Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 07:38:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Who is our best goalkeeper

Marko
45 (44.6%)
Ross
56 (55.4%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Author Topic: No1  (Read 10597 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
No1
« on August 17, 2016, 09:21:28 am by GazLaz »
Who do people want to see in goal going forward? I really don't rate Marosi, he looks like an accident waiting to happen for me. Etheridge has made mistakes admittedly but looks more like he's got the potential to kick on.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
Re: No1
« Reply #1 on August 17, 2016, 09:26:58 am by Retdon1 »
Marosi to me has a bit of Gary woods about him. He doesn't command his area and flaps when coming for crosses. I would worrie if teams were hammering our box with crosses if we could hold out.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 17, 2016, 09:28:38 am by DonnyOsmond »
Long term Etheridge but Marosi for now. I reckon Marosi is better with pressure where as Etheridge is the kind of guy who needs wrapping up in cotton wool not yelling at him calling him w**k.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 17, 2016, 09:30:02 am by Mike_F »
I must admit I never rated him and saw him only as a cheap back-up option but for now I'd go with Marko. He didn't have much to do last night and I agree that he sometimes looks like an accident waiting to happen but he's not going to get better without the experience of game time. Etheridge's accidents have already happened in two games so it's Marko's shirt to lose.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 17, 2016, 09:36:12 am by Donnywolf »
Wish whichever Keeper it is that they would have a Coach to NOT punch when it is not necessary

There was one last night that seemed to be ideal for catching rather than punching. Catch cleanly and the pressure ends - punch and it can go anywhere so Away team were straight back in possession and pressure back on

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 17, 2016, 09:41:59 am by DonnyOsmond »
Alternatively punch and it goes to one of our guys and we counter while their men are all in our box. Catch and both teams regain shape.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 17, 2016, 10:05:46 am by steve@dcfd »
Etheridge was brought in to be No. 1 he appears to have made mistakes. But Marosi with very little to do last but when called to do especially at crossed flapped, punched looked did not look confident.

The best keeper on show was Cambridge's keeper.

If DF does not have confidence with Etheridge he should be looking for a better keeper because neither keeper look up to the No. 1 spot.

Wade Falana

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 17, 2016, 11:11:21 am by Wade Falana »
I was talking to a couple of Accy fans before the first game and they both said he was steady and nothing special, I always wonder what our scouting team look for.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 17, 2016, 11:12:44 am by GazLaz »
Potential I would imagine

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 17, 2016, 11:14:02 am by The Red Baron »
Fergie didn't seem happy with having an older keeper last season so presumably the brief was to find a promising youngster.

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 17, 2016, 11:15:23 am by bradford exile »
And the decision was made that Stuckman was worth than both????????????????? by whom??????

Regards

Ray

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 17, 2016, 11:35:25 am by rtid88 »
Marosi last night either didn't come for the ball if it was crossed over or if he did he flapped his arms around like a fairy. Can't half kick a ball though!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 17, 2016, 12:30:37 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Ferguson was clear in the comments that he took Etheridge "out of the firing line".  He's a young keeper and looked decent from what I've seen but a couple of nervy mistakes within a nervy team I'd say.

The more frustrating thing was the fans getting on his back after 2 games. The guy's a young lad and should get support, not the abuse he's had from some at games so far.  Disappointing that.  It's early days for him and he may take a bit of time to settle.  I seem to remember De Gea at Man Utd being heavily criticised when he was young and first at Man Utd - not now.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 17, 2016, 12:52:41 pm by 5minstogo »
I don't think Fergie is keen on Marosi but is a bit concerned that Etheridge hasn't started well.

I think Marosi deserves a chance for a few games, you don't change a winning team.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 17, 2016, 01:01:16 pm by Bezza »
Marosi is another Gary Woods who was lucky to have Rob Jones in front of him.Stuckman would have been a better bet for this season

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 17, 2016, 01:03:07 pm by Chris Black come back »
It is certainly an interesting approach by Ferguson to drop goalkeepers after a single mistake. It doesn't seem to have much positive impact mind either.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 17, 2016, 01:19:33 pm by glosterred »
To early this tell

COYR

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 17, 2016, 01:22:00 pm by idler »
Given time I think Ross will turn into a good keeper maybe not with us though.
He was wanted by Portsmouth and I think that it was Bury as well.
They obviously saw potential. If those in front of him at Accrington had done their jobs he would probably kept a clean sheet.
Hopefully he has a good future with us.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 17, 2016, 06:54:14 pm by dickos1 »
It is certainly an interesting approach by Ferguson to drop goalkeepers after a single mistake. It doesn't seem to have much positive impact mind either.

