Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 08:05:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ferguson  (Read 6499 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Ferguson
« on October 04, 2017, 01:21:40 am by Sammy Chung was King »
To me he get's more leeway than other managers just because of who his dad is. You can't tell me that Dickov or any of the others would get the same patience. There is a kudos to our small time thinking to have him involved with us-''His old man might turn up and watch a few games!.
He inherited a mess he got things turned around when it wasn't expected that we would stay up then just as hopes were raised the team hit an almost impossibly bad run of form and got relegated. The teams confidence and direction comes from the manager his press interviews and the players smacked of 'Job done-guess what it wasn't!.

Last season he built a side and he got us promoted and he did a good job but yet again taking things for granted near the end in my opinion and we lost a title that was almost impossible to lose. There is something about him or his character that stops him winning trophies.
Yes he has quite a few promotions on his cv so obviously has talent as a manager but there is a problem coming from him just in his time with us in maintaining the squad concentration.
He is the leader you can make all the excuses you want he has been supported as much as the board feels able to and he has chosen the players who pull on our shirt.

My opinion is we've had one great month this season and this month has been terrible just looking at the cold hard facts of results. Having other managers saying you're the best team they have played so far doesn't get you three points.
We have taken a jump in class in being promoted so you have to expect a period of adaption to the league-the jump isn't massive but there are less weaker teams to beat up on.

Look throughout his managerial career and he has a habit of having sides who are 'flaky' defensively. Our side still lacks at times the mental toughness to see out a game or even a season.
At this level you need five or six solid dependable players then you add your bits of class around them. You need defenders who can defend, midfielders who do a bit of both defending and attacking and you need strikers who put the ball in the net.
Football is over complicated at times for me we don't have enough of those solid dependable types we are overbalanced with players who are fantastic on their day but can't do it on a regular basis.
Some of you will come back with ''If they were consistent they wouldn't be in league one!-that's rubbish. O'Driscoll, Saunders or any other manager in any league can get that consistency and to win things they have to be. It isn't easy if it was we could manage the side!.

If i was the manager i would be looking at myself on where i am going wrong. Am i recruiting the wrong players?-Do i have a personality that get's over confident at crucial times?. I would be saying to myself why don't i win trophies why do i fall short on that front?.
If you are going to win titles you need a settled back four. In midfield we have good technical players but where is the hard work? where are the ball winners?. How long is it since we had a regular out and out left footed left winger?.
As promising as Alfie May is why has he left Marquis on the bench when he got all those goals last season?.

For me we all have the right to ask these questions. I don't personally think it's the right time to be letting him go he's had one good and one bad month. He needs to be getting in a defensive minded coach-he needs to be playing a settled team. He needs a few characters in the place proper men in the midfield not just wishy washy in and out merchants who are great on their day.
We still need a few who will put they're foot in so the technical players can play. He needs energy but also experience in there not kids from youth teams.
I'm not sure the manager is the type who weighs up if it's him or not i don't know the fella personally but he is obviously not quite getting the results that his talent mostly deserves it needs a tweak here and there he's not far off. Tactically he's pretty good you can't have too many formations at this level it confuses matters. I don't see a team on the pitch that makes decisions and thinks for itself.
Between the man at the top and the players there are improvements to be made. Never mind ''Let's consolidate!-you can't write seasons off like that.

He needs time but also needs to improve as do the players. Yes we've been playing quite well but every team needs good results. When things are going wrong work harder!.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Ferguson
« Reply #1 on October 04, 2017, 02:49:36 am by RoversAlias »
It's late so I can't respond to all of that but on one bit, you asked why Marquis was left on the bench in favour of Alfie May? He's only left Marquis out for the Arsenal game, and frankly John has not out in great displays lately whereas May has out in effort, stepped up in quality and scored goals, one more than Marquis in fact.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 04, 2017, 07:36:53 am by DonnyOsmond »
I stopped reading at he gets extra leeway because of who his dad is.

