there mfd but what I find unacceptable is that a team so obviously poor as Southend (and negative according to some observers) could still create far more goal attempts than we could and but for a couple of top drawer saves would have taken the points.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 21, 2015, 07:00:58 pm by Askern_reds »
Can't disagree with you there mfd but what I find unacceptable is that a team so obviously poor as Southend (and negative according to some observers) could still create far more goal attempts than we could and but for a couple of top drawer saves would have taken the points.
I can formation? and our mid too slow simples

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 22, 2015, 10:06:40 am by mrfrostsdad »
Our midfield is slow Askern. And the players out injured/on the bench won't make any difference with that issue.
Keegan is slower than me, and Chaplow doesn't appear to have anything with regards to pace either. The only player we have who can pick out a pass is Wellens, who isn't going to get any better now (still our best player for me though) Coppinger is past his best I think and young Middleton is not quite there yet I don't think.

With regards to formation, I think with the players we've brought in, we don't have a great deal of choice. Maybe Copps out on the wing again and two up front? The problem with that is both Copps and Forrester are probably at their best on the left, cutting in. With Tyson injured Main would have to play. Did ok when he came on Wednesday night, but so many people can't be wrong about how bad he is. Can they?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 22, 2015, 01:27:28 pm by idler »
I've watched the Rovers for long enough not to expect too much but the dross served up so often at home over the last few years is hard to take.
It's usually about six hours for me from leaving home to getting back as I like to park up early. This hasn't resulted in a lot of entertainment for the time and money spent lately.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 22, 2015, 01:56:36 pm by Askern_reds »
can some one tell me if guassen has took part in any game at all , if not av we sighned a player who was allready injured? if so I don't expect nothing, and I find that totaly unexceptable by pd and the club

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 22, 2015, 02:01:41 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Askern, N' Guessan came on against Wolves. Apparently he's 5 or 6 weeks behind everyone else as he didn't have a pre-season (according to Dickov)

Idler, my round trip is approx 3 and a half hours, plus an hour and a half for the game etc etc. I feel your pain mate

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 22, 2015, 02:13:52 pm by dknward2 »
Living less than 15 mins away still doesnt make it any less painful just means i can get a nice warm cuppa sooner in winter

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 22, 2015, 02:24:42 pm by dickos1 »
He's not injured just not fit yet as didn't have a pre season.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 22, 2015, 03:18:52 pm by i_ateallthepies »
If that is just another of your lame excuses in support of Dickov, I expect nothing less.  If it is actually the truth, then that is totally unacceptable that he hasn't even been given minutes in any of the games played thus far.  He will never reach match fitness.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 22, 2015, 03:22:58 pm by dickos1 »
U joking? The rest of the squad had 6/7 weeks pre season. He's had about 2.
Think your under estimating how fit u need to be to play in league 1

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 22, 2015, 03:44:57 pm by newyankee »
In answer to the question at the top,  NO.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 22, 2015, 03:57:46 pm by Colin C No.3 »
U joking? The rest of the squad had 6/7 weeks pre season. He's had about 2.
Think your under estimating how fit u need to be to play in league 1
How fit might that be o wise one?

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 22, 2015, 04:02:00 pm by eastender »
Think it's about time we stopped the pre season Jollies to Portugal and send them to a military style boot camp instead.  #pamperedpussies

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 22, 2015, 08:26:24 pm by Askern_reds »
now then I said Portugal was waste of time and money and got shot down for it, they said it was bonding

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 22, 2015, 08:32:25 pm by IDM »
We are a third division side.  Historically, that is quite good, and perfectly acceptable to those of us with long memories.

HOWEVER, and I stress that word, we should expect to be entertained, more often than not, win lose or draw - and regardless of what division we are in.

So to answer the OP, yes, and no.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 22, 2015, 09:30:16 pm by mrfrostsdad »
And thereby maybe goes one of the problems (IMO) It's not acceptable to be a League 1 side when we've spent so long in the Championship in recent years

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 22, 2015, 09:43:19 pm by dickos1 »
I don't agree with that,
How can it not be acceptable to be a league 1 side with 5,000 gates, with a history that shows we've only spent 4 or 5 years any higher than league 1 out of about 60.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 22, 2015, 09:54:48 pm by idler »
The manner in which we are playing though is totally unacceptable.
To anybody watching Tuesday today's result isn't much of a surprise.
We look disjointed and toothless.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 22, 2015, 10:27:32 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Dickos, it's not acceptable because we have gone downhill faster than a bobsleigh world champion since Dickov came in. You know, the Dickov who single handedly got us relegated when it was easier to stay up. The Dickov who has presided over the biggest load of shite that we've had served up since we came back into the league. The Dickov who tells us every week we will get a reaction, and we get absolutely **** all. But it doesn't matter how many people tell you that, you'll never believe it. That's ok, you're opinion is as valid as mine, but can't you see now that you're stuck out on a limb with your opinion.

