Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 09:27:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: EFL Trophy News  (Read 40367 times)

Superspy

• VSC Member
Re: EFL Trophy News
« Reply #150 on November 08, 2016, 07:43:36 pm by Superspy »
If Rovers got to the final and it was against one of the prem/champ sides I wouldn't go on principle - and I'd be gutted about it for missing the experience. If it was against another lower-league club I'd probably go. I'm guessing there are probably a few who would take the same approach, but if I'm the only one and some people think that makes me a hypocrite or whatever, so be it.

I'm glad it seems to be shaping up as a massive failure...much like a lot of us predicted it to be.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #151 on November 08, 2016, 07:49:10 pm by The Red Baron »
Stoke are fielding Bojan and Peter Crouch tonight.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on November 08, 2016, 07:56:48 pm by Superspy »
Haha, I love this quote on that article:

The daftness of the rules – which, it should be pointed out, are not new this season – leads to situations such as Bradford City substituting their goalkeeper Colin Doyle after three minutes of their game against Bury. “I thought he had a poor 45 seconds,” said the Bantams’ assistant manager, Kenny Black.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on November 08, 2016, 08:50:48 pm by drfchound »
Peter Crouch, a very promising under 21's player and a possible England player if he gains sufficient experience from playing in this competition.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on November 08, 2016, 09:04:27 pm by NickDRFC »
I've thought for a while we need more height up front for England, apparently he's 6"7 so fingers crossed he's one for the future.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on November 08, 2016, 09:53:58 pm by GazLaz »
Peter Crouch, a very promising under 21's player and a possible England player if he gains sufficient experience from playing in this competition.

Don't you think their young lads benefit from playing along side him though? I do.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on November 08, 2016, 10:00:35 pm by Retdon1 »

Don't you think their young lads benefit from playing along side him though? I do.

Problem is they only had 2 or 3 young English lads in there side

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on November 08, 2016, 10:01:47 pm by steve@dcfd »
Rovers finish top of their group, keep a clean sheet in normal time. The young lads could not get a goal. But will be good for their development

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on November 08, 2016, 10:10:05 pm by drfchound »

To be fair Gaz, the competition is designed to give playing experience to young English players and not too many of them are getting game time.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #159 on November 08, 2016, 10:24:09 pm by steve@dcfd »

To be fair Gaz, the competition is designed to give playing experience to young English players and not too many of them are getting game time.

You are right it should be U21 from the premier U21 leagues but our young professionals have got games and three good results.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on November 08, 2016, 10:56:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »
They're fixing a broken leg by chopping off the arm.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #161 on November 08, 2016, 10:58:23 pm by Draytonian III »
They had Conference Premier sides in it ages ago

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #162 on November 08, 2016, 10:59:41 pm by Dagenham Rover »
tonights attendance    1,495 (including 92 from Vale)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #163 on November 08, 2016, 11:02:07 pm by The Red Baron »
I realise this won't be popular, but I think there's the germ of a good idea here.

Restrict PL and Championship sides to Under-21s only, and don't penalise L1 & L2 sides for playing who they want and you've got the basis of a competition.

We have used it extremely well. Lots of experience for the youngsters and we've qualified. Teams like Norwich who are stuffed full of reserve teamers in their late 20s are the real problem.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #164 on November 09, 2016, 12:06:33 am by idler »
Well, back in August, I said I'd give this competition a chance even though I was skeptical.

Given that the 'experiment' (where has that term been used before?) is now over, I'm even more skeptical about it - given that a significant number of 'youth' teams have opted to field what could by and large be classed as first team players.

I've given it a fair chance, seen a couple of games, and I don't think it's worked.

Karl Robinson summed it up perfectly a while ago, then some of these teams took the urine sample, threw it in the face of the Football League, and made the tournament appear even less credible.

Hopefully, the 'experiment' won't go any further and it'll go back to being a bog standard straight knockout competition next season - maybe with invited teams from the upper echelons of the Conference Premier.
Why use the US spelling of sceptical Rigo.
I hate yanks messing with our language. Somebody in Poldark even said snuck as opposed to sneaked yesterday. In 18th century England even.
Rant over.😉

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #165 on November 09, 2016, 01:13:49 am by eastender »
tonights attendance    1,495 (including 92 from Vale)

That's more than 4 times as many as Middlesbrough  (308) got against Shrewsbury.

