Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 03:16:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Williams  (Read 8173 times)

Donnyss

• Forum Member
Williams
« on August 14, 2016, 04:00:50 am by Donnyss »
What would you do with him keep or sell . Obviously not a team player yea he will score goals at this level probs 15 in like 10 games then go missing for the next 10 and not do oat . I thought Mr Ferguson was good at getting strikers in . We need confidence up front so it generates around our team that we will score goals . Too much pressure on rest of team

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

karldew

• Forum Member
Re: Williams
« Reply #1 on August 14, 2016, 08:16:21 am by karldew »
Deffo keep!, we haven't got money to replace a 15/20 a season striker!. We just need someone who can challenge him to the starting 11, when Keshi came in last season I think Williams realised he had to play well and think it's the best he has played for us..

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 14, 2016, 08:40:22 am by Donnywolf »
Keep him for sure ... and anyone who immediately thought "oh s**t" or worse when he went down after diving in to block their blokes clearance and looked like he had a long term injury would think the same

Fortunately he got up AND finished the game as he would be a miss at this level

He is not perfect of course and I would like to see him cut out the "antics". I was never a footballer as such and so probably not qualified to judge what he does when chances come his way but the late blast seemed to call for composure and a touch - but he cant win

If it goes in its a wonder goal but as it happens he nearly killed the drummer - and the frustration of the crowd was evident. A touch was surely needed - and may have presented him with a better chance - and even a cut back across their Centre Back may have presented a Penalty but as I say all that calls for speculation - he saw it one way and we have to live with that.

In the late lamented Division2Whoknew? Competition 17 of the 18 had him as Rovers Top scorer and one of that 17 had him as Divisional Top Scorer as well and I see no reason when he gets going he will be Rovers top scorer for sure but I am hoping it is with 20 goals NOT 7 or 8

KEEP

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 14, 2016, 10:47:23 am by dknward2 »
i wouldnt sell but i would drop him to make him realise hes not as good as he thinks he is, all that waving of arms really pisses me off

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 14, 2016, 10:54:54 am by IDM »
Keep. 

I don't have an issue with a player showing frustration on the pitch, shows he cares. 

Didn't have his shooting boots on yesterday, but looked a different player in the second half - competing much more.

Needs another goal to get him going.  Potentially put him on the bench if needs be, but definitely keep.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 14, 2016, 11:07:31 am by Bentley Bullet »
He's frustrating. Every Time things don't go right he looks up to heaven, which is just about every time he's involved in play. He looks to me as though when he gets a shot in he just kicks it anywhere in the direction of the goal. He has no finesse.

The difference between him and a proper striker like Billy Sharp is Sharp would have scored yesterday.

Copps crossed the ball in the second half and Williams only had to jump and head it in. Instead he remained on the ground and watched the ball float over him.

The difference between him and a proper striker like Laurie Sheffield is Sheffield would have bust the net with that sort of opportunity.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 14, 2016, 11:52:09 am by RTID75 »
I'm on the fence, leaning towards letting him go. I didn't see the previous two matches, but on yesterday's showing he's a footballer lost. Much like two thirds of last season.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 14, 2016, 11:59:55 am by GazLaz »
He's like most strikers, he goes on streaks. I've watched him in the warm ups some times and hid finishing is phenomenal. Clearly has a confidence/mental problem at times but he's classy. He reminds me of a kid that I played with. Bit too much of a perfectionist and put too much pressure on himself so was never as good as he should be. The Williams situation is down to the gaffer to man manage him.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 14, 2016, 12:11:26 pm by Bentley Bullet »
He's certainly like most strikers we've had in the past few seasons, agreed.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 14, 2016, 01:59:23 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
If he was more consistent and didn't have a confidence issue he wouldn't be playing for us.  We have to accept our players at this level won't be as good as those from years gone by...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 14, 2016, 03:20:53 pm by Bentley Bullet »
If he was more consistent and didn't have a confidence issue he wouldn't be playing for us.  We have to accept our players at this level won't be as good as those from years gone by...

