Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 12:24:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis  (Read 5921 times)

Rich_The_Conisbrough_Rover

• Forum Member
Marquis
« on October 22, 2017, 10:48:02 am by Rich_The_Conisbrough_Rover »
I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet, but.. how on earth did he practically miss an open net? It was a simple tap in but no.. he tried to be cocky and arrogant and side foot the ball in to the side netting, just put your foot through the bloody ball for Christ sake and make sure of it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Marquis
« Reply #1 on October 22, 2017, 11:05:45 am by since-1969 »
We bring in an other striker that hasn’t been able to start yet ( no fault to him ) you would think that Marquis would have stepped up his game knowing that we can’t change anything due to the Loan Rules and as he was given what is generally excepted as an improved deal that Marquis could live up to his billing but yesterday he showed his REAL ability. IMO he isn’t good enough without an effective partner to help him get behind the defence.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 22, 2017, 11:16:21 am by GazLaz »
What is it that makes a half decent pro footballer miss a chance like that? It’s not lack of ability.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 22, 2017, 02:42:28 pm by glosterred »
If we had any other striker fit that could lead the line then he'd be on the bench. On his recent form I'd have dropped him but for the fact we don't have a striker to replace him. Hope William's is fit for. Saturday.

COYR

Heffs right foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 22, 2017, 02:55:42 pm by Heffs right foot »
According to a snout, spoke with Williams outside the ground yesterday, and he was fit...in the squad in the morning ...then DF pulled him out. According to source not happy...How true unknown, I wasn't there, but seemed genuine enough to me.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 22, 2017, 10:31:47 pm by StocksArmy »
My god if Williams is our saviour I am done with the club. He and Marquis are an embarrassment to watch. Seriously they are that bad IMO. Both need shipping out if at all possible, and someone (anyone) bringing in. Mandeville also not good enough. Is he even a striker? Anyway, after yesterday for the first time I have jumped on the Fergie out bandwagon. He has to go now. The team looks as disjointed as it was when he took charge. It is beyond painful to watch.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 23, 2017, 08:49:11 am by chrisd_123 »
According to a snout, spoke with Williams outside the ground yesterday, and he was fit...in the squad in the morning ...then DF pulled him out. According to source not happy...How true unknown, I wasn't there, but seemed genuine enough to me.

I was in the legends lounge on Saturday and he did an interview Pre-Game. He said it was the physio who told him and Ferguson that he wouldn't be playing. The physio didn't want to risk him after the big injury he had pre-season too. Said he'd be back for next week.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 23, 2017, 08:52:05 am by chrisd_123 »
My god if Williams is our saviour I am done with the club. He and Marquis are an embarrassment to watch. Seriously they are that bad IMO. Both need shipping out if at all possible, and someone (anyone) bringing in. Mandeville also not good enough. Is he even a striker? Anyway, after yesterday for the first time I have jumped on the Fergie out bandwagon. He has to go now. The team looks as disjointed as it was when he took charge. It is beyond painful to watch.

Mandeville isn't a striker for me. He's an attacking midfielder. He's best playing behind a striker like Williams and/or May who can create space for him. Saturday we were lumping the ball to him and that's not his game.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 23, 2017, 10:39:00 am by bobbymax »
You've jumped on quite a few bandwagons there! Careful you don't fall down the cracks!

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 23, 2017, 11:47:04 am by VivaRovers »
On the subject of Marquis, could we possibly tether him to the opposition goal with a 45 metre rope?

The more things don't go for him, the deeper and deeper he drops to try and get involved. He's no use to anyone in (or even behind) our midfield. The best thing Ferguson, or anyone, could do right now is tell Marquis to stay up front and threaten to sub him off the moment he's less than 7 Rovers players from our goal.

watto-drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 23, 2017, 01:03:58 pm by watto-drfc »
Marquis done nothing since signing new contract.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 23, 2017, 01:23:55 pm by selby »
  To blame our strikers is criminal,we are not good enough in mid field,I posted last week that although it did not work at Bradford a

Rich_The_Conisbrough_Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 23, 2017, 01:38:30 pm by Rich_The_Conisbrough_Rover »
  To blame our strikers is criminal,we are not good enough in mid field,I posted last week that although it did not work at Bradford a

