Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:21:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: When article 50 is triggered this week  (Read 9734 times)

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
Re: When article 50 is triggered this week
« Reply #30 on March 29, 2017, 12:51:18 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exporting-to-china#industries-importing-into-china

Fair enough, we will be much better without EU. China cant get enough of British electrical machinery...British cars....

Why will we be better without the EU? Leaving the EU doesn't change anything regarding exporting to China.

Sarcasm doesn't come across well on text.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on March 29, 2017, 01:55:39 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exporting-to-china#industries-importing-into-china

I wasn't being sarcastic.

Fair enough, we will be much better without EU. China cant get enough of British electrical machinery...British cars....

Why will we be better without the EU? Leaving the EU doesn't change anything regarding exporting to China.

Sarcasm doesn't come across well on text.

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on March 29, 2017, 01:58:48 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
No, but One_Matty_Lucas was

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 29, 2017, 04:47:40 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
Thanks Dr F.

Glyn,

Personally can't see it working for us, but then again I have lived in Switzerland for 5 years and moving to France next month so I probably have a biased view on the whole thing. But its a lose-lose situation for me, either things work well and Leavers get power to push even further nationalist policies or things don't work well and the country is down the shitter.

Need to trigger my "Article 50" and get married to the missus so I can get the French passport ;)

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on March 30, 2017, 02:29:21 pm by Lipsy »
And there we go. Lloyd's of London breaks with 329-year-old tradition by setting up shop on the continent. Not a big thing, really. It's just drip, drip, drip... A few jobs here, a few jobs there... London, economy, that sort of thing.

http://www.cityam.com/262005/lloyds-london-chooses-brussels-its-eu-base-saying-met

Funny how the world's biggest website treats the story somewhat differently. A really hard story to find on its website, and, weirdly enough, treated somewhat dourly - and they're not letting anyone comment on it. Weird, eh? It's almost as though they're trying to shut down discussion on anything bad about Brexit...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-4363630/Lloyds-London-chooses-Brussels-EU-base-strong-regulation.html

Oh, and news just in...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/30/jp-morgan-dublin-office-building-1000-jobs-city-london

Drip, drip, drip...

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #35 on March 30, 2017, 04:02:19 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
And for each 1,000 jobs like this another 3,000 jobs will also disappear.
But hey, they're not proper jobs are they?
And theres lots of new jobs to be had in warehouses and picking strawberries when the Eastern Europeans take the hint.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on March 30, 2017, 05:06:35 pm by Dagenham Rover »
All Lloyds are actually doing is opening a satellite office and in their words the number of employees will be in the "tens"  oh and that article doesn't mention anything about any job loss's in London because of it

Lloyd’s chief executive Inga Beale said the number of employees in Brussels would be "in the tens", and said while EU business accounts for 11 per cent of all the business Lloyd's writes, around half of that will still be carried out from the UK.

and tbf I can't be bothered to look at the other links  too much misinformation from everywhere  ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 05:33:46 pm by Dagenham Rover »

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on March 30, 2017, 05:34:22 pm by Lipsy »
Where did I say it was a big thing? Oh yes, I said it wasn't in my third sentence... I suppose, though, that the story about thinking about JP Morgan shifting 1000 jobs to Dublin isn't big, either?

24 hours after Article 50, with banks and financial services scaling back some of their proposed developments in the UK and/or saying they are going to open up operations elsewhere. Whether you like bankers or not (I'm not a fan), a few snips here and there make a big difference to the coffers the government has to play with (apparently it's around £82.3bn a year). And there are the associated jobs, too.

Think about it.

