Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 04:37:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: No Wellens today  (Read 50871 times)

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
Re: No Wellens today
« Reply #120 on August 30, 2015, 11:24:50 am by Lifelong supporter »
It's really strange how some people feel the need to slag players off.
Richie Wellens has been one of the best midfield men to play for the club in the last fifty years and it's been a joy to have him here.
Even this season his vision and passing ability have been on another level.
Like others I don't like the frustration he has shown at times when other players haven't quite been on the same wavelength.
But he has encouraged Harry Middleton and helped to bring him on and his interplay with Copps, one of the few of a similar ability while he has been here, has been great to watch.
Is it too much to ask to wish him well wherever he goes...except when he's playing against us?
Whatever happens he will leave big boots to fill.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on August 30, 2015, 11:27:57 am by IDM »
It's really strange how some people feel the need to slag players off.
Richie Wellens has been one of the best midfield men to play for the club in the last fifty years and it's been a joy to have him here.
Even this season his vision and passing ability have been on another level.
Like others I don't like the frustration he has shown at times when other players haven't quite been on the same wavelength.
But he has encouraged Harry Middleton and helped to bring him on and his interplay with Copps, one of the few of a similar ability while he has been here, has been great to watch.
Is it too much to ask to wish him well wherever he goes...except when he's playing against us?
Whatever happens he will leave big boots to fill.

I couldn't agree more.  Wellens isn't perfect, but when he's on form he;s up there with the best in this division.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on August 30, 2015, 11:46:55 am by acko »
 why would wellens want to leave if people on here are to be beleived on wages of two men,decent contract.he could just sit and take his money if its that good,i think its deeper than that and a good offer is on the cards elswhere and if he goes good luck to him he was a major part in the best years of rovers recent history.maybe it could be a start of a clear out,jones and copps both i assume are top earners.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on August 30, 2015, 11:55:44 am by Al4475 »
Not sure on jones, tho I would imagine forrester is on a very good wage alongside copps!

Wellens has been great in the past, and if he can get that final one last payday good luck to him!

Despite my mixed feelings about his last spell with us he was immense first time out - that amazing goal he scored at the km v coventry about 6 years ago ranks among the very best I've seen from a rovers player!

I think he's past his shelf-life and his 'team' ethic with us this time round has waned somewhat which is why I would say to him, "thank's for the amazingy good times and good luck if you move on!"

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on August 30, 2015, 12:32:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It'll be fascinating to see who this Championship side is.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on August 30, 2015, 12:34:23 pm by Chris Black come back »
Bet it is Huddersfield Town. Closer to Manc and sufficiently shit to benefit from Wellens. Also sniffed around him last season.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on August 30, 2015, 12:50:51 pm by eastender »
Bet it is Huddersfield Town. Closer to Manc and sufficiently shit to benefit from Wellens. Also sniffed around him last season.

They're about to lose Jacob Butterfield so might see Wellens as a temporary replacement

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on August 30, 2015, 12:53:28 pm by Filo »
I know we probably won't get a fee for him, but if a club is showing an interest in a contracted player surely they would be willing to pay some sort of fee?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on August 30, 2015, 01:00:35 pm by Copps is Magic »
We paid £150k for Theo so anything is possible.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on August 30, 2015, 01:01:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Copps

Aye. £150k for a player who scored 5 goals in 19 starts in Tier 2. Superb business.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on August 30, 2015, 01:06:54 pm by Retdon1 »
If we carnt get a fee for him maybe get a loan player for the season of the club he goes to.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on August 30, 2015, 01:07:04 pm by Copps is Magic »
or 14 (/19) starts without a goal in a relegation season.

