Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 03:08:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis rejects offer  (Read 27468 times)

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
Re: Marquis rejects offer
« Reply #120 on July 07, 2017, 04:51:49 pm by DonnyNoel »
Noel you could be right about JM contract. But we have not yet signed other players we wanted and as been reported we missed out. So again we might have a large budget but deciding we'll only spend it on the players we want.

The last time we were in League 1 wages and salaries was about 4 m I believe,  so large part of that will be player budget. Under today's salary and wages requirements it might be larger, I don't know.

That's true, it could be that we've been too ambitious and fishing in the wrong pond and therefore losing out to Championship clubs.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on July 07, 2017, 04:59:45 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Noel you could be right about JM contract. But we have not yet signed other players we wanted and as been reported we missed out. So again we might have a large budget but deciding we'll only spend it on the players we want.

The last time we were in League 1 wages and salaries was about 4 m I believe,  so large part of that will be player budget. Under today's salary and wages requirements it might be larger, I don't know.

That's true, it could be that we've been too ambitious and fishing in the wrong pond and therefore losing out to Championship clubs.

Either that, or we didn't provide enough bait!  ;)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on July 07, 2017, 06:17:20 pm by wilts rover »
You've gotta be careful, football attracts far too many sharks these days...

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on July 07, 2017, 07:19:01 pm by silent majority »
There's so many incorrect assumptions in this thread I wouldn't know where to start!

But I'm intrigued how we supposedly missed out on a striker because of money. How do people know? Where did the club report that this happened? The obvious answer is they didn't.

I've said it before on this forum and I'll repeat myself again, there's nothing wrong with our budget. We'll definitely be at the top end of this division rather than the bottom.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on July 07, 2017, 07:30:09 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Is it a top two budget, a play off budget or top half budget then?
Just so we won't be making incorrect assumptions.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on July 07, 2017, 07:31:54 pm by mushRTID »
I've always wondered when guessing where our budget sits in the league.

How do people know the 23 other teams budget?

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on July 07, 2017, 07:34:21 pm by Susan Abbott »
If a budget is the problem it can only be agreed based on need . I would have thought that DF is understanding of the amount of money pumped into the club and constraints the club has to work under so getting players in for no fee or low at least agents fee only is the best he can hope for . JM is doing what he thinks is best for him knowing that if he gets it it's win . Let's face it if having not signed an upgraded contract he then fails to hit the back of the net he will soon sign but if he live up to his billing then he is positioned to get a deal of a lifetime or a money move in January .

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on July 07, 2017, 07:38:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Aye, we don't want to flounder in the lower leagues as a result of attracting those, do we....

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on July 07, 2017, 07:57:55 pm by Jersey Rover »
Pay him, make sure he scores a shed load before Xmas then move him on if that's his desire. I don't blame him wanting to play at the highest level he can for the best wage he can attract. I just want us to get the best out of him for Doncaster Rovers. If that means paying him his demands then moving him on in the silly season which is January, so be it. If he wants to stay, sign up and let's move on

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on July 07, 2017, 09:17:10 pm by ravenrover »
Until we hear something from either the club or the player as to whether he is staying or going I suggest the Mods lock the thread

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on July 07, 2017, 09:37:35 pm by drfchound »

Aye, we don't want to flounder in the lower leagues as a result of attracting those, do we....

Speaking of sharks, I seem to remember that DRFC was one of the highest in L2 for the paying of agents fees last season.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on July 07, 2017, 09:45:51 pm by silent majority »
I've always wondered when guessing where our budget sits in the league.

How do people know the 23 other teams budget?

All clubs have to declare their business plans and, by default, their budgets to the EFL long before the season starts.  From then on, because of FFP, they have to keep the EFL updated as to how close they are keeping within budget. 

A lot of that information is then shared with all clubs enabling them to see how they compare.  If you know enough people in enough clubs you can then work out where everyone fits in the grand scheme.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on July 08, 2017, 12:39:22 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Talk of budgets mean nothing from either side. If the club speaks in terms of 'Top half' budget then what does that supposed to tell us? This sort of non-specific information will always be met by a certain amount of scepticism by those who hang on to every word and bide their time to beat the club with a stick when things don't appear to be going well. It certainly doesn't impress many people.