And don't just take my word for it (and why would you?) - how about this from 10 days ago: http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/03/20/the-biggest-threat-to-the-city-of-london-is-now-uncertainty/

A modest 0.5 drop in GDP because of London would gobble up our current contribution to the EU, I believe... But hey, it's all looking rosy.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on March 30, 2017, 05:57:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
All Lloyds are actually doing is opening a satellite office and in their words the number of employees will be in the "tens"  oh and that article doesn't mention anything about any job loss's in London because of it

Lloyd’s chief executive Inga Beale said the number of employees in Brussels would be "in the tens", and said while EU business accounts for 11 per cent of all the business Lloyd's writes, around half of that will still be carried out from the UK.

and tbf I can't be bothered to look at the other links  too much misinformation from everywhere  ;)

No job losses in London? Do you really think they'd be opening up their EU branches elsewhere than London if we weren't leaving?

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on March 30, 2017, 06:15:16 pm by Dagenham Rover »

No job losses in London? Do you really think they'd be opening up their EU branches elsewhere than London if we weren't leaving?

Nowhere in that article mentions job losses in London with regards to Lloyds thats all I said :) so  you presume that because they are opening an office in Brussels with the number of workers in the "tens" there will be job loss's in London, it doesn't say that!    there may be there may not be  ............................  Don't presume  ;)

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on March 30, 2017, 06:58:30 pm by Lipsy »
Here you go, a direct quote from a website news report (from Sky News earlier today - saves you clicking on something):

"Lloyd's of London is to shift around 100 jobs to the heart of the EU to limit potential damage to the world's biggest insurance market from Brexit."

The number of jobs will depend upon the type of Brexit we get and the deal we make with the EU. Whatever the figure is, jobs are going from London. And it's just the beginning.  ;)

Though we can, on balance, rejoice that Apple and McDonalds are coming to London. Apparently, they couldn't resist a property bargain and didn't much fancy the EU prying into their *cough* interesting tax affairs.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on March 30, 2017, 07:03:24 pm by Dagenham Rover »
  There you go presuming again   ;)

" The number of jobs will depend upon the type of Brexit we get"

Your opinion

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on March 30, 2017, 07:20:11 pm by Lipsy »
No, it isn't; I was sparing you the trouble of clicking links. ;)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on March 30, 2017, 07:39:12 pm by Dagenham Rover »
No, it isn't; I was sparing you the trouble of clicking links. ;)

So the paragraph under the bold bit in quotation marks is part of the quote  and not just your opinion which is how it reads as it doesn't appear to be part of the quote.

So presumably the last paragraph is part of the article and not just your opinion about the EU prying into interesting tax affairs  ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:43:40 pm by Dagenham Rover »

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 04, 2017, 04:43:16 pm by Syme »

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on April 06, 2017, 12:42:03 pm by bobjimwilly »
To quote a Barnsley man, "we need Brexit to keep them Syrian refugees out!"

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on April 06, 2017, 11:42:54 pm by Lipsy »
Don't get sick... It's going to be fine, though a leaked Government report appears to suggest otherwise.*

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-04-06/uk-braced-for-shortage-of-up-to-42-000-nurses-after-brexit/

*There's only 24,000 unfilled NHS vacancies at the moment, mind.  ;)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on April 07, 2017, 12:37:31 am by Bentley Bullet »
Lipsy, you seem to have real issues with people who aren't as depressed with the future of our country as you are. Is it that important to you to spread your misery?

What is your reason for forcing your depression on others?

What can us mere ordinary people do, who can't, unlike you, predict the future to stop getting so f**king downhearted?

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on April 07, 2017, 12:54:00 am by Lipsy »
BB - I just shared a link, fella. Nothing more... A link to some news. By all means, give us some good news...

My mental state is fine - thanks for your concern. Bless you.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on April 07, 2017, 03:17:39 am by hoolahoop »
Lipsy, you seem to have real issues with people who aren't as depressed with the future of our country as you are. Is it that important to you to spread your misery?

What can us mere ordinary people do, who can't, unlike you, predict the future to stop getting so f**king downhearted?

BB if you don't like reading about the consequences of the foolishness of our people in June  2016, then I would stay away from this section.

The " original " Project Fear is going to look like a walk in the park compared to what is going to happen to post Brexit UK going forwards......yes there will be many Remoaners who will be pointing it out to you dashing Brexiteers .

