Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 12:40:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Will Fergie ditch 3-5-2?  (Read 6126 times)

CJK

• Forum Member
Will Fergie ditch 3-5-2?
« on August 14, 2016, 07:50:58 pm by CJK »
I've had a quick read of the forum regarding yesterday's game and am quite surprised that there hasn't been more said about this hopeless 3-5-2 Fergie persists with. It's a classic case of square pegs and round holes. You need three solid, reliable centre halves, wingbacks capable of defending and attacking in equal measure and a midfield three in the mould of Wellens, Green and Stock, I.E all good at different jobs. Sure enough the first half was a disaster.

The second half brought a change to 4-4-2 and low and behold everything clicked and we should have won the game. Will Fergie acknowledge that and start with 4-4-2 on Tuesday? I fear not.

To be fair to Blair, he's having a good go at the right wing back role and I think whatever system we play, he has to be accommodated ; particularly impressed with his corners and willingness to take his man on and get a cross in.

Sure, we've a standard Rovers injury list at the moment but there's still enough in the squad to win games like yesterday without Fergie wasting 45 minutes to start with. Start the game with 4-4-2 and we take 3 points from a poor Crawley side.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Will Fergie ditch 3-5-2?
« Reply #1 on August 14, 2016, 07:56:50 pm by Chris Black come back »
You miss out that aside from the hapless goon in the middle, the CBs either side need to be distinctly left/right footed as they are expected to be able to go wide if the full backs/wingers are pulled up field.

So aside from the full backs being expected to also play as wingers, two of the three CBs are expected to play as full backs at time.

Try finding players at this level who can play those roles!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:07:36 pm by Chris Black come back »

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 14, 2016, 08:01:48 pm by bedale rover »
I've had a quick read of the forum regarding yesterday's game and am quite surprised that there hasn't been more said about this hopeless 3-5-2 Fergie persists with. It's a classic case of square pegs and round holes. You need three solid, reliable centre halves, wingbacks capable of defending and attacking in equal measure and a midfield three in the mould of Wellens, Green and Stock, I.E all good at different jobs. Sure enough the first half was a disaster.

The second half brought a change to 4-4-2 and low and behold everything clicked and we should have won the game. Will Fergie acknowledge that and start with 4-4-2 on Tuesday? I fear not.

To be fair to Blair, he's having a good go at the right wing back role and I think whatever system we play, he has to be accommodated ; particularly impressed with his corners and willingness to take his man on and get a cross in.

Sure, we've a standard Rovers injury list at the moment but there's still enough in the squad to win games like yesterday without Fergie wasting 45 minutes to start with. Start the game with 4-4-2 and we take 3 points from a poor Crawley side.

We didn't go to 4-4-2 in the second half
It was Garrett butler and Lund in a three

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 14, 2016, 08:05:10 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
2 games in, no he shouldn't...

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 14, 2016, 08:11:17 pm by CJK »
I had it as a back four of Blair, Butler, Lund and Garret.  Copps, Houghton, Rowe and Calder in the middle with Williams and Marquis up front.

BFYP - get your point but it's a continuation of last season's failings so far.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 14, 2016, 08:20:16 pm by The Red Baron »
I had it as a back four of Blair, Butler, Lund and Garret.  Copps, Houghton, Rowe and Calder in the middle with Williams and Marquis up front.

They only went 4-4-2 after Mandeville replaced Calder.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 14, 2016, 08:22:56 pm by dickos1 »

If you're playing 3 at the back you don't have 3 solid centre halves you need one solid no nonsense defender and two agile players either side, players who've played full back before. Just as Wales did in the euros

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 14, 2016, 08:54:32 pm by Retdon1 »

If you're playing 3 at the back you don't have 3 solid centre halves you need one solid no nonsense defender and two agile players either side, players who've played full back before. Just as Wales did in the euros

I think he would ideally like a back 3 of Alcock, butler or Wright and baudry

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 14, 2016, 08:57:00 pm by dickos1 »
Yes that would've been a much better back 3

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 14, 2016, 09:02:20 pm by Retdon1 »
Yes that would've been a much better back 3

A shame we won't get that for another month or 2

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 14, 2016, 09:58:36 pm by dickos1 »
We would lose the attributes of our best player in a 442

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 14, 2016, 10:05:33 pm by IDM »
I've had a quick read of the forum regarding yesterday's game and am quite surprised that there hasn't been more said about this hopeless 3-5-2 Fergie persists with.

Are you being sarcastic here?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 14, 2016, 10:27:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

They only went 4-4-2 after Mandeville replaced Calder.

Yep, that's how I saw it.

