Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 12:14:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Relegation  (Read 31184 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Re: Relegation
« Reply #150 on February 21, 2016, 11:37:49 am by wilts rover »
What i would like to know is why is it other owners, it doesn't come out how much they put in a season?.
 What doesn't get said is all the lost opportunties to get players that other teams took the chance on, and sold on for a profit.
It's been going on years at our place short sighted, never thinking ahead, if the club continues being run like this, we don't have a chance of doing well.

We sign players on two year contracts and are trying to bring members of our own youth team through into the first team. Yet if we followed your line of postings we would be bringing in several new players each week. And you say the club is being short-sighted!!!

You would certainly be within your rights to say that the players we have brought in over the past couple of seasons have not been of sufficent quality, and that the youth team players are not up to League 1 standard, but that is a completly different argument. And it would also ignore that at one time you rated several of the players who have turned out not to be as good as their past reputations.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on February 22, 2016, 02:28:18 am by Sammy Chung was King »
What i would like to know is why is it other owners, it doesn't come out how much they put in a season?.
 What doesn't get said is all the lost opportunties to get players that other teams took the chance on, and sold on for a profit.
It's been going on years at our place short sighted, never thinking ahead, if the club continues being run like this, we don't have a chance of doing well.

We sign players on two year contracts and are trying to bring members of our own youth team through into the first team. Yet if we followed your line of postings we would be bringing in several new players each week. And you say the club is being short-sighted!!!

You would certainly be within your rights to say that the players we have brought in over the past couple of seasons have not been of sufficent quality, and that the youth team players are not up to League 1 standard, but that is a completly different argument. And it would also ignore that at one time you rated several of the players who have turned out not to be as good as their past reputations.

I suggest players just like everybody else, and yes if you signed all those i suggested it would be standing room only!. We are doing things better signing player on slightly longer contracts, the youth system is encouraging Mandeville, Middleton and Lund look as though they have a good chance.
What i mean by short sighted, an example we have Adam Hammill training with us, we don't sign up one of the best wingers in this league.
It's well known how good he is, he leaves training with us to sign for Barnsley, he along with a few more improve their perfomances, they end up climbing the table and going to wembley.

Who judges player talent?, because we have lost countless players even over just two or three years.
There is looking after the pennies because we don't get great crowds, then there's weighing up that you have the chance of signing a winger, that will help Williams get his 20-25 goals a season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on February 22, 2016, 06:47:21 am by dickos1 »
But you're blaming the board for this? I'm not sure bramall and Watson were running the rule over hammil

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on February 22, 2016, 07:32:33 am by Yorkiered »

I suggest players just like everybody else, and yes if you signed all those i suggested it would be standing room only!. We are doing things better signing player on slightly longer contracts, the youth system is encouraging Mandeville, Middleton and Lund look as though they have a good chance.
What i mean by short sighted, an example we have Adam Hammill training with us, we don't sign up one of the best wingers in this league.
It's well known how good he is, he leaves training with us to sign for Barnsley, he along with a few more improve their perfomances, they end up climbing the table and going to wembley.

Who judges player talent?, because we have lost countless players even over just two or three years.
There is looking after the pennies because we don't get great crowds, then there's weighing up that you have the chance of signing a winger, that will help Williams get his 20-25 goals a season.

You are missing one important thing Sammy. We do Barnsley's scouting for them. We get them to come down and train with us and then they go sign for Barnsley because they will pay them more.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on February 22, 2016, 07:58:05 am by drfc1951 »
Apart from Hammill should we have signed the other 2 players that signed for Barnsley,because they were brilliant for them.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on February 22, 2016, 08:01:57 am by Yorkiered »
Apart from Hammill should we have signed the other 2 players that signed for Barnsley,because they were brilliant for them.

OK "trial" might be a bit loose but do you remember a very good centre back who we had on loan but went from us to Barnsley because they paid him more?
Someone who would have made a hell of a difference had we signed him permanently?

