Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 12:40:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis rejects offer  (Read 27488 times)

jonnydog

• VSC Member
Re: Marquis rejects offer
« Reply #60 on July 06, 2017, 10:34:12 am by jonnydog »
It makes me laugh that in this day and footballing age, fans still believe that players have allegiance to a club. It's a job, in a business that will ditch them if they're shite, so it has to be dog eat dog.

These players have families, homes to pay for and let's be honest, if any of us were offered a better paid job for doing the same elsewhere then a majority would do it.

No loyalty in any job, or any business. Coppinger proved that t'other year when he wanted out, yet he's hailed as a legend to the club. Would he have still been thought that highly of if he'd moved up to/from Forest?

A touch of perspective needed by some I reckon!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on July 06, 2017, 10:35:18 am by bobjimwilly »
it's not the size of the budget, it's what you do with it...

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on July 06, 2017, 10:44:22 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
It makes me laugh that in this day and footballing age, fans still believe that players have allegiance to a club. It's a job, in a business that will ditch them if they're shite, so it has to be dog eat dog.

These players have families, homes to pay for and let's be honest, if any of us were offered a better paid job for doing the same elsewhere then a majority would do it.

No loyalty in any job, or any business. Coppinger proved that t'other year when he wanted out, yet he's hailed as a legend to the club. Would he have still been thought that highly of if he'd moved up to/from Forest?

A touch of perspective needed by some I reckon!

I wouldn't entirely disagree although Copps was pushed into that situation. We needed to shed wages at the time. It was a very unpleasant time when hard decisions had to be made.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on July 06, 2017, 10:54:57 am by steve@dcfd »
His chances of going from hero to zero are increasing

COYR

Why because he won't accept an offer if supporters think like that then put yourself in his situation.

There is another point a view that the club has put this out in the public to attract offers from other clubs.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on July 06, 2017, 10:57:24 am by wing commander »
   It's a fair set of points,we of course would dream of playing for Rovers and would probably pay them not the other way round..That said if I was lucky enough to be blessed with a pair of footballing legs rather than a couple of club feet, would I really want to sign for someone like Blackpool when my agent was telling me I should wait as theres interest from the Championship for more Wonga....

That said if I had just spent 5 or 6 years not getting games at my parent club and having to live out of a suitcase, being farmed around the lower leagues trying to get a game of football,not being able to settle anywhere both work and privately,then that would be a consideration too...

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on July 06, 2017, 11:05:13 am by SydneyRover »
Just because JM hasn't accepted the offer does not mean he doesn't want to play for us, it means he hasn't accepted the offer, that's it full stop. There may be another offer, maybe not but we have to have a bit of confidence in the management team to handle negotiations, the same team that brought JM here in the first place.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on July 06, 2017, 11:10:25 am by glosterred »
His chances of going from hero to zero are increasing

COYR

Why because he won't accept an offer if supporters think like that then put yourself in his situation.

There is another point a view that the club has put this out in the public to attract offers from other clubs.

Simply, if he stays he remains the hero, if he goes he won't. Pure and simple as that

COYR

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on July 06, 2017, 11:16:15 am by drfchound »
  Well that certainly answers the question why Williams was taken off the transfer list after two days of pre-season training...

We offer what we can and he signs or he doesn't,if he doesn't, take what we can for him and send him on his way..

I for one don't believe a word footballers say anymore,all that crap about after years of not getting a chance how fantastic it was to be part of a team,playing every week for a manager who has faith in him and for a club that believes in him...Whats that actually worth to a player who has no connection with the club he plays for???,at a guess very little against the almighty buck...

I wonder whether AW will be more popular than JM now simply because he wants to stay ?

That's a good point Hound...For me he now gets first chance..Although after that interview with Fergie I don't expect Marquis to still be here at the start of the season anyway...It's well documented by both DF and fans who spoke to him that Williams wants to stay here but I still think the uncertainty aroud Marquis has as much to do with taking him off the list as anything else...

So do I wingco.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on July 06, 2017, 11:19:20 am by drfchound »
Last season's budget apparently wasn't much lower than the season before don't forget and that was a top 10 League One budget. That'll be what we're working with again.

Surely Marquis won't be selfish and want money that'll mean we can't strengthen the right areas. Hopefully he'd realise we won't do as well because of his greed.

