Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 08:18:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New health update for Newyankee.  (Read 34039 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Re: New health update for Newyankee.
« Reply #60 on August 20, 2016, 06:56:23 pm by wing commander »
Not great news...keep fighting mate

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on August 20, 2016, 07:53:47 pm by RoversAlias »
Yes, thanks for the update Bally and I like all other Rovers fans will be hoping Derek can get through this and feel better soon.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on August 20, 2016, 09:01:56 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Thinking of him after I just read the sad  news in the pub. Derek's a lovely guy who deserves so much better than this. Keep fighting mate.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 20, 2016, 09:26:42 pm by Alickismyhero »
My heart goes out to Newyankee, his family and not to forget Bally. It was my first game in a long time today I enjoyed it and I am sure Derek would have too. All is not lost Derek with new drugs on the horizon. Derek was very supportive of me and my family when my wife went through Chemo treatment. The Chemo works but left problems of chronic pain and the point I would make is that she has now improved with a new pain killing drug, not perfect, but it allows life to get back to near normal.
Chin up Derek its tough supporting Donny, you can do it.

All the best,

Terry
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:23:13 pm by Alickismyhero »

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 20, 2016, 10:39:42 pm by Retdon1 »
All the best

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 20, 2016, 11:02:17 pm by the vicar »
Yes. I know that I said that I was gone forever but I think you should all be aware that Newyankee (Derek Blackham) has been absent because his illness is much worse, it is also complicated because of other matters. Derek is suffering and has been in the ICU unit at a hospital in Milwaukee since last weekend, he is gravely ill. I am in constant contact with Donna his wife most days, Although I got his 70th birthday card to him late, the presents I sent, he eventually got (US Customs?) a new team shirt and a red Polo Shirt. he has seen them and they are waiting at home for him.
Derek and I have been friends for over 35 years and my late wife and Derek's wife were great friends too. I fear for my friend and if I am telling you something he would not wish me to I am sure I will be told strongly, but I think he would want you all to know, especially those over there in the US who PM him and have become true friends. He is very poorly.But as every match day, although he cannot speak much I will ensure that Donna has Donny's result at 5pm so she can tell him when she goes today.

Mick Ball
IS THIS MICK BALL THE X COPPER BY ANY CHANCE

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on August 21, 2016, 12:17:42 am by RobTheRover »
Yep

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on August 21, 2016, 12:34:50 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Yes. I know that I said that I was gone forever but I think you should all be aware that Newyankee (Derek Blackham) has been absent because his illness is much worse, it is also complicated because of other matters. Derek is suffering and has been in the ICU unit at a hospital in Milwaukee since last weekend, he is gravely ill. I am in constant contact with Donna his wife most days, Although I got his 70th birthday card to him late, the presents I sent, he eventually got (US Customs?) a new team shirt and a red Polo Shirt. he has seen them and they are waiting at home for him.
Derek and I have been friends for over 35 years and my late wife and Derek's wife were great friends too. I fear for my friend and if I am telling you something he would not wish me to I am sure I will be told strongly, but I think he would want you all to know, especially those over there in the US who PM him and have become true friends. He is very poorly.But as every match day, although he cannot speak much I will ensure that Donna has Donny's result at 5pm so she can tell him when she goes today.

Mick Ball

Mick

Sounds like a bad situation. Get the message to him that the Rovers are going to piss this league this year, and a League Title winning match next April is something for him to have as a target.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 21, 2016, 01:47:04 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Come on newyankee, don't let it get the better of you you are one of the posters that talks sense. As delia smith said ''Let's be havin ya''!, come on get better!. :scarf: :clapping:

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on August 21, 2016, 03:10:41 am by PDX_Rover »
Bloody hell. I'll drop him a note via email. Hopefully he'll get it. My Dad and Derek knew each other for nigh on 40 years. Derek used to run the Ridgewood where my Dad had his seat at the bar. I knew Derek when I was a nipper. My Dad passed away in 2011, but it was fate that put me back in touch with Derek and we've emailed and spoken on the phone since then. Thoughts going over to Milwaukee. Hang in there mate.

ballysbackin

« Reply #70 on August 21, 2016, 08:28:45 am by ballysbackin »
First of all Vicar - Yes it is I, there can never be another  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Derek's condition sadly is not good, I had a long conversation with Donna last night, I will not apply the medical update as it is distressing. I did tell her that I had updated this thread and asked if it would be alright with her and Derek, she stated that Derek would be grateful for me doing it and she was very appreciative of the comments thus far. I will keep her updated,and she stated that Derek wanted his friends to know why he had gone quiet and that it was not his doing.

