Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 10:46:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Dickov  (Read 8807 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Dickov
« on February 26, 2016, 06:54:35 pm by roversdude »
On soccer am tomorrow

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: Dickov
« Reply #1 on February 27, 2016, 10:17:41 am by the vicar »
just said he had lots of false promisses from the club

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 27, 2016, 10:22:09 am by roversdude »
Think it referred to takeovers
Still comes across as a nice guy

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 27, 2016, 10:30:08 am by Bentley Bullet »
I don't think you can single the bloke out as being much different to all the other ex Rovers managers. Each and every one of them failed, eventually.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 27, 2016, 10:31:15 am by mushRTID »
"My first 6 months at Oldham I didn't have a clue what I was doing"

😂

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 27, 2016, 10:37:20 am by DonnyOsmond »
I don't think you can single the bloke out as being much different to all the other ex Rovers managers. Each and every one of them failed, eventually.

Saunders didn't tbf.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 27, 2016, 10:40:24 am by Bentley Bullet »
The bloke is just being honest. In any new job you don't know what you're doing.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 27, 2016, 10:42:04 am by mushRTID »
The bloke is just being honest. In any new job you don't know what you're doing.

Yeah I know it just sounded amusing, considering 3 years later he still didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Nice guy though, hope he finds something soon.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 27, 2016, 10:43:28 am by Bentley Bullet »

Saunders didn't tbf.

Saunders was one of the very few managers who quit while we were doing well, before eventually failing at Wolves, then Chesterfield.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 27, 2016, 11:23:57 am by RedJ »
In fairness, Wolves were in freefall and Chesterfield were expecting the earth while having sold their best players.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 27, 2016, 11:35:05 am by Bentley Bullet »
Yes RedJ, that might be true, but also in fairness that Wolves team he couldn't keep in the Championship had more quality in it than Rovers had in their Championship team that changed places with them.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 27, 2016, 11:45:54 am by adamtherover »
I'm sure I saw him riding a camel last year on hols in Egypt. :-)

eastender

• VSC Member

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 27, 2016, 12:39:34 pm by bpoolrover »
Thought that was a good interview

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 27, 2016, 01:33:13 pm by CrippyCooke »
Signed an awful lot of shite.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 27, 2016, 01:50:17 pm by jonnydog »

I don't consider Penney to have failed as manager either. I might get slated, but I preferred the Penney years to the SOD years. Sure it was lower down the leagues, but I just enjoyed every match back then.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 27, 2016, 06:12:54 pm by BigKeif »
Nice guy. Awful manager. Signed too much dead wood and bangs on about having time but says himself he finally had a full pre season and in which the following 9 games was worse than the previous two seasons. Like I say nice guy but god awful manager that needs to take responsibility for his own failures.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 27, 2016, 06:30:30 pm by RedJ »

I don't consider Penney to have failed as manager either. I might get slated, but I preferred the Penney years to the SOD years. Sure it was lower down the leagues, but I just enjoyed every match back then.
And consistent top ten finishes in League One is hardly a failure. John Ryan just wanted to go that extra step, which unfortunately seemed beyond Penney - though his signings laid the foundation for what was to come.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 27, 2016, 06:31:41 pm by Chris Black come back »
Truly disastrous appointment. Never managed a single second in the Championship previously and we had smallest budget in that league, yet it was deemed a good idea to appoint him. Utter madness.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 28, 2016, 12:36:02 am by the vicar »
don't think so he meant the current board

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 28, 2016, 12:44:44 am by Filo »
don't think so he meant the current board

And what gives you that impression?

For me he meant the failed takeovers

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 28, 2016, 07:10:28 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Say's he's had "offers from abroad" which is something he fancies.

Say's "I have to admit, for the first 6 months at Oldham, I hadn't a clue as to what I was doing!" 'gufaww, gufaww.

Say's "I must admit to feeling bitter about being sacked at Doncaster".

Say's 'To be honest, when JR offered me the job I thought all my Christmases had come at once', gufaww, gufaww. 'I thought to myself, alright Paul, all you need to do is to make sure you look as though you know what you're doing & keep taking the money' gufaww, gufaww..........

Edit...he didn't say that last bit (just thought it?).

Jeez JR, you called this one wrong big style & truth be told, we're still suffering (along with Fergie) for that appointment ever being made.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 28, 2016, 07:22:49 pm by Prez »
Makes me angry reading the above post. I love JR but what on earth was he thinking? Recall I was delivering in Barnby Dun when I heard on the radio that Dickov had got the job. I punched the steering wheel!!

My only theory is Dickov told Ryan he had multiple contacts at Citeh, Arsenal etc and could get good loan players in.

We got Reece Wabarra.

:headbang:

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 28, 2016, 11:28:47 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Dickov seems a good bloke who knows the right things to say, that's probably how he got the job.
 The contacts crap is a load of rubbish, nowadays a manager could pick up the phone to most managers even if he didn't know him, if he see's the club he runs plays the right way, the bigger team manager will loan his players out.
Clubs like ours get easily impressed with a load of spiel.
 You need a manager that just gets on with his job, like Ferguson, he gives his interviews, then you get the impression he is looking how he can improve things.

Dickov had some good results at times, but when we were struggling he seemed lost on what to do. Not unexpected he didn't have much experience. He didn't seem to learn from mistakes he made, he had a lot of time, i am glad he has gone.
Ferguson has a distance from the players and a respect that Dickov didn't seem to have, a lot of players had an easy time under him, it's over now, now they have to earn their wages.

DRFC-Hanksie

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 01, 2016, 12:12:21 pm by DRFC-Hanksie »
I've al
I'm sure I saw him riding a camel last year on hols in Egypt. :-)

I saw him asleep on a train.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 01, 2016, 04:15:39 pm by bpoolrover »
I 2 think he means the current board filo

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 01, 2016, 04:57:45 pm by IDM »
Yesterday's chip paper...!!

Sorry to sound harsh, but PD has gone.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 01, 2016, 06:50:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

And consistent top ten finishes in League One is hardly a failure. John Ryan just wanted to go that extra step, which unfortunately seemed beyond Penney - though his signings laid the foundation for what was to come.

I wonder if the next step would have been beyond Penney if he'd been given the funds to sign Stock, Wellens, Woods, Hayter, Sullivan and Mills in addition to the squad he built.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 01, 2016, 06:56:40 pm by bpoolrover »
Good point, unfortunately we will never no, for me any manager with those players will do well

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 01, 2016, 07:00:06 pm by The Red Baron »
Not having a dig at Penney, but in the summer of 2006 he brought in a number of players, many of whom turned out to be key members of SO'D's team. Unfortunately we started that season poorly. I think JR concluded at that point that a different approach was needed.

We had some great times under Penney and he did a very good job, but by the time he went I don't think I was the only one who thought he'd taken us as far as he could.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:02:49 pm by The Red Baron »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012