Look at his past record and our past record giving managers time.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:04:54 am by DonnyOsmond »

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 04, 2017, 08:05:36 am by DaveDRFC »
I think it works the other way too. A lot of people dislike him and want him out just because of who his dad is.

I think he's doing a good job, we are playing entertaining football and I'm sure results will come. I don't think we'll get relegated which for me will be a successful season and we can push on next year.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 04, 2017, 08:52:38 am by SydneyRover »
I accept that the performance of the first team is the main game but you also have to look at how the club is managed as a whole and the reports that we read about that are good.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 04, 2017, 09:08:14 am by GazLaz »
I stopped reading at he gets extra leeway because of who his dad is.

Look at his past record and our past record giving managers time.

Haha so did I.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 04, 2017, 09:11:13 am by roversam »
To me he get's more leeway than other managers just because of who his dad is. You can't tell me that Dickov or any of the others would get the same patience. There is a kudos to our small time thinking to have him involved with us-''His old man might turn up and watch a few games!.
He inherited a mess he got things turned around when it wasn't expected that we would stay up then just as hopes were raised the team hit an almost impossibly bad run of form and got relegated. The teams confidence and direction comes from the manager his press interviews and the players smacked of 'Job done-guess what it wasn't!.

Last season he built a side and he got us promoted and he did a good job but yet again taking things for granted near the end in my opinion and we lost a title that was almost impossible to lose. There is something about him or his character that stops him winning trophies.
Yes he has quite a few promotions on his cv so obviously has talent as a manager but there is a problem coming from him just in his time with us in maintaining the squad concentration.
He is the leader you can make all the excuses you want he has been supported as much as the board feels able to and he has chosen the players who pull on our shirt.

My opinion is we've had one great month this season and this month has been terrible just looking at the cold hard facts of results. Having other managers saying you're the best team they have played so far doesn't get you three points.
We have taken a jump in class in being promoted so you have to expect a period of adaption to the league-the jump isn't massive but there are less weaker teams to beat up on.

Look throughout his managerial career and he has a habit of having sides who are 'flaky' defensively. Our side still lacks at times the mental toughness to see out a game or even a season.
At this level you need five or six solid dependable players then you add your bits of class around them. You need defenders who can defend, midfielders who do a bit of both defending and attacking and you need strikers who put the ball in the net.
Football is over complicated at times for me we don't have enough of those solid dependable types we are overbalanced with players who are fantastic on their day but can't do it on a regular basis.
Some of you will come back with ''If they were consistent they wouldn't be in league one!-that's rubbish. O'Driscoll, Saunders or any other manager in any league can get that consistency and to win things they have to be. It isn't easy if it was we could manage the side!.

If i was the manager i would be looking at myself on where i am going wrong. Am i recruiting the wrong players?-Do i have a personality that get's over confident at crucial times?. I would be saying to myself why don't i win trophies why do i fall short on that front?.
If you are going to win titles you need a settled back four. In midfield we have good technical players but where is the hard work? where are the ball winners?. How long is it since we had a regular out and out left footed left winger?.
As promising as Alfie May is why has he left Marquis on the bench when he got all those goals last season?.

For me we all have the right to ask these questions. I don't personally think it's the right time to be letting him go he's had one good and one bad month. He needs to be getting in a defensive minded coach-he needs to be playing a settled team. He needs a few characters in the place proper men in the midfield not just wishy washy in and out merchants who are great on their day.
We still need a few who will put they're foot in so the technical players can play. He needs energy but also experience in there not kids from youth teams.
I'm not sure the manager is the type who weighs up if it's him or not i don't know the fella personally but he is obviously not quite getting the results that his talent mostly deserves it needs a tweak here and there he's not far off. Tactically he's pretty good you can't have too many formations at this level it confuses matters. I don't see a team on the pitch that makes decisions and thinks for itself.
Between the man at the top and the players there are improvements to be made. Never mind ''Let's consolidate!-you can't write seasons off like that.