We won, that's quite a positive effect isn't it?

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 17, 2016, 07:24:57 pm by StocktonRover »

But he hasn't just made a single mistake, he's made a series of 3 mistakes which have resulted in goals for the opposition (York, Accrington, Crawley).

I don't agree with criticism or abuse during the game at all - that's for the pub or the forum (modern faceless equivalent).
I do however think that he will come back stronger when the defence is more settled and he has rebuilt his confidence in training

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 17, 2016, 08:35:11 pm by LincolnDonny »
I would have voted for ............A. N. Other

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 17, 2016, 08:37:39 pm by pib »
Ross.  Signed as number 1 goalkeeper so stick to your guns DF.  He's made mistakes, but he was signed as number 1 so should be given longer to prove himself.

Marko has always been the emergency goalkeeper, and has shown signs in his few appearances for the club that he's probably not the answer.  The Forest game he was poor and last night was far from convincing - he didn't have much to do, but everything he did have to do he flapped at, punched weakly, and generally made the defence jittery.

Then again we could've just kept Stuckmann who did a lot more right than he did wrong.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 17, 2016, 09:50:48 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Got be honest, neither. Don't think either of them are good enough from what I've seen so far

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 17, 2016, 11:14:03 pm by dickos1 »
Buy the Cambridge goalie

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 18, 2016, 12:52:52 am by Sammy Chung was King »
When you have just signed a new keeper, don't drop them after a couple of poor games, he hasn't done him any favours with that decision.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 18, 2016, 07:30:00 am by DonnyOsmond »
Buy the Cambridge goalie

Same problem as Etheridge. People judging him on one game, or two in Etheridges case.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 18, 2016, 09:01:47 am by GazLaz »
Ross is still very young and very inexperienced and this is a massive move for him. Without being patronising to Accrington he must be feeling a bit of pressure at being the No1 at a much bigger club. The expectation levels are higher, he's playing with players on a lot more money, the training demands will be higher also. Players aren't robots, especially the young ones. It might just take time to settle in. I've seen very little of him, as we all have, but I've seen enough to know that he's got the makings of a proper keeper. He did some good things at Accrington and in the warm up he looks worlds apart from Marosi.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 18, 2016, 09:16:25 am by wing commander »
When you have just signed a new keeper, don't drop them after a couple of poor games, he hasn't done him any favours with that decision.

You cant have it all ways though can you..DF and the team had come under pressure on here because we hadn't started great and Ross had let in a couple of soft goals he should have done better with...It's not whats best for Ross it's whats best for the team...If he's as good as some think he will come good, but right now like any other player in the team if he isn't playing well he loses his place...

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 18, 2016, 10:28:17 am by DonnyOsmond »
The kids got a soul patch aswell, you can tell from that he's not the most confident and needs a hug.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 18, 2016, 10:43:41 am by wing commander »
The kids got a soul patch aswell, you can tell from that he's not the most confident and needs a hug.

Then you have to question why we signed him then because that's not a good trait for a keeper were mental strength is everything..Whilst I appreciate what people are saying he was signed to be our no1 which means DF thought he was better equipped to do that than BFG from the off..This is not Real Madrid in la liga,this is Doncaster Rovers in league 2 so I just don't buy the handle the pressure argument, he has to handle it from day one...It's interesting that even though Marosi isn't considered to be a no1 goalkeeper the vote isn't that decisive for Ross.
    The problem for him now is how does he get his confidence without development games or are we just going to swap them about everytime one of them blunders?? When it comes to Keepers I'm not sure how DF could have ballsed it up anymore than he has since he arrived..BFG was more than good enough for this level and we wouldn't have had to spend money out the budget like we have,which could have gone on players in positions that we do need...Just my opinion of course...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012