Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 12:47:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 4 players needed in January  (Read 7307 times)

anne honemous

• Forum Member
4 players needed in January
« on December 16, 2017, 07:46:26 pm by anne honemous »
In order of preference...

- Someone experienced in midfield, preferably defensive minded, who is capable of holding us together and has a bit of bite and nastiness to stop us turning to apple crumble in the last few minutes.

- A left-back who will be a replaced for Toffolo and Andrew. Doesn't necessarily have to be experienced or a long term/permanent signing, as long as they can handle the rigours of League One.

- A good out and out winger who isn't scared of being forward, taking players on, making runs, etc.

- Someone who is prepared to commit in the box and have a shot - a replacement for Williams who you like, who has become a bit of an expensive liability and is always injured. We need goals so we need to start looking for a gambling frontman now, not wait until the summer to do our business.

- Optional, fifth choice, if McCullough isn't close to a return soon as he's been a big miss, someone else at centre back to give us extra cover. Again, preferably an experienced player.

It's all well and good that we have lots of young players, but without these additions it's going to be a frustrating second half of the season.

I hope the board support DF in allowing him what's needed.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: 4 players needed in January
« Reply #1 on December 16, 2017, 07:48:16 pm by since-1969 »
That’s not going to happen . A loan or two but we’ve haven’t the funds without getting players off the books .

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 16, 2017, 07:49:55 pm by GazLaz »
We don’t play with wingers and and “defensive” centre mid would have to replace Houghton who is class.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 16, 2017, 08:01:27 pm by anne honemous »
We don’t play with wingers and and “defensive” centre mid would have to replace Houghton who is class.

Maybe allowing Houghton to play a different role would take him to an even better level as a player?

And maybe the lack of width is a reason why we've been struggling to kick on properly for a number of games now?

The amount of times Marquis got dragged into wide areas today was ridiculous. If we're going to score goals, we need balls into the box and we need our best finishers in the box.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 16, 2017, 08:11:42 pm by RugbyRover »
Tofflo & Kongolo will both be going back to their parent clubs. This will free up some cash to get two players in.

- a right back to replace Mason, who does a steady job, but doesn't have the pace needed.
- a partner for Big John, to replace Alfie, Alfie, Liam & Andy. Non of whom are good enough.....though a couple of 'em could develop into really good players.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 16, 2017, 08:34:13 pm by silent majority »
That’s not going to happen . A loan or two but we’ve haven’t the funds without getting players off the books .

How do you know? What evidence do you have for such a statement?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 16, 2017, 08:43:47 pm by The Red Baron »
Two full-backs, a midfielder and a striker for me. I would like to see Mandeville given a run as a starter alongside Marquis although I appreciate that is unlikely to happen. Beestin has made three starts since making an impact as a sub. That's how he should be used for now.

Going back to the o/p, why do we need a CB when we have a good one who can't get a start?

talksbollox

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 16, 2017, 08:53:46 pm by talksbollox »
No, we just need a new manager

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 16, 2017, 08:53:53 pm by steve@dcfd »

No supporters know what the boards plans are. We see the players we have on the pitch and make assumptions based on that. We don’t know whether these were DFs first choice players or ones he could afford at that time.

What we do know last time in League 1 a collective decision was made not to strengthen the side and we got relegated. So let’s hope the board allow DF the funds to get players he wants. Also we all hope he uses the funds to bring in players that will go straight into the first team and make a vast improvement.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 16, 2017, 08:57:26 pm by anne honemous »
Two full-backs, a midfielder and a striker for me. I would like to see Mandeville given a run as a starter alongside Marquis although I appreciate that is unlikely to happen. Beestin has made three starts since making an impact as a sub. That's how he should be used for now.

Going back to the o/p, why do we need a CB when we have a good one who can't get a start?

Purely for cover purposes.

If we can get McCullough fit some time in the near future, then it's not an issue.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 16, 2017, 09:05:32 pm by steve@dcfd »
McCullough was a bit part player in 2015/2016 season he played 32 games. In League 2 season he played 7 games due to injury. He still has not played this season. He still not in training. There are bigger priorities in the transfer window. If he can get fit at 23 he can progress.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 16, 2017, 10:59:28 pm by silent majority »

No supporters know what the boards plans are. We see the players we have on the pitch and make assumptions based on that. We don’t know whether these were DFs first choice players or ones he could afford at that time.

