Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 12:33:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis rejects offer  (Read 27486 times)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Re: Marquis rejects offer
« Reply #30 on July 06, 2017, 08:57:40 am by MrFrost »
You have to wonder why the budget isn't much more than last season.
The club can't very well come out and say the aim is to get back in the Championship with a League Two budget.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 06, 2017, 08:57:54 am by drfchound »
Last season's budget apparently wasn't much lower than the season before don't forget and that was a top 10 League One budget. That'll be what we're working with again.

Surely Marquis won't be selfish and want money that'll mean we can't strengthen the right areas. Hopefully he'd realise we won't do as well because of his greed.

I can sense that the fans will be getting ready to sing the "one greedy bas**rd" song to JM.

TBH, Mush mentioned letting him go if we could get Paddy madden in.
That would be a decent swap of personnel IMO.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 06, 2017, 09:01:00 am by Alan Southstand »
At last - clarity! So now we know things in our garden are not that rosy after all. This, without a doubt, needs sorting before we kick off the new season. We don't want to be looking for a striker that we can't afford just before the season kicks off. We couldn't find or afford the right replacement for Williams so how the hell are we going to get a replacement for John, should he decide to go.

DBR recently reckoned that we have a bunch of Directors who will back the Manager if we find the right player, well, DBR, let's see if they'll back him now, 'cos we have already got the right player and it looks like we can't afford to keep him!

At least the silence has been broken.

I ought to add, imho, keeping JM will be the difference in us staying in league 1 next season. So the budget setters need to have a good long think about the consequences of someone else having the pleasure of him grabbing goals for them. Any increase would be paid back, and more, if John has another good season in this league
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:05:50 am by Alan Southstand »

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 06, 2017, 09:05:24 am by MrFrost »
I wouldn't be happy if we lose him to another club in our league. Championship, fair enough, but we have to show we are able to compete.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on July 06, 2017, 09:07:21 am by graingrover »
So now we know let's see if WE can handle the situation without going into destruct mode on here against either JM or the club .

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 06, 2017, 09:09:07 am by Alan Southstand »

No he wouldn't as he is not a like for like replacement - we would still need a target or hold-up type player. And I don't think PM is a worker.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on July 06, 2017, 09:13:11 am by selby »
I wonder if now he is married,the image of Doncaster comes into it?The thing is if he had signed another contract,and he did carry on scoring he would have gone anyway,although at a better price,but just as disruptive to the team and even more upsetting to the fans.
    If a team do come in for him now we should not let him go cheaply,I do not object to players improving their status in the game and going to a bigger club,but we must get as much as we can for him.
    We have been the silly buggers too many times in the past,especially to some of our local rivals,although in this case as stated before location would not surprise me in this case.
    At least the club have some time on their side in this case in fairness to the player, he is looking after himself and the club in that respect.It is now all down to money,and in the past we have not been very good at getting a  good deal for ourselves,I hope we do this time.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 06, 2017, 09:14:43 am by Filo »
By announcing this the club have effectively lowered the asking price and made it known he's availible. It would have been better to say nothing all along. The club, and some fans (demanding answers) appear to have shot themselves in the foot on this one

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 06, 2017, 09:15:50 am by SydneyRover »
I think this shows what a shrewd buy Marquis was, he has put in and helped us get back into L1 and of course helped himself. We have another season of his services at least or money to buy if an acceptable offer comes in. What an exiting season to look forward to.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 06, 2017, 09:16:36 am by drfchound »

No he wouldn't as he is not a like for like replacement - we would still need a target or hold-up type player. And I don't think PM is a worker.

Goals win games don't they and Madden is a proven scorer over a number of seasons.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 06, 2017, 09:17:27 am by DonnyNoel »
By announcing this the club have effectively lowered the asking price and made it known he's availible. It would have been better to say nothing all along. The club, and some fans (demanding answers) appear to have shot themselves in the foot on this one

In fairness, if he's got a half decent agent this knowledge is out there anyway.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 06, 2017, 09:18:16 am by wing commander »
  Well that certainly answers the question why Williams was taken off the transfer list after two days of pre-season training...

We offer what we can and he signs or he doesn't,if he doesn't, take what we can for him and send him on his way..

I for one don't believe a word footballers say anymore,all that crap about after years of not getting a chance how fantastic it was to be part of a team,playing every week for a manager who has faith in him and for a club that believes in him...Whats that actually worth to a player who has no connection with the club he plays for???,at a guess very little against the almighty buck...

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 06, 2017, 09:26:37 am by DonnyOsmond »
Williams was taken off because we couldn't sign anyone better for the money we'd get from selling him. Nothing to do with Marquis.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 06, 2017, 09:30:21 am by GazLaz »
Williams was taken off because we couldn't sign anyone better for the money we'd get from selling him. Nothing to do with Marquis.

Williams is staying because Williams doesn't want to leave.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 06, 2017, 09:40:14 am by drfchound »
  Well that certainly answers the question why Williams was taken off the transfer list after two days of pre-season training...

We offer what we can and he signs or he doesn't,if he doesn't, take what we can for him and send him on his way..

I for one don't believe a word footballers say anymore,all that crap about after years of not getting a chance how fantastic it was to be part of a team,playing every week for a manager who has faith in him and for a club that believes in him...Whats that actually worth to a player who has no connection with the club he plays for???,at a guess very little against the almighty buck...

I wonder whether AW will be more popular than JM now simply because he wants to stay ?