As for The Ridgewood, earlier this month I sent Derek a photo of the pub and also The Beverley, he asked for them and we had a long discussion despite his breathing probs. My dad used to go in the Ridgewood with his mate Dicky Merrick of Edenthorpe and especially before every home game. I used it sometimes for a pint after 2 x 10 shift when I was posted to Armthorpe P. Stn. Derek I think was saying goodbye to Edenthorpe.  :rtid:

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on August 21, 2016, 08:36:21 am by DearneValleyRover »
Very sad to hear, heartfelt best wishes to Derek and his family and I pray that he can pull through.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 21, 2016, 08:38:39 am by les@donr »
NY, Thoughts and prayers from north of the border.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on August 21, 2016, 10:12:15 am by The Red Baron »
Never good to hear news like this about a fellow Rover. I am thinking of Derek, and Donna of course.

Thank you for the updates Mick.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on August 21, 2016, 11:20:49 am by RTID75 »
Sorry to read the news. :( My thoughts and best wishes are with you all in Milwaukee :)

Steve.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:31:32 am by RTID75 »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on August 21, 2016, 01:15:40 pm by roversdude »
Keep fighting fella we are all thinking of you

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on August 21, 2016, 07:00:02 pm by the vicar »
First of all Vicar - Yes it is I, there can never be another  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Derek's condition sadly is not good, I had a long conversation with Donna last night, I will not apply the medical update as it is distressing. I did tell her that I had updated this thread and asked if it would be alright with her and Derek, she stated that Derek would be grateful for me doing it and she was very appreciative of the comments thus far. I will keep her updated,and she stated that Derek wanted his friends to know why he had gone quiet and that it was not his doing.

As for The Ridgewood, earlier this month I sent Derek a photo of the pub and also The Beverley, he asked for them and we had a long discussion despite his breathing probs. My dad used to go in the Ridgewood with his mate Dicky Merrick of Edenthorpe and especially before every home game. I used it sometimes for a pint after 2 x 10 shift when I was posted to Armthorpe P. Stn. Derek I think was saying goodbye to Edenthorpe.  :rtid:
ayup Mick I used to see to the injury when you had the police fuggy league team, and I remember you getting me off with a speeding ticket when we was coming home from an award game as I got pulled up in Thorne lol and we used to coach together before the Tollbar days at Bentley
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 07:05:10 pm by the vicar »

ballysbackin

« Reply #77 on August 21, 2016, 07:05:21 pm by ballysbackin »
And YOU CALL YOUR SELF VICAR, ha ha, Hope you are keeping well and as you know I did not get injured  :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: ha ha.  Well you know how much I look after my mates, perhaps we will meet at at a game.

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on August 21, 2016, 07:14:47 pm by Sandy Lane »
I'm so sorry to hear of this news.  My thoughts and prayers go out to New Yankee and his family.

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on August 22, 2016, 10:39:59 am by scaley back rover »
Sorry to hear this news, stay strong and keep fighting

retford rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on August 22, 2016, 01:25:47 pm by retford rover »
From all at the Supporters Club, our thoughts are with you Newyankee and to Donna and all the family, keep fighting Derek, Rovers winning will try to lift everyones spirits. love reading your posts,
take care

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on August 22, 2016, 04:15:30 pm by PDX_Rover »

Just dropped Derek an email. Hopefully Donna will read it to him. Mick, Your Dad probably knew mine I'm guessing and he'd certainly have known Don Cook.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on August 22, 2016, 04:49:07 pm by the vicar »
And YOU CALL YOUR SELF VICAR, ha ha, Hope you are keeping well and as you know I did not get injured  :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: ha ha.  Well you know how much I look after my mates, perhaps we will meet at at a game.
but do you know who i am though

darren61

« Reply #83 on August 22, 2016, 06:29:46 pm by darren61 »
Keep fighting Newyankee, my prayers go out to you and your family.x

ballysbackin

« Reply #84 on August 22, 2016, 06:37:42 pm by ballysbackin »
but do you know who i am though

Nope, racking my brains who would be daft enough to coach and then do First aid.  I have gone through coaches at Dons Juniors but do not come up with a answer. Becauae I cannot remember who was doing first aid,

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on August 22, 2016, 06:54:41 pm by the vicar »
i was the medical man for the police team sometimes lol i dont want to place my full name on line i tried to PM you but it says u cant be pmed
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:56:46 pm by the vicar »

ballysbackin

« Reply #86 on August 22, 2016, 07:04:06 pm by ballysbackin »
True, I am only a guest now.. mileend81@gmail.com will find me, my mail address is well known so no probs

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on August 22, 2016, 07:25:14 pm by silent majority »
True, I am only a guest now.. mileend81@gmail.com will find me, my mail address is well known so no probs
You should still be able to receive pm's under your old user name.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on August 22, 2016, 07:29:30 pm by Lincoln Rover »
From one Del Boy Derek to another top man. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

ROVERSBELLY

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on August 22, 2016, 07:29:58 pm by ROVERSBELLY »
Don't know Newyankee , but would also like to send my best wishes to him and his family , I know how hard it is , but thankfully my wife is still clear (5 years) just back from her annual check up.
 Keep fighting you are in my thoughts.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012