Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 08, 2024, 04:26:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Flying Scotsman  (Read 8369 times)

roversron

• Forum Member
Flying Scotsman
« on February 24, 2016, 07:42:25 pm by roversron »
London to York tomorrow. ...leaving London at 7 40 does anyone know what time it's passing through its place of birth?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

andy didcott

• Forum Member
Re: Flying Scotsman
« Reply #1 on February 24, 2016, 07:52:17 pm by andy didcott »
1148 in Donny, give or take a few minutes.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 24, 2016, 08:07:22 pm by Donnywolf »
Down as 1154 on the official Time Table and (from elsewhere) it will slow down and "whistle" as it goes through Donny between Platforms 3 and 4

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U59844/2016/02/25/advanced

If people want to make sure they are not stood ages waiting if you call up and follow this Page it will report every few minutes so you can see how behind the Train is. Sometimes (rarely) they arrive slightly BEFORE time so beware and keep an eye on this !

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 24, 2016, 08:14:02 pm by Donnywolf »
This is the one I would LOVE to see going through Donny again (Alas its gone)

http://www.locos-in-profile.co.uk/Prints/LNER/Footballers/Pages/Doncaster_Rovers.html

Roll over image for best effect !

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 24, 2016, 08:43:35 pm by andy didcott »
Oops! It is 1154 in Donny.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 24, 2016, 08:48:19 pm by Donnywolf »
Its near enough for me ! Used to get there too early and stand about but as above I use that link and see how things are going

If a Train gets well behind - say an hour - you can watch and see whether it catches up or falls further behind for strategic reasons and then stroll out just in time.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 24, 2016, 08:56:16 pm by Bentley Bullet »
A mate of mine was a porter at Donny station a few years back. He used to let me stand on the bridge going over the main line when a special loco was visiting. Then suddenly he wanted to charge me for the privilege. He got ideas above his station.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 24, 2016, 08:59:42 pm by Donnywolf »
Jesus - hook line and sinker !

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 24, 2016, 09:01:46 pm by Bentley Bullet »
He sometimes diverted the locos so that I got a closer look at them though. He did have some good points.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:06:02 pm by Bentley Bullet »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 24, 2016, 09:53:06 pm by BobG »
Not qwuite so old, but I saw a 56 going through Filton Abbey Wood this morning. Brought back (fairly) old times it did :)

BobG

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 24, 2016, 10:41:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Notta lotta people know this.....Flying Scotsman wasn't a particularly good locomotive. It was preserved simply because someone (Alan Pegler) liked it's name.

I knew someone who was a fireman on it when it was in service in the 60's. "It was a bugger to fire up, and would only run on Anthracite". He told me.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 24, 2016, 10:48:50 pm by BobG »
I used to know Alan Pegler slightly. He spent all his money on that machine. In fact it bankrupted him. He was a really nice guy. Saw him give a talk about FS at the Grammar School once. Must have been about 1971 ish I spose. He was the bloke who began the resurrection of the Ffestiniog Railway too. He bought the ruins and began the whole preservation process.

BobG
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:55:02 pm by BobG »

GM-MarkB

« Reply #12 on February 25, 2016, 02:45:37 pm by GM-MarkB »
Talking of Pegler...my mate posted a foto of the old girl on his Facebook page as she was stationary outside Peglers (where he works and I used to) today......looks very impressive

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:48:22 pm by GM-MarkB »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 25, 2016, 10:14:48 pm by BobG »
Thanks Mark. I like that pic.

Bob

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #14 on March 01, 2016, 09:34:31 am by LongbridgeMGRover »
Bob G,
Seems like you are a fellow 'anorak'!!! When you mention Alan Pegler at 'The Grammar School', would that be Doncaster Grammar School, and not the other place, or Thorne??

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 01, 2016, 09:45:17 am by Donnywolf »
Anyone wanting another 60103 FS "fix" please note

It is going on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway soon. Arrives 12th March and stays till the 20th I think it is

Monday the 14th and Friday the 18th it will not be "working" but the other 7 days it will be operating 3 trains per day from Grosmont to Pickering and return. The Timetables and more can be found at NYMR but if I am reading it correctly ALL the Trains 60103 is scheduled to pull are fully booked already

http://www.nymr.co.uk/special-events/flying-scotsman/

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:00:25 am by Donnywolf »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 01, 2016, 10:04:19 am by Donnywolf »
Mallard is better anyway in my book -without the Wheel shields of course

and below UTOPIA B17 Doncaster Rovers and Mallard in the same shot (available on EBay)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:10:23 am by Donnywolf »

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 01, 2016, 10:05:42 am by drfc1951 »
We are going on it on17 March  my uncle was a fitter at the plant and worked on it , and my wifes grandad was a fireman on it.They may have a few spare tickets if you ring nymr customer services.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 01, 2016, 10:13:14 am by Donnywolf »
We are going on it on17 March  my uncle was a fitter at the plant and worked on it , and my wifes grandad was a fireman on it.They may have a few spare tickets if you ring nymr customer services.

