Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 08:29:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Very good..  (Read 7701 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Very good..
« on December 26, 2017, 04:53:34 pm by Copps is Magic »
..nay, I'm going to bring out an excellent. Copps, Rowe, and May in particular with a noticeable difference between what May and Marquis offered the team today (and their body language). 13th, 8 off the play-offs, 7 off the drop. We're Donny Rovers, we know who we are.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Very good..
« Reply #1 on December 26, 2017, 04:56:08 pm by Alan Southstand »
First back to back wins this season?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 26, 2017, 05:19:11 pm by Chris Black come back »
Much better again. Four at back worked a great today.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 26, 2017, 05:21:00 pm by pib »
Slow start but towards the end of the first half was much better, then 2nd half we controlled it really well.

Hope we can keep it up! Much better.

Thought Marquis was very good today other than his finishing. Looked desperate for a goal but his all round play and effort was superb.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 26, 2017, 05:27:39 pm by NickDRFC »
Thought we played very well, an excellent team performance. Defence never really looked troubled and Mason & Garrett got forward reasonably well. Rowe and Copps controlled things in midfield. Not sure how May got man of the match, he put a lot of effort in but there were several chances missed and a few times when he lacked quality when we were in good positions. Marquis worked hard as well but god can he be frustrating - lets his frustration get the better of him far too often, and his touch was terrible too many times in good positions. First time I've seen Beestin and thought both he and Blair did well when coming on.

Onwards and upwards.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 26, 2017, 05:31:01 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Whiteman was solid too.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 26, 2017, 05:32:26 pm by Chris Black come back »
Not sure about our peno though...

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 26, 2017, 05:36:34 pm by mushRTID »
We need to be cautious as they were the worst side to visit in a long time.

But, we are clearly improving and it was a good performance. On our day I still think we’ve playoff potential. We’re certainly streets ahead of that shower that visited today.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 26, 2017, 05:38:21 pm by Chris Black come back »
They just didn’t look bothered really.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 26, 2017, 05:42:09 pm by anne honemous »
The first 30 minutes were a bit of a non event with both teams having spells of pressure without really doing much more.

Once we got the goal and upped the ante, I thought our class showed and we more than deserved to win. Everything about our performance was positive after 30+ minutes and apart from a 10 minute spell early in the second half where they had more of the ball, we always looked the better team.

The most positive thing is Northampton are a team down there and what won it for us was the fact our hunger was much, much superior to their hunger.

Even with a lazy Marquis, we still looked dangerous.

We shouldn't get carried away as they were crap and we've got plenty of flaws which need to be addressed in January, but we should certainly be proud of the fact we're one step closer to safety.

30 down, 20 to go... bring on Rochdale!

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 26, 2017, 05:47:23 pm by albie »
Fergie post match interview;
https://is.gd/TV2bZz

Doesn't really say much.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 26, 2017, 05:47:48 pm by MachoMadness »
If that’s the standard of teams down at the bottom then we shouldn’t need to worry about relegation again. Looked good today, admittedly against very poor opposition but we have lost to poor teams this season as well so a definite improvement. Good to get some goals and a clean sheet.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 26, 2017, 05:53:12 pm by German Rover »
I personally thought marquis was crap today. There was a lot of movement to be seen making movement. He seemed to stop dead every time he received the ball and would have had a hat trick if he had put his foot through the ball with the goal open for him. He also needs to stop this paddy when it doesn't go for him, looking up to the sky like Andy Williams is famous for. At least once it cost us as the ball was played through, and the ball ended up with him anyway. Head down ready to go could have resulted in a chance on goal.

We were too slow today. If we I'd played with pace we could have put 6 or 7 past them today. If we keep giving teams time to get themselves squared when we have the ball wide, better teams will lap it up.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 26, 2017, 05:53:51 pm by i_ateallthepies »
A lazy Marquis?, are you havin' a laugh?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 26, 2017, 05:54:56 pm by Copps is Magic »
Thought Marquis was very good today other than his finishing. Looked desperate for a goal but his all round play and effort was superb.

Well, we saw things very differently then.

What typified it for me in terms of Marquis today was when May passed that through ball to him - he gave it a first glance, then threw his head back in anger thinking it wasn't going to reach him. Then a second or so later he suddenly thought 'better give that a second look' and lo and behold it arrived at his feet.

That exemplified his attitude throughout the game. I thought May held the ball up much better and linked up well. Both lacking confidence to shoot.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 26, 2017, 05:57:01 pm by dickos1 »
I personally thought marquis was crap today. There was a lot of movement to be seen making movement. He seemed to stop dead every time he received the ball and would have had a hat trick if he had put his foot through the ball with the goal open for him. He also needs to stop this paddy when it doesn't go for him, looking up to the sky like Andy Williams is famous for. At least once it cost us as the ball was played through, and the ball ended up with him anyway. Head down ready to go could have resulted in a chance on goal.

We were too slow today. If we I'd played with pace we could have put 6 or 7 past them today. If we keep giving teams time to get themselves squared when we have the ball wide, better teams will lap it up.

We won 3-0 and you've written 17 lines of negative comments

tonybuk86

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 26, 2017, 05:59:03 pm by tonybuk86 »
I also think Marquis did good today, we played well as a team, as well we looked hungry when we attacked them. With this league so open this year a loss could put us back down, but let's hope this means a unbeaten run now. Up the Rovers!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 26, 2017, 06:09:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Certainly a good win. Copps made a difference and Whiteman had an excellent game holding things together in the middle. Back 4 solid with Lawlor having very little to do.

