Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 10:31:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ffs rovers  (Read 10799 times)

newyankee

• VSC Member
Re: Ffs rovers
« Reply #30 on September 12, 2015, 06:39:16 pm by newyankee »
What worries me and I hope is a worry to others, is, " Who is going to interview and select our next manager" ?    We do not have anyone on the Board including Baldwin who knows anything about football. Yes, they know business, but how will they assess a manager.  They can't include the players, they can't include Jones who is supposedly up for the job himself, so who will they get to  give them the run down on the interviewees.

I think what is also worrying is that some have felt Dickov lost the dressing room ( apart from Wellens I don't think so), the Peterborough players must have as they did what they did at Oldham. If we were in the same position we WOULD have done better at Walsall. This leads me to think the players are quite happy plodding on and picking up their wages.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 12, 2015, 06:40:08 pm by Dare to dream! »
Andy Butler is massively overrated by our fans, he's really not that good.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 12, 2015, 06:43:02 pm by bpoolrover »
Normal rules it's not just about putting ball in net, we didn't create any chances hardly all game,while the centre halves defended well all they did was punt it at the forwards head,the team in my opinion just are not good enough, on paper yes but in reality we will struggle to finish mid table unless the board release some funds and quite a lot of them

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on September 12, 2015, 06:44:45 pm by Al4475 »
Have to say I forgot all about macenzie! Lol!
 :facepalm:

However I haven't seen enough of him yet to pass judgement!

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 12, 2015, 06:46:38 pm by DRFCSouth »
Maybe we have the best on board to make a decision on the new manager. Afterall, they seem less likely to be swayed by emotion. They gave PD a fair crack. I see it more as a business decision, based on who interviews best. I trust them after seeing how they seem to have handled the PD situation.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on September 12, 2015, 06:49:57 pm by dickos1 »
I've been today, we weren't great, they weren't either.
Main had a great run and attempt in the first half Williams a great effort that was saved brilliantly in the 2nd.
Both sides gave the ball away a lot, Taylor was terrible, Lund good, chaplow not a centre midfielder, copps was poor,
I think gobern might turn out decent, Stewart in first half looked good, Williams had a poor game, main was a bit better but they're both working off scraps

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 12, 2015, 06:52:06 pm by bpoolrover »
I thought we were better last week than this,at least we created a few chanced

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 12, 2015, 06:52:31 pm by steve@dcfd »
@liamhoden: But, there has been little change from how Rovers started against Gillingham last week. No control in midfield #saddlers 0 #drfc 0 #starlive

This is the biggest job for Rob Jones or any manager is to get the best out of the midfield, in terms of personnel and structure. This area is the worse part of the team.

Yes we have played two good teams lately but the midfield have been poor all season.

For me so far this season people have complained about Wellens, but Coppinger and Chaplow have been below average in most games not seen Gobern he may grow into the role?

It was good to see Stewart start to day instead of playing a reserve fullback there.

So a good striker scores two goals late on another 3 points lost.

Before next Saturday we need to sort out the midfield if Keegan is fit he must start. Then Rob must decide which other Three or Four players will be best for the team and performance. Hopefully the results will change.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 12, 2015, 08:03:01 pm by LincsRover »
Dickov out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh............

:facepalm:

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on September 12, 2015, 08:05:59 pm by dickos1 »
I forgot about coppingers volley as well, great effort and if main was on his toes he'd of had a tap in.
We had 5 attempts on target today, the keeper made a couple of great saves, we missed good chances last week, surely when we get one we will get a few

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on September 12, 2015, 08:13:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
First match I've been able to get to this season.

I was pleasantly surprised. We more than matched the second-best side in the division at the moment. We had better chances. Their keeper was deservedly MoM. We conceded from Avery bad individual mistake, then from what looked to me to be a clear foul on a Keegan, having not looked threatened all match.

Not taking at least a point from that game was very harsh. I KNOW we've failed to score again, but we made several extremely good chances and were denied by a number of very good saves. Those sort of things happen. But, given the general display (agreed, we didn't "control" the midfield, but neither were we controlled by Walsall) I am guardedly optimistic.

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 12, 2015, 08:17:18 pm by Tiddysdad »
Whose our best defender then Al?

