Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 09:19:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Wigan game  (Read 8962 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Wigan game
« on November 19, 2017, 08:33:23 am by selby »
  Another tough away game across the border,perhaps made harder with their result against Bradford yesterday.
  They will be looking to get back to winning ways as soon as possible to carry on with their promotion push,and we will probably have to be at our best to carry on our little unbeaten run.
  Will we stay with our one up front formation?
  Will Coppinger play two games in four days?
  Will our very good away support be at Wigan in numbers?
  If Coppinger does not play who will come into the side? 
  If we go unbeaten will our support still think the game turgid and insipid (most probably)?
  Are  the Wigan pies really the best sold at football grounds?
  All questions to discuss and many more,What do you think?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the Wigan game
« Reply #1 on November 19, 2017, 09:38:58 am by drfchound »
TBH selby, I don’t mind us setting up to be hard to beat, especially away at places like Wigan.
Another away point would be a good return on two tough games.

DF seems to have learned from some of his mistakes and is apparently happy to be playing with a more cautious approach against the better teams.

We have had some good results against Wigan in recent seasons and with them having lost at home on Saturday the pressure will be more on them than us, which could work in our favour.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 19, 2017, 12:33:48 pm by selby »
 Some old foes in their  team line up Morsey,Roberts and the manager Cooke from hard games against Chesterfield.
  Coppinger,if he plays owes Morsey one for a terrible tackle at Chesterfield that if memory serves cost Copps a few weeks out injured.
  Roberts was avery good player at this level but has not pulled any trees up since leaving Chesterfield,and the Wigan crowd do not rate their goalkeeper that much.
  Although they seem have been everyones favourite team to storm the division at the start of the season,other teams including Shrewsbury seem to have other ideas,and the poition of favourites seems to be lying heavy on their shoulders.The fact that I was told at the Rotherham game they have offered £400k for the Ipswich centre forward playing at Rotherham says they are not the finished article,and if we play well we could come away with a result. Lets hope so.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 19, 2017, 12:51:29 pm by Donnywolf »
Some old foes in their  team line up Morsey,Roberts and the manager Cooke from hard games against Chesterfield.
  Coppinger,if he plays owes Morsey one for a terrible tackle at Chesterfield that if memory serves cost Copps a few weeks out injured.

Yes after about 9 minutes wasn't it ? We were looking "good" and they knew where the danger was coming from

Copps was out as you say for weeks

Anyway back to Wigan ...

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 19, 2017, 03:56:26 pm by Retdon1 »
I think whiteman will come in for copps, and it wouldn't surprise me if he starts Mason instead of either of the wing backs..... a point will be a great result for us. If we a can get an early goal, they will start to feel the pressure, and we can achieve a positive result... we don't have a bad record their either.... roll on Tuesday.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 19, 2017, 05:10:04 pm by selby »
  Firstly let me say that I hope Coppinger at least starts the game,as an oldie myself I think that people think too much about players ages, and their ability to play two matches close together in this country. I dont think it is so important in other countries such as Italy,and older players are picked for  what they can bring to the team if they are match fit.
  But if he is not picked I would still stick with Marquis as the loan striker if thats how it is labeled.Whiteman would I think be thought of as the logical replacement by most supporters and I would not argue with that,but I would be very tempted to  try Mandeville in a direct swop and into the role that Coppinger plays.
  I think that it could result in him finding his best position,he is the a player with the ability and close control to beat a marker,and can execute and see a pass.When he has played in the first team he has mostly played as a second striker,but in the Cheka Trade,and in the development games I have watched he has been at his best when playing slightly behind a striker in the Coppinger role,and has still had the ability to score and be a threat in front of goal,as against Scunthorpe in the C.T.
  Having said all  that,as I said if Copps is up for it, and the rest are fit, I would make no changes from the team that started at Fleetwood. All hypothetical,But what do you think?

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 19, 2017, 05:34:52 pm by anne honemous »
This is one of those games where I fear we could get tonked.

However, if we go there and manage to produce one of our better displays, we could just as easily pinch a cheeky 1-0 win or something.

I don't expect us to win.
If we get a draw, I'd very happy.
If we got a win then I'd be chuffing delighted.

Whatever happens at Wigan, I sincerely hope we can follow it up with an impressive performance (and preferably a win) against MK Dons, otherwise it'll be Groundhog Day, Part 325 of our season so far.

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 19, 2017, 07:14:52 pm by besty »
MY home game hoorah, apart from again its not on a Saturday.

Nobody has tonked us and  dont think they will here,Blackburn away anyone?

