Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 08:57:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The red arrows > best act since sliced bread  (Read 5176 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
The red arrows > best act since sliced bread
« on February 10, 2017, 04:01:28 pm by not on facebook »
display

Read more at: http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/doncaster-man-picked-to-fly-with-red-arrows-for-new-display-season-1-8382755

They have been at it since 1965 and long may they last,seems a chap
from Doncaster has been selected to fly with them.

I doubt anyone would have a negative word to say about the red arrows .
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:03:48 pm by not on facebook »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tommy toes

• Forum Member
Re: The red arrows > best act since sliced bread
« Reply #1 on February 10, 2017, 04:26:29 pm by tommy toes »
From Vic Reeves big night out...
Glad to see the Red Arrows are still flying in formation, makes my job a lot easier.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 10, 2017, 06:49:11 pm by drfc1951 »
My son in law is stationed at Scampton, big mate of Jay.I think his dad lives in Rosso.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 10, 2017, 07:09:22 pm by NickDRFC »
Speaking of arrows, what's with the constant use of >>>? Nothing against it, just noticed it is a regular feature in your posts.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 10, 2017, 07:19:37 pm by not on facebook »
Speaking of arrows, what's with the constant use of >>>? Nothing against it, just noticed it is a regular feature in your posts.

I have no idea tbh ,I guess it's just a phase > maybe I need counciling or a social worker.

While we are on the red arrows took me eldest to Bournemouth 4 day air show last year and he was
more than pre warned all about the red arrows via you tube.

When the red arrows flew in low above us to start their show me lads face was a picture as he was gob smacked about the whole thing.

Just a pitty weather was shite for the Saturday and Sunday

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 10, 2017, 07:23:00 pm by glosterred »
In this time of tight purse strings they should be disbanded and sent back to proper squadrons and not just performing for the public

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 10, 2017, 07:35:35 pm by not on facebook »
In this time of tight purse strings they should be disbanded and sent back to proper squadrons and not just performing for the public

I beg to differ

British flying skills at its best as even the yank fly by boys stand back nodding their heads .

If you have it flaunt it .

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 10, 2017, 07:43:01 pm by dknward2 »
Agree it helps give that feel good factor

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 10, 2017, 11:51:46 pm by BobG »
I prefer the Italians tbh. The Frecce Trivolori. Proper nut jobs they are. They proved it a few years back over Ramstein too. They do a good show though and I'm lucky enough to see them over my house every summer.

BobG

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 11, 2017, 12:07:16 pm by drfc1951 »
I prefer the Italians tbh. The Frecce Trivolori. Proper nut jobs they are. They proved it a few years back over Ramstein too. They do a good show though and I'm lucky enough to see them over my house every summer.

BobG

Are they the ones that collided in mid air over Ramstein?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:12:02 pm by drfc1951 »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 11, 2017, 01:27:13 pm by IDM »

That is a valid point and one the raf takes very seriously..  however the pr value and recruitment drive they bring is massive..

Also for the personnel it is vital not to be on front line operational squadrons all the time..  the pilots maintain their flying skills and the engineers do the same as they would anywhere else..

The vast majority of the raf is not on front line squadrons anyway..

Tens of thousands of people go to air shows every year and pay good money, many attracted by the Reds..

For me, I have seen them - and other air displays - not to be bothered any more, however many are..

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 11, 2017, 02:27:20 pm by BobG »
They are DRFC. If you google them, or Ramstein, there's plenty of film of it. It's chuffing awful. 3 planes came down... And you know what, even today they do something where they all meet, low down, at a single point over the airfield. First time I saw it I nearly wet myself. They do do a very good show. Different to the Red Arrows as the Arrows are smooth as silk, but, for me, the Tricolori bring a 'wow factor'.

Bob

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 11, 2017, 03:09:33 pm by drfc1951 »
I have seen it on u tube, and i have been to Ramstein 4 or 5 times as my son in law was based there ,before he came back to Scampton.Had some brilliant xmas and new years there as well as summer holidays.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 11, 2017, 03:10:51 pm by not on facebook »
While your on air shows bob the RAF Finnengley Battle of Britain shows for me were allways out of this world .

The harrier jump jet

Lightening

Phantom

Sea king

Spitfire Lancaster hurricane and Wellington

Concorde

Vulcan bombers

Mosquito

I could go on .the whole day and build up to it was just as good as any facup final day back then for me what with the thousands upon thousands and more that attended .

Nothing will ever beat the roar of Vulcan bombers going airborne.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 11, 2017, 04:19:35 pm by IDM »
The sound of them coming back is just as important!

But I know what you mean..

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 11, 2017, 05:57:33 pm by RobTheRover »
As a Rosso lad,  I used to love the RAF Finningley Air Show.

Your post brought it all flooding back,  John. Remember sitting in a Lightning on the ground once. Awesome when you are 10 years old. And the noise those Vulcans made. Absolutely deafening.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 11, 2017, 07:39:07 pm by drfc1951 »
Also grew up in Rosso and used to walk to Finningley every year.I also worked on the camp as a civillian in supply squadron for 6 years.Used to work on the day brilliant,and a brilliant night in the Rose and Acorn.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 11, 2017, 09:02:00 pm by not on facebook »
As a Rosso lad,  I used to love the RAF Finningley Air Show.

Your post brought it all flooding back,  John. Remember sitting in a Lightning on the ground once. Awesome when you are 10 years old. And the noise those Vulcans made. Absolutely deafening.

