Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 11:53:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Can anybody help with images of Charlie Williams?  (Read 6862 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Can anybody help with images of Charlie Williams?
« on January 15, 2016, 02:17:18 pm by silent majority »
There are plenty of images of Charlie Williams MBE during his stage career but I can only find one of him in a Rovers strip and not a very good one at that. Does anybody have any alternatives that we could use?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
Re: Can anybody help with images of Charlie Williams?
« Reply #1 on January 15, 2016, 02:19:17 pm by hoolahoop »
There are plenty of images of Charlie Williams MBE during his stage career but I can only find one of him in a Rovers strip and not a very good one at that. Does anybody have any alternatives that we could use?

Can I ask what we will be using it for ?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 15, 2016, 02:32:48 pm by silent majority »
Sure, as part of the Heritage Trail.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 15, 2016, 02:57:28 pm by graingrover »
Can you tell me more about the heritage trail please SM . Try Paul Goodwin .. he must have access to the archives of the Doncaster Sports papers and even if photos are only available in old newspapers I'm sure with today's software you could enhance and use them.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 15, 2016, 03:25:46 pm by Dutch Uncle »
SM - There is a picture of Charlie in the Book '100 Doncaster Rovers Greats' by Peter Tuffrey (presumably copyrighted)

I will check old DRFC handbooks from the 1950's - presumably I would be allowed to scan any picture there and send it to you?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 15, 2016, 04:54:52 pm by silent majority »
Can you tell me more about the heritage trail please SM . Try Paul Goodwin .. he must have access to the archives of the Doncaster Sports papers and even if photos are only available in old newspapers I'm sure with today's software you could enhance and use them.

Hi Brian,

If you walk around the stadium, and especially the concourses, you'll see a timeline of DRFC, Doncaster and some national issues alongside each other. During the week the club host parties of schoolkids and they walk around the stadium learning about the clubs history and that of Doncaster at the same time. When we first did it there were always plans to enhance it further.

So, the VSC added the murals of Belle Vue in the BVB and the club refurbished the Legends Suite during the summer. The plan is to fill in some of the gaps and focus on one or two individuals. So, as the VSC, we will hoping to be able to purchase another mural to form part of the Heritage Trail and focus on one of our more famous past players, Charlie Williams MBE.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 15, 2016, 05:05:15 pm by Dutch Uncle »
SM - is this related at all to the Heritage Project about 2 years ago when fans (including myself) filled in questionnaires? I am sure many wonderful anecdotes were gathered - have any of them been used, or available to be read anywhere?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 15, 2016, 05:07:48 pm by Colin C No.3 »
I have found a photo card of Charlie when he played for Skegness on the internet.

There are two team photo's that include Charlie (57-58 & 58-59) in Tony Bluff & Barry Watsons excellent book 'Donny. The official history of'.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 15, 2016, 05:54:19 pm by graingrover »
Thanks Martin . I think Bert Tindill deserves a special place in our Halls of Fame too.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 15, 2016, 07:33:17 pm by silent majority »
SM - is this related at all to the Heritage Project about 2 years ago when fans (including myself) filled in questionnaires? I am sure many wonderful anecdotes were gathered - have any of them been used, or available to be read anywhere?

Hi Dutch,

Yes its the same project. I don't think any of the anecdotes were used at the time, although I do remember that was the plan. There was a group of people selected to input what they could and I thought you were one of those? Anyway, we're just trying to give it another push to ensure that the project stays live and relevant.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 15, 2016, 07:49:54 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Very many thanks SM, and good luck with the project. I really must have a look the displays and murals next time I am at the Keepmoat (doesn't happen too often unfortunately).  Mind you there are plenty of murals to see over here in Northern Ireland in the meantime   ;)

I still think there might be quite a few gems amongst those anecdotes (yes I did send a form). Actually maybe it might be an idea for VSC to gather anecdotes from its members as well? Maybe during close season? I would be happy to help in such an effort.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 15, 2016, 08:25:44 pm by The Red Baron »
Dutch

I've got some of the forms on my computer. I'll drop you an email next week.