He needs time but also needs to improve as do the players. Yes we've been playing quite well but every team needs good results. When things are going wrong work harder!.
can't be arsed reading all that, you must have too much time on your hands 😴😴

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 04, 2017, 09:41:53 am by the vicar »
he gets so much leeway cos of he is sorting the club from bottom upwards and because we are not a sacking club it has nothing to do with his dad, if we sacked managers as much as some on here we would be changing managers every other month, stay with the club and we will come right   

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 04, 2017, 09:58:46 am by bobjimwilly »
he gets so much leeway cos of he is sorting the club from bottom upwards and because we are not a sacking club it has nothing to do with his dad, if we sacked managers as much as some on here we would be changing managers every other month, stay with the club and we will come right   

don't often agree with you vicar, but  :that:

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 04, 2017, 10:18:47 am by bobbymax »
I usually read your posts Sammy but that's just a big pile of  :turd:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 04, 2017, 11:28:47 am by RoversAlias »

Well said Vicar, fully agree.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 04, 2017, 11:43:59 am by drfchound »
I think it works the other way too. A lot of people dislike him and want him out just because of who his dad is.

I think he's doing a good job, we are playing entertaining football and I'm sure results will come. I don't think we'll get relegated which for me will be a successful season and we can push on next year.

I hope you are right about us not getting relegated.
A couple of years ago in February i said we could be in a relegation scrap if things didn't change soon and was poo pooed.
Look what happened then.
Right now i am sorry to say i am not as confident as you are about us being safe.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 04, 2017, 03:08:54 pm by Upton Rover »
Have you ever thought about writing short stories? You will be good at that

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 04, 2017, 03:41:08 pm by drfchound »
My opinion pal, i am entitled to express it, i hope you don't mind too much.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 04, 2017, 03:48:06 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Think his comment was aimed at Sammy, Hound.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 04, 2017, 03:50:15 pm by drfchound »
mmmm. Possibly.
Apologies then if i got it wrong.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 04, 2017, 04:27:19 pm by silent majority »

I also agree. We've been waiting years for somebody to grab hold of the playing side of this club and put it into some kind of shape, academy, youth and 1st team all needed it. We also don't want a reputation as a sacking club because when you do want to recruit someone decent you won't have the applicants.

GetDuerdenOn

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 04, 2017, 05:04:13 pm by GetDuerdenOn »
Youth team are currently well adrift at bottom of NE Alliance league with just 2 points from 6 games, U23's lost every game since being reintroduced and first team are struggling to get results in the league as we all know. Hes not exactly taking hold of the 'playing side' is he really.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 04, 2017, 05:12:34 pm by wilts rover »
It would be a good question to ask Fergie if anyone gets the opportunity: Do you think you get more leeway or does it put you under more scrutiny because of who your dad is?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 04, 2017, 05:18:21 pm by RedJ »

I also agree. We've been waiting years for somebody to grab hold of the playing side of this club and put it into some kind of shape, academy, youth and 1st team all needed it. We also don't want a reputation as a sacking club because when you do want to recruit someone decent you won't have the applicants.

We're hardly going to get a reputation as a sacking club considering our recent history with managers after relegation.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 04, 2017, 06:13:55 pm by silent majority »
Youth team are currently well adrift at bottom of NE Alliance league with just 2 points from 6 games, U23's lost every game since being reintroduced and first team are struggling to get results in the league as we all know. Hes not exactly taking hold of the 'playing side' is he really.

Do you see the irony in your post? Short-termism is an issue as well.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 04, 2017, 06:16:18 pm by silent majority »

We're hardly going to get a reputation as a sacking club considering our recent history with managers after relegation.

Understood. But if we got rid now after a promotion? Hmm, loyal to Managers who go through relegation but not promotion?

GetDuerdenOn

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 04, 2017, 06:36:46 pm by GetDuerdenOn »
Irony - no, hes been here now since 2015 - just posting fact that the youth team are presently bottom of their league with a terrible record and the U23s haven't won a game yet. It is also apparent that the 1st team are currently struggling to get results.

You argued that we had been waiting years for somebody to grab hold of the playing side of the club.