Was back in donny last august and I took me eldest lad to see the Vulcan parked up
in the display hanger at finningley .

When you stand right next to the beast it don't let you down,well it does in one way only and that
been you know it will never fly again.

Found out the other week that the Vulcan on display at finningley is going to be closed down to the public as they don't have the funds to keeping the display open.

When the UK sends shit loads of money to 3rd world country's abroad to help them in their need ,but
our successive governments are more than happy to let something that made part of Britain great is
wrong .

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 12, 2017, 02:55:16 pm by bahrain rover »
In my last 2 years In Armthorpe i saw the Vulcan flying out and back home to the various airshows around the UK, before it was retired. We got used to the rough timings. Absolutely magnificent site as we would go up regular for the fly past and landing. But bloody hell it could chuck out one hell of a black cloud from them engines. 

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 12, 2017, 06:06:25 pm by The Red Baron »
I lived in Hatfield and we seemed to be under the flypath for Finningley. The noise of the Vulcans coming over was a regular occurrence. They were a magnificent sight though.

Some time ago I remember watching a fascinating documentary about how a Vulcan bombed the runway at Port Stanley during the Falklands War. Probably the last truly operational mission by a Vulcan and carried out very successfully. The Argentinians were unable to use the runway as a result.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 12, 2017, 06:44:13 pm by i_ateallthepies »
RB, 'Vulcan 607' by Rowland White is a fascinating read about the attack on Port Stanley from conception of the idea to the return of the flight to Ascension Island.  Provides such a detailed insight into just what a logistical near impossibility the whole thing was and the bravery of the people who carried out the mission.  So good is the story telling that even though you know the outcome it still has you on the edge of your seat.  Mesmerising, absolutely mesmerising.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 12, 2017, 07:40:51 pm by Filo »
I lived in Hatfield and we seemed to be under the flypath for Finningley. The noise of the Vulcans coming over was a regular occurrence. They were a magnificent sight though.

Some time ago I remember watching a fascinating documentary about how a Vulcan bombed the runway at Port Stanley during the Falklands War. Probably the last truly operational mission by a Vulcan and carried out very successfully. The Argentinians were unable to use the runway as a result.

Operation Black Buck, 14 Victor tankers were used to service 3 Vulcan to go from Accension Island to Port Stanley, some of the Victors themselves had to be refuelled along the way, the longest ranged bombing raids in history then 6800 miles

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 12, 2017, 09:20:18 pm by not on facebook »
We all know that the Vulcan bombers were the UKs answer during the Cold War conflict the the great bear .

The vulcans were set up to fly out to Russia and drop its load all over whatever target .

Iam sure that I read somewhere that on these missions to bomb Russia there was no way the aircraft was getting back to the U.K.

Pretty daunting to be a Crew member trained for one of those missions of no return.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 12, 2017, 09:51:52 pm by dknward2 »
Thats correct the maximum range was to moscow but not back. Was told this on the vulcan tour at donny airport such ashame its back in storage hope the next time she is out its back into her new hanger

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 13, 2017, 01:35:05 pm by not on facebook »
Red arrows taking off from Newcastle well worth a watch,turn up volume and wind on untill 5:10 on footage .

If you have a good music deck system the better

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wmPAWM96zE

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 13, 2017, 01:53:37 pm by IDM »
We all know that the Vulcan bombers were the UKs answer during the Cold War conflict the the great bear .

The vulcans were set up to fly out to Russia and drop its load all over whatever target .

Iam sure that I read somewhere that on these missions to bomb Russia there was no way the aircraft was getting back to the U.K.

Pretty daunting to be a Crew member trained for one of those missions of no return.

Although had we been bombing Russia, at that stage, there would have most likely been nothing left to come back to!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 13, 2017, 02:59:28 pm by not on facebook »

Although had we been bombing Russia, at that stage, there would have most likely been nothing left to come back to!

A very good valid point there fella ,wonder what went through the crews heads during the Cold War as they must have worked that one out .

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 13, 2017, 09:39:24 pm by BobG »
I remember seeing Lightnings at Finningley as a kid too. I can still one of the buggers pootling along low, level and not all that fast when it suddenly went straight through 90 degrees, stood right on its tail and decided to spear a hole in the sky. Bloody awesome thing! Is it still the only aeroplane that can or could accelerate absolutely vertically? I remember too though that if it set off after the Russkies over the North Sea it only had about 20 minutes to get there - and back!

Bob

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 13, 2017, 10:24:52 pm by not on facebook »
May I bring the buccaneer into the fold ,and when I say fold
that's exactly what it's wings did .

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 13, 2017, 10:54:17 pm by Filo »
I remember seeing Lightnings at Finningley as a kid too. I can still one of the buggers pootling along low, level and not all that fast when it suddenly went straight through 90 degrees, stood right on its tail and decided to spear a hole in the sky. Bloody awesome thing! Is it still the only aeroplane that can or could accelerate absolutely vertically? I remember too though that if it set off after the Russkies over the North Sea it only had about 20 minutes to get there - and back!

Bob

I think the present day Typhoon can accelerate vertically' and if you were around these parts last May, the night Leicester playef Tottenham you would have heard two Typhoons from RAF Conningsby break the sound barrier on the way to intercept an unresponsive aircraft over the North Sea

TinyPortal © 2005-2012