I have emailed them and there is a cancellation list you can put your name on (because they have SOLD OUT in red text in a few places)
I have entered the Competition to win 2 tickets but with such a testing question - when was FS built - there will me hundreds / thousands getting that right !

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 01, 2016, 10:31:18 am by Donnywolf »

Bob

Mark

Can you tell me how to show Photo "inline" like that please. I keep posting things but when I leave I randomly get "logged out" and so whatever I have posted goes too

I have had Posts viewed say 100 times but the Photo may have been views only 17 times or so - and so probably better to embed them

Cheers DW

GM-MarkB

« Reply #20 on March 01, 2016, 03:44:36 pm by GM-MarkB »

Bob

Mark

Can you tell me how to show Photo "inline" like that please. I keep posting things but when I leave I randomly get "logged out" and so whatever I have posted goes too

I have had Posts viewed say 100 times but the Photo may have been views only 17 times or so - and so probably better to embed them

Cheers DW

I just copied the web address of the image and pasted into the image link...simple really

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 01, 2016, 05:09:53 pm by Donnywolf »
ok will try that next time round ... cheers

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 02, 2016, 04:29:27 pm by Not Now Kato »
Here's a snapshot of it bathed in the sun's rays as it passed Bessacarr

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 02, 2016, 10:32:03 pm by BobG »
Another nice shot. Thanks Kato. I'm not convinced by those smoke deflectors though....

My Dad got me out of bed in the middle of the night once, I must have been somewhere between about 8 and 12 years old, to drive me into town to the station. Flying Scotsman was due in. I ended up on the footplate at about 1 in the morning. I can still remember that :)

And Longbridge: it was Doncaster Grammar where I saw Alan Peglar talking about 4472. Don't tell me you were there that night too?!

BobG

PS Yes. I am a railway anorak btw. There's a few more on this board too!

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #24 on March 03, 2016, 09:10:52 am by LongbridgeMGRover »
I was at Donny Grammar from Sep1970 to July 1975 and was in the Railway Society there. There was and still is an amazing museum in the attic where I spent many happy hours, and it remains my all time favourite room, railway signals, nameplates and in those days a model railway running around it's perimeter.
You had to go up a spiral iron staircase to get to it. On one occasion a couple of girls asked if they could enter this male preserve, and I followed them up the staircase gaining an excellent view of their knickers.
Thankfully that was the only female incursion.
Eventually I rose to become secretary and I organised shed trips to Reddish, Longsight and Newton Heath, plus one to Saltley and Tyseley.
I still have the slides from these trips and intend converting them and putting them online one day.......

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 03, 2016, 09:45:31 am by Donnywolf »
I used to go Swimming there in the 60s - when I think Greyfriairs was out of action !

Seen the Museum featured recently (18 months or so ago) on Look North and I think our "own" DFP *

* They probably mentioned it in one of those "riveting items" they are fixated on lately - such as "The 10 best or steepest staircases in Donny where you can see ladies knickers " Or something similar !

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 03, 2016, 04:23:59 pm by Not Now Kato »
Hi Bob, agree about the smoke deflectors though that style, (based on a German model), was fitted to a number of A3's as were the standard A1 style smoke deflectors.  I don't remember ever seeing the Flying Scotsman being fitted with either type in all the many times I've seen her, except of course for the other day.

There's a great history of the A3's here at http://www.lner.info/locos/A/a1a3a10.php  and Scotsman in particular including the Peggler years, well worth a read.

Here's a few shots I managed to grab whilst she was being disassembled/restored....

Interestingly, whilst the cab still had the old 4472 number some of the parts were hand labelled with her BR number, 60103, (bottom right of picture).

This was her tender at the time I took the shots.

Whilst the Scotsman was the first steam locomotive to reach 100mph, (officially  ;) ), I've never understood why it's more revered than it's more beautiful World Steam Speed Record Holder stablemate....

My own favourite locomotives were the V2's.  Sadly, I don't have a single picture of one.    :crying:

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 03, 2016, 04:37:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »

* They probably mentioned it in one of those "riveting items" they are fixated on lately - such as "The 10 best or steepest staircases in Donny where you can see ladies knickers " Or something similar !

Those were the days when a lady's knickers were big enough to hide her arse. Nowadays a lady's arse hides her knickers.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:39:29 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 03, 2016, 04:38:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
That's just an observation like, not a complaint!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 03, 2016, 04:47:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Great shots Not Now Kato by the way, sorry but Longbridge and Wolfie's pervy chat threw me.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012