Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 04:25:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Boris Pulls out  (Read 6749 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Boris Pulls out
« on June 30, 2016, 12:02:38 pm by Filo »
Looks like he's been out monouvered

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lipsy

• Forum Member
Re: Boris Pulls out
« Reply #1 on June 30, 2016, 12:08:32 pm by Lipsy »
Initially, I cheered that he had been hung out to dry, but then I realised that it still leaves Death, Famine and War in the running.

Whatever your views on all of this, I think that we can all agree that we're in a right bloody state.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 30, 2016, 12:09:23 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
He's been done on this one clearly just doesn't have the support.  The two ladies would be my pick but we need to hear what each says first.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 30, 2016, 12:20:07 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
He's been done on this one clearly just doesn't have the support.  The two ladies would be my pick but we need to hear what each says first.

10/10 for that man

at least Julius caesar wasn't stabbed in the front and back  -- it's not the ides of march here nor june perhaps MAY ?

Andrea Leadsom  is her name as I just said she'll be second favourite by the end of the day

history tells us time and again the favourite never wins this race

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 30, 2016, 12:28:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
That puts a whole different spin on the next few years.

Whoever the Tories choose now, it's not going to be someone who will have guy appeal to the voters who don't pay much attention to politics.

Johnson always had the chance of mopping up the X-Factor voter because he was good box office. The next leader now is going to be less of a face.

It totally changes Labour's prospect of being competitive. If they can put on a united front with a credible leader. (At which, I just realised the flaw in my logic...)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 30, 2016, 12:40:54 pm by RedJ »
Shame his dad didn't do the same.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 30, 2016, 12:53:19 pm by The Red Baron »
Leadsom is very impressive. If she doesn't win (and I expect a Gove v May run-off) I can see Leadsom as Chancellor material.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 30, 2016, 01:09:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
TRB

An ex-merchant banker as Tory leader.

That'd go down well...

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 30, 2016, 01:25:28 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
TRB

That'd go down well...

That's the problem. Which in itself is perhaps unfair as she's clearly impressive and potentially the best choice.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 30, 2016, 01:34:55 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
As Gove had been touted as Chancellor under Boris, this now leaves the potential that under Gove the Chancellor could be IDS! Eek!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 30, 2016, 02:00:24 pm by The Red Baron »
TRB

That'd go down well...

They all have their negative points as well as their plusses. For the record, I don't think Leadsom will win. I've had May down as favourite since this process started and nothing is making me change my mind.

Being an ex-banker might not be a disadvantage for a Chancellor though.

Anyway, BST, I realise this is a bit like asking Ian Paisley who should be the next Pope, but who do you think would do the best job out of the five candidates?

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 30, 2016, 02:41:16 pm by wesisback »

Whoever the Tories choose now, it's not going to be someone who will have guy appeal to the voters who don't pay much attention to politics.

Johnson always had the chance of mopping up the X-Factor voter because he was good box office. The next leader now is going to be less of a face.

It totally changes Labour's prospect of being competitive. If they can put on a united front with a credible leader. (At which, I just realised the flaw in my logic...)
I predict that Labour will put a United front forward within the next few months once they've shifted the poisoned apples.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 30, 2016, 03:37:44 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
As Gove had been touted as Chancellor under Boris, this now leaves the potential that under Gove the Chancellor could be IDS! Eek!

And yet the North thought voting Brexit would be the best option....

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 30, 2016, 04:05:00 pm by The Red Baron »

I very much doubt IDS will return. I think he's shot his bolt.

Leadsom, Javid or Hammond more likely to be next Chancellor.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 30, 2016, 04:16:26 pm by bobjimwilly »
So Gove is still in the running? If only there were a way to slap him about his stupid face...

http://games.usvsth3m.com/slap-michael-gove/

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 30, 2016, 04:21:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
TRB

That'd go down well...

That's the problem. Which in itself is perhaps unfair as she's clearly impressive and potentially the best choice.

Hardly matters BFYP. We're in a post-logic political environment.

Gove himself said that the people are sick of listening to experts. He and his like have encouraged people to ignore rational argument and trust gut prejudices.

You sow the whirlwind, you'd better be prepared to reap it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 30, 2016, 04:28:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I predict that Labour will put a United front forward within the next few months once they've shifted the poisoned apples.

Wes. And that language is aimed at producing unity?

Unity equals more than "agree with me or you are a treacherous bas**rd."

Look at the history of the Labour Party.

It has won long term power only 3 times:

1945-51, in circumstances that, God forbid, will never be repeated (and even then it went tits up within a Parliament).

1997-2010, with a move too far to the right in desperation at having had 2 decades out of power.

1964-1979 minus 70-74. When it had a canny political operator as PM who held the two wings of the party together.

