Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 05:14:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: No Wellens today  (Read 50901 times)

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
Re: No Wellens today
« Reply #90 on August 29, 2015, 08:38:14 pm by Northants Nomad »
I'm guessing a club closer to his home. He must fancy staying that side of the Pennines this winter.

Not too bothered personally about him leaving. When he plays he's too much of a focal point and all teams need to do is snuff him out. That's split a bit when Keegan joins him but without, we're too obvious in midfield. Without him, we are more varied and less dependent upon a single person. Good player, past his best and arguably just a little too big headed.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on August 29, 2015, 08:46:00 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I think it's naive to think we could bring in two players of the quality we need on the wages he frees up.  He'll be one of the higher earners no doubt but not double the earnings of anyone with established quality.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on August 29, 2015, 08:50:12 pm by Askern_reds »
it would be nice to get 2 in for him, wonder if this as been the problem from day one, love to see us kick on now and show this idiot were well shut of him

Donny Viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on August 29, 2015, 09:08:36 pm by Donny Viking »
I think it's naive to think we could bring in two players of the quality we need on the wages he frees up.  He'll be one of the higher earners no doubt but not double the earnings of anyone with established quality.
Not naive at all, I never said 'established quality' - if they are 'established quality' then they would have been signed by somebody else or will be expensive. It's no secret that Wellens is our highest paid player - he had interest from championship clubs when we signed him (thanks Mr Ryan - best intentions). But 2 quality league 2 players or league 1 at smaller clubs ready to step up would not be out of  our reach. We want the next Wellens not the established Wellens.  PD do your magic!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on August 29, 2015, 09:10:23 pm by IDM »
  PD do your magic!

Who's going to be the first to post "disappear"? :suicide:

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on August 29, 2015, 10:15:00 pm by boro_rover »
Whatever he is on will be a good whack in this division. There are still some decent quality frees out there who will be considering a drop in wages to at least guarentee themselves a wage.

I'm fairly sure his wages would cover a couple of decent players to add some depth.

I don't think Ritchie is as good as he thinks he is now, and I have had the impression he feels some people are lucky to play alongside him. But the truth is he isn't the Wellens that went to Leicester. He used to be a top drawer championship player - I do t even think he is top league one standard these days.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on August 29, 2015, 11:37:01 pm by les@donr »
Perhaps a move to Stalybridge is in the reckoning?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on August 29, 2015, 11:51:24 pm by pib »
Been a shadow of his former self since we got relegated.

Legs have completely gone and he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is any more.

Ta-ra Richie. Thanks for the memories.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on August 30, 2015, 02:56:28 am by mushRTID »
Did Jack Payne ever get signed by anyone? Could he be the replacement lined up?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on August 30, 2015, 03:00:38 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I see it being Ipswich, they have almost everything to get promoted, except a central midfielder who can slow things down a bit, i just have a feeling Mick McCarthy noticed that when we played them, and see's him as just what he is looking for, with probably no fee involved.
As long as Wellens has been here, his ability has been admired, but not the person he is, a surly individual who looks after number one, you might say ''It's a short career, he has to''!.

But in my opinion when you are an experienced player you don't destroy young players confidence, you try and help them be the best they can.
We have always been his drop back option if others didn't want him, and for that reason he will never be seen as a legend at the club, like Coppinger is.
It's done us a massive favour, i just hope the board don't cheapskate and make do with what we have, for his wages that i would expect him to be on, i would think two promising players could be added, don't waste it on loans, build a team.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on August 30, 2015, 09:24:14 am by Filo »
I'm amazed that a championsip club are interested in him, he's way past his best and no where good enough for that division. Basically he's stolen a wage here since it dawned on him no one wanted him when he spat the dummy out last time, the decent performances have been few and far between

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on August 30, 2015, 09:26:35 am by DRFCSouth »
I don't see it being Ipswich. Why would they jeopardise their position? He'd be lucky to get many league one clubs after him. Not a top level championship player now at all.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on August 30, 2015, 09:32:35 am by dknward2 »
People what are we doing we need to be saying what loss he would be otherwise we may get stuck with him

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on August 30, 2015, 09:36:47 am by Al4475 »
I was thinking Ipswich myself actually as unlikely as it probably is...

He's already been there.
MM obviously likes/respects him as seen by the massive cuddle and stuff they gave each other after the Ipswich game. RW also seemed pally and close to a fair few of their players as they all left the pitch - not something generally associated with RW.

