Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 07:48:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Who is our best goalkeeper

Marko
45 (44.6%)
Ross
56 (55.4%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Author Topic: No1  (Read 10599 times)

rtid88

• Forum Member
Re: No1
« Reply #30 on August 18, 2016, 12:06:40 pm by rtid88 »
Didn't his Dad have a similar issue with De Gea when he 1st joined United. He had a pretty shocking start to his United career but his Dad stuck with him and talked him up in the press and look at him now. Obviously cant compare him to Ross but its a similar scenario

Pity Fergie Jnr couldn't pick up half of the knowledge and managerial expertise his Dad had.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 18, 2016, 12:22:13 pm by GazLaz »
The kids got a soul patch aswell, you can tell from that he's not the most confident and needs a hug.

A what??

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 18, 2016, 12:35:21 pm by NickDRFC »
One of those excuses for facial hair just below the bottom lip. David Villa.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on August 18, 2016, 02:02:05 pm by The Red Baron »
Apparently Ferguson said at his press conference that he's looking at bringing in a more experienced keeper! Hardly a vote of confidence in Etheridge or Marosi.

Maybe he should have thought of that earlier.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 18, 2016, 03:52:14 pm by rtid88 »
The guy is an idiot!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 18, 2016, 08:41:14 pm by steve@dcfd »
The guy is an idiot!

No the guy is right if the young keepers cannot stand the pressure then an experience keeper is required for them to learn off. We are going for promotion aren't we.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 18, 2016, 09:36:37 pm by rtid88 »
The guy is an idiot!

No the guy is right if the young keepers cannot stand the pressure then an experience keeper is required for them to learn off. We are going for promotion aren't we.
Than if he knows we need an experienced keeper why sign a new young one, keep the current young one we had and not offer the experienced Keeper that we had who is far better than these two a new contract?  That's why he is an idiot!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 18, 2016, 09:42:56 pm by steve@dcfd »
The guy is an idiot!

Than if he knows we need an experienced keeper why sign a new young one, keep the current young one we had and not offer the experienced Keeper that we had who is far better than these two a new contract?  That's why he is an idiot!

That's your opinion I have a different view Stuckmann was an experienced keeper but was not a good keeper. He would palm shots out to oncoming strikers. I want better so he will only be an idiot if he does not get better.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 19, 2016, 01:42:36 am by Sammy Chung was King »
He seems to be very impulsive ferguson, it doesn't take much for a player to be dropped. High standards i understand, but not allowing any mistakes from a new signing, doesn't make sense.
He is going round in circles, he had an experienced keeper, got rid of him and signing a young keeper, now he wants experienced again. Whoever takes over after ferguson, is going to have some mess to clean up.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on August 19, 2016, 07:31:12 am by IDM »
Whoever takes over after ferguson, is going to have some mess to clean up.

He's not gone yet!!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 19, 2016, 08:31:56 am by GazLaz »
He seems to be very impulsive ferguson, it doesn't take much for a player to be dropped. High standards i understand, but not allowing any mistakes from a new signing, doesn't make sense.
He is going round in circles, he had an experienced keeper, got rid of him and signing a young keeper, now he wants experienced again. Whoever takes over after ferguson, is going to have some mess to clean up.

You don't half talk some waffle.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on August 19, 2016, 08:40:56 am by RedJ »
Not quite the word I'd use...

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 19, 2016, 08:57:19 am by GazLaz »
Not quite the word I'd use...

I was being polite... Seems a thoroughly nice chap though don't get me wrong.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 19, 2016, 09:53:13 am by rtid88 »

You don't half talk some waffle.
Makes perfect sense to me! Well said Sammy!

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on August 19, 2016, 10:05:25 am by wing commander »
  yes I agree... it does make sense to me too...We don't yet know how good Ross is..Accrington fans didn't think he was a great loss and Fergusons judgement on keepers doesn't seem impressive to me..At league 2 level BFG was more than good enough,he was still in contract for this season..Now we have 2 young keepers and neither one of them has so far looked good enough...So Sammy's argument currently holds up..

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 19, 2016, 10:15:23 am by GazLaz »
  yes I agree... it does make sense to me too...We don't yet know how good Ross is..Accrington fans didn't think he was a great loss and Fergusons judgement on keepers doesn't seem impressive to me..At league 2 level BFG was more than good enough,he was still in contract for this season..Now we have 2 young keepers and neither one of them has so far looked good enough...So Sammy's argument currently holds up..

You are looking at things in black and white. Things in football aren't black and white. We are in a much better position squad wise than we were when Fergie took over.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 19, 2016, 10:23:41 am by NickDRFC »
We are in a much better position squad wise but it doesn't mean a lot unless we are winning games. We are also in a much worse position division wise. I have faith that Ferguson can turn it around and win us promotion with this squad, but it's not really any surprise that he is being criticised.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 19, 2016, 10:38:45 am by rtid88 »

You are looking at things in black and white. Things in football aren't black and white. We are in a much better position squad wise than we were when Fergie took over.
No idea what you really mean by that Tbh, the fact is we had an experienced goalkeeper in our ranks in Stuckmann, he decided to not renew his contract for what ever reason which for me was a ridiculous decision. However following that he decided to sign a young goalkeeper from another League 2 club and renew the contract of another young goalkeeper who he had shown no previous interest in. He has now decided that he needs an experienced goalkeeper in this league. If that doesn't strike anyone as odd and lead them to question Fergies decision making skills than I don't know what will. In terms of the overall squad I probably would agree that it is stronger I just question whether Fergie is the right man to get the best out of it.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 19, 2016, 10:51:39 am by wing commander »

No idea what you really mean by that Tbh, the fact is we had an experienced goalkeeper in our ranks in Stuckmann, he decided to not renew his contract for what ever reason which for me was a ridiculous decision. However following that he decided to sign a young goalkeeper from another League 2 club and renew the contract of another young goalkeeper who he had shown no previous interest in. He has now decided that he needs an experienced goalkeeper in this league. If that doesn't strike anyone as odd and lead them to question Fergies decision making skills than I don't know what will. In terms of the overall squad I probably would agree that it is stronger I just question whether Fergie is the right man to get the best out of it.

