Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 06:32:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The team with the better fitness won  (Read 12381 times)

eastender

• VSC Member
Re: The team with the better fitness won
« Reply #30 on August 26, 2015, 12:09:31 am by eastender »
Of course we ran out of steam most of our players were playing their 5th or 6th game in 17 days , where as Ipswich made 7 changes to their starting line up from the weekend and have a squad of 40 to pick from.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 26, 2015, 12:41:58 am by Sammy Chung was King »
CiM
Dickov replaced players on a near-daily basis in 2013/14.

Why he didn't replace Keegan last year (and this year) or a whole group of players this year is anyone's guess. But the fact that he very skilfully built two sides in 2013/14 suggests that he's not incapable of doing so, nor unwilling to do so.

He is talented at getting the right players, just not being able to do anything with them unfortunately. Keegan needed proper back up a few seasons ago, he re-signed Wellens when time needed to move on.
The big decisions he avoids, sometimes you're best player doesn't fit into your system of playing, and for the greater good of the team a good manager will take the criticism in not picking him, because the player picked makes the team better as a whole.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 26, 2015, 01:07:56 am by phil old leake »
With regard to our players always being injured maybe it's not the fault of PD. Have we got the same back room/medical staff that SOD had and others since. If we have maybe it's time to look beyond the management team.  If it is the same staff maybe their methods are not right and need looking at

I thought that for large parts of the game tonight we bossed them.  They are unbeaten and top of the league. Until Jones went off I thought we had a real chance of pulling it off. If we had played like that at Port Vale we would have mullered them

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 26, 2015, 07:37:15 am by Chris Black come back »
Seem to remember the gent that Saunders brought in did a good job in getting that promotion side fit and keeping them fit.

That side was bereft of any real footballing talent but was fitter and more committed than any other. When it mattered eg 93rd minute away at Stevenage we were top dog.

This current side weakens as the game drags on (see stat last season that had Rovers conceding most goals in last ten mins in entire Football League or similar) and has no backbone for fight.

What would happen with this lot if Brentford was repeated? 95th minute ball goes out to Forrester on right wing...Copps steaming forward....Forrester plays back to Keegan...back to McCullough...back to Jones...across to Butler....back to Stuckmann...ball hammered up field 20m beyond Tyson...ref blows whistle....

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 26, 2015, 07:55:05 am by The Red Baron »
With regard to our players always being injured maybe it's not the fault of PD. Have we got the same back room/medical staff that SOD had and others since. If we have maybe it's time to look beyond the management team.  If it is the same staff maybe their methods are not right and need looking at

I thought that for large parts of the game tonight we bossed them.  They are unbeaten and top of the league. Until Jones went off I thought we had a real chance of pulling it off. If we had played like that at Port Vale we would have mullered them

The chap who is the fitness coach was here under SOD but in a more junior role. The physio and actual fitness man were replaced by Saunders.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 26, 2015, 07:55:47 am by Al4475 »
What would happen with this lot if Brentford was repeated? 95th minute ball goes out to Forrester on right wing...Copps steaming forward....Forrester plays back to Keegan...back to McCullough...back to Jones...across to Butler....back to Stuckmann...ball hammered up field 20m beyond Tyson...ref blows whistle....

Unfortunately this is very good!  :lol:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 26, 2015, 08:18:08 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I remember SO'D having injury problems when times were tough. Glass back stock and 'Hernias r us' with a few players. When Saunders arrived, he managed to get all the senior players on to the pitch.

There must be a psychological element to niggles becoming more than what they are and players not wanting to be in the thick of a fight.

It's all part of squad management however, if we are struggling so much with injuries and fitness at this stage of the season then I would be asking questions about the merit of Portugal.

All these factors are PD's responsibility and he will have to find some answers sharpish or face the chop.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 26, 2015, 08:22:42 am by Al4475 »
When Saunders arrived, he managed to get all the senior players on to the pitch.