Yes, I think in retrospect we do, on occasions expect too much, but is it too much to ask for us to progress and turn in the odd decent performance? I don't think so

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 22, 2015, 10:51:30 pm by dickos1 »
I agree with some of your points but it's certainly not unacceptable to be a league 1 club.
With regards the relegation yes the last 7 games were bad, but the other 40 were the best under dickov, it was harder to get relegated than stay up because he had got us some great results that season.
People forget that

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 23, 2015, 01:18:04 am by newyankee »
What amazes me is that amongst all this turmoil we hear nothing from Gavin Baldwin and definitely nothing from the owners.  Someone needs to wake them up and get them to smell the coffee.  I was considering coming over for a couple of games, but while ever PD is in charge the money stays in my pocket or bank account. Sorry to say that the bar bill will also not be opened.

I have very little family over there so coming would be just to see the Rovers and a few friends. It is just not worth the bother as things stand.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 23, 2015, 01:30:30 am by Sammy Chung was King »
And how many are thinking the same Newyankee?, there must be hundreds maybe a thousand thinking similar, we have lost glory hunters who only wanted to see us in the championship, but we have lost proper fans like yourself who are nearer than you.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 23, 2015, 08:51:18 am by Donnywolf »
We are a third division side.  Historically, that is quite good, and perfectly acceptable to those of us with long memories.

HOWEVER, and I stress that word, we should expect to be entertained, more often than not, win lose or draw - and regardless of what division we are in.

So to answer the OP, yes, and no.

Absolutely right Yes and No

MrFrostsDad captured exactly what I was thinking but could not be bothered to write down. We ARE probably expecting too much and unless and until we get HUGE and SUSTAINED investment we are going to have to be "happy"

BUT I also agree with IDM. We as supporters irrespective of the Tier we are in as a Club should expect some kind of entertainment ESPECIALLY given the huge admission fees that some people are having to pay out and what they "could have bought" with that same amount of money.

I am lucky in that I have a Senior Season Ticket and with Alliance Membership that comes in at around £11 a game for one of the best views in the Ground AND my round trip is nothing compared to lots of the people on here BUT where is the entertainment factor because even with what I pay I feel it is NOT value for money

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 23, 2015, 09:39:41 am by idler »
I have to drive to Manchester and back next Saturday morning. 80 miles.
If I come to the Rovers. 90 miles.
Saturday night a family housewarming near Grassington. 65 miles.
There is only one of the three that I don't have to go to and that's The Rovers.
I have seen nothing so far this season to make me want to put myself out and I'm a season ticket holder. I'll also lose less money as petrol money is more than my ticket price.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 23, 2015, 10:33:54 am by mrfrostsdad »
I think Yankee has a very valid point in his assessment that nothing is coming out of the club. It would be nice just to hear something. Something that gives us a bit of hope that someone actually gives a damn.
It leads me to believe those in the corridors of power are happy with the situation.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 23, 2015, 10:47:32 am by dickos1 »
As was proven in the past with Ryan and sod, there's not much they can say is there. Other than his job is safe. They aren't gonna come out and say we're looking for his replacement and hopefully he'll be gone this week

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 23, 2015, 11:12:25 am by The Red Baron »
I suppose they could give him a vote of confidence. Then we'd know he'd be gone soon.  ;)

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 23, 2015, 12:11:08 pm by mrfrostsdad »
I'll be honest, I'm not sure what they should say. But then again, I'm not a multi millionaire with a background of highly successful businesses behind me.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 23, 2015, 12:13:56 pm by IDM »
I'll be honest, I'm not sure what they should say. But then again, I'm not a multi millionaire with a background of highly successful businesses behind me.

But they wouldn't have succeeded in business by constantly pissing off their customer base?  I am sure they must have knowledge of how the fans feel and will be taking this into account,  Maybe they do have a line that Dickov has to cross, but won't go public on that?

either way, this situation can't go on forever.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012