Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 11:11:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alfie May and Blair  (Read 4405 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Alfie May and Blair
« on March 11, 2017, 05:33:20 pm by Copps is Magic »
Both excellent today. Don't know how we haven't scored more goals. Their keepers made some worldies.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: Alfie May and Blair
« Reply #1 on March 11, 2017, 05:40:19 pm by Copps is Magic »
Williams looked really sharp as well when he came on.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 11, 2017, 05:41:15 pm by vaya »
Thought their keeper player a blinder at times. Still not dure how May didn't score. Zola-esque backheel and that series of half-volleys in the area.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 11, 2017, 05:43:05 pm by mushRTID »
It was a mixture of great keeping and poor finishing.

Copps and May made a mess of the one before half time, can't really say that was great goalkeeping we messed it up.

The one he tipped over the bar from Marquis second half was outstanding though.

Mac the hooped man

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 11, 2017, 05:50:52 pm by Mac the hooped man »
For me, Alphie may needs to realise he isn't non  league any more,  you can't have two touches and a second or so to think about it. On multiple times. he has been in a great position, but by the time he shoots, their defender has put in a blocking tackle..  needs to work this out quickly...

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 11, 2017, 05:53:09 pm by Copps is Magic »
Extremely harsh and a bit unreasonable
Made the 2nd, is getting loads of chances and works hard. Of course there is adaptions needed.

ballysbackin

« Reply #6 on March 11, 2017, 05:53:31 pm by ballysbackin »
Mac that is perfectly true and it is noticeable but Manager should take this on board

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 11, 2017, 05:54:37 pm by mushRTID »
For me, Alphie may needs to realise he isn't non  league any more,  you can't have two touches and a second or so to think about it. On multiple times. he has been in a great position, but by the time he shoots, their defender has put in a blocking tackle..  needs to work this out quickly...

I think that's a bit harsh, it is a big step up for him but he's adapting well and looks like he will do even more.

Can't ask any more of him at this stage.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 11, 2017, 06:02:00 pm by DaveDRFC »
I thought May was outstanding today. Thought he would struggle against a team of giants but he was fantastic. Worked hard and set up the second goal, maybe should have had one himself but he's only played about 5 games in league football!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 11, 2017, 06:19:02 pm by steve@dcfd »
I thought Copps, Rowe and Grant our three creative players were not good enough today. They have to do more the odd cameo is not good enough.
Blair and May created most of the chances today.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 11, 2017, 06:24:59 pm by roversdude »
Worst game I've seen Alcock have, can't believe how often we gave ball away
Did anyone notice Marquis have a proper rant at Baudry

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 11, 2017, 06:26:34 pm by mushRTID »

I thought Marquis had arse on all afternoon until he scored. Looked in a right mood.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 11, 2017, 06:34:49 pm by roversontheup »
I thought all our players gave the ball away lots today. Not sure I would single out one player.

Donny Viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 11, 2017, 06:37:59 pm by Donny Viking »

Not sure I agree, thought he was best striker on pitch today. He hit it first time and keeper saves, quick to rebound hits first time and hits defender, quick rebound and he's there first time again gets blocked by another defender. 3 first time shots all on target, more often than not one of those goes in. In fact his biggest mistake was the clean shots, had he shinned one it could easily have bobbled in. He knows he's not in non league now, his chasing and determination showed his roots - some others could learn from him. Great performance and deserved the applause when he came off.

Mac the hooped man

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 11, 2017, 07:06:56 pm by Mac the hooped man »
Made the 2nd, is getting loads of chances and works hard. Of course there is adaptions needed.
I don't think so, the pass from copps shud have been a simple strike at the end of the first half. In a previous game, he had an empty net, by the time he shot they had blocked his path, fergie actually mentioned this in his post game interview. 
This is all constructive criticism, I actually think he had a good game, but there will come a time where we need him to bury a shot. 

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 11, 2017, 07:32:19 pm by Bessie Red »
I don't think so, the pass from copps shud have been a simple strike at the end of the first half. In a previous game, he had an empty net, by the time he shot they had blocked his path, fergie actually mentioned this in his post game interview. 
This is all constructive criticism, I actually think he had a good game, but there will come a time where we need him to bury a shot. 