What we do know last time in League 1 a collective decision was made not to strengthen the side and we got relegated. So let’s hope the board allow DF the funds to get players he wants. Also we all hope he uses the funds to bring in players that will go straight into the first team and make a vast improvement.

Are you sure about that? You and your assumptions!!

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 16, 2017, 11:07:03 pm by anne honemous »

We'll see what happens, but if adequate players don't come in then the board would deserve all the criticism they would get for not doing their best to strengthen our chances of staying in this league.

I have no doubts we have a fairly okay budget, certainly not as huge as some are led to believe, but it's probably skewed in the sense that high earners are on very good money and low earners are on very low money.

Whatever it is though, the board aren't short of a bob or two and hopefully they will sensibly support DF in bringing in the players he wants to help us have a better second half of the season.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 16, 2017, 11:28:13 pm by Chris Black come back »
They are under no compulsion! As far as I recall, they are still putting in hundreds of thousands, if not millions, to cover our losses each season.

They are giving adequate tools to the management team. How they spend it is down to them. Folk can reach their own judgement on whether is has or is being spent well.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 16, 2017, 11:45:09 pm by anne honemous »
They are under no compulsion! As far as I recall, they are still putting in hundreds of thousands, if not millions, to cover our losses each season.

They are giving adequate tools to the management team. How they spend it is down to them. Folk can reach their own judgement on whether is has or is being spent well.

That's all well and good, however, if it come to the worst case scenario and we got relegated then there would be absolutely nobody thanking the board for being prudent and sticking to the budget when it's clear to everyone we need adequate reinforcements - and the January transfer window is the only chance for that to happen.

FWIW, I don't think we will go down - even with this squad I think we're capable of mustering up 53/54 points which should just about guarantee us absolute safety.

But I don't want to see us taking a gamble and not strengthening. If it goes tits up, as it did two years ago because we didn't properly strengthen, then answers will be needed from people much higher up than the departing manager.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 17, 2017, 01:52:44 am by Bessie Red »
No, we just need a new manager
I can see why you have that username now!!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 17, 2017, 09:30:48 am by idler »

That's all well and good, however, if it come to the worst case scenario and we got relegated then there would be absolutely nobody thanking the board for being prudent and sticking to the budget when it's clear to everyone we need adequate reinforcements - and the January transfer window is the only chance for that to happen.

FWIW, I don't think we will go down - even with this squad I think we're capable of mustering up 53/54 points which should just about guarantee us absolute safety.

But I don't want to see us taking a gamble and not strengthening. If it goes tits up, as it did two years ago because we didn't properly strengthen, then answers will be needed from people much higher up than the departing manager.
The main thing is to stay in this division but if we struggle to do this and manage to cling on in the last game we will need an even bigger rebuild in the summer. If we could bring the right players in in January and get some momentum going forward it would give us something to build on for next season and probably increase season ticket sales.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 17, 2017, 09:39:58 am by dickos1 »

We have 10 players injured and no means to replace them until January.
We could have the biggest budget outside the premier league but if half are squad are injured and you can't replace them then you're obviously in trouble.

Not everything is as black and white as you try to portray

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 17, 2017, 10:36:07 am by Chris Black come back »
It might - just might - maybe - be the case that other teams in this league also have key players out injured long-term. Crazy thinking I know, but injuries do not just occur in the DN4 postcode.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:41:42 am by Chris Black come back »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 17, 2017, 10:39:58 am by dickos1 »
I'm sure they do mucker,
Maybe not 2 key new signings only playing 3/4 games between them, I'm not sure any other side will have had a bench as young as ours yesterday.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 17, 2017, 12:21:33 pm by RedJ »

Aye but it's not the board's fault if the manager goes and spunks his budget on players that aren't good enough or aren't right.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 17, 2017, 01:39:16 pm by anne honemous »

Aye but it's not the board's fault if the manager goes and spunks his budget on players that aren't good enough or aren't right.

It's up to the manager who he signs. Either way, by the end of the transfer window, I'm sure there will be some people happy with our signings and others that are unhappy with our signings.

The point is the board have to make funds available for DF to strengthen the team.

If they don't, they deserve to be the ones questioned for gambling unnecessarily with our League 1 status.

Only time will tell...

