Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 11:24:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Uber > yes or no  (Read 6948 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Uber > yes or no
« on September 23, 2017, 08:14:36 pm by not on facebook »
This will be tricky one as they are the far cheapest out there ,but that comes with the far bigger risk factor involved if you use them.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Re: Uber > yes or no
« Reply #1 on September 23, 2017, 08:33:37 pm by MrFrost »
Yes.
I find it madness that you can use it in Rotherham but not Donny.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 23, 2017, 09:07:31 pm by not on facebook »
Yes.

Iam not quite upto date with the uber facts  but I have to ask why I can be used in Rotherham and not in donny?.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 23, 2017, 09:10:34 pm by MrFrost »
Yes.

Iam not quite upto date with the uber facts  but I have to ask why I can be used in Rotherham and not in donny?.

Probably because of its proximity to Sheffield.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 23, 2017, 09:25:59 pm by roversdude »
Never used them but nearly got run over by a silent über Prius in London last week

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 23, 2017, 09:39:05 pm by Donnywolf »
Never used them but nearly got run over by a silent über Prius in London last week

Ah yes the silent Prius. I had 2 and the number of people who step out in front of you in Car Parks is huge and always made me smile. They would jump and look at you and I always had a funny grin on my mush

Then in Budapest one day where I still looked right left right before crossing the road I stepped right into the path of the silent killer - I jumped - and the driver had a smile that I instantly "knew"

Anyway I decided enough was enough so now I have Rav4 Hybrid and its not as much fun cos pedestrian notice it more

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 23, 2017, 09:41:07 pm by MrFrost »
I drive a hybrid too. The number of people who have walked out because they don't bother looking as they can't hear it is crazy. Only a matter of time before I hit someone!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 23, 2017, 09:43:39 pm by Donnywolf »
... but to answer the point surely its market forces at work. Providing Uber have safe cars and safe vetted drivers surely they can then provide a service even if (or especially if) they undercut the Black Cabs ?

Incidentally I thought on Weds on way to AFC ..... Do Black Cabs still have to do The Knowledge cos with Sat Navs surely that would take them everywhere via the shortest route possible ?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 23, 2017, 10:39:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Those of you who use Uber. I assume you understand their business model?

1) Play the "we're the friend of the punter who wants a cab - in fact we'll make prices so low that we won't make a profit for 5 years," card.

2) Drive as many taxi firm competitors out of business as they can.

3) In the meantime, invest shit loads in driverless car technology.

4) Be a monopoly business by 2030 when no drivers are needed.

5) Charge what the f**k you want...

This is a MASSIVE class war. What Uber plans is to put about 50 million drivers out of work across the world, and reap the profits for its investors. The cheap cab fares approach is just the initial skirmishes of that war.

Those of you who use Uber are the equivalent of those who used to blindly agree with what the Soviet Union said. You are blindly lapping up the product without thinking about the strategic position that powerful men are planning. We used to call the old Soviet lackeys "useful idiots". That's what Uber users are. Useful idiots who lap up cheap fares today, and don't give a moment's thoughtvas to what the implications will be in 10 years' time. 

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 23, 2017, 10:49:34 pm by MrFrost »
Those of you who use Uber. I assume you understand their business model?

1) Play the "we're the friend of the punter who wants a cab - in fact we'll make prices so low that we won't make a profit for 5 years," card.

2) Drive as many taxi firm competitors out of business as they can.

3) In the meantime, invest shit loads in driverless car technology.

4) Be a monopoly business by 2030 when no drivers are needed.

5) Charge what the f**k you want...

This is a MASSIVE class war. What Uber plans is to put about 50 million drivers out of work across the world, and reap the profits for its investors. The cheap cab fares approach is just the initial skirmishes of that war.

Those of you who use Uber are the equivalent of those who used to blindly agree with what the Soviet Union said. You are blindly lapping up the product without thinking about the strategic position that powerful men are planning. We used to call the old Soviet lackeys "useful idiots". That's what Uber users are. Useful idiots who lap up cheap fares today, and don't give a moment's thoughtvas to what the implications will be in 10 years' time. 

I couldn't give a shit.

I'd rather pay a fiver for an Uber than twenty quid for a regular London cab.

They will get their London license renewed in the end.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 23, 2017, 11:36:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Like I said. Useful Idiot.

Their business model is predicated on making idiots think that they've got a good deal today, whilst actually f**king them over 10 times tomorrow.

