Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 01:30:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Barnsley takeover  (Read 9741 times)

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
Barnsley takeover
« on December 19, 2017, 01:02:53 pm by CrippyCooke »
Barnsley have been taken over by a consortium operating under the name of 'NewCity Capital and Pacific Media Group'.

It will be interesting to see how this ends up.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
Re: Barnsley takeover
« Reply #1 on December 19, 2017, 02:54:31 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
so this one

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2017/08/22/barnsley-look-poised-hook-ogc-nices-chinese-owners/

has finally happened  Dingles haven't won in 6 league games 5 defeats and 0-0 on sat

funny that that they play in red shirts  :suicide:

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 19, 2017, 03:05:42 pm by German Rover »
Billy beane of moneyball fame is involved. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. I hope it works for them.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 19, 2017, 03:16:49 pm by ravenrover »
probably means the kiss of death for Heckingbottom then

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 19, 2017, 03:33:13 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
i think the seller of the club would have the sense to get some job security for heckers who i actually like
wouldn't think they'd be stupid enough to do a "Gary Rowett" like Brum did when they sacked him and went into freefall   

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 19, 2017, 03:53:26 pm by Donnywolf »
The Chinese takeover of Wolves has not done them any harm - and hopefully will do them an immense amount of good.

Holding my breath already   :aok:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 19, 2017, 04:20:20 pm by drfchound »

He might be available in January then ?

arkseyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 19, 2017, 05:53:29 pm by arkseyrover »
think this may be the start of something big for a club that I've always regarded as our biggest rivals but who over the years I've developed an increasing respect for in how its been run and for the way they have brought through their own players. We may be watching them in the prem on MOTD before much longer. Hope it doesn't go belly up for them and although any takeover has an element of risk I think these people have some credibility.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 19, 2017, 09:57:30 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
The Chinese takeover of Wolves has not done them any harm - and hopefully will do them an immense amount of good.

Holding my breath already   :aok:

yes and when i saw them spending 15 million on some player plus others worked out quickly who was going to win that league it would be a good idea to see if they would loan someone to Rovers i'd start by nicking that wolves loanee who played for Oldham on saturday

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 19, 2017, 10:06:00 pm by Chris Black come back »
Let us see what is left of their club in five years.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 19, 2017, 10:34:39 pm by anne honemous »
i think the seller of the club would have the sense to get some job security for heckers who i actually like
wouldn't think they'd be stupid enough to do a "Gary Rowett" like Brum did when they sacked him and went into freefall

Birmingham were about 8th when they sacked Rowett and went into freefall.

Barnsley are 20th and if two of the bottom four put a half decent run together, Barnsley are probably the team you'd expect to drop into the bottom three.

So there's reason there to sack Heckingbottom already!

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 20, 2017, 10:13:06 am by foxbat »
Looks like this lot have done OCG Nice a lot of good. I would expect players  to come in in January to keep them up. May well see a serious push for the premiership next season.Barnsley have done well with limited resources and maintained a good following.Patrick Cryne seems to have now secured the future of the club. I am slightly jealous , but good luck to them.

Lindy

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 21, 2017, 08:35:56 am by Lindy »
Call me old fashioned but I would rather not have a foreign owner of DRFC. I am more than happy with our current owners- we are extremely lucky to have them. Good luck to Barnsley but rather them than us.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 21, 2017, 09:53:04 am by bobjimwilly »
Like all takeovers you can't rely on the Football League doing any due diligence, it comes down to doing it yourself. So as long as Barnsley FC, the Cryne Family and the fans e.g. the Supporters Trust etc, are happy this is a good move for the club, then great for them.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 21, 2017, 10:17:27 am by Jim Dobbin »
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/five-things-you-need-to-know-about-barnsley-s-new-owners-1-8919861

Alongside the main consortium that's been in the media the billionaire Parekh family are also investing in the club with the Cryne family retaining a 20% stake and James Cryne a place on the board. The say they will not spend beyond their means and will build the club up off the field. They've probably seen what's happening with Chansiri.

Nine clubs in the Championship now have billionaire owners (Premier League 2), the wealth on Barnsley's board is said to be around £12-£15 billion if you include the Parekh family wealth and estimates that Chien Lee is worth around £8-£10 billion.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 21, 2017, 10:41:59 am by Glyn_Wigley »
The wealth of the owners is immaterial if they've already said that the club isn't going to spend beyond their means. It could be that some Barnsley fans might end up a bit disappointed if they think a load of money is going to get thrown at the club.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 21, 2017, 11:35:44 am by Chris Black come back »
The vast, vast majority of these foreign acquisitions end disastrously - Blackburn, Cardiff, Leeds, Forest, Villa - the list is endless. All welcomed by wide eyed, gullible fans, who quickly turn on their foreign sugar daddies when it all goes tits up. Live within your means folks!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 21, 2017, 11:54:32 am by silent majority »
Like all takeovers you can't rely on the Football League doing any due diligence, it comes down to doing it yourself. So as long as Barnsley FC, the Cryne Family and the fans e.g. the Supporters Trust etc, are happy this is a good move for the club, then great for them.

