Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 11:16:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis rejects offer  (Read 27459 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Marquis rejects offer
« Reply #150 on July 11, 2017, 10:57:10 pm by RedJ »
Because we want show supporters they can but if you have not have any offers they will or give him his worth. The contract they have offered him would they offer for a league 1 striker no because they can't afford it😁

Does it hurt? talking out your arse constantly?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on July 12, 2017, 06:52:58 am by Alan Southstand »
Lincoln, by my maths, Winall can't have been far off 8k then?

The reality is nobody knows what JM is paid and nobody knows what the Club have offered him. All we do know is that JM (with his Agents advice) has decided to decline the offer. We also know that JM is arguably our best striker and if he was to leave we would find it extremely difficult to replace him. There will not be a similar striker sat at home out of contract, so that means the Club would probably have to be paying a transfer fee and good wages. Or have some of the bright sparks on here got a better idea?

The best thing all round is to extend his Contract and if someone does decide they want him, they will not get him cheaply, like they will if he doesn't sign anything and ends up going to Barnsley at Christmas for next to nowt. We'll all be p1ssed off if that happens. I'll be hacked off if he leaves at all, as I believe DF has found a diamond - a striker who can score goals and grafts for the team.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on July 12, 2017, 07:11:41 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Ferguson seems to think it will be done.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on July 12, 2017, 08:08:30 am by acko »
 J M refusal to accept new contract is not surprising,his goals last season gives him a decent bargaining position but is he as good a player as people think played for 8 clubs previosly all in the lower leagues and never achieved anywhere near is goal tally of last season.make him available for transfer and see what interest there is. Manderville showed great promise last season till injury ruined his season he could be an ideal replacement.There is no particular ambition for the club this season apart from avoiding relegation,A decision regarding JM must be made now because if it isnt it could roll on and on and effect the start of the season which is important to our season.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #154 on July 12, 2017, 08:10:06 am by Rovers Return »
Not having a direct rant at you RedJ. 😊

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #155 on July 12, 2017, 08:34:54 am by Lincoln Rover »
Alan southstand.
You're correct matey, in terms of the maths. He was supposedly the highest paid player. Barnsley( not my favourite club by a country mile), seem to want to keep within a given price structure and I applaud them for that. My point was why ( unless desperate) shell out for a striker they won't get cheaply and pay top rate wages. Let's take the names out of it and say they bought someone from Shrewsbury, it would still be a huge gamble.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on July 12, 2017, 08:43:33 am by steve@dcfd »
Decision has been made according to DF he is confident that he will sign, should be before the season starts.

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-ferguson-still-confident-of-john-marquis-deal-1-8644314

By the way RedJ chill out we all support the same team but have different views on players, managers and even the board. It is a forum where some supporters are allowed to make derogatory remarks about others posters.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #157 on July 12, 2017, 08:52:51 am by jonnydog »
Yeah RedJ, you Kitson!!

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on July 12, 2017, 08:58:13 am by phil old leake »
Who's not bored of this. To me it's obvious and I don't blame him. He's playing it tight. I'm guessing he's looking for a move or more money and neither have come in. I'm in no doubts if someone comes in with a good offer he's gone like greased sxxt  I'm not slating him if I was him I'd do the same. It's about looking after yourself. I personally will be surprised if he gets lots of goals next year.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #159 on July 12, 2017, 09:22:11 am by NickDRFC »
Acko - never really understood the criticism of Marquis' previous record/numerous loans as a stick to beat him with. Harry Kane scored 14 goals in 56 appearances at Orient, Millwall, Norwich and Leicester (including not getting off the bench when they relegated us) but you don't hear people talk about that other than it having been helpful for his development.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on July 12, 2017, 09:28:05 am by drfchound »
J M refusal to accept new contract is not surprising,his goals last season gives him a decent bargaining position but is he as good a player as people think played for 8 clubs previosly all in the lower leagues and never achieved anywhere near is goal tally of last season.make him available for transfer and see what interest there is. Manderville showed great promise last season till injury ruined his season he could be an ideal replacement.There is no particular ambition for the club this season apart from avoiding relegation,A decision regarding JM must be made now because if it isnt it could roll on and on and effect the start of the season which is important to our season.

No way would Mandeville be a suitable replacement for Marquis.
They are very different types of player.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on July 12, 2017, 09:44:45 am by RedJ »
Decision has been made according to DF he is confident that he will sign, should be before the season starts.

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-ferguson-still-confident-of-john-marquis-deal-1-8644314

By the way RedJ chill out we all support the same team but have different views on players, managers and even the board. It is a forum where some supporters are allowed to make derogatory remarks about others posters.

No, it's a forum where people seem to cry when people point out they're talking b*llocks. Unless you can prove otherwise you're plucking figures out of the air and making shit up about what the board are doing or planning to do.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #162 on July 12, 2017, 09:50:07 am by DearneValleyRover »
I'm with redj on this, the overeation to no news and figure plucking from the air has been nothing sort of ridiculous. I appreciate we all have different views but this was speculation wrapped in fear

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on July 12, 2017, 01:29:39 pm by wing commander »
   it all depends on what you think of the player in question..Some people think Marquis is irreplaceable and we must keep him at all costs,others question the fact he's had 1 good year and that's all..Bottom line is as a club we offer him the best deal we can that fits into the budget DF has..He signs it or he doesn't,if he does everybody's happy,if he doesn't we move him on and fetch somebody else in...No dramas for me either way....