Copps should have gone on himself rather than pass to May. The way Marquis & May dragged the defenders away left Copps one on one with the keeper.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 11, 2017, 08:23:20 pm by drfchound »
Isn't it easy from the stands.
Someone near me said that Copps should have gone for the other corner with the one just before half time.
He had a split second to adjust after Mays shot had been blocked, got the shot on target and a defender made a fantastic goal line clearance.
Still, the fans can always do better.

Back on topic, I also thought Mason was especially good today.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 11, 2017, 08:41:08 pm by i_ateallthepies »
What do you expect from May?  he spent most of the game trying to compete with a 6'6" for balls pump up to him in the air.  The few occasions he was fed ball to feet he created problems.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 11, 2017, 08:51:54 pm by Cramby10 »
The title of this post is about May and Blair. But hardly anyone has chosen to talk about Blair.
Surely this lad has to be one of our best signings for a good long while? The lad gives everything, with no lack of talent. Plays with a smile on his face and seems a real fans favourite. Thoroughly deserved MOM today.
Whenever, he gets the ball in the oppo half he makes something happen. Most of our attacking threat comes mainly from him down the right. We should try get the ball to him more often!! I don't think I have seen him have a bad game. He's a minimum 7/10 player each and every week. Long may it continue.
Great to see him high fiving a group of screaming students at the end who seemed to be his own personal fan club all match too.
I think this lad could write himself into rovers history

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 11, 2017, 08:57:00 pm by drfchound »
Have to agree with that post of yours Cramby.
I said at the game today that when he takes defenders on in that right wing position you really expect something to happen.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 11, 2017, 09:00:42 pm by RedJ »
Genuinely thought Blair would be a bit part player and was very underwhelmed when I heard we'd signed him.

Christ, was I wrong. I love him.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 11, 2017, 09:01:06 pm by IDM »
Just seen the goals on sky..

May's work to set up the second was as good as you would have expected from Copps or Rowe etc..

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 11, 2017, 09:05:18 pm by roversdude »
Apologies for going slightly off topic
Blair looks excellent going forward still think he lacks a bit of confidence sometimes but always gives 100%

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 11, 2017, 09:06:29 pm by drfchound »
He is seriously quick too.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 11, 2017, 09:24:33 pm by roversontheup »
I saw him play quite a few times when he was at York. Bit like he is for us now.....a really exciting and hard working guy who plays with a smile on his face. He was a real fans favourite at York too.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 11, 2017, 09:35:03 pm by Al4475 »
I thought Mason was class today, the best player on the pitch - but Alfie wasn't far behind - his first touch is quality, true he needs to adapt what he does after his first touch but you know what I'll give him time, he looks a real prospect!

Also thought Blair was very effective today too!

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 11, 2017, 09:35:27 pm by dknward2 »
At one point in the second half Blair breezed past their left back as if he wasn't even there.

He had that good in the first half it forced them to make a sub but didn't make a really much difference as Blair did the same to him

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 11, 2017, 09:40:41 pm by POD »
Blair definitely deserved MOTM today.  It's great to see a winger in full flow, but disappointed that he was withdrawn to a more right back role in the second half when we should have been chasing the second goal to close out the game.  The big disappointment today was our left hand side.  We had right footed Alcock who never once got forward and Tommy Rowe who drifted inside too much giving us no outlet on the left. 

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 11, 2017, 10:40:43 pm by The Red Baron »
I'm no manager but I'd put Copps on the right of the diamond, Grant on the left and Rowe on point. Better balance for me.

That said I thought Grant had his best game since coming back. Copps was off it today.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 11, 2017, 10:49:03 pm by Cramby10 »
Totally agree with first paragraph. Totally disagree with second.
There seemed to be a lot of square pegs in round holes today. Despite the win. Alcock at left back. Grant on left etc.
 Rowe is much better behind the strikers though rather than on left.
Thought grant was mostly awful though TBH. Simply no idea why he has the dead balls. No probs with copps though. Standard game for him.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012