Aye that's because when he first arrived Baz, he had the experiment to contend with - they all became his senior pros! ;)

I know what you're saying though matey. When DS built his own team the first 11 almost picked themselves until he left and there were never a great many injuries!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on August 26, 2015, 08:44:12 am by The Red Baron »
Just looked back at that Oldham fan's comments and he noted how poor their fitness was under Dickov. It does make you wonder what the point of the trip to Portugal is if it doesn't end with the players being fit.

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 26, 2015, 08:48:55 am by jmt »
My view is, we never go in for the kill! Ever since SOD have we gone one goal up, and then play like we are the Harlem globe trotters with flicks and tricks, we need to be more clinical and professional

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on August 26, 2015, 08:52:28 am by dickos1 »
Leeds away we did

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 26, 2015, 10:30:39 am by Al4475 »
Sorry dickos - that's one game! Yes I'm sure there are more too - but on the whole as JMT said we sit back and hope we can keep em out! However this is not just a pd trait by any stretch of imagination!
In fact after the leeds win in the championship he could've and should've shut up shop more than he did! If we'd played in the same way as the leicester game on the last day of that season in any of the 6 games prior to that we'd probably (tho obviously not certain) stayed up!

For me he (and after 2 and a bit years) his lack of game plan, tactical nous and his uncanny ability to turn decent players into poor ones has not improved! Time to go I'm afraid - tho I've always wanted him to succeed! My optimism (especially this preseason with no takeover malarkies) has been high! Now it's shot to buggery unfortunately!

I hope the owners act swiftly before it's too late, there's lots of good stuff happening at the club backstage - but the bit that really matters - on a pitch on matchday has been inept and insipid for too long and stands a good chance of undermining all the positives behind the scenes and within the infrastructure of our fabulous club!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:39:07 am by Al4475 »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 26, 2015, 10:35:35 am by ravenrover »
Filo is right we lost last night due to our inability to control McGoldrick. He did very little in the 1st half playing up front but 2nd half controlled their attacks by dropping off our back 4 and playing in the space between defence and midfield, of which there was a lot. It needed a bit of a man marking job, a Keegan job?, but don't think our manager recognised that fact. Towards the end of the 2nd half McGoldrick had moved more over to our right to play on the inexperienced Lund, clever play from an experienced pro? He was totally unmarked in between Lund and Butler? for their 2nd goal and laid on their 3rd.
Now tell me something if I an unqualified spectator and others around me could see that problem why couldn't our qualified manager?
Overall it was an improvement on recent games but Saturday is now important, not that I think for one moment it will have any effect on PD's position I can't see him being sacked after all they have stood by him for 2 seasons of at times inept management so why should things change this season, no we will see how a team down to the bare bones playerwise will perform against a team in the top half of OUR Division. I'll be there but I fear the worse but as I have said elsewhere PD is likely to get the win that takes the pressure off ......again

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 26, 2015, 10:47:11 am by dickos1 »
Sorry dickos - that's one game! Yes I'm sure there are more too - but on the whole as JMT said we sit back and hope we can keep em out! However this is not just a pd trait by any stretch of imagination!
In fact after the leeds win in the championship he could've and should've shut up shop more than he did! If we'd played in the same way as the leicester game on the last day of that season in any of the 6 games prior to that we'd probably (tho obviously not certain) stayed up!

For me he (and after 2 and a bit years) his lack of game plan, tactical nous and his uncanny ability to turn decent players into poor ones has not improved! Time to go I'm afraid - tho I've always wanted him to succeed! My optimism (especially this preseason with no takeover malarkies) has been high! Now it's shot to buggery unfortunately!

I hope the owners act swiftly before it's too late, there's lots of good stuff happening at the club backstage - but the bit that really matters - on a pitch on matchday has been inept and insipid for too long and stands a good chance of undermining all the positives behind the scenes and within the infrastructure of our fabulous club!

I think there have been many games over the last 2 years, mainly away from home, I agree where we've done anything but sit back

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 26, 2015, 11:25:35 am by Al4475 »
Agreed dickos - but it's at home where the money is! And for me the 'don't sit back away from home but be pedestrian and sit back at the km' idea still hints at tactical naievity (sorry about the spelling) priorities are surely to perform well at home and keep the fans inside the km - that's where our main source of income comes from!