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on July 12, 2017, 02:29:48 pm by Bezza »
Fergie still seems confident of Marquis signing, paniciking to soon ?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on July 12, 2017, 02:47:42 pm by steve@dcfd »
   it all depends on what you think of the player in question..Some people think Marquis is irreplaceable and we must keep him at all costs,others question the fact he's had 1 good year and that's all..Bottom line is as a club we offer him the best deal we can that fits into the budget DF has..He signs it or he doesn't,if he does everybody's happy,if he doesn't we move him on and fetch somebody else in...No dramas for me either way....

It's not that he is irreplaceable in my mind. But if he goes who do we replace him with. People talk about a proven league 1 striker but I believe, and I could be wrong, that the overall cost of wages and transfer fee would be prohibitive.
We could bring a loan but could player score more than Marquis and other strikers.
It's not panicking it's making sure we have the fire power to be competitive in this league.

But it looks now he will be signing so that should be good as you say for everybody.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on July 12, 2017, 04:03:42 pm by wing commander »
True but of course Marquis is far from a proven league 1 striker..So far he's a striker who scored a lot of goals in the bottom division for a team that created masses of chances...This season will tell us how good he is..If he can still notch them up in a higher league for a average team then I will say we've got a player on our hands until then he has limited value as to what we can offer him...

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #167 on July 12, 2017, 05:53:05 pm by Alan Southstand »
Have a bit of faith, WC.

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on July 12, 2017, 07:24:04 pm by Susan Abbott »
Why would the club move on JM contract,  as he isn't entitled to another only that the club wanted to extent it . JM will look very stupid if he fails to capitalise on last season by failing to appreciate what has been offered was , a genuine gesture by recognising his achievements and he should show his appreciation by signing and remove the growing feeling , that can only makes him look arrogant and self centred . 

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #169 on July 12, 2017, 11:44:37 pm by wing commander »
Have a bit of faith, WC.

Nothing to do with Faith Alan,just reality..You just can't throw massive money at a player who has yet to justify he can play above the bottom level...I actually think Williams will be the more prolific striker this season...

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #170 on July 13, 2017, 07:30:01 am by Alan Southstand »
Well, all I can say is, having watched the pair of them on Tuesday night, I know who I'd rather have if I had to choose only 1. The pair of them are good for one another and it worked last season, so here's hoping. I think young Alfie might surprise one or two if he gets the chance - he does look sharp.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on July 13, 2017, 10:34:07 am by RoversAlias »
He looks like Billy Sharp? Must've put some timber on over the summer!

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #172 on July 13, 2017, 11:04:41 am by DearneValleyRover »
Alfie has been in the gym since the end of last season he knows he was knocked off the ball too easily

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on July 13, 2017, 11:15:12 am by GazLaz »
Alfie has been in the gym since the end of last season he knows he was knocked off the ball too easily

I'd like to think they've all been in the gym. If you are a pro footballer and don't have the physique of Christian Ronaldo you are not working hard enough.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #174 on July 13, 2017, 11:36:54 am by NickDRFC »

I'd like to think they've all been in the gym. If you are a pro footballer and don't have the physique of Christian Ronaldo you are not working hard enough.

Far fewer footballers don't have the physique of Ronaldo than those that do, especially at our level. Are they all not working hard enough?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on July 13, 2017, 11:39:19 am by GazLaz »

Far fewer footballers don't have the physique of Ronaldo than those that do, especially at our level. Are they all not working hard enough?

Yes. There's no excuse.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on July 13, 2017, 11:43:39 am by RoversAlias »
I was only making a crap joke about Alan using the word 'sharp' to describe Alfie, lads  :chair:

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on July 13, 2017, 11:58:45 am by NickDRFC »

Yes. There's no excuse.

So a player for Morecambe or Accrington Stanley has no excuse for being in the same shape as a player at a club who have an insane amount of money invested in equipment and staff to make sure he is in absolute peak physical condition? I respectfully disagree.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #178 on July 13, 2017, 12:25:09 pm by GazLaz »

Yes. There's no excuse.

So a player for Morecambe or Accrington Stanley has no excuse for being in the same shape as a player at a club who have an insane amount of money invested in equipment and staff to make sure he is in absolute peak physical condition? I respectfully disagree.

There are plenty of people that are not professional sportsmen that are in supreme condition.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #179 on July 13, 2017, 12:49:43 pm by Jonathan »
This has strayed hugely off topic, but (as much as I can't say I particularly warm to him as a person) I think Ronaldo maintains his flawless physical conditioning inspite of the money available to him rather than because of it. Far too many of our own 'top level' footballers seem to be distracted by nightclubs and drinking. Ronaldo, to his credit, apparently doesn't drink.

You don't get the sense that many of the supposedly top English players are exactly dedicated to their sport. There's probably more humility and hard graft further down the chain.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012