Not sure I agree with you there Bob, they have been seen to do well in recent years. We had our situation here with JR and Sequentia and the episodes at Leeds, but as the EFL will tell you they can't legislate for incompetence.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 21, 2017, 12:04:21 pm by acko »
Any oppurtunity to call JR SM.nobody can deny or take away from him what he did for this club,and now we have Blount how good js that

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 21, 2017, 12:24:33 pm by Jim Dobbin »
The wealth of the owners is immaterial if they've already said that the club isn't going to spend beyond their means. It could be that some Barnsley fans might end up a bit disappointed if they think a load of money is going to get thrown at the club.

Looking at their forum they're more than happy that they're not going to throw money at it and risk FFP sanctions. Set to announce huge profits this year they mainly want stability and then push on in future seasons, the owners have outlined plans to get to the next level without overspending and to invest more in the academy, they have just built a new one at Nice.

Out of a lot of foreign investments that's the type of stuff you want to hear, similar to what's happened at Bramall Lane and not the horror stories at Birmingham, Weds etc.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 21, 2017, 12:27:43 pm by Jim Dobbin »
The vast, vast majority of these foreign acquisitions end disastrously - Blackburn, Cardiff, Leeds, Forest, Villa - the list is endless. All welcomed by wide eyed, gullible fans, who quickly turn on their foreign sugar daddies when it all goes tits up. Live within your means folks!

Three of those clubs are sat in the top 7 of the Championship with a chance of a premiership return under new ownership.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 21, 2017, 01:16:42 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
on the subject of investment lets look at Rovers next opponents a team who looked certainies to be in the top 10 this year Bristol Rovers 

"'£12m invested in the club'
The Al-Qadi family, from Jordan, completed their takeover of Rovers in February 2016, and the club won promotion to League One via the play-offs three months later.

But they are currently 17th in the table, just three points above the relegation zone, and out of all cup competitions, with Clarke calling for further investment.

Hamer defended the Al-Qadi's commitment to the club, saying that although they were "shrewd, hard taskmasters", Clarke would be able to "freshen up" the squad in the January transfer window.

"We've been here 19 months and the owner has invested over £12m in the club - that's a lot of money in 19 months," he added.

"I think you've got to give them great credit for that - they're a division one football club, not many have had that sort of money thrown at them."" 

YES and at the moment hey are dropping like a stone - 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42110933

can silent majority guestimate how much Donny owners have put in over the same period  -- 

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 21, 2017, 01:28:52 pm by the vicar »
It is all sad for Patrick at darnsley as he int expected to be here into next year poor man, but at least he has lived to see new owners take over

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 21, 2017, 04:13:13 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Any oppurtunity to call JR SM.nobody can deny or take away from him what he did for this club,and now we have Blount how good js that

Are you really that sensitive that no-one can mention an episode of Rovers' history without you claiming that they're dissing JR? Which SM certainly wasn't doing.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 21, 2017, 04:43:34 pm by silent majority »

How have I taken anything away from his contribution with what I said? Is it a fact or not that he tried to take over the club?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 21, 2017, 10:20:21 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The Barnsley takeover sounds a sensible thing. Not promising too much too soon. Like most Yorkshire folk, they'll not get carried away.

Good luck to them!

DINGLE

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 25, 2017, 06:40:19 pm by DINGLE »
Reading between the lines, they seem set to invest in the stadium, training complex, and academy, more than anywhere else for starters, upgrading to an category one youth academy, with top class facilities, not sure how much they intend on investing in this but they’ve pumped millions into this area at OGC Nice.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4955364/Ligue-1-Nice-unveil-stunning-new-training-complex.html

http://www.ogcnice.com/en/academy/facilities

I think the thought process, is to be in a position where you can compete with other clubs for young players from all over the world, the better the facilities and coaches the more chance you have of prising them away from the very top clubs, because they’ll have the same standard of work place, but with a easier route into a first team squad. If you look at the average age of ours and Nices first team squad their can’t be many in Europe with lower. I think the intentions of the new owners are exactly the same as the old one, buy young up and coming players develop them and sell on, only now I think it’ll be done on a much bigger scale with far far more investment.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 25, 2017, 07:09:54 pm by idler »
Hope it works out for you and good luck for the rest of the season.
Always enjoyed playing Barnsley. Good and bad memories of games home and away.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 25, 2017, 07:22:32 pm by roversdude »
I hope that Allams sell your club to decent owners

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 25, 2017, 09:28:29 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I can see it now all these foreign kids wanting to move to erm South Yorkshire....

I guess the risk for barnsley is it becomes experiment 2.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012