Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 01:01:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Should Ferguson stay or go?

Stay
134 (70.9%)
Go
55 (29.1%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Stay or Go  (Read 18389 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Re: Stay or Go
« Reply #120 on October 03, 2017, 10:34:48 am by bobjimwilly »
Maybe our owners are star struck by having Ferguson senior as a match day attendee.

I don't think that for 1 second.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on October 03, 2017, 10:39:40 am by drfchound »
I do think that there are quite a number of supporters who are beginning to lean towards "go" but are reluctant to say so.

Managers come and go don't they but the club and the fans remain.

If DF is sacked we will obviously get someone new and who knows, we may well see an upturn in our fortunes on the pitch.

Maybe our owners are star struck by having Ferguson senior as a match day attendee.

Agree with most of that bar the last point; they're not teenagers, they are not going to keep employing a manager if they think he can't turn around our form just because they want to cosy up to his famous dad. I believe that they believe that DF is still the right man for the job (I'm undecided), and as soon as they think otherwise I've no doubt they will look to change it.

I don't actually believe that last line either Nick, i just threw it in because a customer of mine suggested it to me this morning.
I thought it might make a point of discussion.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on October 03, 2017, 04:17:55 pm by dickos1 »
I suspect that quite understandably given the laser-like focus of the Board on making the club financially sustainable, that the Ferguson record of picking up players young on modest wages and flogging them for big sums is quite attractive. There are many in this category in our current squad - Wright, Lawlor, Ben Khemis, Mason, May, Beestin, Garratt, Marquis etc.

Striking looking at that Saunders team of “mesters” how few of them had any resale value or were the right side of 30.

So whatever the results on the pitch I can see the attraction to the Board of Ferguson as a manager who fits neatly into the overall strategy for the club.

It's certainly a better strategy than building a side of misters who when you leave the league don't have a prayer in the next level.
A number of the young players we have will have careers above this level in my opinion

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on October 03, 2017, 04:21:21 pm by drfchound »
Don't you think that our fortunes turned and we finished safe this season, then next season finished well up the league, that some of our younger, better players would be off somewhere else for more money and bigger clubs ?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on October 03, 2017, 04:22:42 pm by GazLaz »
I suspect that quite understandably given the laser-like focus of the Board on making the club financially sustainable, that the Ferguson record of picking up players young on modest wages and flogging them for big sums is quite attractive. There are many in this category in our current squad - Wright, Lawlor, Ben Khemis, Mason, May, Beestin, Garratt, Marquis etc.

Striking looking at that Saunders team of “mesters” how few of them had any resale value or were the right side of 30.

So whatever the results on the pitch I can see the attraction to the Board of Ferguson as a manager who fits neatly into the overall strategy for the club.

It's certainly a better strategy than building a side of misters who when you leave the league don't have a prayer in the next level.
A number of the young players we have will have careers above this level in my opinion

Agree. Need to be patient though which football fans definitely are not. I can see what’s happening and where we could be in a couple of years.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on October 03, 2017, 05:06:20 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Don't you think that our fortunes turned and we finished safe this season, then next season finished well up the league, that some of our younger, better players would be off somewhere else for more money and bigger clubs ?

Yeah then we can reinvest that money in better youngsters, rinse and repeat.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on October 03, 2017, 05:15:57 pm by dickos1 »

Yes I do, and we will get good money for them

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on October 03, 2017, 05:42:22 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I suspect that while the “leave” camp is quite modest, there are very few after two years in the “this guy is doing a great job”.

Most folk probably in the “don’t want the disruption and will give him benefit of the doubt for a bit longer”.

I would pitch him below SOD, Penney and Saunders, and around same level as Dickov in recent years.

I think he's done a good job, and may go on to do a great job.

Saunders was a fly by night manager in how he set us up and in that he flew into the flames like a star struck moth. He could have done better but didn't, definitely worse than Fergie.

Penney did great but ran out of steam at this level.

SOD I liked and he ran well with the investment, would he have done well without that?

Dickov was just too basic in the end.

I honestly think Fergie could be one of our greatest ever managers *if* he can keep morale up and get through this patch and go forward from here.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on October 03, 2017, 06:41:16 pm by DearneValleyRover »

That’s the whole point but it’s eluding plenty on here.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on October 03, 2017, 07:00:58 pm by MrFrost »
I suspect that while the “leave” camp is quite modest, there are very few after two years in the “this guy is doing a great job”.

Most folk probably in the “don’t want the disruption and will give him benefit of the doubt for a bit longer”.

I would pitch him below SOD, Penney and Saunders, and around same level as Dickov in recent years.

Saunders was a fly by night manager in how he set us up and in that he flew into the flames like a star struck moth. He could have done better but didn't, definitely worse than Fergie.

SOD I liked and he ran well with the investment, would he have done well without that?

I honestly think Fergie could be one of our greatest ever managers *if* he can keep morale up and get through this patch and go forward from here.

Saunders was better with us than Fergie has been.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on October 03, 2017, 07:02:56 pm by drfchound »

I totally agree but there are some fans who envisage us keeping this current batch of young players and rising to become the mainstays of a sustainable Championship club.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on October 03, 2017, 07:04:25 pm by mushRTID »

How can you say "Saunders was definitely worse than Fergie?"

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on October 03, 2017, 07:22:42 pm by MrFrost »

How can you say "Saunders was definitely worse than Fergie?"

Most ridiculous thing I've seen on here in weeks.

