Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:56:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Update - new manager search  (Read 23370 times)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
Re: Update - new manager search
« Reply #30 on September 12, 2015, 03:08:52 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
have thought about stuart gray and initially dismissed him immediately then it dawned on me

if rovers were in the championship he would have been an excellent choice as a survival manager ;;;  a keep you in the division manager

but for promotion you need a different type of manager 

still mark cooper doesn't appear on that list

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on September 14, 2015, 03:35:53 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Do we still get the update today?

donnyguy61

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on September 14, 2015, 04:56:16 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Thanks matey.  Is the long approach the right one? I'm not so sure...

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 14, 2015, 05:12:59 pm by PaulRover08 »
Hope i'm wrong, really do, but these comments regarding the High Calibre are exactly what we heard last time and if reports are true we ended up with a choice of Dickov or Appleton. Would hate to see who the others were. I'd rather we approached a manager in work thats doing a good job. Who knows, we might do eventually.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 14, 2015, 05:30:52 pm by Copps is Magic »
Hope i'm wrong, really do, but these comments regarding the High Calibre are exactly what we heard last time and if reports are true we ended up with a choice of Dickov or Appleton. Would hate to see who the others were. I'd rather we approached a manager in work thats doing a good job. Who knows, we might do eventually.

Fan speculation only inflates expectations as well. I've seen three championship managers currently in a job (!) mentioned so far - McCarthy, Evans and Dyche. We'd struggle to get a league one manager currently in a job let alone a championship one.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on September 14, 2015, 05:41:28 pm by Al4475 »
Long approach right one? I'm not so sure either andy! One would hope that the long approach will get someone in who really wants the job and has thought about the decision carefully having a look at potential other jobs, realising ours is the one he (or she) wants above all others! On the flipside dallying could mean losing out if other similar vacancies (posh, oldham) come into account! If that happens I go back to the initial point of wanting our job above all others! Imo this is a critical appointment that will have long term ramifications to the future of the club moreso than saunders/dickov - we're at a crossroads and I would hope that a thorough detailed search wuld come good! Given that we're not known for sacking managers in a knee-jerk way I'd expect we won't appoint in a knee-jerk way either! Time wll tell!b however if somebody really high-brow and seemingly perfect for the role declared an interest quickly - you'd hope the process could be accelerated!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 14, 2015, 06:05:19 pm by Jonathan »
Presumably the above timescales will result in an appointment within 4-6 weeks of Dickov departing. That's not particularly unusual in football.

What the club are perhaps guilty of is over-communicating with the fans on the process. I like it as it's transparent and manages expectations, but I do worry slightly about what we'll be able to release in the next scheduled update on Monday (21st) as the timescales indicate there'll be nothing more definitive to say at that stage. Still, I applaud the effort and intent to engage. Ironic really as communication is something that's attracted criticism in the past, along with a perception of operating below the radar, and on this occasion it's the open process (that's been communicated) seemingly causing concern!

The way I see it, unless they were abundantly clear that one specific individual was right for the job, this is a sound approach to ensuring a reasonable coverage of candidates before making a very big decision. I know there are names out there that we could seemingly appoint right away (Redfearn for example) but I'm not sure there's anything on his CV worthy of jumping the gun for. It's far more sensible to scrutinise his qualities alongside other candidates before making the call. It may be that we still appoint him, it may be that he was never in the running, but at least we'll know there's been a thorough evaluation process.

It's entirely plausible that the club (and agents) are busy inviting expressions of interest from candidates already in employment ahead of the application deadline. Realistically we can't expect to be told that.

I know it's not something that comes easily to us, but I think we have to put some trust in this one.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 06:11:21 pm by Jonathan »

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 14, 2015, 06:15:49 pm by Dare to dream! »
Lets sacrifice the next 2-3 weeks to get the next 2-3 years right

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 14, 2015, 06:19:46 pm by Copps is Magic »
What the club are perhaps guilty of is over-communicating with the fans on the process. I like it as it's transparent and manages expectations, but I do worry slightly about what we'll be able to release in the next scheduled update on Monday (21st) as the timescales indicate there'll be nothing more definitive to say at that stage. Still, I applaud the effort and intent to engage. Ironic really as communication is something that's attracted criticism in the past, along with a perception of operating below the radar, and on this occasion it's the open process (that's been communicated) seemingly causing concern!