I won't be remembering that as a 'superb' bit of business. Maybe we have different standards.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on August 30, 2015, 01:16:06 pm by Yorkiered »
Come on you lot. Stop living in the past. Yes he was a good player for us but that was some time ago now. In my opinion this season he has held us back. I certainly don't see him helping the youngsters. He often looks a bit of a bully shouting at players when they make mistakes and lets face it he makes enough himself.
I for one certainly don't think he will be missed.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on August 30, 2015, 01:21:37 pm by TheFunk »
I still think he was our best player in our last season in the championship. The battle he had with Joey Barton in the QPR game was in my opinion his finest game for us.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on August 30, 2015, 01:26:17 pm by The Red Baron »
I still think he was our best player in our last season in the championship. The battle he had with Joey Barton in the QPR game was in my opinion his finest game for us.

He was good in that season and his injury in the Leeds game cost us dear. Apart from his performance at, of all places, Burton last season, I was disappointed. Either he's gone in the legs or he can't get himself up for League One.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on August 30, 2015, 01:29:48 pm by acko »
you only miss someone or something when you aint go them anymore,lets hope losing wellens wont be in that mould

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on August 30, 2015, 01:33:19 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Am I wrong in saying that the word CHAMPIONSHIP wasn't mentioned in the interview. If I'm wrong then please correct me. Are we not making an assumption that he wants to play at that level. Thanks in advance.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on August 30, 2015, 01:40:46 pm by acko »
its all conjector and guess work at the moment lincs. but it could be a conference club but one thing is certain he will have been offered a better contract hes on now.we will all know by tuesday

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on August 30, 2015, 01:42:53 pm by Filo »
its all conjector and guess work at the moment lincs. but it could be a conference club but one thing is certain he will have been offered a better contract hes on now.we will all know by tuesday

How can it be all conjecture and guess work when something is certain?

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on August 30, 2015, 01:46:49 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Filo
I believe his response was in relation to the level RW will be playing at.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on August 30, 2015, 01:52:19 pm by Jonathan »
Did Jack Payne ever get signed by anyone? Could he be the replacement lined up?

As far as I'm aware he's still at Peterborough. They're asking a fee which I don't think anyone has met, yet.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on August 30, 2015, 03:20:38 pm by boro_rover »
I would be amazed if Ipswich wanted him. I don't think he has anything like the quality to be pushing for a place in one of the teams who are looking for promotion.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on August 30, 2015, 05:50:39 pm by steve@dcfd »
Come on you lot. Stop living in the past. Yes he was a good player for us but that was some time ago now. In my opinion this season he has held us back. I certainly don't see him helping the youngsters. He often looks a bit of a bully shouting at players when they make mistakes and lets face it he makes enough himself.
I for one certainly don't think he will be missed.

He won't be missed, if he goes, if we bring in a younger player who  can create chances for the strikers but also have the stamina to get up down.

If we bring in another workman like player then we will have lost creativity from the side.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on August 30, 2015, 06:12:35 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
has anyone thought there might be a clause in Wellens contract that says if fit Dickov has to play him just guessing

wonder if someone press-ganged him with a shilling to join " the navy lark" at PortsMOTH   .......  he can't stay long at Rovers "butterfly"

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on August 30, 2015, 06:19:35 pm by les@donr »
We should sign the lad from Swindon who fed the ball to Williams.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #145 on August 30, 2015, 06:48:55 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Wellens and Copps played off each other and were head and shoulders above the rest of the team in terms of football brains.

He will be greatly missed by Copps, and it could result in Copps' losing form and jeopardising his attempt at the club's record number of appearances.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on August 30, 2015, 06:54:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB

Aye. Butterfly effect probably means that there'll be an outbreak of necrotising faceitis in the Goole area as well. Maybe we'll appreciate Wellens then.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on August 30, 2015, 07:10:03 pm by Lifelong supporter »

I don't think it is a Championship club.
But it is a decent club all the same and I think there is a particular reason for him wanting to talk to them.
It might be that they can't agree terms and if he doesn't go I hope we all welcome him back.
If he does go I reckon Dickov will spend all the money on a player from a higher division.
He's always rated Richie and he'll want someone good to replace him.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on August 30, 2015, 07:16:19 pm by IDM »
According to PD he has a player in mind already..

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on August 30, 2015, 07:22:57 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I hope it wasn't Cameron Stewart.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012