Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 07:13:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis  (Read 14377 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Marquis
« on August 17, 2016, 08:17:13 am by GazLaz »
Looks a very good signing to me. His work rate and movement is quality. There are two main negstives though, 1) his finishing is terrible and 2) he goes out with Lewis Dunks sister...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Marquis
« Reply #1 on August 17, 2016, 08:54:31 am by IDM »
I dunno, I think you are being harsh.. 1) he took his goal very well and most of the other chances were blocked or saved and 2) who cares!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 17, 2016, 08:57:04 am by GazLaz »
I dunno, I think you are being harsh.. 1) he took his goal very well and most of the other chances were blocked or saved and 2) who cares!

His finishing is poor. That's not up for debate. The second part was just a lite hearted quip!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 17, 2016, 08:59:20 am by IDM »
So was my response!

I disagree, he knows where the goal is and forced the keeper to make saves.  yes, he could have placed some efforts better especially the last on where he burst into the box.  But he is getting there and the goal will give him great confidence. 

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 17, 2016, 09:03:24 am by GazLaz »
He will always get chances because his movement is so good. Can't see him getting more than 10 this season.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 17, 2016, 09:12:00 am by IDM »
We will see..

Who takes our next penalty?

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 17, 2016, 09:13:07 am by Mike_F »
Tommy Rowe

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 17, 2016, 09:17:45 am by GazLaz »
Williams should. He was obviously the best penalty taker last week, as they chose him first of all, so he will still be the best this week. Aguero missed two in a game last night and I bet he still takes the next one.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 17, 2016, 09:19:19 am by Retdon1 »
He should of scored that chance he had when one on one with the keeper. He reminds me alot of Chris Brown

Wade Falana

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 17, 2016, 11:07:18 am by Wade Falana »
He should of scored that chance he had when one on one with the keeper. He reminds me alot of Chris Brown

He reminds me of Curtis Main, runs around a lot but dont think he'll score a lot.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 17, 2016, 11:12:03 am by The Red Baron »
Looks a bit keener than Curtis though.

My big worry is scoring enough goals. If Marquis gets 10 that will probably be it. Rowe, McSheffrey and Copps will probably manage a few but neither will be prolific. So we're relying a lot on Williams who as we know blows hot and cold.

Looks like we need one more striker.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 17, 2016, 11:33:51 am by rtid88 »
For me his finishing is atrocious but hopefully that is a confidence thing. Every shot he took was straight at the goalkeeper and his goal was an incredibly simple finish due to the quality of the ball across.
Seems to run around a lot like a headless chicken and when he does get the ball doesn't really seem to know what to do with it.
Definitely can't fault the effort he puts in though but as you couldnt with Main either.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 17, 2016, 01:00:25 pm by 5minstogo »
At least he's getting shots on target. I'd rather see a shot at the keeper than high and wide.  For me we still need a striker to bring on from the bench. Someone small and tricky with a bit of pace. Hopefully that will be Keshi.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 17, 2016, 01:08:38 pm by Bezza »
Marquis reminds me of James Hayter with intelligent runs and great work rate,if he keeps that up goals will come

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 17, 2016, 01:15:50 pm by IDM »
We have suffered in the last few seasons from a distinct lack of creating chances - that's one reason why we have struggled and been relegated.  Even with missing or having shots saved, these players are capable of scoring more if we create more.

I can see Marquis getting 15+ goals if we carry on like last night.  Add that to what Williams should get, plus contributions from Rowe, McSheffery, Mandeville etc and we should be OK.

I agree Keshi would be a great coupe though!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 17, 2016, 01:28:21 pm by NickDRFC »
At least he's getting shots on target. I'd rather see a shot at the keeper than high and wide.  For me we still need a striker to bring on from the bench. Someone small and tricky with a bit of pace. Hopefully that will be Keshi.

There's a ridiculously small chance that Keshi will be coming here on loan. And there's about a 1/100th of that chance that he will be coming here on loan to play the last 20 minutes of a game from the bench!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 17, 2016, 02:25:00 pm by drfchound »
Marquis reminds me of James Hayter with intelligent runs and great work rate,if he keeps that up goals will come

A good comparison that.
I actually think Marquis is likely to turn out better than Hayter (even allowing for him scoring THAT goal).

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 17, 2016, 02:25:28 pm by drfchound »
We will see..

Coppinger will take the next one.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 17, 2016, 02:28:23 pm by GazLaz »

A good comparison that.
I actually think Marquis is likely to turn out better than Hayter (even allowing for him scoring THAT goal).

I said that last night. He's very much like Hayter and Neil Roberts.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 17, 2016, 02:44:24 pm by Mike_F »
I also had him down as a Neil Roberts type but with a touch more pace. Certainly a better comparison than Chris Brown.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 17, 2016, 02:44:46 pm by steve@dcfd »

I agree with that but he did score 8 goals from 13 games when on loan with Northampton. Maybe trying to hard in front of goal at the moment. Let's hope they can all relax and start taking chances.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 17, 2016, 03:01:48 pm by wing commander »
  Somebody even compared him to Curtis Main which I cant see myself Marquis can get into the positions better but probably isn't as good a finisher...Talking of Curtis, the fans are none too impressed with him so far..They haven't had a good start even though they are favourites and are already calling for Cooks head...And we thought we had problems..lol

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 17, 2016, 03:36:45 pm by Muttley »
But is it pronounced mark-ee or mark-wiss or even mark-iss?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 17, 2016, 03:41:22 pm by The Red Baron »
Should be "Mark-wiss" unless he's French.

Or a fan of The Fall!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YchlTWWVNk8

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 17, 2016, 03:43:23 pm by Woodhead Passer »
We will see..

Coppinger will take the next one.

Tommy Rowe is next on penalty duty.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 17, 2016, 03:48:38 pm by The Red Baron »
I've always thought defenders make good penalty takers, usually because they don't get many opportunities to score.

Anyone remember Norman  "Cannonball" Curtis? A full back best known for his time at Sheffield Wednesday but who had a spell as Rovers player-manager in 1960-61. He was Wednesday's regular penalty taker and only missed one or two in his whole career.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 17, 2016, 03:50:09 pm by GazLaz »
Only penaltys along the floor get saved. Get a bit of height on them. Pro's should miss 1 in 10.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 17, 2016, 04:05:44 pm by IDM »
Only penaltys along the floor get saved. Get a bit of height on them. Pro's should miss 1 in 10.

Great, that's Williams and Marquis banged on for the next 18 between them then!!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 17, 2016, 04:13:37 pm by NickDRFC »
I've always thought defenders make good penalty takers, usually because they don't get many opportunities to score.

Anyone remember Norman  "Cannonball" Curtis? A full back best known for his time at Sheffield Wednesday but who had a spell as Rovers player-manager in 1960-61. He was Wednesday's regular penalty taker and only missed one or two in his whole career.

One of the best penalty takers I remember from my younger days was Julian Dicks. Absolutely leathered the ball, if the keeper was going to guess right then he was going in the net with it.

On the other hand you've got Tim Ryan. He could certainly belt the ball, but that penalty that squirmed over the line at Chester was an absolute shocker, both from him and the keeper!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 17, 2016, 04:21:03 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Geoff Hurst had the best idea, blast it straight down the middle, and if the goalie didn't dive out of the way he would hit the back of the net along with the ball.

Mind you, the ball was much heavier back then!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012