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on February 22, 2016, 08:16:32 am by raggytash »
Do people seriously think signing players like gooch and the kid from Stoke are a sign of intent??? I've given up now, because it's clear that there's no money being put in to strengthen the side and going with all available facts.... Relegation and 100 decrease in attendances also Baldwin and co have done exactly the same to the Dons...all in all the people running the club haven't a clue on running a successful club and the facts are clear and can't be argued against

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on February 22, 2016, 08:18:53 am by Yorkiered »
Do people seriously think signing players like gooch and the kid from Stoke are a sign of intent??? I've given up now, because it's clear that there's no money being put in to strengthen the side and going with all available facts.... Relegation and 100 decrease in attendances also Baldwin and co have done exactly the same to the Dons...all in all the people running the club haven't a clue on running a successful club and the facts are clear and can't be argued against

But Club Doncaster and the Football Foundation are doing well.  :facepalm:

bally1950

« Reply #158 on February 22, 2016, 08:23:18 am by bally1950 »
Anybody also noticed how quiet G B is these days, something or nothing but certainly not as in the public eye these days.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on February 22, 2016, 09:34:35 am by BillyStubbsTears »

OK "trial" might be a bit loose but do you remember a very good centre back who we had on loan but went from us to Barnsley because they paid him more?
Someone who would have made a hell of a difference had we signed him permanently?

Aye. Do you remember that we bought Billy Sharp at that time?

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on February 22, 2016, 09:51:02 am by drfc1951 »
I remember Shackell,who was it who decided not to offer him more than Barnsley?

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on February 22, 2016, 09:58:54 am by Yorkiered »

I am confused as to what Billy Sharp has to do with Barnsley?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #162 on February 22, 2016, 11:53:47 am by dickos1 »

Why is it clear were not investing in players? We've signed the two you mention because only the loan market is open, people who keep mentioning these two strangely forget to mention grant and Anderson,

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on February 22, 2016, 12:11:29 pm by wesisback »
For me I think there was a bit of a poorly calculated risk done in January where we could have improved the squad but failed to.
It was clear even then that the this team wasn't going to go up and even clearer that if by some miracle we did, it would take a fortune to replace as there is probably one or two fit for the Championship.
January deals are more expensive and we looked like we'd head to a comfortable mid table finish.
Releasing a few of the bad eggs from their contracts would allow some money to be saved for the pot next year.
A month in and we're now staring down the barrel of a relegation scrap with a few experienced players down (and the kind of players that could win games on a solo bit of magic from then) and heading into a fairly dangerous set of games ahead.
What looked like a calculated risk is by the week looking like a suicide attempt as it's blatantly clear that this defence isn't fit for the division its in and theres more flair in the stands than our midfield.
I went through our remaining fixtures just yesterday and must admit for the first time I'm starting to get a bit worried.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on February 22, 2016, 12:35:51 pm by MrFrost »

Why is it clear were not investing in players? We've signed the two you mention because only the loan market is open, people who keep mentioning these two strangely forget to mention grant and Anderson,

When we signed the two mentioned the permanent window was open

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #165 on February 22, 2016, 12:54:37 pm by dickos1 »
Yes an we were flying high now when we're struggling there's not much we can do

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #166 on February 22, 2016, 01:26:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I'm surprised that you're confused. I assumed it was bleeding obvious.

We used a not inconsiderable sum of money to prioritise the signing of Sharp. That was the biggest signing by far in the club's history, and was utterly unjustified by the club's income. In other words, it required huge investment and commitment from the owners. Expecting us also to sign a player as talented and expensive as Shackell is a nice aspiration, but perhaps a little optimistic.

Barnsley chose to prioritise Shackell. They couldn't afford Shackell and a player as good as Sharp.