I don't think so, personally. Although they haven't told us anything new a lot of people seem to have already given Redfearn the job, so by reiterating that they haven't even drafted a shrot-list yet, they're implicitly saying that those rumours are false. I also think they're buggered if they don't because some people will get jittery and start questioning what are the board doing/why are they taking so long (especially if we continue losing). I still read things as they're giving Jones and 5 games and if it doesn't work out we'll have the best candidate for the long term of the club.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 14, 2015, 06:30:47 pm by Cramby10 »
Lets sacrifice the next 2-3 weeks to get the next 2-3 years right
Exactly! We've totally and utterly wasted the last two and a bit years, so what difference will a couple of weeks make!?

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 14, 2015, 06:46:42 pm by essexrover »
No Brian Deane on the list. I thought, as he's been cutting his teeth in Norway AND he's an ex-player,the bookies would've had him on the list. Im not saying if he'd be any good or not though !

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 14, 2015, 09:00:00 pm by Draytonian III »
I'm sorry, I just don't get this obsession with Neil Redfearn being the next manager. He won a few games at Leeds ,but apart from that. I know he has done well with various junior sides including Leeds, but being a FULL   TIME club manager is totally different.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 14, 2015, 09:42:56 pm by Askern_reds »
warnock 33-1 hope he fancys a go with us, can't wait to see short list

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 14, 2015, 09:44:54 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Once again, it's a difficult time for fans to hold their nerve. I agree the board seem to be wanting to give Jones a chance to show what he can do. Fair? I think so.

In that time if there any serious candidates of the right quality who desire the job, not just because it's another job, but they see it as a project and have some real vision, then they will still be there when the shortlisting comes around.

If you were a serious candidate, wouldn't you do some homework and prepare by providing the board with a plan? Identify strengths and weaknesses. Provide a couple of transfer targets to address the weaknesses?

Yep, no need to rush.

murham

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 14, 2015, 09:45:04 pm by murham »
The long delay is to give Jonesy a go
He is the cheap option they want and keep the fans happy
They are stalling
Cheap and......................... As ever

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 14, 2015, 09:51:22 pm by Askern_reds »
wonder who suddenly starts to come and watch? think a manager watch should start

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on September 14, 2015, 09:56:43 pm by IDM »
warnock 33-1 hope he fancys a go with us, can't wait to see short list

I don't think the shortlist will be made public.  We'll know when it has been made, apparently, but not who is on it I reckon.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 14, 2015, 10:45:47 pm by Alan Southstand »
IMHO, I think we need a manager who has a promotion on his cv. As much as I like RJ, he will be a risky appointment, to say the least. He could prove a success, but how long would it take for him to get it right? Would he ever get it right?

We would all have a lot more confidence if the Board went with experience and a guy who has been there, done it and knows what it takes to get there. Whether this Board has the stomach for it, remains to be seen, but the fact that they're not football men, that would be the mind I would be looking for to fulfil my stated ambition of getting back to Championship football.

RJ needs to gain that experience alongside the new man, whoever it is, and if he would be open to such a suggestion.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 14, 2015, 10:53:28 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think we need a manager like SOD, with a fitness coach like Mal Purchase. Failing that, a Lawrie McMenemy disciplinarian type.

thorne viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on September 14, 2015, 11:07:12 pm by thorne viking »
IMHO, I think we need a manager who has a promotion on his cv. As much as I like RJ, he will be a risky appointment, to say the least. He could prove a success, but how long would it take for him to get it right? Would he ever get it right?

We would all have a lot more confidence if the Board went with experience and a guy who has been there, done it and knows what it takes to get there. Whether this Board has the stomach for it, remains to be seen, but the fact that they're not football men, that would be the mind I would be looking for to fulfil my stated ambition of getting back to Championship football.

RJ needs to gain that experience alongside the new man, whoever it is, and if he would be open to such a suggestion.
My first choice would be Brian Mcdermott,but with all that seems to be happening at swindon would Mark Cooper fancy a new challenge,there is no doubt he is one of the best managers about just now,but with him being on a rolling contract does that stop him applying for a new job,I hope I am wrong but I couldn't see DW & TB if he didn't apply,going to the Swindon board and asking permission to speak to him

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on September 14, 2015, 11:10:38 pm by Copps is Magic »

What if he's cheap and successful?

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on September 14, 2015, 11:55:07 pm by Akinfenwa »
I would love to see us go for Tisdale from Exeter, I reckon he pretty much ticks every box we're looking for. Unfortunately though I doubt we'd be able to tempt him up here.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on September 15, 2015, 12:52:34 am by silent majority »
They are stalling

You think its about saving money?

