Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 11:39:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Should Ferguson stay or go?

Stay
134 (70.9%)
Go
55 (29.1%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Stay or Go  (Read 18419 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Stay or Go
« Reply #90 on September 30, 2017, 08:53:19 pm by dickos1 »
No it wasn't
He took over a league 1 title winning side and left it the club in league 1 relegation zone

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on September 30, 2017, 08:56:10 pm by drfchound »
No it wasn't
He took over a league 1 title winning side and left it the club in league 1 relegation zone

He had one season in the Championship, a much harder division.
One season in mid table L1 and cruelly got into he top six then a start equal to Ferguson this time round before he was sacked.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on September 30, 2017, 08:58:58 pm by MrFrost »
No it wasn't

He had one season in the Championship, a much harder division.
One season in mid table L1 and cruelly got into he top six then a start equal to Ferguson this time round before he was sacked.

That's a point, we did actually break into the top six that season.

His record with us  at this level is better than Fergies

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on September 30, 2017, 09:01:00 pm by dickos1 »
Absolute rubbish you're both just ignoring that he took over a side that won the title and ferguson took over a side in the relegation zone.
You're comparing their records when one took over the side 22 places higher than the other.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on September 30, 2017, 09:13:14 pm by Dare to dream! »
The way this season is playing out the more it starts to feels like the start we had under Dickov which is worrying. I'm not calling for Ferguson's but it's not suprising his future is coming into question.

The Southend game is a must win now.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on September 30, 2017, 09:23:51 pm by drfchound »
To have a must win game so early in our season says it all, we are struggling.
I see that "go" percentage figure is creeping up.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on September 30, 2017, 09:32:28 pm by TheFunk »
Anyone who went today will have realised that the percentage of fans who want Fergie out is much higher than the poll on here. The players who came over especially Marquis were left in no doubt what the fans thought of them. For their second goal we were all shouting for someone to get the back post and guess what no one did.

VikingRich

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on September 30, 2017, 09:42:55 pm by VikingRich »
Heading towards the exit for me. 2 wins in 16 and not a home win in the league since April.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on September 30, 2017, 09:52:15 pm by drfchound »
People are panicking about who we would get if DF was asked to leave.
The thing is, we just don't know and we may just get someone who is a good fit and does really well.
Looking back, none of us had a clue who we would end up with when Dickov was sacked and I was underwhelmed when we got DF.
He was deemed to be the best of those shortlisted.
There are obviously going to be some very good managers out there looking for an opportunity.
When SoD came along many of us, including me, said "who" but that turned out ok.
There aren't many managers who avoid the sack eventually, it goes with the job and sometimes good managers fail at clubs when you wouldn't expect them to.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on September 30, 2017, 10:32:11 pm by dickos1 »
Sod turned out ok?
Just ok? 😂
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:44:37 pm by dickos1 »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on September 30, 2017, 11:20:53 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Bring back ROK.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on October 01, 2017, 12:16:08 am by RedJ »
Sod turned out ok?
Just ok? 😂

Christ you say we're the ones who are argumentative and you want to play f**king semantics?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on October 01, 2017, 12:18:33 am by dickos1 »
Was sod just ok?
Or was he the best manager we've ever had

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on October 01, 2017, 12:20:21 am by RedJ »
Again, you're just playing semantics now...

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on October 01, 2017, 12:42:45 pm by RoversAlias »
Dickos you're being ridiculous now. Hound turned a phrase, it comes across like you're arguing the toss over wording because your point of view has fallen to bits.

I'm not in the "Fergie Out" camp by the way, so I'm not just piling on.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on October 01, 2017, 01:22:57 pm by steve@dcfd »
These polls are a snapshot of posters on this forum. 166 people voted that’s about 3% of home supporters that go to games.

The results are not good at the moment will they improve we can all hope so.

We’ve had different managers over the years who have achieved good results and performances and also bad ones. Each manager have had their strengths and weaknesses but it all ends up with players on the field who achieve results.

Now the beginning of the season this forum was talking about the best midfield in the league, that was never true and it’s showing. The forum was saying we had a good strike force and their was no need to break the bank to get better. Yet if you look at stats we have created numerous chances in games but not taken them. Yesterday 17 shots with 7 on goal yet 0 goals.

There as always been concerns about the defence but apart from yesterday it’s not been our weakest link this season so far. Yet I believe we should have signed another centre half. Yet a competitive, consolidation budget can only go so far.

So should DF go, then I believe if he does the board are not capable to bring in a better replacement, they will not pay the money for a start. But it will be their decision, but if they do it get a lot worst before it gets better. Their 5 year plan will be in tatters it’s shown you need more than young players to be competitive in this league 1. 

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on October 01, 2017, 02:05:32 pm by vaya »
These polls are a snapshot of posters on this forum. 166 people voted that’s about 3% of home supporters that go to games.