The only speak that means something, is when a manager makes it known how he wants to improve the squad. Fergie said he wanted 5 in minimum and we've got 4 to date. So, we can only assume we've not finished trading.

Talk from fans guessing who we can afford and who we can't is silly really. If there's a deal that can be done, I'm sure DF and our CEO will explore all possibilities. We all know it's about value for money. Some negotiations we win, some we lose and players end up going elsewhere. That's football.

To be honest, there has been some mixed messages coming out of the club or from DF himself, so you can understand why people might be a bit unsure of 'What's going on'.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:41:46 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on July 11, 2017, 05:16:04 pm by RedJ »
Rumours on social media that he's headed across South Yorkshire...

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on July 11, 2017, 05:41:44 pm by Rovers Return »
Good God! He's going nowhere just yet! He's a one season pony (at the moment) that has an agent who's trying it on. Big, unreasonable demands that the club (don't blame em) won't match....unless by Christmas he's the messiah and scores for fun.

Ask yourself one question: Would you pay him a large ££££££ per week and a transfer fee if you were a manager of a club for him to dry up next season? Explain that to your board of directors. My guess is that the club haven't even received a curious phone call let alone a serious enquiry.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on July 11, 2017, 05:51:49 pm by RedJ »
Only saying what I've seen, on a thread about, you guessed it, John Marquis.

DINGLE

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on July 11, 2017, 05:52:34 pm by DINGLE »
Rumours on social media that he's headed across South Yorkshire...

Is he good enough for us ?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on July 11, 2017, 06:02:38 pm by RedJ »
If the Marquis that we saw for most of the season signs for you then maybe, if it's the one from the last six games then he's not even good enough for us.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on July 11, 2017, 06:06:37 pm by Rovers Return »
Not having a direct rant at you RedJ. 😊

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on July 11, 2017, 06:25:34 pm by eastender »
Barnsley only have 1 recognised striker at the moment in Tom Bradshaw .
So they need another 2 at least in the championship , perhaps one of those could be a punt on a lower league goal scorer like Marquis.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on July 11, 2017, 09:47:31 pm by steve@dcfd »
His commitment tonight shows he still wants to be here come CEO get an agreement.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on July 11, 2017, 09:50:26 pm by balbyrover »
His commitment tonight shows he still wants to be here come CEO get an agreement.

Sorry but what commitment ? He's turned up and done the job hes contracted and paid well to do?
Have i missed something?

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on July 11, 2017, 09:54:34 pm by mushRTID »
I've got a bad feeling about Marquis. Money talks at the end of the day. I hope to god I'm wrong.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on July 11, 2017, 10:01:32 pm by steve@dcfd »
Having listen to him talk and watch him play tonight the  only bad feeling I have is the club want to sell him to supplement the budget.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on July 11, 2017, 10:04:34 pm by RedJ »
So we've just offered him a contract for the f**k of it.

Christ you talk some shite at times.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on July 11, 2017, 10:07:52 pm by mushRTID »
Having listen to him talk and watch him play tonight the  only bad feeling I have is the club want to sell him to supplement the budget.

Why would we offer a contract then?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on July 11, 2017, 10:13:52 pm by steve@dcfd »
Because we want show supporters they can but if you have not have any offers they will or give him his worth. The contract they have offered him would they offer for a league 1 striker no because they can't afford it😁

darren61

« Reply #147 on July 11, 2017, 10:16:28 pm by darren61 »

Why would we offer a contract then?
Exactly, if we wanted rid, why offer a new contract? for the fans benefit? we tried to keep him and he refused? If JM was anywhere near a move away he would not have been in the squad at Armthorpe, END OF.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:06:30 am by darren61 »

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on July 11, 2017, 10:18:36 pm by vaya »
Because we want show supporters they can but if you have not have any offers they will or give him his worth. The contract they have offered him would they offer for a league 1 striker no because they can't afford it😁

How much have they offered Steve? To the nearest thousand will do.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on July 11, 2017, 10:36:34 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Totally unsure where the £8k a week for JM has supposedly been asking for was started. My observation on this is that our near neighbours at Barnsley aren't paying those sort of wages in the Chapionship.
The lads at RS regularly saying that Winall went to Wendies and they quadrupled his wages overnight to £30k a week.
If he ( Winnall) was a sought after striker, and scoring in the Championship would Barnsley taking a punt on a bloke who was scored in L2 and pay the same wages?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012