Coppinger at full back

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 12, 2015, 08:21:28 pm by Copps is Magic »
It's not the defense that is the problem at the moment in any case. We've got the 5th best defence in the league. Jones and Butler is more than enough as a partnership. It's the other end of the pitch we need to work on.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 12, 2015, 08:24:09 pm by Askern_reds »
I did say a week or so back, if things continue as they are we will get relegated. I got shot down for saying such. Reality is now hitting. We should not blame Jones, its not his team nor signings, PD has to be blamed even though he has gone.
when PD made them sighnings every one was over the moon with them, now he's to blame? ffs wake up smell the coffe we can't go on with this style of magement PD and rj not good enough we need quality and fast

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 12, 2015, 08:39:44 pm by drfchound »
As has been said earlier, we have lost away to the two top games in the division.
Judging by reports from those who went (not seen it on telly) we have been unlucky to lose them and with better finishing we could have won both games.
The last time i ever felt as though we could score goals regularly and more importantly, get back into games if we went behind, was when Sharp had his good spell and was being backed up by Hayter.
Since then we have always looked as though we are struggling to score (with a very few exceptions).
Yes, managers are ultimately responsible for the failure to score but when players fail to put away gilt edged chances you can't really blame them.
Jones could hardly have had a tougher (sorry if that sounds like manager speak) game to start his tenure.

As for who is going to pick the next manager, well i would say there are plenty of our fans who know more thatn the Board, or so they would have you believe.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on September 12, 2015, 08:52:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Makes me laugh. There are plenty of examples of the past when people who reputedly know about football have made poor managerial appointments.

For now Jones has got work to do and I'm sure he'll make a difference. How much remains to be seen.

You wonder if a fresh pair of eyes are needed. Can't second guess who the board will appoint but a Redfearn and Jones partnership seems quite attractive to me.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 12, 2015, 09:55:44 pm by hoolahoop »
What worries me and I hope is a worry to others, is, " Who is going to interview and select our next manager" ?    We do not have anyone on the Board including Baldwin who knows anything about football. Yes, they know business, but how will they assess a manager.  They can't include the players, they can't include Jones who is supposedly up for the job himself, so who will they get to  give them the run down on the interviewees.

I think what is also worrying is that some have felt Dickov lost the dressing room ( apart from Wellens I don't think so), the Peterborough players must have as they did what they did at Oldham. If we were in the same position we WOULD have done better at Walsall. This leads me to think the players are quite happy plodding on and picking up their wages.

I agree with every word of that post. Forget all the 'knee-jerk' reactions about the ability of Jones or the constant
griping at Paul Dickov.

I believe the money and therefore quality was never there. The laziness , topping up of pension funds (Wellens)  was our problem NOT PD . I'm sure many will still blame him in 2/3 seasons time. Blame the lack of guts, flair and overall commitment of the players. No Dickov didn't lose the players...he probably never had the one's that reflected the way he persued his career. Gavin Baldwin seriously needs to talk to the owners and see who can be replaced before the trap door opens.
Poor preparations for 2 seasons running and the sacking of a manager who had only lost 2 games was frankly ridiculous. You got what you wanted from the start.....careful what you wish for. If Dickov couldn't make these players play in his style and  with his grit then without wholesale changes and a fair bit of cash neither will Jones or whoever is selected for the job.

The search for sustainability, the indecision of the owners over the last 3 years has cost us dear for years to come

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 12, 2015, 10:00:44 pm by Retdon1 »
Their wasn't much between the sides today, I though we looked very solid, we played abit of nice football and I though Stewart and Lund had very good games, our problem is we just don't look threatening going forward, we desperately need someone in the middle of the park to start creating chances for our strikers.

neil grainger

« Reply #48 on September 12, 2015, 10:19:13 pm by neil grainger »
Yes it's early days
But a relegation battle looms
It's back to the old days division 4 then up then down
Total mediocrity
Oh well
Up the Rovers

Well, that's cheered me up!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 12, 2015, 10:21:51 pm by dickos1 »
I will bet anyone as much as they like we won't be getting relegated, we've as much chance as Chelsea have of going down

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on September 12, 2015, 10:29:58 pm by Askern_reds »
I will bet anyone as much as they like we won't be getting relegated, we've as much chance as Chelsea have of going down
remember Man Utd 19-74 were to good to go down?

neil grainger

« Reply #51 on September 12, 2015, 10:40:20 pm by neil grainger »
First match I've been able to get to this season.