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 17, 2017, 01:53:26 pm by RedJ »
Of course it's up to the manager. But they can't force him to sign players, either. Like he wanted to go for the likes of Gooch rather than a defender last time. Maybe the money wasn't there for an experienced pro, I don't know, but to go for a random kid who plays somewhere we didn't need cover was criminal.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 17, 2017, 02:01:05 pm by steve@dcfd »

We have 10 players injured and no means to replace them until January.
We could have the biggest budget outside the premier league but if half are squad are injured and you can't replace them then you're obviously in trouble.

Not everything is as black and white as you try to portray

Out of the players that are injured who would improve the first team.
My go is
Andrew (not sure when he will be available)(the biggest miss)
Blair
Coppinger ( now his injuries have started should not be played in every game)
Kiwomya (unknown)
May be McCullough if he ever gets fit, I’m not sure.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 17, 2017, 03:06:46 pm by dickos1 »

All managers make good and poor signings, all of them.. I think it's one of fergusons strengths the quality of players he's signed

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 17, 2017, 05:33:30 pm by silent majority »

So, your expert analysis on the board (of which you like to castigate on a regular basis) and the budget, is based on looking at players and guessing? Wow, very good.

At DRFC there is such a thing as a Supporters Board who meet with club officials on a regular basis. Under new EFL rules, (rule number 1.112 if you want to look it up) they are allowed to ask searching questions on governance and budget issues, and they do. So I can assure you at least 10 or 11 supporters certainly know what the boards plans are. The boards plans are also up for discussion at the 'Meet the Owners' nights. Maybe asking the right questions is the way to go about it rather than making assumptions.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 18, 2017, 11:50:09 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think we need quite a bit of change if I'm honest.

Left back - vital as we've no balance on that side.  Garratt IMO isn't yet good enough.
Right back - We just could be better there.
CM - Get Kongolo gone and bring in a bit more experience there if we can or someone with more energy.  I'd be tempted to say the same with Whiteman but he has at least shown in flashes he has something.
Striker - We need another if Williams/Kiwomya can't get fit there is a clear lack of pace.

Somewhat ironic that CB was to be our biggest issue and is probably our strongest area so far this season.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 18, 2017, 12:15:00 pm by Chris Black come back »

All managers make good and poor signings, all of them.. I think it's one of fergusons strengths the quality of players he's signed

Some useful signings, certainly. Nobody in the knock out mould of McIndoe, Coppinger, Stock or Cotterill though. Players who at this level you genuinely think are consistent quality.

Also let us not forgot that he gave new contracts to Lund, Evina and Middleton, then decided he did not want them - and most bizarre of all, signed Etheridge then totally hung him out to dry after a few early errors, clearly never to play for club again. These are really bad decisions that have weighed on our budget. 

A mixed picture is probably fair to say. I like he is willing to take a punt on May or Beestin, but I struggle to say he has made a series of really good signings. Some useful, some capable, but no real stellar signings who have consistently looked quality.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 18, 2017, 12:50:15 pm by steve@dcfd »

So, your expert analysis on the board (of which you like to castigate on a regular basis) and the budget, is based on looking at players and guessing? Wow, very good.

At DRFC there is such a thing as a Supporters Board who meet with club officials on a regular basis. Under new EFL rules, (rule number 1.112 if you want to look it up) they are allowed to ask searching questions on governance and budget issues, and they do. So I can assure you at least 10 or 11 supporters certainly know what the boards plans are. The boards plans are also up for discussion at the 'Meet the Owners' nights. Maybe asking the right questions is the way to go about it rather than making assumptions.

First of all SM you have put your own opinion on what I wrote.

I said no one knows the boards plans. That’s not castigating the board.

You have now said 10 or 11 supporters know the true facts.
So I now know that some people know the boards plans.

We don’t know whether the players we brought in were first choice or the ones we could afford.

Could you say knowing the facts whether the players brought in, utilised the budget in the best way.

After we were relegated it was said by the CEO and Chairman that we took the eye off the ball in a meet the owners meeting. So it appears it was a collective  decision not to strengthen at that time.

Could you say if that was an assumption or fact.

The last part was a wish on my part that the board allow funds and it utilised wisely to strengthen the first team.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 18, 2017, 01:52:31 pm by silent majority »
Steve, are these questions?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012