He didn't have to renew Stuckmanns contract,he was still in contract this season..We've had to come to terms with him and pay him off....Which makes it worse...

As for the black and white argument...I don't get your point...The squad we had last year was fancied to do well and consisted of players who had all played championship or league 1...This seasons squad consists of league 2 players...The only thing not black and white about that ,is were they really not good enough or would a different manager have got a lot more out of them???..
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:54:44 am by wing commander »

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 19, 2016, 11:37:11 am by 5minstogo »
If Fergie is looking at free transfers there are slim pickings on the experienced GK front. Stuart Taylor, Paul Smith, Chris Weale, Chris Kirkland. Are these much better than Stuckmann?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on August 19, 2016, 11:43:42 am by NickDRFC »
I used to think Chris Weale was a fantastic keeper, but I think he's been on a steady decline for a few years now. Stuart Taylor has played as much pro football as me in the past few years, I think Paul Smith is at Southend, and I doubt Chris Kirkland is bothered about playing any more.

I'd rather stick with Etheridge/Marosi (give one of them a run of games, my preference would be Etheridge) than sign someone else.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 19, 2016, 12:05:12 pm by steve@dcfd »
You can have an experienced keeper without them having to be 30+ in Stuckmann's case 35. We should not have to accept second best because he was on our books.

Let's not forget our two keepers, DF's choice of course, are 21 and 22 if he feels we need an older keeper that's his choice. Same I believe we need 26/27 year old players at the back but they cost money for the level we need. We are going for success and promotion.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 19, 2016, 12:23:09 pm by RoversAlias »
Everyone being stuck on Stuckmann continues to confuse me. He dropped some almighty clangers last season, very costly ones in the grand scheme of our relegation and what did he really bring to the table that was better than any other keeper we've had in the last year or two? His command of his area was woeful, his movement wasn't great and his distribution certainly no better than what I've seen from Etheridge and Marosi. He was a good shot stopper, but it seems we've had a string of "good shot stoppers" who aren't much good at anything else.

I think Fergie should've signed an experienced keeper alongside Etheridge but I don't think that means we should've kept Stuckmann.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on August 19, 2016, 12:44:29 pm by steve@dcfd »
Everyone being stuck on Stuckmann continues to confuse me. He dropped some almighty clangers last season, very costly ones in the grand scheme of our relegation and what did he really bring to the table that was better than any other keeper we've had in the last year or two? His command of his area was woeful, his movement wasn't great and his distribution certainly no better than what I've seen from Etheridge and Marosi. He was a good shot stopper, but it seems we've had a string of "good shot stoppers" who aren't much good at anything else.

I think Fergie should've signed an experienced keeper alongside Etheridge but I don't think that means we should've kept Stuckmann.
Why let the facts spoil a dig at the manager.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 19, 2016, 12:53:27 pm by wing commander »
   it's all down to opinions I guess..I can accept the point you've made on Stuckmanns short comings, although for me he was more than good enough for Doncaster Rovers and no keeper we had on loan after did any better faced with the defence in front of him...And the new lad hasn't shown us anything to persuade us he's a improvement...

We are playing in league 2 and you are not going to find a experienced keeper who is good at all the things mentioned who is either available or in our budget...For my money we would have been much better treating Stuckmann better,playing him this season as our no1,signing Ross as the future and letting Marosi go at the end of his contract...But the beauty of football is we all have different opinions...

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on August 19, 2016, 04:20:16 pm by idler »

Why let the facts spoil a dig at the manager.
I don't see a dig at the manager there Steve. I agree about Stuckman's shortcomings but also see that as a squad player he could have been useful and might even have played the majority of games. I suppose the decision was that financially he wasn't worth what he was being paid.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on August 20, 2016, 09:47:31 am by Donnywolf »
Well the electorate have spoken. Ross wins more convincingly than "Leave" did in the EU Referendum and this time I don't crave a second Vote

IMO of the 2 in the poll he is the better man BUT again for me I would have kept Stuckmann for his experience which MAY have proved invaluable at this level with RE as his understudy and unfortunately MM would have had to go (nothing personal)

Seems bizarre to be looking for a more experienced Keeper now when we had such a man and let him go

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 20, 2016, 09:54:01 am by Chris Black come back »
What was most concerning about Stuckmann was that he started off very strong but then got worse as the season progressed - particularly after Ferguson took over.

It could be a personality issue as you get in all workplaces, but Ferguson does expect his goalkeepers to be good with their feet and distribution, which could have unsettled him.

Also playing behind that bizarre and shocking defence cannot have helped him either.

MrWoodySir

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 20, 2016, 10:08:28 am by MrWoodySir »
Neither.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 20, 2016, 02:29:06 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Marosi is a number 2 keeper. There's a limit on what we can afford for that position. IMO he's easily good enough for us.

Of course we can dream of having a better number 1 keeper, but that would cost and IMO Ross seems like he is also about right for us, with potential to improve.

With both of them, a little extra spent on coaching may be the best use of funds. I don't know what the whole keeper coaching situation is but relying on one person is a very limited option. One main coach plus other less frequent but intensive input from someone of real class, plus a good sports psychologist would be my ideal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012