However WE are as much to blame at home as we're all too eager to moan and groan - so it's no surprise PD tries to work on containing teams at the km - all seems the wrong way round to me and that is still down to the manager and coaches before the players!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on August 26, 2015, 11:40:37 am by dickos1 »
I don't think we sit back at home, I think we struggle to break Teams down. But that is also down to the manager.
Teams will have gone to Bristol last year with the same mentality but they always broke them down.
We can't, and we couldn't under Saunders either.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on August 26, 2015, 01:59:54 pm by IDM »
The best example of us having a go, from what I can remember (not including Leeds 2nd half) was the Coventry home game last season.

That is the sort of play that got fans of their seats.  However the main protagonist of that game is out for 2 months!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on August 26, 2015, 02:33:18 pm by dickos1 »
We didn't sit back at Crawley either I seem to remember

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 26, 2015, 05:56:36 pm by jmt »
It's ok picking one offs where we went at the opposition, in the main when we score first, we have a period "toying" with them, as if to say "we've scored and now we will embarrass you with our footballing skills", this always leads the players into thinking they are in a testimonial or friendly game and they relax, inevitably the sucker punch comes. This also has the effect of making fans think we are better than we are. How many times have you come away thinking" we dominated them, they were lucky to get that goal"
I really didn't like dean Saunders style of play, but they were professional.
If any of the team including the management look on here, win the game, then try and impersonate Barcelona!

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 26, 2015, 06:00:53 pm by Yorkiered »
I am not sure it is a case of sitting back and toying with the opposition. I think it is more a case of we score first but then cannot finnish teams off.
There was some of that last night. How much possesion did we have after scoring before Ipswich scored their first goal?
We just don't have that killer touch.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on August 26, 2015, 06:42:53 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Seem to remember the gent that Saunders brought in did a good job in getting that promotion side fit and keeping them fit.

That side was bereft of any real footballing talent but was fitter and more committed than any other. When it mattered eg 93rd minute away at Stevenage we were top dog.

Mal Purchase, currenty with Saunders at Chesterfield. Top class fitness trainer who made all the difference not just in fitness but in mentality.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 26, 2015, 06:53:05 pm by les@donr »
The team needs to built around Williams, not Williams trying to fit into a tactical plan that doesn't suit his style of play. If you buy a striker with 20+ goals a season in him, get the players around him feed the ball so he can score. It's not rocket science!

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 26, 2015, 07:02:19 pm by grayx »
Nobody won actually. It was a draw, ask Dickos.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on August 26, 2015, 07:24:15 pm by dickos1 »
Correct.
Can't believe people don't understand
If you went bookies and put £50 on a draw you would've won

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 26, 2015, 07:28:12 pm by grayx »
Correct.
Can't believe people don't understand
If you went bookies and put £50 on a draw you would've won

Yep, and both teams went into the draw for the next round..... err hang on a minute.
I guess we were lucky to be playing as we only drew with leeds in the last round.
I rest my case your honour.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on August 26, 2015, 11:10:32 pm by dickos1 »
We drew both games flower.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 27, 2015, 12:29:36 am by NickDRFC »
Don't know why there is so much debate with this...we drew the game (in 90 minutes) but lost the tie (in 120). Why there have been so many arguments about it on here is ridiculous.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 27, 2015, 01:53:44 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Paul makes very little sense at times, during the relegation season, he put out teams that were wide open and totally attacking, he drops a league and becomes ultra defensive.
Yes the players are different but how can the way you go about things be such polar opposites?.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on August 27, 2015, 08:25:54 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Fear!

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 27, 2015, 08:38:50 am by grayx »
Don't know why there is so much debate with this...we drew the game (in 90 minutes) but lost the tie (in 120). Why there have been so many arguments about it on here is ridiculous.

Yeah thanks for your clarification.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012