I can sense that the fans will be getting ready to sing the "one greedy bas**rd" song to JM.

TBH, Mush mentioned letting him go if we could get Paddy madden in.
That would be a decent swap of personnel IMO.
So we don't offer John the wages he wants although he hasn't  asked to leave. Yet we have the money to pay a fransfer fee and wages for what people say a recognised league 1 striker in Paddy Madden. Doesn't make sense.

It was simply said that if JM leaves then Madden would be a good replacement, not that we should have both of them here.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:24:32 am by drfchound »

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on July 06, 2017, 11:21:28 am by Alickismyhero »
The show goes on......its all a game....... Marquis agent is squeezing the board for as much as he can but the agent isn't likely to beat Bramall when he has made his mind up!

By keeping Williams the battle will go on. I would suggest we all forget the emotional loyalty rubbish the board must have a plan if they are not prepared to cave in. If the club decide to put Marquis up for sale the two I would like them to consider is Madden and Akinde. I would prefer Akinde, because Madden has a reputation of having an attitude problem.

Remember its all a game and I don't think Bramall will cave in.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on July 06, 2017, 11:22:02 am by ravenrover »
Now here's a strange thing if I've got this twitter thing right, Copps liked the following tweet about the JM situation "unfortunately this is the name of the game today loyalty is a thing of the past it looks like he is holding us to ransome. Shame. Let him go".
Interesting! 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:28:03 am by ravenrover »

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on July 06, 2017, 11:27:18 am by acko »
JMs record with all the other clubs hes played with doesnt make good reading so if he now thinks hes a better player i suggest he knuckles down to a new season and see if he can score goals in a higher league.The Rovers are under no obligation to sell just now hes still on contract.if he does score goals in the higher league then it gives him good bargaining power.its like a game of bluff.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on July 06, 2017, 11:33:58 am by GazLaz »
At his level though you have to take a chance of a big pay day if it comes along. If a double your money championship offer comes in with a big signing on lump it would be life changing for him.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on July 06, 2017, 11:50:10 am by Metalmicky »
JM was a journeyman before he came and after a run of games showed some ability, supported by a supply line of Copps, Rowe, Houghton et al in League 2. Williams had a similar golden season I recall and was hailed as the saviour before the inevitable fall. Let's all calm down and wait for what happens - if that means JM moves on then so be it.

Just my opinion btw - but personally concentrating on the Lions - whilst sat in my bed in the Holiday Inn outer Auckland........ Lions Lions Lions :clapping:

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on July 06, 2017, 11:51:42 am by boro_rover »
Money has to be the driving force behind his descision. We are all the same and as mentioned above if you were offered double your money elsewhere you would likely go.

From Marquis' perspective he will go into wage demands saying he scored 25% of our goals last season and that got us promotion.

It is like a marketing manager closing a deal that takes a company to the next level - he wants his just reward. It isn't greedy or unfair.

If the club don't want to reward him, then that is fine.

But we have a wage structure that we need to adhere to. We can't go laying him 4K or whatever more than everyone else. It caused problems in the camp with disgruntled players etc.

He does deserve a pay rise because he was too man for us last year. But a balance has to be found.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on July 06, 2017, 11:54:01 am by steve@dcfd »
At his level though you have to take a chance of a big pay day if it comes along. If a double your money championship offer comes in with a big signing on lump it would be life changing for him.

The transfer fee could assist bringing  in the players we are finding difficult to get with in our budget.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on July 06, 2017, 12:14:10 pm by GazLaz »
JM was a journeyman before he came and after a run of games showed some ability, supported by a supply line of Copps, Rowe, Houghton et al in League 2. Williams had a similar golden season I recall and was hailed as the saviour before the inevitable fall. Let's all calm down and wait for what happens - if that means JM moves on then so be it.