The results are not good at the moment will they improve we can all hope so.

We’ve had different managers over the years who have achieved good results and performances and also bad ones. Each manager have had their strengths and weaknesses but it all ends up with players on the field who achieve results.

Now the beginning of the season this forum was talking about the best midfield in the league, that was never true and it’s showing. The forum was saying we had a good strike force and their was no need to break the bank to get better. Yet if you look at stats we have created numerous chances in games but not taken them. Yesterday 17 shots with 7 on goal yet 0 goals.

There as always been concerns about the defence but apart from yesterday it’s not been our weakest link this season so far. Yet I believe we should have signed another centre half. Yet a competitive, consolidation budget can only go so far.

So should DF go, then I believe if he does the board are not capable to bring in a better replacement, they will not pay the money for a start. But it will be their decision, but if they do it get a lot worst before it gets better. Their 5 year plan will be in tatters it’s shown you need more than young players to be competitive in this league 1. 

Steve, I am right in thinking that pre-season you argued the priority was to re-sign Marquis, and that we should effectively break the bank and pay upwards of £8k a week, and that the board wouldn't pay enough to retain him?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on October 01, 2017, 02:52:23 pm by steve@dcfd »
I never said break the bank, I was asked what I thought what his wages should be. I did say £8000 a week as a guess. I do believe again a guess we would have to pay more for a better striker with more experience at this level.

But I don’t have a problem with DF like others I believe he will get it right. We will consolidate.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:58:40 pm by steve@dcfd »

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on October 01, 2017, 02:57:14 pm by vaya »
I never said break the bank, I was asked what I thought what his wages should be. I did say £8000 a week as a guess.
But I don’t have a problem with DF like others I believe he will get it right. We will consolidate.
Thanks Steve.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on October 02, 2017, 12:01:19 pm by since-1969 »
What do the board think  :byebye:

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on October 02, 2017, 02:19:43 pm by bobjimwilly »
What do the board think  :byebye:

well seeing as though there's been no announcement of Fergie being sacked, maybe put 2+2 together?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on October 02, 2017, 02:21:54 pm by since-1969 »
Yeah like they can count 5

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on October 02, 2017, 05:28:11 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Yeah like they can count 5

...or string a sentence together  :silly: :lol:

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on October 02, 2017, 05:45:08 pm by nortikorner »
DICKOS1  and MRFROST  SHOW

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on October 02, 2017, 06:18:59 pm by essexrover »
Stay. For now ! We can't carry on  letting strikers have free headers, conceding very late goals etc etc. But things DO have to improve soon-ish.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on October 03, 2017, 09:33:49 am by RedJ »
Stay. For now ! We can't carry on  letting strikers have free headers, conceding very late goals etc etc. But things DO have to improve soon-ish.

People were saying that when it was "give him ten games".

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on October 03, 2017, 09:56:30 am by drfchound »
I do think that there are quite a number of supporters who are beginning to lean towards "go" but are reluctant to say so.

Managers come and go don't they but the club and the fans remain.

If DF is sacked we will obviously get someone new and who knows, we may well see an upturn in our fortunes on the pitch.

Maybe our owners are star struck by having Ferguson senior as a match day attendee.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on October 03, 2017, 10:04:25 am by Chris Black come back »
I suspect that while the “leave” camp is quite modest, there are very few after two years in the “this guy is doing a great job”.

Most folk probably in the “don’t want the disruption and will give him benefit of the doubt for a bit longer”.

I would pitch him below SOD, Penney and Saunders, and around same level as Dickov in recent years.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on October 03, 2017, 10:11:39 am by NickDRFC »
I do think that there are quite a number of supporters who are beginning to lean towards "go" but are reluctant to say so.

Managers come and go don't they but the club and the fans remain.

If DF is sacked we will obviously get someone new and who knows, we may well see an upturn in our fortunes on the pitch.

Maybe our owners are star struck by having Ferguson senior as a match day attendee.

Agree with most of that bar the last point; they're not teenagers, they are not going to keep employing a manager if they think he can't turn around our form just because they want to cosy up to his famous dad. I believe that they believe that DF is still the right man for the job (I'm undecided), and as soon as they think otherwise I've no doubt they will look to change it.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on October 03, 2017, 10:28:08 am by Chris Black come back »
I suspect that quite understandably given the laser-like focus of the Board on making the club financially sustainable, that the Ferguson record of picking up players young on modest wages and flogging them for big sums is quite attractive. There are many in this category in our current squad - Wright, Lawlor, Ben Khemis, Mason, May, Beestin, Garratt, Marquis etc.

Striking looking at that Saunders team of “mesters” how few of them had any resale value or were the right side of 30.

So whatever the results on the pitch I can see the attraction to the Board of Ferguson as a manager who fits neatly into the overall strategy for the club.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 10:31:50 am by Chris Black come back »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012