I understand that, but at the moment he's not good enough for this level.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 15, 2016, 01:57:26 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I think he partly needs to become more positive, and more chances will come, and also he needs better service. I think he could put himself about, a bit more, not chasing lost balls down the flanks, just hassling the central defence and midfielders, try and nick a few opportunities.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 15, 2016, 06:52:18 am by knockers »

That's utter b*llocks. I think people need to realise just which division we are in

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 15, 2016, 08:35:58 am by DonnyOsmond »
Guy who got 35+ goals in two seasons in League One isn't good enough for League Two. Hilarious.

The guy goes through spells, he'll score 10 in 10 then 5 in the next 15 (everyone will say he's shit) then he'll get 10 in the remainder.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 15, 2016, 02:41:54 pm by Bentley Bullet »

That's utter b*llocks. I think people need to realise just which division we are in

We are in a division LOWER than the one he was expected to do well in for us, and he STILL isn't doing well. As it stands at the moment, I don't consider his form, which includes a missed penalty, is good enough even for league two.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 15, 2016, 02:58:34 pm by IDM »
Key word you used there BB is "form"..

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 15, 2016, 03:02:02 pm by wing commander »
   For me he is one of those confidence players who needs to find someone to form a partnership with,no matter what level of football that is...He's not one who you would want in the trenches when things are not going well...If the team starts firing so will he.Although it might help peoples perception of him if he stopped waving his arms in the air like a petulant child when things go wrong...Still a player we need though...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 15, 2016, 03:16:03 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Key word you used there BB is "form"..

My opinion is based on his form. I'd be delighted if he scored a hat-trick tomorrow night, as that would suggest his good form was back. As it stands now though, he is off form and is not showing me any signs that he's good enough, even for league 2.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 15, 2016, 03:18:32 pm by bobjimwilly »
plenty of decent strikers don't score in 2 league games

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 15, 2016, 03:29:22 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Decent strikers at least provide a threat, and usually hit the target during games, even if they don't score.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 15, 2016, 03:52:28 pm by NickDRFC »

Except this one did score at Accrington  :saywhat:

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 15, 2016, 04:03:34 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Am I right in saying he's only scored 3 goals in the last 20 odd games?

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 15, 2016, 04:09:56 pm by glosterred »
Someone needs to get inside his head and remind him of how he played prior to Christmas and what he can do. His confidence is shot, pun intended.

COYR

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 15, 2016, 04:13:12 pm by bobjimwilly »
Am I right in saying he's only scored 3 goals in the last 20 odd games?

you can't include games from a previous season in his form this season, especially as we're at a different level now.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 15, 2016, 04:23:46 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I find his most annoying trait is when he lifts his arms and looks up to heaven instead of getting on with the game and chasing after the ball. He then puts his head down in disgust, with an 'I could kick myself' expression. I hope he never does....he'd miss.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 15, 2016, 04:26:10 pm by IDM »
I thought his attitude was a lot better in the 2nd half, just needed to be hitting the target..

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 15, 2016, 04:32:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »
you can't include games from a previous season in his form this season, especially as we're at a different level now.

Are there plenty of decent strikers who only score 2 goals in 20 odd games?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 15, 2016, 04:35:19 pm by GazLaz »
1 in 2 isn't bad. Would quite easily been more with a tiny bit of luck.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 15, 2016, 05:18:32 pm by mushRTID »
A Williams brace tomorrow and he's up and running. My prediction anyway

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 15, 2016, 06:26:10 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm sure we'd all love that to be the case. He clearly has fragile confidence and typically, when anyone is on a low, they just need something to go in by any means. The golden chance he snatched at was a sign he's not on top form.

We've see him score some classic finishes so we know he has the ability. We need to give him a bit of slack and not get on his back too quickly as that could destroy him completely.

Ferguson rested him last season and it got a response. Let's hope he doesn't need to be rested again.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012