In other news Oxford and Chelsea were involved in the longest Penalty shoot out in English Football , 34 pens were taken before Oxford lost ,but still went through.

The second round draw will take place on Thursday morning at 10.30am,
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:22:06 am by eastender »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on November 09, 2016, 02:17:22 am by Sammy Chung was King »
That would have been a decent crowd for us at one time. It just shows how far forward we have travelled in the years under the control of John Ryan and our current owners.
I'm not adverse to change if i can see a good idea. The penalties if a game ends up a draw is good experience for young players who might one day pull on the national shirt.

The problem is the way it has been packaged it has turned too many fans away so the taking a penalty in front of a full stadium isn't happening.
How i see it, it has given us a few more games where we can have a look at young players who need some experience. Tonight's line up for us was probably stronger than the one picked for the Oldham game. That i found a touch strange i think the stronger line up should have been in the FA cup

dijit8

• Forum Member
« Reply #167 on November 09, 2016, 01:32:17 pm by dijit8 »
I don't think this format has worked, I think its time to scrap the competition.
Extend international breaks to all 4 divisions and play these international break fixtures in the midweeks freed up by scrapping the EFL trophy.

Yes I enjoyed Cardiff and its great to be at Wembley for the final but the poor turnouts and lack of interest from most clubs (and fans) unless they get to the later stages doesn't merit the competition staying.

Not sure what the EFL get from sponsorship but i am sure they can come up with ways of recouping this somehow.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #168 on November 09, 2016, 01:57:39 pm by IDM »
I have said it before, and I will say it again.  Make the group stages as local as you can and play them as pre-season games.  You'll still have time for 3 or 4  other friendlies, as well as getting the fixtures out of the way.  Delay the later rounds until after the FA Cup 3rd round, so that most clubs would by then be out of the FA and League cups.

3rd and 4th division teams only ie 48 clubs.  16 mini groups of 3 teams= 2 games each, then a qualifying round of either the top 2 (32 teams) or the mini group leaders (16 teams).  You then have 4 or 3 further rounds later in the season, including the final.  Each club gets to play at least 2 games and one home one away,  in the groups of 3.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #169 on November 10, 2016, 09:55:21 am by The Red Baron »
Home to Blackpool, Chesterfield, Morecambe or Oldham. Draw at 10.30.

Going to be Oldham, isn't it?

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #170 on November 10, 2016, 09:56:30 am by bobbymax »
I have said it before, and I will say it again.  Make the group stages as local as you can and play them as pre-season games.  You'll still have time for 3 or 4  other friendlies, as well as getting the fixtures out of the way.  Delay the later rounds until after the FA Cup 3rd round, so that most clubs would by then be out of the FA and League cups.

3rd and 4th division teams only ie 48 clubs.  16 mini groups of 3 teams= 2 games each, then a qualifying round of either the top 2 (32 teams) or the mini group leaders (16 teams).  You then have 4 or 3 further rounds later in the season, including the final.  Each club gets to play at least 2 games and one home one away,  in the groups of 3.
Far too sensible a suggestion for Shaun Harvey and his cronies

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on November 10, 2016, 10:38:04 am by Drover »
Not Oldham,think they got Walsall away.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #172 on November 10, 2016, 10:39:07 am by Drover »
Its Blackpool

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on November 10, 2016, 10:41:27 am by GazLaz »
Can believe we were an even money chance to draw Oldham and we didn't bit when it's about 100/1 in the FA cup we pull them every year!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #174 on November 10, 2016, 10:54:03 am by The Red Baron »
Blackpool at home. Probably Tuesday 6th December.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on November 10, 2016, 11:02:39 am by knockers »
Nobody cares!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on November 10, 2016, 11:34:37 am by GazLaz »
Our young lads that have a chance of making another first team appearance probably do.

Mac the hooped man

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on November 10, 2016, 11:52:57 am by Mac the hooped man »
Nobody cares!
Thanks for speaking up on my behalf.   So much appreciated.. I don't think!!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #178 on November 10, 2016, 11:57:05 am by IDM »
I care.. I may not go to the game, although I am happier to get a "proper" team in the draw.  I want the club to do well,, regardless.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #179 on November 10, 2016, 12:15:26 pm by selby »
We should all care about our own club,the more that attend the matches,plus the prize money of which we already have £20k is very handy.
   The format this year is nothing the club can do about.
   Stop harping on and making excuses or pretend you are on your own crusade,get down and back the team.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012