Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 11:15:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis for sale?  (Read 11226 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Marquis for sale?
« Reply #30 on April 06, 2017, 06:31:18 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Who the f**k in their right mind would pay 750 for a player who has had plenty of goes in L1 and never really had any success? Why didn't they sign him 9 months ago for free? If I was a manager I wouldn't embarrass myself by throwing money around like that. I'd sell him for that money.

1m plus add ons for me.  Amazing that what 7 months ago people said he'd never be our main goalscorer, now there's this talk.

The guy isn't league one proven yet so it would seem strange. Plus he's settled for the first time why take the risk?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on April 06, 2017, 06:52:07 pm by ravenrover »
DF says it would take a lot pf money, I think he knows from past exerience how to value a striker but he's not for sale

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 06, 2017, 07:46:13 pm by Capmeister »
I remember Matt Mills telling me he was staying when I saw him pre-seaon at Armthorpe welfare. I'm sure he was but when an offer come in and it feels right you can change your mind. John Marquis will be exactly the same. Wouldn't blame him. It's the nature of football. Would like to think he'll give it go with us though

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on April 06, 2017, 07:50:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
He ain't going anywhere for sometime yet. Relax, let's get the job done and see where we're headed next season.

Should be more talk of incomings rather than out. I can see the sense in trying to get Madden from Scunny. Perhaps a more consistent striker to play alongside Marquis.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 06, 2017, 07:51:13 pm by Sprotyrover »
DF develops strikers and sells them on for millions Marquis won't be going anywhere for less than £2 million😎

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on April 06, 2017, 08:09:38 pm by selby »
£6million minimum, it has a nice ring to it.
  You know  you want him, we know you have the money,if you want the best you will have to cough up.

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 06, 2017, 08:12:06 pm by Syme »
There's a lot of chest beating going on here, but as Gazlaz says, if he wants to leave he'll be off. And for a fourth tier player with one good season under his belt, 750k isn't far off.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 06, 2017, 08:48:33 pm by GazLaz »
There's a lot of chest beating going on here, but as Gazlaz says, if he wants to leave he'll be off. And for a fourth tier player with one good season under his belt, 750k isn't far off.

If he says he wants to go the club have to sell contract or no contract. The won't just let him leave for free next year. Do people not know how football works??? Under contract, don't make me laugh. They mean nothing.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 06, 2017, 09:41:11 pm by drfchound »
Madden is apparently a likely aquisition in the summer.
Footballers come and go but the club remain
DF says it out take a lot of money to prise JM away, not that he isn't available even if a big offer came in for him.
Read between the lines, it might just happen although I hope not.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 06, 2017, 10:19:43 pm by GazLaz »
DF says it out take a lot of money to prise JM away, not that he isn't available even if a big offer came in for him.

Who would be favourite to score more goals playing for us next season, Madden or Marquis?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 06, 2017, 10:23:02 pm by drfchound »

Who would be favourite to score more goals playing for us next season, Madden or Marquis?

That is a good question Gaz.
JM has had a great season for us but it is his first ever prolific one.
Madden is proven over a few years now.
It is a hard one to call.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 06, 2017, 10:24:08 pm by Alan Southstand »
Look, I'll say it one more time - if Exeter's young prospect, Watkins, is worth over £2m, then where does that place John's valuation?

To me, there isn't a like for like replacement out there, so it would be absolutely ridiculous for the Club to be taken in by all this talk. As that is what it is. Furthermore, it's extremely disruptive to our end of season run-in. It does smell of agents ramping up the interest in order to put the squeeze on us, prior to him being offered a deal.

It would be suicidal of the Club to put a dampener on things at this stage and it would risk further sales of tickets, etc. A quick rebuff and a positive outcome with a new contract for, arguably, our best player, is what is needed. We simply can't just ignore all this nonsense.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 06, 2017, 10:31:07 pm by GazLaz »
They will start contract negotiations when we are mathematically promoted. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 06, 2017, 11:53:57 pm by Jonathan »
Good player as he is, I'm not sure Madden is a Ferguson type signing. He's potentially expensive and I'm not sure the future resale value would exceed the outlay given his age.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on April 07, 2017, 12:38:32 am by BobG »
We don't know Watkins is worth £2M do we Alan? Has he been sold? Or is it paper talk?