That's life. You can be given a cream bun and be happy about it, or you can moan that it wasn't served to you by a big titted blonde who wanted to satisfy your every carnal wish.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #167 on February 22, 2016, 01:31:52 pm by The Red Baron »

When we signed the two mentioned the permanent window was open

The permanent window wasn't open when we signed Anderson and Grant. Not that either would have been available to sign permanently anyway.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on February 22, 2016, 01:39:19 pm by Copps is Magic »
Funny how quickly people forget the likes of Anderson and Mattioni. Would have been amazing signings for us if they'd still fit the entire season. Bit unlucky there, the replacement loanees are not of the same quality.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #169 on February 22, 2016, 02:05:15 pm by Yorkiered »

I'm surprised that you're confused. I assumed it was bleeding obvious.

We used a not inconsiderable sum of money to prioritise the signing of Sharp. That was the biggest signing by far in the club's history, and was utterly unjustified by the club's income. In other words, it required huge investment and commitment from the owners. Expecting us also to sign a player as talented and expensive as Shackell is a nice aspiration, but perhaps a little optimistic.

Barnsley chose to prioritise Shackell. They couldn't afford Shackell and a player as good as Sharp.

That's life. You can be given a cream bun and be happy about it, or you can moan that it wasn't served to you by a big titted blonde who wanted to satisfy your every carnal wish.

So Shackell wasn't about to sign when Barnsley offered a few quid a week more then?

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #170 on February 22, 2016, 02:19:38 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
I can't see where our next win is coming from, but a positive is that we've still got teams around us to play: Blackpool, Colchester Utd., Fleetwood Town, Bury, Crewe, etc.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on February 22, 2016, 02:37:48 pm by drfchound »
We have already played Fleetwood twice.
I would fancy us to beat Blackpool but Colchester is an away game and they will be fighting for their lives.
We were lucky to get the home win against Crewe and could easily have lost against Bury in the first game of the season.
I wouldn't fancy our chances at Gigg lane to be honest.
It is dangerous to pick out "easier games" because it doesnt always work out like that.

If we re going to get to 51 points we need at least 5 wins.
that is five from 15 remaining games after only 9 from 31 so far.
It will be tough to get to 51 points.

MrWoodySir

• Forum Member
« Reply #172 on February 22, 2016, 03:38:34 pm by MrWoodySir »
Burton on the last day could be the easiest game of all if they've won the league and are all in holiday mode by then.
You seem to be forgetting who we played and what position they were in the last time we got relegated from the championship...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #173 on February 22, 2016, 04:45:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound

1) We won't need 51 points
2) if we did, we wouldn't need "at least" 5 wins. We'd need "at most" 5 wins.

Personally, I reckon 3 wins and 3 draws will be enough.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #174 on February 22, 2016, 04:50:44 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Burton on the last day could be the easiest game of all if they've won the league and are all in holiday mode by then.
You seem to be forgetting who we played and what position they were in the last time we got relegated from the championship...

That's irrelevant to how Burton Albion might perform in a similar situation.

Actually the best scenario for us against Burton would be that they cannot get into the top two, are guaranteed a play-off spot, and want to rest players and/or not go for all 50/50 balls.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #175 on February 22, 2016, 04:56:17 pm by i_ateallthepies »
That would be nice Dutch but not looking likely five points ahead and two games in hand over 3rd spot.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #176 on February 22, 2016, 05:26:34 pm by Colin C No.3 »
3 points Saturday will stop the slavering! No of course it won't....you fool Colin.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #177 on February 22, 2016, 05:32:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
"Actually the best scenario for us against Burton would be that they cannot get into the top two, are guaranteed a play-off spot, and want to rest players and/or not go for all 50/50 balls".

Not quite the best scenario Dutch, the very best would be for us to have a team capable of beating them fair and square!

We can all dream!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #178 on February 22, 2016, 05:34:26 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Why do people reckon Andy Williams chose us over the other clubs interested in a 20 goal striker?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #179 on February 22, 2016, 05:40:02 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Why do people reckon Andy Williams chose us over the other clubs interested in a 20 goal striker?

Perhaps he wanted to be a big fish in a small pond?

Perhaps he knows he's not as good as some people make him out to be?

Perhaps he wanted to be more of less guaranteed first team football?

Perhaps he thought we'd get promoted with Paul Dickov's squad?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012