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 07, 2017, 07:08:39 am by Syme »
It's awful when you're forced to read something

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 07, 2017, 07:59:46 am by not on facebook »
For the older chaps on here but what was your fealings when the U.K. signed up to join the European nations back in 1974 I think it was .

I was far too young to understand ,but I seem to recall a lot of fuss been made on local news programmes about the fishing trade.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on April 07, 2017, 09:38:20 am by idler »
I voted in that time.
I voted to be part of a group of trading nations not a federal Europe as it seems to be heading now.

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on April 07, 2017, 12:17:00 pm by Yargo »

BB if you don't like reading about the consequences of the foolishness of our people in June  2016, then I would stay away from this section.

The " original " Project Fear is going to look like a walk in the park compared to what is going to happen to post Brexit UK going forwards......yes there will be many Remoaners who will be pointing it out to you dashing Brexiteers .
Perhaps a smart shyte can explain every eventuality of what would've been happening right now had Cameron/Osborne/Tories been given their second biggest electoral victory in 12 months?Then tell every dot and comma what the EU would now be demanding of Britain had we voted in favour of deeper integration.When you've done that....Some Wigley dots
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 12:58:29 pm by Yargo »

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on April 07, 2017, 01:14:46 pm by Lipsy »
Not quite sure I fully follow you, but here goes: 1. If we didn't like what Cameron/Osborne/the Tories were doing in this alternate world scenario, we could vote to get rid of them in the next General Election. 2. How anyone could think this alternate world scenario could be worse than what we're seeing at the moment is beyond me. 3. Deeper integration with the EU... Not sure anyone has suggested we'd be pulled further into the EU had we voted to remain. Would that have been a 'Hard' Remain where we put multiple languages on road signs, join the Schengen, adopt the Euro and be made to stand up when anyone played Ode to Joy?

.,~.,~.,~.,~.,~.,~.,~.,~.,~.,~.,~.,~.,~.,~.,~.,~.,~

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on April 07, 2017, 01:51:18 pm by Lipsy »
I voted in that time.
I voted to be part of a group of trading nations not a federal Europe as it seems to be heading now.

I actually have some sympathy for this point of view. Though I have watched the interviews with Ted Heath from the early 70s, which seem to suggest he was pretty clear where Europe was heading and was prepared to commit to that. Similarly, Churchill knew where it was going back in the late 40s and early 50s when he played his part in setting it up and was still up for it enough when he backed our failed attempt at joining in the 60s.

How joining and remaining was sold to the people of the UK back in the in the 60s and 70s is another matter entirely, but key figures in its formation and taking us in seemed pretty clear.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on April 07, 2017, 03:00:28 pm by idler »
One thing is for sure the civilised debating by politicians and reporters of both sides was far better than all of the mud slinging that we saw last year.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on April 07, 2017, 03:06:20 pm by Lipsy »
I agree with you. I have watched some of those speeches/debates from 1975 - let's have more of this type of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2jUYryRYII

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on April 07, 2017, 03:07:36 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Perhaps a smart shyte can explain every eventuality of what would've been happening right now had Cameron/Osborne/Tories been given their second biggest electoral victory in 12 months?Then tell every dot and comma what the EU would now be demanding of Britain had we voted in favour of deeper integration.When you've done that....Some Wigley dots

It wouldn't have mattered what the EU demanded, if we didn't like it we'd still have had a veto then just as we have one now...they're called ellipsis btw.

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on April 07, 2017, 04:06:45 pm by Yargo »

we'd still have had a veto then just as we have one now
Oh and Euro fanatics in Downing St,Strasbourg and everywhere rampant,veto what? Like joining the ERM in 1990?Did any Euro fanatics veto that,suppose you were in favour at the time?Mind you, you seem to have as much faith in Cameron as the late BST( Billy's Sanctimonius Twaddle)R.I.P,did 12 months ago

TinyPortal © 2005-2012