Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 11:20:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Notts County Ladies Fold  (Read 3833 times)

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
Notts County Ladies Fold
« on April 21, 2017, 01:39:51 pm by Tiddysdad »
Notts County Ladies have folded only 2 days before the season starts.

Should the Bells take their place?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39667392
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:44:18 pm by Tiddysdad »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
Re: Notts County Ladies Fold
« Reply #1 on April 21, 2017, 01:46:51 pm by Herman Hessian »
oh - i presumed this was going to be something about freshly ironed sheets, not monkey tennis....

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 21, 2017, 01:55:38 pm by chrisd_123 »
oh - i presumed this was going to be something about freshly ironed sheets, not monkey tennis....

Seriously? Players and staff now not knowing where they stand with their own lives to fund and all you can come up with is a cliche sexist comment?

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 21, 2017, 02:00:54 pm by DonnyNoel »
Wasn't there some controversy about them to start with - did they take over/replace Lincoln City Ladies or something like that?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 21, 2017, 02:01:35 pm by GazLaz »

Seriously? Players and staff now not knowing where they stand with their own lives to fund and all you can come up with is a cliche sexist comment?

Get a sense of humour you melt.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 21, 2017, 02:03:18 pm by chrisd_123 »

Or realise it's 2017...

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 21, 2017, 02:04:24 pm by chrisd_123 »
Wasn't there some controversy about them to start with - did they take over/replace Lincoln City Ladies or something like that?

Yeah. Their model was similar to that of MK Dons/Wimbledon. The Trew family were at Lincoln I believe before they went to Notts and they took the ladies team with them.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 21, 2017, 02:06:20 pm by wing commander »
  I'm glad I don't live in your laugh a minute world Chrisd I'd be on the Prozac...

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 21, 2017, 02:11:20 pm by chrisd_123 »
  I'm glad I don't live in your laugh a minute world Chrisd I'd be on the Prozac...

Each to their own.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 21, 2017, 02:15:57 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
Got to love this forum sometimes...

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 21, 2017, 02:36:05 pm by silent majority »
This franchise model in the women's game doesn't seem to work very well. Using highly subsidised clubs like Man City, Arsenal etc to drag the rest of the teams along with them can't work financially. The Belles stepping in to make up the numbers might not be a good move for them.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 21, 2017, 02:36:48 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
This franchise model in the women's game doesn't seem to work very well. Using highly subsidised clubs like Man City, Arsenal etc to drag the rest of the teams along with them can't work financially. The Belles stepping in to make up the numbers might not be a good move for them.

Tend to agree they can't be ready and sadly competing will be hard with the money in that league now.  Such a shame.

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 21, 2017, 02:39:25 pm by Tiddysdad »
What would happen if - lets just say Everton folded 3 days before 2017/18 season started - would the highest placed team relegated replace them or would it be the loosing playoff finalist?

Thats what I'm asking. Should the Belles be reinstated to make the numbers up.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 21, 2017, 02:40:13 pm by Herman Hessian »

yup - seriously - and don't forget "ingrained and unblinking misogyny" - that's always a good one to throw in to the mix...

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 21, 2017, 02:45:46 pm by chrisd_123 »
What would happen if - lets just say Everton folded 3 days before 2017/18 season started - would the highest placed team relegated replace them or would it be the loosing playoff finalist?

Thats what I'm asking. Should the Belles be reinstated to make the numbers up.

Well there's no relegation from WSL 2 so my guess would be that, if it was that late, they would leave it a team down. If it was in advance, the play-off losers would probably come up too.

CGJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 21, 2017, 02:47:13 pm by CGJ »
Didn't Colin Walker leave the Academy to go there when they were set up?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 21, 2017, 02:49:22 pm by not on facebook »
Iam with Herman on this one as I found his remark really funny.