Other than in the post-War, post-Depression horror, Labour has never won by being way over to the Left (and even that was a brief victory, followed by 13 years of Tory rule). Labour can only win when it is a coalition across the Left spectrum. If you continue with your insistence that the centre and right wings of the Labour party are the enemy, you will guarantee that Labour remains an irrelevance. You'll be in a warm place, secure that it is YOUR party. But it'll be a Pyrrhic victory.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:00:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 30, 2016, 04:38:02 pm by idler »
Whichever way you look at it Labour need to attract the votes from the Tory and Liberal parties that don't have far left leaning members or supporters.
Surely that is obvious, they need to attract the middle of the road voter who, if he's impressed with a party will follow a swing to the left if it doesn't frighten them to death. Give people hope, honesty and security and will follow you further down the road. Having ideals and principals is fine but you must be willing to compromise a bit for the good of the country.

Snodthegod

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 30, 2016, 04:39:59 pm by Snodthegod »
I reckon he thinks this is his best chance.  Let someone else be tainted with the shit that we're going to have to go through over the next couple of years (he probably thought Cameron would stick around to do it if Leave won), then the great knight comes steaming in on his white charger to rescue us, challenge for the leadership and rescue the Tories before the next election.  God help us all.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 30, 2016, 04:48:50 pm by idler »
I think that like Farage, his credibility is disappearing daily.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 30, 2016, 04:57:31 pm by Mike_F »
Whichever way you look at it Labour need to attract the votes from the Tory and Liberal parties that don't have far left leaning members or supporters.
Surely that is obvious, they need to attract the middle of the road voter who, if he's impressed with a party will follow a swing to the left if it doesn't frighten them to death. Give people hope, honesty and security and will follow you further down the road. Having ideals and principals is fine but you must be willing to compromise a bit for the good of the country.

History says you're right, Dave but for the reasons I alluded to in another thread, I reckon there's been a significant change in the way a lot of people vote. As alluded to by Billy above in his rightfully disparaging remarks about people voting on instinct against all rational logic, the digital age has had a big impact. I reckon that the public at large are more disillusioned than ever with politicians and Corbyn offers something different. He'll get a lot of support from those who want change because they're simply sick of the status quo without really thinking what they want instead.

Snodthegod

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 30, 2016, 04:58:19 pm by Snodthegod »
You might be overestimating the general public - how were either of them ever deemed credible in the first place?  We English love a bit of a character, don't we?  In spite of everything they've said and done, look where they've both got to and unfortunately brought us with them. 

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 30, 2016, 06:18:21 pm by albie »
Out all day, then come in to find the penis in a wig Borump has gone all limp and bottled it.

I reckon he plans to segway across and stand against Corbyn for the leadership of Labour. He can stand on the "new Brutus" ticket, both stabbed and stabbable.

I liked this mock up;
BORUMP / Boing Boing

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 30, 2016, 06:23:18 pm by idler »
I used to vote Liberal in the local elections and then Labour in the general election after I moved to Bradford in 1978. The Liberals were always far better than either big party on the council in my eyes.
In the 90s I got fed up of Labour MP Terry Rooney only appearing at election time and spouting. I voted Liberal from then on, at least they produce local newsletters every month or so and listen to what local people say.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 30, 2016, 09:31:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And still the boys are playing.

This is an e-mail from Gove to Johnson that Robert Peston has "received".

https://m.facebook.com/pestonitv/posts/1648376065487132

In short:
Gove:
My dear Boris. You have sent me a draft of your victorious article that you propose to publish in the Telegraph. In that article, you pull back on everything we campaigned on. I agree with what you write. Go ahead. Just a few minor suggestions.

In couple of days' time, you'll find that you have got the back up of Dacre and Murdoch who desperately want us to cut back immigration, even if that means we get hoyed out the Single Market. At that point, I'll stab you in the back, announce that you are untrustworthy and take your place.

Johnson:
My dear Michael. I will then let a senior journalist "obtain" that e-mail and let the world see what a devious, obnoxious little Kitson you are.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 30, 2016, 10:30:58 pm by Copps is Magic »
We're long overdue a 'thick of it' brexit special.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 01, 2016, 12:11:56 am by Filo »
Well this past week has shown the British public that non of our mp's have the National interest at heart, they're all in it for themselves. Unity is what was required, instead we have Political anarchy!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 01, 2016, 01:45:29 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Gove if he is the next prime minister, gives labour a much better chance, of being re-elected into government, if they can only get on with sorting the party out.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 01, 2016, 08:20:30 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
Whether it's Red or Blue the country needs leadership right now. It will take companies years to move their Operations overseas, these companies will need to pull the trigger soon so they don't lose time.

The Brexit committee needs to be a cross party alliance to avoid the popularity contest and get the best deal for the country. Not the most votes for the party.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 02, 2016, 01:24:52 am by Sammy Chung was King »
The time moves nearer, to a system where the best from each party, are elected because they are the best man or woman for the job.
That for me will be the time, when the country can be much stronger.
 While the current parties continue, the country won't be as strong as it could be!. The leave council that will be created, could be just the start, of it happening.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012