I was pleasantly surprised. We more than matched the second-best side in the division at the moment. We had better chances. Their keeper was deservedly MoM. We conceded from Avery bad individual mistake, then from what looked to me to be a clear foul on a Keegan, having not looked threatened all match.

Not taking at least a point from that game was very harsh. I KNOW we've failed to score again, but we made several extremely good chances and were denied by a number of very good saves. Those sort of things happen. But, given the general display (agreed, we didn't "control" the midfield, but neither were we controlled by Walsall) I am guardedly optimistic.

That makes me feel better BST, thanks for the report.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on September 12, 2015, 10:40:55 pm by dickos1 »

Won't happen

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on September 12, 2015, 10:44:46 pm by Askern_reds »

Won't happen
[/quote weel see? oh and by the way the lad who wanted a season ticket now because PD got sacked does he still want one?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on September 12, 2015, 10:47:07 pm by dickos1 »
Why wouldn't he

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on September 12, 2015, 10:49:50 pm by Askern_reds »
Why wouldn't he
thought might wait till we win a game :blush:

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on September 12, 2015, 10:54:57 pm by Copps is Magic »
I believe the money and therefore quality was never there. The laziness , topping up of pension funds (Wellens)  was our problem NOT PD . I'm sure many will still blame him in 2/3 seasons time. Blame the lack of guts, flair and overall commitment of the players. No Dickov didn't lose the players...he probably never had the one's that reflected the way he persued his career. Gavin Baldwin seriously needs to talk to the owners and see who can be replaced before the trap door opens.
Poor preparations for 2 seasons running and the sacking of a manager who had only lost 2 games was frankly ridiculous. You got what you wanted from the start.....careful what you wish for. If Dickov couldn't make these players play in his style and  with his grit then without wholesale changes and a fair bit of cash neither will Jones or whoever is selected for the job.

If Dickov's style was 'grit' surely he could have achieved that with any players regardless of how much they cost? Is that something money buys?

Of course, his (management) style never was actually based on grit was it. He actually wanted to play football on the floor but never quite got the right ingredients to do so.

The pensions thing is an over emphasised issue. Jones was always going to stay because he has a coaching role at the club. To the best of my knowledge, it was Dickov himself who chose to re-sign Wellens and Coppinger. The rest of the squad are of perfectly reasonable age.

I think we're in bad form but the signs are there we can turn it round. The owners have told us exactly how much money they've put in and that they want promotion this season. I don't know what more can be said - some people seem to see an apocalypse on the horizon despite these fact.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on September 12, 2015, 11:04:42 pm by Askern_reds »
enlighten me then how much av they put in? and compare to how much the rest of the teams owners av put in? Not that I no like just one a no

If Dickov's style was 'grit' surely he could have achieved that with any players regardless of how much they cost? Is that something money buys?

Of course, his (management) style never was actually based on grit was it. He actually wanted to play football on the floor but never quite got the right ingredients to do so.

The pensions thing is an over emphasised issue. Jones was always going to stay because he has a coaching role at the club. To the best of my knowledge, it was Dickov himself who chose to re-sign Wellens and Coppinger. The rest of the squad are of perfectly reasonable age.

I think we're in bad form but the signs are there we can turn it round. The owners have told us exactly how much money they've put in and that they want promotion this season. I don't know what more can be said - some people seem to see an apocalypse on the horizon despite these fact.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on September 12, 2015, 11:08:18 pm by Lesonthewest »
Maybe we have the best on board to make a decision on the new manager. Afterall, they seem less likely to be swayed by emotion. They gave PD a fair crack. I see it more as a business decision, based on who interviews best. I trust them after seeing how they seem to have handled the PD situation.

I agree, they have been here long enough now to actually see what they & the club needs. I trust them to make the right decision, just wish it could be sooner & get us out of the current mentality.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on September 12, 2015, 11:14:29 pm by Copps is Magic »
Askern,

Our owners told us at the last meet the owners that they had put in £16.6m into the club between them over the last 8 years. That's just over £2million collectively per year (obviously it will likely vary year on year)

I have no interest in going round each club finding out how much their respective owners have put in just because you want to know. However, I posted the following a while back. An interview with the Port Vale chairman where he clearly stated his personal contribution was £350,000. He also gave indication that they couldn't compete financially with the likes of us further in the interview.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33278741

TinyPortal © 2005-2012