However much you prefer to look to the future (shall we say long-termism) the reality is that the 'playing side' of football is a results business and the above all indicate that Ferguson currently hasn't got a grip on it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:52:38 pm by GetDuerdenOn »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 04, 2017, 06:40:54 pm by silent majority »
Irony - no, just posting fact that the youth team are presently bottom of their league with a terrible record and the U23s haven't won a game yet. It is also apparent that the 1st team are currently struggling to get results.

You argued that we had been waiting years for somebody to grab hold of the playing side of the club.

However much you prefer to look to the future (shall we say long-termism) the reality is that the 'playing side' of football is a results business and the above all indicate that Ferguson currently hasn't got a grip on it.

Results and bugger everything else? So, no investment in the academy, no talent scouting or coaching because those teams currently aren't winning their respective divisions. The time to do something about that is now, not waiting until everything on the pitch is going our way.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 04, 2017, 07:02:54 pm by Lesonthewest »

Totally agree, we have to look at the bigger picture.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 04, 2017, 07:25:15 pm by graingrover »
My view is that DF fits our club well. All the young players I have heard interviewed  praise his personal coaching.That is a vital quality for a club trying to develop younger players rather than buy talent from other clubs at today's ridiculous prices .
      Disappointment at our poor early results may cause concern and nervous tension . I suggest a course on inner engineering .

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 04, 2017, 07:53:54 pm by Mr1Croft »

Understood. But if we got rid now after a promotion? Hmm, loyal to Managers who go through relegation but not promotion?

It’s consistent by our previous 20 years of managers

Ian Snodin: 0 Promotions 0 relegations SACKED
Steve Wignall: 0 Promotions 0 relegations SACKED
Dave Penney: 2 Promotions 0 relegations SACKED
Sean O’Driscoll: 1 Promotion 0 relegations SACKED
Dean Saunders: 0 Promotions 1 Relegation NOT SACKED
Brian Flynn: 1 Promotion 0 Relegations SACKED*
Paul Dickov: 0 Promotions 1 Relegation SACKED**

*Technically resigned but we all know he was pushed to save embarrassment because the club wasn’t going to offer the only manager to win the Third Tier (as a national league) the job full time.
**Sacked 16 months after relegation.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 04, 2017, 10:25:51 pm by RedJ »
Flynn technically didn't resign if we're being pedantic, he took up another role within the organisation.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 05, 2017, 02:26:10 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I'm not somebody who thinks everything is all bad or all good even with bad managers there will be plus points. To put it frankly i don't think he is half as good a manager as he thinks he is and many of you do.
I don't see this mass revolution where he has changed the club immeasurably. When he took over he rubbished how everything was being run many bought it and it's done what he intended allowed him more space to work.
I know getting a youth system organised and firing takes time but do you think the system is much different than before he came?-i don't.
Are the results this season so far much better than when we have played here before at this standard?.

Last season i thought he did a good job for most of the season- just near the end his side somehow managed to mess it up.
 In this league in the relegation season and so far this i don't see much improvement on even Dickov we don't look any more organised.
There is time for him to make me look a right tit but i don't see that organisation and spirit in the side that has got us promotions before. Fair enough many will say let's just stay in this league for a season and build from there- but will the league get any weaker and our budget get bigger-no they won't. Will the manager improve i don't think he will!.

Yes i get we are league one standard it's probably around where we should be but i'm not convinced this manager is capable of building a side good enough to win a title. He recruits talent that lacks in bottle. He seems to go for the younger guys he can deal with but the older guy with an opinion he avoids like the plague.
It's just my opinion but i feel his influence lessening and other managers quite a few times getting the better of him-they know what to expect.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 05, 2017, 08:15:26 am by drfchound »
My view is that DF fits our club well. All the young players I have heard interviewed  praise his personal coaching.That is a vital quality for a club trying to develop younger players rather than buy talent from other clubs at today's ridiculous prices .
      Disappointment at our poor early results may cause concern and nervous tension . I suggest a course on inner engineering .

All the young players you have heard being interviewed are very unlikely to say that his coaching methods are poor are they.
No one who wants to get on in life slags off the gaffer in public.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012