BobG

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 07, 2017, 02:47:06 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Everybody has a price it's whether the club interested are prepared to meet it. I think this is just rumours kicked up to to try and make John's concentration wander. Any striker who scores twenty odd goals will have clubs interested in him if he is young enough. With this manager the days are gone where players go for nothing. If he has only a year left on his deal of course the vultures will be circling he should have had his deal extended sometime ago.
 If a bid came in of that size the club would snap their hands off, three quarters of a million for a free signing with a year left that would be a decent deal. If it's true and not a rumour then it all depends on John whether he intends to extend his deal or not. Whether he likes us or not if a championship club comes in for him he will be gone it's his career he would be stupid not to. Yes we have potential as a club but like it or not we don't have the money to go buying players for the fees Barnsley have done. I see it as just a bit of head turning gossip to try and distract our main goal threat.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on April 07, 2017, 05:15:27 am by Alan Southstand »
Bob, it's been widely reportedly throughout the season re Watkins. All I am saying is 750k would be grossly underselling our most lethal striker and very popular player. We have had a thread just a few days ago asking how we can get more home support - what do you think would happen to all those efforts if we do indeed sell him on? Answers on a postage stamp.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on April 07, 2017, 06:52:45 am by Sprotyrover »
Some folks missed the point that he will be a level three player in approx 1/2 weeks hence I'm upping to £3 million.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on April 07, 2017, 08:20:43 am by GazLaz »
Bob, it's been widely reportedly throughout the season re Watkins. All I am saying is 750k would be grossly underselling our most lethal striker and very popular player. We have had a thread just a few days ago asking how we can get more home support - what do you think would happen to all those efforts if we do indeed sell him on? Answers on a postage stamp.

Watkins is younger and has no history of failing at a higher level like JM has.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 07, 2017, 08:54:26 am by DonnyOsmond »
Some folks missed the point that he will be a level three player in approx 1/2 weeks hence I'm upping to £3 million.

But he's not proven at that level yet.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 07, 2017, 09:07:07 am by Alan Southstand »
Proven?

He scores goals and is a workaholic - he doesn't need to prove anything. And - he's ours and hopefully it stays that way for some time.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 07, 2017, 09:15:18 am by Metalmicky »

But he's not proven at that level yet.

I wouldn't say that the difference between League 2 and League 1 was that vast. I think that what JM was missing was regular starts in a team where he had the time to gel.

Having said that football is a money game nowadays and if enough money comes forward the club will find it hard to say no..... The good thing is that DF has a record of getting top dollar for players he has taken on and developed... let's hope if JM is to leave, DF gets a top end price.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on April 07, 2017, 09:40:26 am by GazLaz »
I think there's a big difference between L1 and L2. L2 has been awful this season I think. Not been impressed with the standard at all. Obvious we were far too good for this level after about 5 games.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on April 07, 2017, 12:09:55 pm by Alan Southstand »
It might have been poor, Gazlaz, but you still have to put the chances away and JM has done that consistently. He came from a Club at a higher level than ours and it wasn't working out for him, which happens. The thing is he has found the right Club with the right manager and a good set of players around him. Why would he want to jeopardise that by going somewhere where his career could a) stall, b) go backwards or c) by some sort of miracle it clicks and he gets better. To me, he  can only guarantee c) if he goes to a Club with a better manager then ours and, out of the Clubs rumoured to Ben sniffing, there just isn't one.

Best option is to get a good deal where he is and progress up the league with us and, who knows, in 2 years he could be a star in the CCC. Then you can talk real numbers!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on April 07, 2017, 12:29:26 pm by IDM »
I really don't get the "league 2 has been awful" argument. 

No it hasn't.  It is the 4th level of professional football so by definition won't be as good as the 3rd level etc.  Fair enough some games may not have been great, but overall it is no different to any other season.

We have players in our squad that could and should cut it at the 3rd level, so our opposition may look not so good.  However we have had some tough and close games this season and there is a lot more decent football played than the 4th division cloggers of the past.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on April 07, 2017, 12:38:18 pm by Jonathan »
Marquis' past perceived "failures" are totally and utterly irrelevant at this time. Harry Kane had a number of inauspicious loan spells prior to it clicking for him and I doubt his value is affected by them.

Marquis has found form here and looks like going from strength to strength in a settled set up. He'd be daft to leave right now and we'd be daft to sell him.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on April 07, 2017, 12:41:05 pm by GazLaz »
Marquis' past perceived "failures" are totally and utterly irrelevant at this time. Harry Kane had a number of inauspicious loan spells prior to it clicking for him and I doubt his value is affected by them.

Marquis has found form here and looks like going from strength to strength in a settled set up. He'd be daft to leave right now and we'd be daft to sell him.

Kane was in his teens when he was being loaned out.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on April 07, 2017, 01:06:52 pm by Jonathan »

Kane was in his teens when he was being loaned out.

And Marquis was in his early 20's, learning the game. His previous loan spells didn't serve to prevent him banging in 26 (and counting) for us this season. He's grown in confidence and value and his best years should still be ahead of him.

ballysbackin

« Reply #58 on April 07, 2017, 01:10:45 pm by ballysbackin »
So which other Top Notch League one scorer are we going to sign to sit aside JM and bang in the goals next term

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on April 07, 2017, 01:23:22 pm by Rovers91 »
So which other Top Notch League one scorer are we going to sign to sit aside JM and bang in the goals next term

Alfie May.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012