Just my opinion btw - but personally concentrating on the Lions - whilst sat in my bed in the Holiday Inn outer Auckland........ Lions Lions Lions :clapping:

Journeyman is a bit harsh. He only had one parent club before us. There's a difference between being a journeyman and a young pro going out on loan to get experience.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on July 06, 2017, 12:27:11 pm by Metalmicky »
Journeyman or not, he has had a good season in League 2 and we need to consider or options as a club that needs injects of cash along the way... IMO if he wants to go... cash in and look forward.  Lions Lions Lions

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on July 06, 2017, 12:31:38 pm by GazLaz »
Journeyman or not, he has had a good season in League 2 and we need to consider or options as a club that needs injects of cash along the way... IMO if he wants to go... cash in and look forward.  Lions Lions Lions

If he goes this window it's another in demand saleable asset we get rock bottom money/ no money for following in the footsteps of Friend, Spurr, Cotterill et al

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on July 06, 2017, 12:32:34 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Footballers have always moved on to where better terms are offered. And that goes all the way back to the beginning nearly 150 years ago. It's not a new thing, just maybe a little more frequent than in the long distant past.

Funny how much of the above is being said when nobody has a clue what has being offered and what is being demanded. I wouldn't be surprised if he's demanding way over the odds, but maybe not.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on July 06, 2017, 12:34:39 pm by steve@dcfd »
Liam Hoden tweeted
On Marquis: from what I'm told it's not 'contract rejected and that's it' Further talks will be held as you'd fully expect #drfc

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on July 06, 2017, 12:40:40 pm by GazLaz »
Liam Hoden tweeted
On Marquis: from what I'm told it's not 'contract rejected and that's it' Further talks will be held as you'd fully expect #drfc

Typical negotiations then.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on July 06, 2017, 12:56:32 pm by Upton Rover »
1 good season does not make him a great player. Let him go if he wants more cash greeeeeeeedy

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on July 06, 2017, 01:12:27 pm by drfchound »
1 good season does not make him a great player. Let him go if he wants more cash greeeeeeeedy

That song is going to happen..................

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on July 06, 2017, 01:13:09 pm by RedJ »
First offer in negotiations rejected shocker.

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on July 06, 2017, 01:17:49 pm by Susan Abbott »
Evina !! Need I say any more!!

YES PLEASE
Got a new contract and just didn't turn up after that .

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on July 06, 2017, 01:18:17 pm by RoversAlias »

My god that meme is so old, I bet the kid in the image is about 12 now  :P

Made me laugh though. This thread hasn't been as erratic as I expected when I went on Twitter and saw the news.

My thoughts, since this news has made me look slightly stupid for insisting all week that there's nothing to suggest he might leave, is that both the player and the club need to make a decision now. He either stays and signs an extension or we sell him whilst we can still get a bit of money for him. Fergie isn't stupid, he knows that he needs Marquis or a player in Marquis' mold. He's said today that he is happy with the five strikers he has, and that this rejection doesn't mean Marquis is leaving. If he's that confident, then maybe there's nothing to worry about but the longer this drags on, the worse it'll get especially for Marquis, since fans will soon turn on a player seen to be holding the club to ransom.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on July 06, 2017, 01:19:20 pm by drfchound »

No way would i suggest that AW's time with us is a fail.
(Wiki facts) 76 appearances and 25 goals, one goal every three games.
with other clubs he has 416 appearances and 94 goals, one goal every 4.425 games.
His career total is 491 games and 119 goals, one goal every 4.12 games.

His record with us is better than he has had elsewhere.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on July 06, 2017, 01:20:51 pm by drfchound »

My god that meme is so old, I bet the kid in the image is about 12 now  :P

Made me laugh though. This thread hasn't been as erratic as I expected when I went on Twitter and saw the news.

My thoughts, since this news has made me look slightly stupid for insisting all week that there's nothing to suggest he might leave, is that both the player and the club need to make a decision now. He either stays and signs an extension or we sell him whilst we can still get a bit of money for him. Fergie isn't stupid, he knows that he needs Marquis or a player in Marquis' mold. He's said today that he is happy with the five strikers he has, and that this rejection doesn't mean Marquis is leaving. If he's that confident, then maybe there's nothing to worry about but the longer this drags on, the worse it'll get especially for Marquis, since fans will soon turn on a player seen to be holding the club to ransom.

RA, you were suggesting that anyone who thought there could be any issue with the contract had got it wrong.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on July 06, 2017, 01:23:51 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Now here's a strange thing if I've got this twitter thing right, Copps liked the following tweet about the JM situation "unfortunately this is the name of the game today loyalty is a thing of the past it looks like he is holding us to ransome. Shame. Let him go".
Interesting! 

He liked a reply to that about him being loyal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012