Having a cheap manager and floundering in LG1 is definitely not the cheap option. Why would you have a squad that earn millions each year and yet be happy to save £50k or so on a managers salary?

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on September 15, 2015, 01:10:40 am by eastender »
They are stalling

Having a cheap manager and floundering in LG1 is definitely not the cheap option. Why would you have a squad that earn millions each year and yet be happy to save £50k or so on a managers salary?
The simple answer to that is (And I don't believe this is the case) that in 2 years time you've saved 100K on managers  wages , but 10 times that amount on reducing the squad wages by natural down grading through contract expiries and employing cheaper options.  :unsure:

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on September 15, 2015, 03:05:11 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Get the right man, it doesn't have to be a big name, just somebody who will come into the club, create some excitement with his ideas and enthusiasm, somebody who the supporters can see what he is trying to do, and plays football that wins games and is easy on the eye!.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on September 15, 2015, 12:30:25 pm by silent majority »
They are stalling

The simple answer to that is (And I don't believe this is the case) that in 2 years time you've saved 100K on managers  wages , but 10 times that amount on reducing the squad wages by natural down grading through contract expiries and employing cheaper options.  :unsure:

Yes, but when the ambition is to be promoted from LG1, with a salary budget to match, it just doesn't make any sense.

If appointing Jonesy was the objective then why bother holding interviews? Why bother appointing fitness coaches and psychologists, or having a strong commercial and media team. There's so many ways of saving money if that's the intention, just going for Rob Jones so save a few quid is hardly the dastardly plan that some people would have us believe.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on September 15, 2015, 04:01:11 pm by Alan Southstand »
Yes, but when the ambition is to be promoted from LG1, with a salary budget to match, it just doesn't make any sense.

Can we just change that to 'publicly stated' ambition? And I'm not sure our 'budget' matches anything approaching  a club going for promotion to the Championship. The players signed in the summer have all been free's (yes, I appreciate their wages have to be allowed for) and we don't have anywhere near the numbers in our ranks to mount a reasonable assault on the top 6 and then maintain it.

If you are saying it is such a budget, then where is the proof? Its easy to trot something out like that, but it just doesn't hold water, SM.

I agree wholeheartedly with your last para, by the way, except to say that fitness and psychology coaches were appointed under PD, possibly at his request. They can easily be gotten rid of, now that PD has been removed from office, depending on their contracts of course.

It does appear to be a 'cheap solution' on the face of it, until such time that interviews are completed and an announcement of a new manager made. It may well be that they are just going through the motions to satisfy the masses, who knows? After all, after PD was announced, it was proclaimed that he was the outstanding candidate - it didn't say much for the then competition, did it? You could argue what was the point of going through an interview stage back then - but they did!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on September 15, 2015, 04:17:04 pm by silent majority »
Alan,

Players being signed on a free is no way to gauge what your budget is. Throughout the UEFA area something like 95% of transfers don't include a fee, yes we all see the headline signings that some PL clubs make but that doesn't tell the story. UEFA themselves have signalled that we may soon see the end of transfer fees altogether.

As for the actual budget itself, its a matter of public record what clubs spend on salaries, and sooner or later they have to disclose that. At the start of every season every club, (and at stages throughout the same season) have to provide the FL with detailed budgets, its part of FFP, and the FL will report back as to how that club shapes up. There is not many hiding places for clubs these days.

But I repeat, if it is a cheap option then why do it this way?. Surely the cheapest option would be to keep PD in place?

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on September 15, 2015, 05:12:26 pm by Yorkiered »
Alan,

Players being signed on a free is no way to gauge what your budget is. Throughout the UEFA area something like 95% of transfers don't include a fee, yes we all see the headline signings that some PL clubs make but that doesn't tell the story. UEFA themselves have signalled that we may soon see the end of transfer fees altogether.

As for the actual budget itself, its a matter of public record what clubs spend on salaries, and sooner or later they have to disclose that. At the start of every season every club, (and at stages throughout the same season) have to provide the FL with detailed budgets, its part of FFP, and the FL will report back as to how that club shapes up. There is not many hiding places for clubs these days.

But I repeat, if it is a cheap option then why do it this way?. Surely the cheapest option would be to keep PD in place?

When the club discloses what it spends on salaries does that figure include everyone on DRFC's payroll from the CEO down?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012