Have you had a look at the Nottinghamshire coal mining villages lately?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 11:42:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 23, 2017, 11:47:21 pm by Dagenham Rover »
I wouldnt like to guarantee they will get the license back theres reasons why they have been stopped from operating in other countries and cities as BST says theres a far far bigger picture with ubers business model

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 24, 2017, 12:17:00 am by Filo »
Uber is bad, very bad, the flout licensing laws and are basically unregulated. Surge pricing should tell you all you need to know about this company

During the London terror incidents recently, London cabbies were offering free rides for people stranded, Uber used surge pricing to rip people off
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:19:28 am by Filo »

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 24, 2017, 03:07:36 am by not on facebook »
BST unless ism getting the wrong end of the stick here ,but once driverless cars are flowing out of car show rooms it will be driverless taxis aswell.

So with above in mind why will uber have full run of driverless taxis ?
Surely micks driverless taxi company with his fleet of 10 or so cabs aswell as rosso driverless cabs and filo will have a driverless cab of his own.

With no drivers surely anyone could add their banger to a driverless cab fleet > or do I miss something.

Take away the drivers ,no more rapes or accidents or over charging etc etc hence surely no strict controll will be needed as in hackney carriage .

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 24, 2017, 08:35:16 am by MrFrost »
Uber is bad, very bad, the flout licensing laws and are basically unregulated. Surge pricing should tell you all you need to know about this company

During the London terror incidents recently, London cabbies were offering free rides for people stranded, Uber used surge pricing to rip people off

The mini cab companies in Donny aren't exactly an example of how to run a good business.

And if you want to mention London cabbies, having lived there, many of them will deliberately take you on a longer route to inflate the fare. Or simply refuse to take you to your destination if they don't fancy going that way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:39:11 am by MrFrost »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 24, 2017, 09:39:43 am by NickDRFC »

The mini cab companies in Donny aren't exactly an example of how to run a good business.

And if you want to mention London cabbies, having lived there, many of them will deliberately take you on a longer route to inflate the fare. Or simply refuse to take you to your destination if they don't fancy going that way.

I've lived in London for 8 of the last 9 years and the only issue I've ever had with a black cab is that sometimes they never seem to be about when you need them.

If paying a few more quid for my taxi home means that one less unvetted driver gets to scare some young girl in the back of his uber then I'm fine with that.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 24, 2017, 09:59:05 am by MrFrost »

I've lived in London for 8 of the last 9 years and the only issue I've ever had with a black cab is that sometimes they never seem to be about when you need them.

If paying a few more quid for my taxi home means that one less unvetted driver gets to scare some young girl in the back of his uber then I'm fine with that.

Uber drivers are vetted. They all have enhanced checks.

And what makes you think all other London taxis are safe?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/over-400-london-cab-drivers-charged-with-crimes-last-year-a3226396.html%3famp#ampshare=https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/over-400-london-cab-drivers-charged-with-crimes-last-year-a3226396.html

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 24, 2017, 10:28:53 am by Filo »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/over-400-london-cab-drivers-charged-with-crimes-last-year-a3226396.html%3famp#ampshare=https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/over-400-london-cab-drivers-charged-with-crimes-last-year-a3226396.html

TFL do not hold any records of uber drivers, as they are the licensing authourity and independent of any cab firm, that is totally wrong

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 24, 2017, 10:32:01 am by MrFrost »

TFL do not hold any records of uber drivers, as they are the licensing authourity and independent of any cab firm, that is totally wrong

And, what is your point? Fact is Uber perform their own checks, including enhanced DBS checks.

Maybe you could look at your employer Filo, and the way they operate their business before you take the moral high ground.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 24, 2017, 10:42:18 am by Glyn_Wigley »
The FA also perform their own checks. Apparently.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 24, 2017, 11:36:20 am by BillyStubbsTears »
BST unless ism getting the wrong end of the stick here ,but once driverless cars are flowing out of car show rooms it will be driverless taxis aswell.

Surely micks driverless taxi company with his fleet of 10 or so cabs aswell as rosso driverless cabs and filo will have a driverless cab of his own.

With no drivers surely anyone could add their banger to a driverless cab fleet > or do I miss something.

Take away the drivers ,no more rapes or accidents or over charging etc etc hence surely no strict controll will be needed as in hackney carriage .

Oslo

When driverless cars come in, they will be very expensive. The additional technology required will make them much more expensive than normal cars. But we will have to use them, because they will use the roads much more efficiently than human-driven cars. So journey times and pollution will be reduced.

But. Most people won't be able to afford a driverless car. So, the predictions are that we won't own our own cars - we'll effectively use driverless taxis for every trip. Dial a cab to go to work, go to see your mum, go out for the day.