1-1 draw cant wait!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 19, 2017, 07:18:09 pm by drfchound »
  Firstly let me say that I hope Coppinger at least starts the game,as an oldie myself I think that people think too much about players ages, and their ability to play two matches close together in this country. I dont think it is so important in other countries such as Italy,and older players are picked for  what they can bring to the team if they are match fit.
  But if he is not picked I would still stick with Marquis as the loan striker if thats how it is labeled.Whiteman would I think be thought of as the logical replacement by most supporters and I would not argue with that,but I would be very tempted to  try Mandeville in a direct swop and into the role that Coppinger plays.
  I think that it could result in him finding his best position,he is the a player with the ability and close control to beat a marker,and can execute and see a pass.When he has played in the first team he has mostly played as a second striker,but in the Cheka Trade,and in the development games I have watched he has been at his best when playing slightly behind a striker in the Coppinger role,and has still had the ability to score and be a threat in front of goal,as against Scunthorpe in the C.T.
  Having said all  that,as I said if Copps is up for it, and the rest are fit, I would make no changes from the team that started at Fleetwood. All hypothetical,But what do you think?

Unless Copps is injured I hope and expect that he will start the game.
It is regularly reported that he is right up there as one of the fittest members of the squad.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 19, 2017, 07:37:58 pm by The Red Baron »
My biggest concern is that they lost at home yesterday so will be smarting from that.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 19, 2017, 07:41:22 pm by drfchound »
My biggest concern is that they lost at home yesterday so will be smarting from that.

Yep, agreed but it also puts pressure on them to win.
A draw only gives them one point from six in two home games, a defeat would be a total disaster for them.
If we have a good start to the game it could make it a tough night for Wigan.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 19, 2017, 11:25:48 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
I've backed us to lose in the PvO but it would be very Rovers-ish if we went and won.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 19, 2017, 11:30:05 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I fancy May to return after to the bench and come on to score in a 2-1 win!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 20, 2017, 01:56:15 am by selby »
DonnyBaz, thats another talking point,if we carry on with our present one up front,Where do you see Alfie getting in the team? or will he become a bit part player,used as a sub as Whiteman and Mandeville?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 20, 2017, 08:17:08 am by The Red Baron »
It wouldn't be too difficult to switch from 3-4-2-1 to 3-5-2. We would probably do it if chasing a game.

My feeling is we will be more likely to play two up front at home. I don't think Alfie is ready yet - possibly the Checkatrade next week or the FA Cup.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 20, 2017, 11:14:56 am by steve@dcfd »
DonnyBaz, thats another talking point,if we carry on with our present one up front,Where do you see Alfie getting in the team? or will he become a bit part player,used as a sub as Whiteman and Mandeville?

I’d put May in Copps or Rowe position. They should be getting into the box as well as Marquis they are not. Both are Luxury players at the moment, both technically good but like the rest of the side are found wanting offensively and do not contribute defensively. At least with Alfie he would break a gut to get in the box and get back to assist defensively.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 20, 2017, 12:02:22 pm by selby »
  Steve ,Mandeville has played the position before well, and has probably scored more goals to minutes on the field than Alfie,and is the cleverer more talented player.
     Alfie is a crowd favourite because of his effort and being seen as a player plucked from nowhere,do I like him yes, I just think that from what I have seen of the players we have got, Mandeville is best suited to supporting a lone striker from a withdrawn position up front in the Rowe Coppinger role.
   If Marquis is injured Alfie is the ideal man up front,or to come on as a substitute.But at the moment for this Wigan game,injuries apart I would play the same team as at Fleetwood.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 20, 2017, 12:24:52 pm by steve@dcfd »
  Steve ,Mandeville has played the position before well, and has probably scored more goals to minutes on the field than Alfie,and is the cleverer more talented player.
     Alfie is a crowd favourite because of his effort and being seen as a player plucked from nowhere,do I like him yes, I just think that from what I have seen of the players we have got, Mandeville is best suited to supporting a lone striker from a withdrawn position up front in the Rowe Coppinger role.
   If Marquis is injured Alfie is the ideal man up front,or to come on as a substitute.But at the moment for this Wigan game,injuries apart I would play the same team as at Fleetwood.