As daft as it sounds, if RW's prepared to not be the big 'star' of the team and if he's prepared to do the job a widely respected manager like MM wants him to do - he could just get that one last shot and payday again!

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on August 30, 2015, 09:39:37 am by grayx »
I wonder if Wellens not playing today was the motivation for the rest of the team to show theyre better without him. Its been commented about him having "disagreements" with team mates recently. If Wellens is the potential " bad apple" in the squad then get rid.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on August 30, 2015, 09:52:27 am by The Red Baron »
Championship sides with big budgets like Ipswich often want squad players. He wouldn't be playing every week but the manager would know he could slot in and do a job for him. That would be good for Richie because I think he struggles now with the Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday routine.

I'm guessing McCarthy thinks that some of the promising lads they fielded on Tuesday aren't quite ready to be playing if they are going to be a top six side. He'll probably want to loan one or two out and we might get some benefit.

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on August 30, 2015, 09:55:27 am by Tiddysdad »
Bet he's still here Tuesday.
But if we aren't going to get a fee for him why can't we just terminate his contract. Thus freeing up his wages and also giving him the opportunity to find a club at his leasure. I think I'm right in thinking players out of contract can be signed at any time so he wouldn't have the constriction of the transfer window. Plus Mr Dikov can fill a space in the team with someone who at least wants to play.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 10:03:12 am by Tiddysdad »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on August 30, 2015, 09:57:38 am by dickos1 »
He won't go anywhere to be a squad player I think he'll only go somewhere where he's likely to play

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on August 30, 2015, 10:05:02 am by wing commander »
Bet he's still here Tuesday.

Oh I do hope not,I've been wanting this for a year...IMO its as important to our development as a new manager..Now we can play with 11 men at last

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on August 30, 2015, 10:25:00 am by Tiddysdad »

I feel he should have gone earlier. He doesn't allow freedom or flair from youngsters. He also gives me the impression it's never his fault. Thus making others feel down.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on August 30, 2015, 11:03:59 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I suspect he and his agent are desperately trying to find a club as we speak. If rumours are true, we need rid and off the wage bill. Not sure whether he will be able to sit on his contract.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on August 30, 2015, 11:08:02 am by IDM »
Wellens can still do a great job, in centre mid, especially in a team when the other players a) do the running and b) are on the same wavelength as him.

Sometimes Richie plays a pass, or tries to play a pass here, that the others don't read..

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on August 30, 2015, 11:10:13 am by Yorkiered »
Wellens can still do a great job, in centre mid, especially in a team when the other players a) do the running and b) are on the same wavelength as him.

Sometimes Richie plays a pass, or tries to play a pass here, that the others don't read..

Equally he often gets caught in his own half or tries an impossible pass and we end up in trouble.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on August 30, 2015, 11:13:15 am by IDM »
Maybe, but a different team brings a different dynamic? 

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on August 30, 2015, 11:14:07 am by Copps is Magic »
I don't care about Wellens' football abilities any more. He's clearly stated he doesn't want to play for this club (as per Copps' interview). That's sufficient for me to say farewell and enjoy the rest of your career. Don't want him at this club.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on August 30, 2015, 11:15:36 am by Donnywolf »

Sounds a bit like Albert "Yogi" Broadbent - he used to do that a lot !

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on August 30, 2015, 11:17:22 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
No doubt about his ability. Some doubt about his endurance and more doubts about his outspokenness. Expect we've seen that last of him.

The team may benefit by having to take responsibility themselves and not over rely on RW being the ball player.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on August 30, 2015, 11:20:25 am by Yorkiered »
No doubt about his ability. Some doubt about his endurance and more doubts about his outspokenness. Expect we've seen that last of him.

The team may benefit by having to take responsibility themselves and not over rely on RW being the ball player.

I think there was evidence of that yesterday.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on August 30, 2015, 11:23:09 am by steve@dcfd »

Unless we get another centre midfield creative player we will not improve what is an average midfield.

Unless Chaplow improves he is not the centre midfield player we need.
Middleton works hard but yesterday he was used to cover Chaplow when we play with two in the centre.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on August 30, 2015, 11:23:27 am by Lipsy »
Shame he wants to go, but only in so much that I have rose-tints for certain players and a certain time in the now distant past. If yesterday's performance was any indication of what the future has in store for us in a Wellens-less world, ta-ta and thanks for what you did on the pitch.  :byebye:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012