Without mentioning any other players, I still think there's more in the bank. The signs are good and with a little more desire and determination, we could still be a force to be reckoned with.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 26, 2017, 06:15:52 pm by drfchound »
I also think Marquis did good today, we played well as a team, as well we looked hungry when we attacked them. With this league so open this year a loss could put us back down, but let's hope this means a unbeaten run now. Up the Rovers!

Careful with that comment about a loss putting us back down.
Someone’s negative ometer will click in.

A good win against our worst opponents of the season, with the worst goal difference in the division.
It could easily have been five or six nil.

Unlike last week, we are now genuinely mid table, eight points off the top six and seven out of the bottom four.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:05:46 pm by drfchound »

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 26, 2017, 06:16:26 pm by graingrover »
The only advantage of I follow is I can watch the match then replay the whole 90 minutes so he who called Marquis' performance was clearly not only not watching the game twice but spent the whole match in the bogs with constipation today.
  How Garratt has developed .. how maturely Mason played apart from that one loss of the ball before he regained composure  and charged forward again . When the lump of a Cente half failed to flatten May then nearly S*** himself with relief as Alfie turned but hit the post lol .

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 26, 2017, 06:18:10 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It makes me wonder if Marquis has a grudge against May, the way he shows his disgust towards him on occasions. I really do hope I'm wrong in thinking that Marquis sometimes looks like he wants May to fail.

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 26, 2017, 06:27:51 pm by ZiggerZagger »
Marquis today, was the same as he's been for a few weeks. Great out wide winning the ball. Great in the air. Link up play with midfield excellent.  But, and it's a big but, where the hell has this Mardy Marquis come from. As said earlier he should of been walking off with the ball tucked up his shirt. He was shocking today in front of goal, all down to himself spitting his dummy out because the ball wasn't within a few inches of his foot. 4 times in the 2nd half alone he gave up on through balls that went perfect, but then all of a sudden realised he could of got to it. Then turns round giving verbal to whoever past it to him.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 26, 2017, 06:46:14 pm by anne honemous »
I wasn't calling Marquis though plenty in the stands were at various points in the second half, even when we were 3-0 up and absolutely in cruise control.

What frustrates me is he's clearly a capable lad, but there's loads of times when he makes it look like it's an effort to chase a loose ball, press the opposition, or go after a ball which isn't exactly inch perfect towards him. Quite often he'll be indecisive or won't commit that extra yard, the defender will get it and Marquis will make a half hearted movement towards the opposition player before it gets hoofed downfield.

In terms of what he does when he has the ball at his feet, or when he's prepared to work - and to be fair, he naturally seems to drift out wide a lot which actually is on benefit to us, that's undisputed.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 26, 2017, 06:51:28 pm by selby »
  Was May good in front of goal then?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 26, 2017, 07:08:02 pm by drfchound »
  Was May good in front of goal then?

No, not really.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 26, 2017, 07:16:54 pm by dickos1 »

A good win against our worst opponents of the season, with the worst goal difference in the division.

Unlike last week, we are now genuinely mid table, eight points off the top six and seven out of the bottom four.

We've gone up one place, 14th is still midtable.

Nobody likes the excuse of playing the best side in the division so why bother using the worst side in the division.
A side that drew with Blackburn 3 days ago.

Maybe we made them look shite, I know you wont have that. But for me that's what happened

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 26, 2017, 07:22:14 pm by drfchound »

Nobody likes the excuse of playing the best side in the division so why bother using the worst side in the division.

Maybe we made them look shite, I know you wont have that. But for me that's what happened

No, I was just using facts to back up my comment.
If you look, they do have the worst goal difference in the division and if they didn’t have a decent keeper we could have had five or six goals today.
Last week when we were mid table to you, the rest of us noticed that we were nine points from the top six but only four from the bottom four.
Today is a more realistic view of being genuinely mid table.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 26, 2017, 07:22:58 pm by Pancho Regan »
Marquis today, was the same as he's been for a few weeks. Great out wide winning the ball. Great in the air. Link up play with midfield excellent.  But, and it's a big but, where the hell has this Mardy Marquis come from. As said earlier he should of been walking off with the ball tucked up his shirt. He was shocking today in front of goal, all down to himself spitting his dummy out because the ball wasn't within a few inches of his foot. 4 times in the 2nd half alone he gave up on through balls that went perfect, but then all of a sudden realised he could of got to it. Then turns round giving verbal to whoever past it to him.

Should of, could of.

You mean should have, could have.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 26, 2017, 07:28:31 pm by dickos1 »

If you look, they do have the worst goal difference in the division and if they didn’t have a decent keeper we could have had five or six goals today.
Last week when we were mid table to you, the rest of us noticed that we were nine points from the top six but only four from the bottom four.

Mate we were 14th, if we finish the season 14th we will have finished midtable.
Yes Northampton have a poor goal difference, when we lost to Wigan were you saying it's ok Wigan are the best side in the league.
Nope you weren't

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 26, 2017, 07:41:02 pm by drfchound »

Mate we were 14th, if we finish the season 14th we will have finished midtable.
Yes Northampton have a poor goal difference, when we lost to Wigan were you saying it's ok Wigan are the best side in the league.
Nope you weren't

I never say “ it’s ok” for any reason when we lose.

I realise we are 14th.
I was merely explaining that despite the league ladder position, last week we were twice as far away from the top six than we were from the bottom four.
Just a fact really.

If we finish around 14th I will be ok with that after the way we have struggled to pick up points with any consistency in the first half of the season.

Even a point per game should keep us up now.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012