What! So missing a straight forward tap in by our main striker, you don’t blame him for doing so?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 23, 2017, 01:47:03 pm by selby »
  Sorry must have sent the post by mistake before finishing.
    although it did not work at Charlton or Bradford I would not start with Coppinger to get him 100% fit. That was a mistake the strikers were given balls to feet,and very rarely did we try to turn their back four to give the strikers a chance.
    Add the lack of width down the right wing and they had little chance to get in the area.
  Chambers had a field day playing in front of their back four,just as Bishop for Scunthorpe.Appart from Rowe and Coppinger we have no mid field players who can run at, and unsettle those types of players, and without Blair we have no width or players to get in the centres strikers require.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 23, 2017, 01:54:12 pm by selby »
  Yes Rich I do,the same as I blame Alfie for missing a probably easier one against Shrewsbury,and the same player who missed one against Bradford,but I cannot remember many posting on here about those misses.
   Marquis is our best allround striker,Mandeville is our best finisher in front of goal,but the service to them on Saturday was way below par.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 23, 2017, 02:25:51 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I saw Marquis get frustrated when he had no option to pass to as no one had come to him. He also dropped deeper when we were on an attack to offer an outlet to pass to. Movement of our players is shocking. I witnessed Toffolo run down to the center, stop and have no options, Whiteman could have easily ran closer to him and he would have had about 5 options after he'd got the ball.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 23, 2017, 02:58:03 pm by drfchound »
There were times in the second half when we commented that there was no one willing to make a run and show themselves available to receive a pass.
The player in posession then had to turn and play backwards or sideways.

As for the miss by JM, well yes it was bad one and he knows it.
Better players than him have missed easier ones.
If he had put it away we would probably have won the game.

Overall though i thought he had a decent enough game.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 23, 2017, 07:49:37 pm by i_ateallthepies »
The best players miss seemingly easy chances.  He's only dropping deep because he's getting no service.  If the midfield were doing their job he'd be banging them in and revelling in it. 

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 23, 2017, 07:53:49 pm by Chris Black come back »
On the subject of Marquis, could we possibly tether him to the opposition goal with a 45 metre rope?

The more things don't go for him, the deeper and deeper he drops to try and get involved. He's no use to anyone in (or even behind) our midfield. The best thing Ferguson, or anyone, could do right now is tell Marquis to stay up front and threaten to sub him off the moment he's less than 7 Rovers players from our goal.

Blink and you will miss him. Take your eye off the ball and there he is sitting in front of Wright and Butler wrestling with Baudry to bring the ball out of defence. Like nothing I have ever seen.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 23, 2017, 07:54:35 pm by Donnybax »
A lot of the time the movement up front is non existent so providing chances for that is extremely difficult.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 23, 2017, 08:07:17 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Marquis done nothing since signing new contract.

Five league goals...more than any other player...

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 23, 2017, 08:17:44 pm by steve@dcfd »
  Yes Rich I do,the same as I blame Alfie for missing a probably easier one against Shrewsbury,and the same player who missed one against Bradford,but I cannot remember many posting on here about those misses.
   Marquis is our best allround striker,Mandeville is our best finisher in front of goal,but the service to them on Saturday was way below par.

But Mandeville has scored one league goal and did far less than Marquis yet does not get any flack strange. On Saturday I agree they where below par but the service was poor because of the system.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 23, 2017, 08:27:54 pm by Bentley Bullet »

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 23, 2017, 09:01:48 pm by balbyrover »
He had a brilliant season last year. We've gone up a league and hes still got 5 goals so far.. if he continues at this rate he will hit 15? Not a bad return.  Especially when you take into account we have been one of the poorer teams in the league upto now.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 23, 2017, 09:27:50 pm by Paul Simpson »
Give the guys a break! So much negativity on the team. There’s no wonder they aren’t performing .
So many injuries to the squad . Big players out injured, kiwomya, Danny Andrew , McCullough, willo etc. There’s no wonder we’re struggling! Can’t blame the manager for that surely. We’d be flying with a fully fit squad imo.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 23, 2017, 09:30:51 pm by Chris Black come back »
Hiya Darren. You not have to be up early tomorrow for training?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 23, 2017, 10:03:01 pm by NickDRFC »
He had a brilliant season last year. We've gone up a league and hes still got 5 goals so far.. if he continues at this rate he will hit 15? Not a bad return.  Especially when you take into account we have been one of the poorer teams in the league upto now.

He might have 5 goals but his goals per minute ratio is only 7 minutes better than Kongolo. Kongolo is hardly getting a lot of praise so surely that tells you JM is underperforming.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 23, 2017, 10:07:49 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I wasn't being negative Marquis. I was being positive Alfie!

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 23, 2017, 10:22:13 pm by Lesonthewest »
You've jumped on quite a few bandwagons there! Careful you don't fall down the cracks!

Count me on those bandwagons then, one striker is a pale shadow of last season, the other is just seeing his contract out.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 23, 2017, 10:34:43 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Alfie's the most prolific! .......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/doncaster-rovers/top-scorers

It's the league where it really counts BB and he's scored more in the league than all the other strikers put together.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012