You can't have a laugh these   days at whatever  ISM without upsetting the PC storm troppers ,who seem to be a right set of misserable clowns

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 21, 2017, 02:51:00 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »

You can't have a laugh these   days at whatever  ISM without upsetting the PC storm troppers ,who seem to be a right set of misserable clowns

Rather be a miserable clown than a hooligan mate.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 21, 2017, 03:24:20 pm by drfchound »
When i saw the heading "ladies fold" i wondered what i would be seeing when i opened the thread to read.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 21, 2017, 03:33:25 pm by Herman Hessian »
back on topic:

A winding up order had been issued against the ladies’ club, which was adjourned in March. They had been given until July 3 to pay money owed to HMRC. Two Premier League sides had shown an interest in taking over the business as a going concern, but the FA would not sanction a transfer of licence.

what a surprise to see that there was a (presumably viable) alternative to the club closing down, but the FA stepped in - bravely - and summarily crapped on that option, on the basis that it was too much like hard work or something equally taxing for them; it's an absolute, unrestricted and ongoing joy to support a game run by such an august, generous, self-effacing, fine, upstanding and generally wonderful body as the Football Association - don't ya jus' love 'em, eh ?

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 21, 2017, 04:39:40 pm by chrisd_123 »
back on topic:

A winding up order had been issued against the ladies’ club, which was adjourned in March. They had been given until July 3 to pay money owed to HMRC. Two Premier League sides had shown an interest in taking over the business as a going concern, but the FA would not sanction a transfer of licence.

what a surprise to see that there was a (presumably viable) alternative to the club closing down, but the FA stepped in - bravely - and summarily crapped on that option, on the basis that it was too much like hard work or something equally taxing for them; it's an absolute, unrestricted and ongoing joy to support a game run by such an august, generous, self-effacing, fine, upstanding and generally wonderful body as the Football Association - don't ya jus' love 'em, eh ?

Without going into too much detail the FA could and should have prevented this when the FA WSL was created. So much potential mismanaged. Notts did overspend but only because they clearly felt the need to because the 'big 3' are allowed free reign.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 21, 2017, 04:45:15 pm by Filo »
I know The Belles we thrown out of WSL to accomodate Man City, but did n't Notts County come into the equation somewhere in that farce

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 21, 2017, 04:49:37 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
I know The Belles we thrown out of WSL to accomodate Man City, but did n't Notts County come into the equation somewhere in that farce

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/belles-plot-legal-route-as-appeal-fails-1-5811627

Quote from: The Star Article

After accepting applications for WSL1, the FA decided to keep all the clubs currently playing in the Women’s Super League with two exceptions: Lincoln Ladies would be ‘re-franchised’ as Notts County while the Belles would be replaced with Manchester City.

Mac the hooped man

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 21, 2017, 06:03:13 pm by Mac the hooped man »

I'm more intrigued that no one has battered an eyelid at the terminology of Melt?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 21, 2017, 06:56:57 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I thnk it's a good move not to have refranchised Notts to whoever fancied a punt at having a "Ladies" team. Franchising in football is an increasing threat to the traditional locality based "club" system, it stinks.

Big money sponsoring of clubs happens and as long as it doesn't get out of hand in a boom and bust way I think it's fine. Smaller clubs, like Notts and the Belles, trying to unsustainably keep up with the bigger spenders is always going to be a problem just as it is in the men's game.

Meanwhile it will likely to be only one side relegated from WSL1 after this season, and a spare slot in WSL2, probably for Tottenham.

<added> Having looked at how promotion/relegation works, it seems that it would be Blackburn and Tottenham to be promoted to WSL2 if they meet the FA criteria of having loadsa money.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:11:21 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

arkseyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 21, 2017, 07:10:10 pm by arkseyrover »
just can't get worked up over the womens game. Leaves me completely cold. Sorry but its not for me.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 21, 2017, 07:11:19 pm by silent majority »

Not strictly true Filo, far too simplistic. It is fair to say that the Belles were relegated and were replaced by Man City but not thrown out.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 21, 2017, 08:15:32 pm by German Rover »
It's another example of the men's team being shite and the ladies club being closed down because of this. Happened with Charlton before and this is another example.

In my opinion the club should never have left Lincoln. They were doing great work within the community and had a thriving youth system which got girls playing the game. This was given away to notts county and now has gone all together.

Yet another example of the football authorities not knowing their arse from their elbow.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 21, 2017, 09:09:19 pm by not on facebook »

Rather be a miserable clown than a hooligan mate.

Idiot  > in which breath will it say your a hooligan if you find things funny that others can't .

You all seem 4get that Britain was helped during our bad times due to our strength of been able to
laugh at ourselves  and others .

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 21, 2017, 09:39:25 pm by BobG »
Fulham, Charlton Athletic and Croydon - three other damn good teams to win the Cup within the last 15 years that have disappeared too.

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012