I'm making a bit of progress with checking goalscoring totals as well.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:27:50 pm by The Red Baron »

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 15, 2016, 10:04:50 pm by hoolahoop »
I want us to get a giant balloon of my personal favourite Syd Bycroft , I want it tethering at the entrance to reflect our grit, determination and finally continuation against all odds.

Bycroft was just that sort of player from the days when loyalty to a club really mattered.

1936-51 .................333 appearances.

1958 manager.

I would trade almost anything to have the opportunity to see him play . Yes I Loved Kitch and Big Bren, caught the end but not the majesty of King Alick, Loved Sir Francis Tierney, Snods . I even heard tales of Bert Tindill and many of our other greats but I have this thing about Bycroft as he seemed to be the reflection of all that's great about our club. Copps is our modern equivalent such a rare breed at any club.

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 15, 2016, 11:25:21 pm by RoversDave »
This photo was found on the www years ago. it's the Rovers at Leyton Orient in the FA Cup.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 16, 2016, 09:57:51 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
What a great photo. Harry Gregg in goal as well as me old flower.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 16, 2016, 10:05:37 am by Filo »

Aye, no gloves in those days for the keepers

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 16, 2016, 10:25:54 am by Highland Rover »
I have a magazine cut out , approx. 6x 4 , head and shoulders image of Charlie in a training top .

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 16, 2016, 12:26:29 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Absolutely top class photo - just great for a mural  :thumbsup:

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 16, 2016, 02:41:28 pm by graingrover »
Who needs gloves ... not our Harry!

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 16, 2016, 05:13:40 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Love the stylish rolled up sleeves on Charlie there  :cool:

Fascinating pic though - nearly an own goal or did Charlie often have that "thumping" expression?

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 16, 2016, 05:17:08 pm by afro goal machine »
Is the kit charlie wearing red with white V ???

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 16, 2016, 05:21:06 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Is the kit charlie wearing red with white V ???

Yep, the 1956-57 strip.

GlennKirkwoodFanClub

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 21, 2016, 08:24:35 pm by GlennKirkwoodFanClub »
How about this one

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 21, 2016, 08:32:11 pm by godlike1 »
I have to say that the timeline is a great thing and must be unique to the club at least within the concourse. I think if it can be expanded further though SM to make it as prominent as possible then that would be job well done.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 21, 2016, 09:53:03 pm by knockers »
I was upstairs at the Keepmoat today at the Chamber of Commerce and there is a nice timeline of huge photos of recent successes. It would be good to replicate these in a more general area.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 21, 2016, 10:29:10 pm by silent majority »
Thanks for all the comments and offers to help. I'm sure I'll sift through what we have and work out how best to proceed in the next week or two.

As I've said before, this is vitally important in keeping our heritage alive and educating those who follow on. Its a work in progress, and so it should be.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 21, 2016, 10:50:35 pm by DRNaith »
He said one of the funniest things I ever heard a footballer say (yes, I know there's a reason for that), he said (though this may not be the exact wording) "I were never a fancy footballer, but I could stop them that was".

My Dad also told me of the time he was getting stick from a female supporter at a game, he shouted to her "any more of that Madam and I'll be forced to move next door to you", referring to the fact that house prices went down on streets where black people moved to.

AlonzoDrake

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 22, 2016, 05:22:47 am by AlonzoDrake »
A couple of pics here SM. The head and shoulders is from a team photo of the 1958/59 Rovers, and the one taken from the website is an FA cup game at Leyton Orient
in 1956/57.

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/league-division-two-leyton-orient-v-doncaster-rovers/print/676/4556211.html

A 10 X 8 costs 12 quid
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:25:56 am by AlonzoDrake »

AlonzoDrake

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 22, 2016, 05:25:05 am by AlonzoDrake »
See that the pic above I posted is just detail from the much better pic RoversDave posted. Here's the head and shoulders.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012