That's Uber's business model. They want to have a monopoly or a near-monopoly in the cab business so that, when we all depend on cabs for EVERY trip, they are the only player in town.

Think about the economics (Frosty won't care about this because he saves a couple of quid today, but for the rest of us, this is VERY important.) Uber has attracted $8bn of finance and it is valued at $70bn. That's a lot more than either Ford or General Motors.

But it's never once made a profit! So how can it be so highly valued? It's precisely because the big money men who have poured money into itcan see the big picture that Frosty isn't interested in. The current low fares are loss-leaders. They are the entry drug to make us all dependent on Uber when the big play that I described comes to pass.

Now, I'm not against the technology. It has to come and it will come. But if it's going to come, it's vital that we don't have a single mega-company controlling the market. We need hundreds, maybe thousands of local competitors all around the world. In the meantime, every one of you who uses Uber is bringing the day a bit closer when you don't CHOOSE to use them, but are utterly dependent on them

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 24, 2017, 11:39:00 am by Filo »

And, what is your point? Fact is Uber perform their own checks, including enhanced DBS checks.

Maybe you could look at your employer Filo, and the way they operate their business before you take the moral high ground.

We've been here before with you, you know nothing about my employer, or the way he operates, and you probably know very little regarding how taxis are regulated

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 24, 2017, 11:42:54 am by MrFrost »

We've been here before with you, you know nothing about my employer, or the way he operates, and you probably know very little regarding how taxis are regulated

You'd be surprised what I know. I've been in your taxi on more than one occasion.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 24, 2017, 11:45:36 am by not on facebook »

Oslo

When driverless cars come in, they will be very expensive. The additional technology required will make them much more expensive than normal cars. But we will have to use them, because they will use the roads much more efficiently than human-driven cars. So journey times and pollution will be reduced.

But. Most people won't be able to afford a driverless car. So, the predictions are that we won't own our own cars - we'll effectively use driverless taxis for every trip. Dial a cab to go to work, go to see your mum, go out for the day.

That's Uber's business model. They want to have a monopoly or a near-monopoly in the cab business so that, when we all depend on cabs for EVERY trip, they are the only player in town.

Think about the economics (Frosty won't care about this because he saves a couple of quid today, but for the rest of us, this is VERY important.) Uber has attracted $8bn of finance and it is valued at $70bn. That's a lot more than either Ford or General Motors.

But it's never once made a profit! So how can it be so highly valued? It's precisely because the big money men who have poured money into itcan see the big picture that Frosty isn't interested in. The current low fares are loss-leaders. They are the entry drug to make us all dependent on Uber when the big play that I described comes to pass.

Now, I'm not against the technology. It has to come and it will come. But if it's going to come, it's vital that we don't have a single mega-company controlling the market. We need hundreds, maybe thousands of local competitors all around the world. In the meantime, every one of you who uses Uber is bringing the day a bit closer when you don't CHOOSE to use them, but are utterly dependent on them

I never took the cost of a driverless car into my way of thinking on the subject ,now you mention it's price things that you first posted now seem to stack up.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 24, 2017, 12:06:41 pm by not on facebook »
Back to the uber taxi thing but there does seem to be a underlying issue with female passengers getting raped by its drivers  which I guess is the main reason why uber finds it's self stopped it's opperation today.

As a male you will or should be ok using uber on your own. But you certianly would not want your daughter or lass using it would you,

Before uber Iam sure that there was rapes by taxi drivers from hire taxi firms ,just that since uber the amount of rapes has gone up untoldfold by uber taxi drivers.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 24, 2017, 12:13:26 pm by Filo »

You'd be surprised what I know. I've been in your taxi on more than one occasion.

Like I said you talk b*llocks, you've come that one before and been proved wrong, you don't know who I work for or when I work

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 24, 2017, 12:15:42 pm by MrFrost »

Like I said you talk b*llocks, you've come that one before and been proved wrong, you don't know who I work for or when I work

I think you need help, Filo.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 24, 2017, 01:32:03 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I think he wants proof. But no doubt you'll change the subject. Again.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 24, 2017, 01:50:01 pm by MrFrost »

I think he wants proof. But no doubt you'll change the subject. Again.

Proof I was in his taxi? How would you get that, exactly?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 24, 2017, 02:04:15 pm by Filo »

Proof I was in his taxi? How would you get that, exactly?

The name of the taxi company, the name the booking was made under, pick up and drop off point, days and times?

A couple of those will do, the system is easily checkable

TinyPortal © 2005-2012