Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 06:08:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The team with the better fitness won  (Read 12380 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
The team with the better fitness won
« on August 25, 2015, 10:45:56 pm by Filo »
We ran out of steam on 70 mins, I thought we gave a good account of ourselves, but couldn't handle McGoldrick

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: The team with the better fitness won
« Reply #1 on August 25, 2015, 10:47:57 pm by IDM »
I thought we gave a good account of ourselves,

That is key to me, compared to the last 2 games.

My thoughts now, can we carry that on into Saturday?  What's the injury situation and will there be any loanees?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 25, 2015, 10:48:24 pm by Copps is Magic »
We didn't play badly in the 90 minutes. After that, they kind of just walked in 3 goals. As I said before the game not going to call for his head either way. Bigger test is the next game.

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 25, 2015, 10:51:34 pm by nortikorner »
we need to play the midfield further up they got every second ball .lund and whitehouse  did very well  found are right back

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 25, 2015, 10:54:05 pm by Copps is Magic »
we need to play the midfield further up they got every second ball .lund and whitehouse  did very well  found are right back

Yes, those two didn't do badly at all.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 25, 2015, 11:05:04 pm by Superspy »
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw it that way. We ran out of steam around 70 minutes but truthfully I felt I got my monies worth over the 90 and thought on the balance of play a draw was about right. I actually enjoyed the match for a change and though we played fairly well.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 25, 2015, 11:06:39 pm by Yorkiered »
The fact that we only had kids on the bench and then lost McCullough in the first half and Jones at half time didn't help either. Dreadful defending by Butler for their second goal. After that there was only ever going to be one winner.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 25, 2015, 11:07:23 pm by RedArmy »
Its worrying were running out of steam 70 mins into the game. Only 5 games in to the season jeeez.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 25, 2015, 11:08:41 pm by Copps is Magic »
Its worrying were running out of steam 70 mins into the game. Only 5 games in to the season jeeez.

We've got no one on the bench and even if we did Dickov usually only makes subs late in the game anyway. Plus, they've been in training the last 2 consecutive days doing the 'reaction' thing.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 25, 2015, 11:09:05 pm by Yorkiered »

Did you go to the game or are you going on what someone posted?

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 25, 2015, 11:09:46 pm by RedArmy »

Did you go to the game or are you going on what someone posted?

No i was at the game my friend.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 25, 2015, 11:10:03 pm by Filo »
The fact that we only had kids on the bench and then lost McCullough in the first half and Jones at half time didn't help either. Dreadful defending by Butler for their second goal. After that there was only ever going to be one winner.

Butler would n't have been put in that position if Wellens had n't neshed out of a tackle with that big lad of there's

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 25, 2015, 11:10:21 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
At last, some reasonable reporting of the game.

Did he get the reaction? Appears so. For me it wasn't about the result tonight, it was about Dickov sorting things out with the  players and getting a performance.

I still think his days are running out however, he's going to claim mitigating circumstances with the injuries.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 25, 2015, 11:11:53 pm by BigKeif »
My only concern here is how can a team 6 games into a season be running out of steam after 70 minutes? Do we do any kind of fitness in training at all?

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 25, 2015, 11:12:53 pm by Yorkiered »

Butler would n't have been put in that position if Wellens had n't neshed out of a tackle with that big lad of there's

Agreed but...............he was just stood on his own in the box. Not remotely close to McGoldrick who had a free header.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 25, 2015, 11:13:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And the injury curse strikes again.

Seven senior pros injured before the end of August. Marvellous.

I reckon this is the fifth and a half of the last seven seasons in which we have had dreadful luck with injuries.

In 2009/10, we had a period where the British Paralympic team had more functioning legs per person than our squad.

In 2010/11 we went off the rails when our defence was decimated by injuries and we dropped from just outside the play-offs at Xmas to just staying up.

The injury curse extended into early 2011/12 and did for O'Driscoll.