Apart from the awful lack of zip in the first half yesterday, the really upsetting thing was our lack of simple bloody common sense in dealing with their left winger. The lad skinned Blair half a dozen times, but we never once doubled up on him. Wright was playing far too far inside whenever Blair was one on one with their winger. That is really inexcusable in a 5-3-2 formation. I'm guessing that was the reason Wright went off? We were certainly far more solid down that flank in the second half.

deksykes

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 14, 2016, 10:37:14 pm by deksykes »
Cop pinger would be far more effective in a 442

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 14, 2016, 10:55:37 pm by IDM »
I don't think 442 would be any better if the players are as lacklustre as they were in then first half yesterday.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 14, 2016, 11:06:36 pm by dickos1 »

Rowe wouldn't be

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 15, 2016, 02:26:54 am by Sammy Chung was King »
His two systems are the dreaded 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 diamond, i don't see him changing from them. 3-5-2 could maybe work when the players missing are all fit, but not with the side we are playing at the moment.
I think Lund/Butler/Garrett, could work given time, but we don't have time, results need to be picked up every game. The wing backs are the major problem, he is blindly following the system, while not seeing, blair could do damage further forward.
Our major problem, is getting players on form, and enough of them, every week, while the side is unsettled, it makes sense to play them in positions that are 'second nature'.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 15, 2016, 01:26:44 pm by BobG »
Looking at Fergie's defence of 3-5-2 over the weekend the answer to the OP's question has to be a resounding 'No' doesn't it?

BobG

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 15, 2016, 01:32:59 pm by IDM »
I think the players need to up their game regardless of formation.  They are pros aren't they?

Didn't we play 4-6-0 under SoD sometimes?

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 15, 2016, 03:19:44 pm by drfc1951 »
I would have hoped Fergie explained to the players he signed pre season, what would be expected of them and what formations he was going to play.If the players werent comfortable with their role in a particular formation, they shouldnt have signed.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 15, 2016, 03:33:24 pm by drfchound »
Last season was a disaster with the dreaded wing back system, it was the main reason we went down.
A few games before the end of the season we went with a flat back four and ended the winless run and began to pick up points.
Had DF changed things a few games earlier i have no doubt we would have stayed up.
As for Rowe, well he played those last few games in a team with a flat back four and showed that he can actually perform well in those circumstances so to say differently is just stupidity.
Our players look all at sea trying to play the way Ferguson wants them to and yet when it is switched to a four at the back suddenly they look more than capable of winning games.
There are one or two on here who are convinced that we stayed with a back three for the whole game against Crawley but that is not what happened.
it doesnt have to be 4-4-2 either in fact i would prefer a 4-1-4-1 set up which has been good for us in the past.
Matty Blair is a very good attacking player and he will create chances for us but he is not a wing back and was like a fish out of water for the first hour on Saturday, i felt really sorry for him.
Ferguson needs to open his eyes and see that his 3-5-2 isnt right for us just now.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 15, 2016, 03:39:21 pm by PDX_Rover »
He's not going to change it. He basically says it's the players not performing, not the system.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 15, 2016, 03:54:03 pm by GazLaz »
The players are not performing because of the system. Clouded minds.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 15, 2016, 04:01:21 pm by drfchound »
The players are not performing because of the system. Clouded minds.

Proven by the upturn in performance after the switch to a back four on Saturday.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 15, 2016, 05:16:52 pm by swintonrover »
Fergie's arrogance is astounding. You aren't your dad. Straightforwardness gets you out of League 2, not fancy b*llocks.

deksykes

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 15, 2016, 06:59:43 pm by deksykes »

Rowe wouldn't be
Why,just play him as a number 10 behind a lone striker,most teams now play a 4231

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 15, 2016, 07:20:29 pm by jmt »
Has he been in this league before?
Give it a few games with his own players ffs

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 15, 2016, 07:26:12 pm by IDM »
Has he been in this league before?
Give it a few games with his own players ffs

Yes with Peterborough, got them promoted then into the championship the following season..

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 15, 2016, 07:50:13 pm by steve@dcfd »
Will Williams, Marquis take more chances playing in 442.

Blair playing further forward will make more chances for them.

So if we have not got Wright and Mason then we should be getting another versatile defender. Cost should not co come into it. We need another defender now.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 15, 2016, 08:05:59 pm by dickos1 »
Last season was a disaster with the dreaded wing back system, it was the main reason we went down.
A few games before the end of the season we went with a flat back four and ended the winless run and began to pick up points.
Had DF changed things a few games earlier i have no doubt we would have stayed up.
As for Rowe, well he played those last few games in a team with a flat back four and showed that he can actually perform well in those circumstances so to say differently is just stupidity.
Our players look all at sea trying to play the way Ferguson wants them to and yet when it is switched to a four at the back suddenly they look more than capable of winning games.
There are one or two on here who are convinced that we stayed with a back three for the whole game against Crawley but that is not what happened.
it doesnt have to be 4-4-2 either in fact i would prefer a 4-1-4-1 set up which has been good for us in the past.
Matty Blair is a very good attacking player and he will create chances for us but he is not a wing back and was like a fish out of water for the first hour on Saturday, i felt really sorry for him.
Ferguson needs to open his eyes and see that his 3-5-2 isnt right for us just now.

Don't be daft, the main reason we went down
The majority of games last season we played 4 at the back

TinyPortal © 2005-2012