This is where we disagree Mandeville is technically is good but that’s where it stops. He as no pace he is easily taken off the ball and in league 1 is not good enough. Like you I was at the last development game where he was poor along with Williams. Also he’s scored 1 goal in 544 minutes per goal and Alfie scored 5 had Two assists in 192 min per goal. Alfie as played overall twice as many minutes.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 20, 2017, 12:29:00 pm by selby »
  You  are not counting the games last season then,do it first team game for game

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 20, 2017, 12:29:51 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Certainly think May will have to be content with a place on the bench when the time comes. There is a case for resorting to two up front at home so, likely that Kongolo would be sacrificed.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 20, 2017, 12:41:28 pm by graingrover »
Paul Cook has called on a section of the Wigan Athletic fanbase to eradicate the ‘negativity’ he felt was in the air during Saturday’s home defeat to Bradford City. A stoppage-time strike from Tyrell Robinson handed Latics their first loss in the league at the DW Stadium for eight months, after Chey Dunkley had equalised Charlie Wyke’s opener for the Bantams. And while admitting his men were second best for the majority of an absorbing encounter, Cook says they weren’t helped by some moaning and groaning from the stands. “What supporters do – and rightly so – is they watch a game and they voice an opinion,” he told the Wigan Post. “But more and more in the modern game, those opinions are based on a game-by-game basis. In my opinion, that is not how to manage it. “All of a sudden our crowd were a little bit niggly towards one or two of the players – and that’s not the way. That’s a job for me and the club to do. “Getting after your own players will never, ever work. “It will only result in negativity spreading round.

Read more at: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/latics/cook-disappointed-at-negativity-spreading-round-1-8866129

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 20, 2017, 01:05:59 pm by The Red Baron »
Paul Cook has called on a section of the Wigan Athletic fanbase to eradicate the ‘negativity’ he felt was in the air during Saturday’s home defeat to Bradford City. A stoppage-time strike from Tyrell Robinson handed Latics their first loss in the league at the DW Stadium for eight months, after Chey Dunkley had equalised Charlie Wyke’s opener for the Bantams. And while admitting his men were second best for the majority of an absorbing encounter, Cook says they weren’t helped by some moaning and groaning from the stands. “What supporters do – and rightly so – is they watch a game and they voice an opinion,” he told the Wigan Post. “But more and more in the modern game, those opinions are based on a game-by-game basis. In my opinion, that is not how to manage it. “All of a sudden our crowd were a little bit niggly towards one or two of the players – and that’s not the way. That’s a job for me and the club to do. “Getting after your own players will never, ever work. “It will only result in negativity spreading round.

Read more at: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/latics/cook-disappointed-at-negativity-spreading-round-1-8866129

So, first job tomorrow is to silence the crowd. If we can get them on the home players' backs, so much the better.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 20, 2017, 01:23:58 pm by Alan Southstand »
Selby, if you are counting last season's games, Marquis had one hell of a scoring rate last season but so far, according to some bright sparks on here, even he is not good enough! So, where does that leave Mandeville? You simply cannot compare what anyone did last season in league 2, we are in a much tougher league now and it's finding one or two in our first team out.

Alfie has the edge, for me, on both Mandeville and Williams at the moment, but only if he comes back from injury firing on all cylinders.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 20, 2017, 01:53:08 pm by selby »
A.S.I am only stating my personnel preffererence and would not be upset if Alfie starts and would support him 100% and hope with everything I have got that he did well.
  I  just find it hard to see where he fits in in the present formation, unless it was to replace Marquis,and then with reservations about his stature against big lumps down the middle.
  I do think that if Coppinger or Rowe were injured then Mandeville would be the best replacement, if we were to keep the one up front formation.
  The reason I started these threads was to get people to discuss our team and club between ourselves,and to see other peoples thoughts.I hope that they are doing that and people will join in say their piece and be constructive,I have been pleasantly surprised up to press and would like to thank everyone who has participated and hope that they will continue to do so and enjoy the banter.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 20, 2017, 02:21:23 pm by steve@dcfd »
According to today’s press conference Alfie won’t be back in full training for another seven to ten days. So he won’t be available to play until December.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 20, 2017, 04:15:07 pm by selby »
  I hope we do not rush him back before he is 100%  fit. Although I think he is one of those players who will want to be back as soon as possible.
  As Fergie pointed out we will need all our players this season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 21, 2017, 01:23:22 pm by selby »
 Looks like a wet miserable night at Wigan,some of our fans have already got misgivings about the referee,according to Fergie we are playing the best team in this league,and some people did not want them to lose to Bradford the game before we play them.
  They are the reasons I have a good feeling about this game,I actually think we can do it tonight.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 21, 2017, 03:05:23 pm by donnievic »
To late to take ticket back to office so have a spare if anyone is after one

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 21, 2017, 03:08:18 pm by wing commander »
I think if we are honest we would all take a point..

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 21, 2017, 07:23:20 pm by Avsuptem »
Donny at 19-4 on sky bet is well worth a punt. Given a fair wind we are good enough to win this game in my opinion.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012