In 2013/14, Dickov built THREE squads, two of which performed well but were ripped apart by injuries. Jones, Husband, Wabara, Robinson, Brown, Keegan, Tamas and Wellens - and probably more that I've forgotten - all had long spells out.

Last season wasn't as bad but injuries to Keegan and Coppinger could not have come at a worse time as our decent run to the edge of the play-offs faltered.

And now this season.

Why always us eh?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 25, 2015, 11:14:28 pm by IDM »
Does running out of steam mean being knackered, or running out of ideas?  Understandable against a better side.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 25, 2015, 11:15:46 pm by BigKeif »
Does running out of steam mean being knackered, or running out of ideas?  Understandable against a better side.

Knackered mate

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 25, 2015, 11:16:27 pm by Filo »

Agreed but...............he was just stood on his own in the box. Not remotely close to McGoldrick who had a free header.

To be fair our defence looked dodgy when Evina was moved to LB and Sinclair was moved to CB, but I do agree that Butler was caught horribly in no mans land

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 25, 2015, 11:16:59 pm by glosterred »
Not just fitness but ideas as well, after they scored we ran out of ideas as well as steam. There was no coming back after their second.

COYR

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 25, 2015, 11:27:44 pm by Alan Southstand »
If it hadn't been for the BFG, we'd have been out at the 90 min mark. Torsten well and truly kept us in the tie.
The difference in the first 45 was our sudden realisation that if we move the ball forwards quicker, we bring out the best in Williams. 2nd 45, it was back to our usual passing backwards. We were not very good when we did not have the ball and it gradually got worse.
Of course, our master tactician could not see it, or maybe we just ran out of subs, seeing as we used 2 in the first half.

It's a bloody mess now, whatever way you look at it. He is well out his depth and I think this is beyond his level.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 25, 2015, 11:30:43 pm by dickos1 »
What did u expect the master tactician to do, I know you don't like him and you want him gone but so do many other posters but they've said we did well tonight.
Just saying we're crap even when we're not dilutes your argument somewhat

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 25, 2015, 11:31:10 pm by Yorkiered »
I suppose it was his fault we got two injuries in the first half as well?
Most of us would like to see him gone but you really are being stupid now.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 25, 2015, 11:33:42 pm by IDM »
I lost a couple of sales recently.  I blame PD.

Baby's not sleeping through properly - Dickov out!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 25, 2015, 11:39:17 pm by Copps is Magic »
And the injury curse strikes again.

Snip

It's a controllable thing though. The club certainly can't look at it as a curse. For a few years now we've been absolutely terrible at proactively dealing with injuries. I don't know why.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:42:08 pm by Copps is Magic »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 25, 2015, 11:52:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
CiM

Not sure I agree. Dickov was castigated for the injury apocalypse in 2013/14 but the overwhelming majority were contact/impact injuries. As was the injury to Coppinger last year, Forrester's injury this year and Jones's two-year problem.

You can't condition players to survive those. It's luck.

You can't blame a manager for those injuries. Unless you just want to blame the manager.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 25, 2015, 11:55:49 pm by Copps is Magic »
I didn't mean controllable in the sense that you can stop injuries. I meant controllable in the sense that you can anticipate injuries and quickly attempt to replace players. We're clearly not doing that.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 25, 2015, 11:57:32 pm by dickos1 »
Well I think he's trying to do that, like bringing the two off today and not risking players like Mackenzie when they're not quite right.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 25, 2015, 11:58:54 pm by Copps is Magic »
Well I think he's trying to do that, like bringing the two off today and not risking players like Mackenzie when they're not quite right.

I don't mean during a match either. I mean the squad.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 25, 2015, 11:59:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
CiM
Dickov replaced players on a near-daily basis in 2013/14.

Why he didn't replace Keegan last year (and this year) or a whole group of players this year is anyone's guess. But the fact that he very skilfully built two sides in 2013/14 suggests that he's not incapable of doing so, nor unwilling to do so.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012