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 06, 2017, 09:43:37 am by Susan Abbott »
Evina !! Need I say any more!!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 06, 2017, 09:45:02 am by drfchound »
Evina !! Need I say any more!!

YES PLEASE

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 06, 2017, 09:54:04 am by wing commander »

I wonder whether AW will be more popular than JM now simply because he wants to stay ?

That's a good point Hound...For me he now gets first chance..Although after that interview with Fergie I don't expect Marquis to still be here at the start of the season anyway...It's well documented by both DF and fans who spoke to him that Williams wants to stay here but I still think the uncertainty aroud Marquis has as much to do with taking him off the list as anything else...

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on July 06, 2017, 09:56:32 am by rtid88 »
For me get rid. We gave this lad his chance and he took it, sell him on now while we can get a bit of money for him and move on.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 06, 2017, 10:01:35 am by Alan Southstand »
Move on to who? And for how much?

Some people haven't got their brains in gear yet this morning. It's going to cost us more for someone equal or better than John. Anything else is going backwards.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 06, 2017, 10:02:24 am by steve@dcfd »
Last season's budget apparently wasn't much lower than the season before don't forget and that was a top 10 League One budget. That'll be what we're working with again.

Surely Marquis won't be selfish and want money that'll mean we can't strengthen the right areas. Hopefully he'd realise we won't do as well because of his greed.

I can sense that the fans will be getting ready to sing the "one greedy bas**rd" song to JM.

TBH, Mush mentioned letting him go if we could get Paddy madden in.
So we don't offer John the wages he wants although he hasn't  asked to leave. Yet we have the money to pay a fransfer fee and wages for what people say a recognised league 1 striker in Paddy Madden. Doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:04:55 am by steve@dcfd »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on July 06, 2017, 10:05:22 am by Filo »
32 goals in a seven year period from 145 games before he joined us, 26 goals from 45 games last season. One Swallow does not make a summer, he could go and become a footballing nomad again, another one that seems to be poorly advised

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on July 06, 2017, 10:11:12 am by bobjimwilly »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 06, 2017, 10:13:04 am by steve@dcfd »
32 goals in a seven year period from 145 games before he joined us, 26 goals from 45 games last season. One Swallow does not make a summer, he could go and become a footballing nomad again, another one that seems to be poorly advised

That depends on how we have offered him DF said early summer he wait to sort Johns contract until he got other players in. So we are still waiting for centre half, on loan midfielders and couldn't afford Williams replacement. Yet we've offered John a good deal the CEO and club are trying to get him for the least they can. We are back in league 1 so it's same again haven't got the budget to cope above mid table.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 06, 2017, 10:14:29 am by DonnyNoel »
Move on to who? And for how much?

Some people haven't got their brains in gear yet this morning. It's going to cost us more for someone equal or better than John. Anything else is going backwards.

Thats not necessarily true at all. If we decided we had to go out and buy/sign someone who had either scored 20+ in L2 in the last two years or 15+ in L1 last season then yes it would. Let's not forget that Marquis was a freebie with no reputation who went on to score a bagful last season - who's to say there's not another one out there? Especially given DF's reputation at Peterborough for signing unknown strikers.

(Would obviously prefer us to sign Marquis on a longer deal of course than have to risk a replacement)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 06, 2017, 10:17:10 am by MrFrost »

That depends on how we have offered him DF said early summer he wait to sort Johns contract until he got other players in. So we are still waiting for centre half, on loan midfielders and couldn't afford Williams replacement. Yet we've offered John a good deal the CEO and club are trying to get him for the least they can. We are back in league 1 so it's same again haven't got the budget to cope above mid table.

If the budget is similar to last seasons, i'm guessing it will be in the bottom third of budgets in league one.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 06, 2017, 10:30:02 am by wing commander »
   And how do you work that out Mr Frost...Our budget last season was apparently not much different from the previous one in league 1..And that was reported to be a top ten budget...

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on July 06, 2017, 10:30:25 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
At last - clarity! So now we know things in our garden are not that rosy after all. This, without a doubt, needs sorting before we kick off the new season. We don't want to be looking for a striker that we can't afford just before the season kicks off. We couldn't find or afford the right replacement for Williams so how the hell are we going to get a replacement for John, should he decide to go.

DBR recently reckoned that we have a bunch of Directors who will back the Manager if we find the right player, well, DBR, let's see if they'll back him now, 'cos we have already got the right player and it looks like we can't afford to keep him!

At least the silence has been broken.

I ought to add, imho, keeping JM will be the difference in us staying in league 1 next season. So the budget setters need to have a good long think about the consequences of someone else having the pleasure of him grabbing goals for them. Any increase would be paid back, and more, if John has another good season in this league

Correct. I did say that. Acquiring players is one thing, negotiating contract extensions is another. You might have also seen me say we'd hope there's be some elasticity in the budget however, you can't go smashing your wage structure for one player. DF said as much in the article.

This is not the end of the situation by any means. Much will be down to Marquis and his agent now. Nothing new is it.

Frosty, all I would ask you is how much is the budget and how much you would overspend by?

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on July 06, 2017, 10:32:38 am by glosterred »
His chances of going from hero to zero are increasing

COYR

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 06, 2017, 10:33:07 am by MrFrost »
   And how do you work that out Mr Frost...Our budget last season was apparently not much different from the previous one in league 1..And that was reported to be a top ten budget...

And that is two year ago.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012