There isn't a shred of evidence to support it.

Saunders built a team of experience and steel and left us in a very strong position.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on October 03, 2017, 07:27:08 pm by DearneValleyRover »

I totally agree but there are some fans who envisage us keeping this current batch of young players and rising to become the mainstays of a sustainable Championship club.

The problem is that most on here thought we would be challenging for promotion when in reality 16th to 20th was always more likely. Stay up this season then push on next. 

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on October 03, 2017, 07:41:26 pm by RoversAlias »
Dean Saunders was dreadful. The man had little tactical knowledge and had us playing some absolutely turgid football. His one plus point was that he put together a good squad, but I don't think we'd have won the league under him personally.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on October 03, 2017, 07:53:51 pm by sheffield exile1 »
We might have gone up early and thats 100% to the credit of all concerned, but then we seemed like we weren't bothered when job done, so season petered out with a whimper and left most fans with a flat and deflated feeling as per Hartlepool when leaving the ground. So we are then back to where we came from. This season, team formations baffling at best, with using the diamond formation but not with players to suit it, then equally baffling substitutions. Fans getting more frustrated every game. Pulled a rabbit out at Arsenal and Plymouth so taking presure off for the time being. The defence on Saturday was like watching ice sculptures at that set piece, and we all know you can't give Charlie Wyke that sort of opportunity, and its not the first time we have been caught out like that. Unless we turn this round quickly (and I dont see how that can happen frankly) he isn't convincing me that we will not be in a relegation battle come Christmas. I worry. 

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on October 03, 2017, 07:55:18 pm by RedJ »
I don't think we'd have won the league under him personally.

Based on what? the football might've been shite to watch but f**king hell it was effective, and he had that team running through brick walls for each other. I don't think it's any coincidence Cotterill went to shit after he left in terms of overall performances.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on October 03, 2017, 08:11:29 pm by dickos1 »
Amazes me how people go on about how good Saunders was when in actual fact he got us relegated out the league we were in and then got us promoted out the league below.
Identical to fergie, yet the same people slag one off and worship the other

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on October 03, 2017, 08:17:32 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Amazes me how people go on about how good Saunders was when in actual fact he got us relegated out the league we were in and then got us promoted out the league below.

But he didn't.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on October 03, 2017, 08:27:34 pm by dickos1 »
Yes you're right mate,
So he didn't even get us promoted out the league below,
Fergie got us relegated then got us promoted with ease yet he doesn't have a clue but Saunders is the messiah

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on October 03, 2017, 08:28:45 pm by since-1969 »
What players are worth any money in our squad that DF has brought in nothing. ? He is living on past glory’s from his Peterborough days. We are fed on promises of jam tomorrow.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on October 03, 2017, 08:31:06 pm by mushRTID »
Yes you're right mate,
Fergie got us relegated then got us promoted with ease yet he doesn't have a clue but Saunders is the messiah

Who is saying Saunders was the messiah?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on October 03, 2017, 08:32:02 pm by dickos1 »
Marquis, lawler, wright, Rowe,

They're definites

Arguably Blair, mason, Andrew

That enough for you

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on October 03, 2017, 08:34:20 pm by dickos1 »
Yes you're right mate,

Who is saying Saunders was the messiah?
Read the posts mate

Saunders built a team of experience and steel and left us in a very good position.

He had the team running though brick walls

The same people state ferguson is clueless

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on October 03, 2017, 08:41:46 pm by RedJ »
Because he doesn't have the team running through brick walls, and he's never since he's been here looked anything like getting us promoted out of this league.

Saunders may have got us relegated but we'd taken something daft like 1 point from the opening 6 games so we were already off to a shitter, and he also had the experiment to contend with. And until a late collapse we were a reasonable shout to survive.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #145 on October 03, 2017, 08:46:30 pm by dknward2 »
Fergie team or Saunders team who would win.

Or put it this way if if team fergie was losing with 15 mins to go would you expect them to go on and lose, now same question but with Saunders team.

Me I expect fergie May draw but Saunders team would definitely draw and maybe even win that team had a never say die never give in attitude, unfortunately fergies team doesn’t at this moment in time.

If we could find a way to get the team spirit and attitude of Saunders team and put it in team fergie then that would make a playoff team for sure

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on October 03, 2017, 08:48:42 pm by mushRTID »
Saunders team 1-0.

Rob Jones would score a late header.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on October 03, 2017, 09:04:31 pm by dickos1 »
Because he doesn't have the team running through brick walls, and he's never since he's been here looked anything like getting us promoted out of this league.

Saunders may have got us relegated but we'd taken something daft like 1 point from the opening 6 games so we were already off to a shitter, and he also had the experiment to contend with. And until a late collapse we were a reasonable shout to survive.
[/quote

Similar to ferguson then, taking over a side in the relegation zone and getting relegated, and then doing well in the league below.
Saunders then got relegated with wolves and did a shocking job with chesterfield

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on October 03, 2017, 09:04:52 pm by MrFrost »

Have you forgotten the circumstances in which we were relegated? He had a squad of 40 mainly foreign players in short term contracts.

He got on far better in league one that Fergie has.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on October 03, 2017, 09:09:25 pm by dickos1 »
So he should, he took over a championship side.
He agreed to those circumstances so must have thought he could keep us up just like ferguson did.
And both were quoted as pushing for promotion when taking over, both got relegated

TinyPortal © 2005-2012