Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:00:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: In fairness to Marquis....  (Read 12572 times)

anne honemous

• Forum Member
In fairness to Marquis....
« on December 26, 2017, 11:47:46 pm by anne honemous »
Even though his off the ball work was awful today and he only looked interested when it suited him, if it was a straight choice between him and Mandeville, there would only be one winner.

And Liam still wouldn't get in the team!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
Re: In fairness to Marquis....
« Reply #1 on December 27, 2017, 12:09:06 am by Paul Simpson »
I couldn’t have put that reflection better myself! John may not be scoring goals but his effort can’t be faulted !! Take him out of the team and we would be in the relegation area guaranteed!!!

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 27, 2017, 12:18:38 am by eastender »
 Paul, I think the Anne is actually slating Marquis not praising him.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 27, 2017, 12:30:26 am by anne honemous »
Paul, I think the Anne is actually slating Marquis not praising him.

I can't fault Marquis when he's got the ball because he's always looking to bring others into the game or make something happen in that scenario.

When he hasn't got the ball, he's one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen.

But he's still streets, roads, towns and cities ahead of Mandeville.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 27, 2017, 01:21:20 am by selby »
   The difference between our two strikers,Marquis runs the channels, is physical, is aware of other players around him, gets in the face of the opposition, wins penalties from nothing, brings other players into play, has an attitude that gets up peoples noses,including some of our own supporters who do not appreciate his style of play. Scores goals when partnered by anyone else but Alfie May.  And tries his best.
  Alfie May runs the Channels, has to take a touch before playing the ball or shooting, has not got a lot of pace over longer distances than 10 yds, misses easy chances too regularly, is easily eased off the ball when one on one, is poor in the air, is not very good at bringing other players into the game. His scoring record is not very good. None of his partnerships with our other strikers have been a success. Tries his best
   Is the apple of the eye to our manager, and some of our supporters.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 27, 2017, 07:19:56 am by glosterred »
In fairness to Marquis his second touch is usually a tackle and if it’s not a tackle it a shrug of the shoulders. But we do not have a player to play his game of running the channels, closing down the defenders and keeper or getting under the noses of the opposition. But If he’d of taken either of the two clear cut chances he had we would not be talking about him in this vain today.

COYR

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 27, 2017, 08:35:01 am by dickos1 »
I don't think you can say one is more guilty of missing chances than the other this season

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 27, 2017, 08:52:50 am by Jonathan »
I’m astonished at some of the criticism. Marquis was fine yesterday. Not his greatest game but he did perfectly okay and was in and around the build up to each goal. His work rate is consistently outstanding and he’s unselfish with it. He’s our top scorer and has run himself into the ground in several recent games. The team is in a decent bit of form. Some of our fans are so hard to please.

Alfie May played well too.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 27, 2017, 10:32:00 am by graingrover »
 One or two posts are basing criticisms on their perception of his body language. My perception of his game is that he is a tireless worker often covering ground you would not expect a striker to be asked to cover .. from one side of the pitch to the other .. racing in to close down a goalkeeper's clearance and YESTERDAY even covering in a left back position . His body language is NEVER defeatist nor disinterested rather more anger at his own mistakes is my perception . As for the moaners and groaners I wonder what perceptions others have of them in their jobs and lives !

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 27, 2017, 12:04:28 pm by NickDRFC »
One or two posts are basing criticisms on their perception of his body language. My perception of his game is that he is a tireless worker often covering ground you would not expect a striker to be asked to cover .. from one side of the pitch to the other .. racing in to close down a goalkeeper's clearance and YESTERDAY even covering in a left back position . His body language is NEVER defeatist nor disinterested rather more anger at his own mistakes is my perception . As for the moaners and groaners I wonder what perceptions others have of them in their jobs and lives !

Agree to an extent but when May played the poor through ball to him yesterday - a better-weighted one would have put him clean through - his reaction was very defeatist. The defender stumbled so it got to him anyway but if he hadn't thrown a strop he could have taken a better touch and been clean through.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 27, 2017, 12:40:22 pm by selby »
  I hope Marquis,Williams, and Mandeville never go on Strictly come Dancing, Craig would slaughter  them for  posture and expressions.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 27, 2017, 01:30:02 pm by RugbyRover »
I think Marquis was right to give May and Rowe a mouthful, the passes they had to give were very simple and should have been delivered inch perfect. I was surprised that Tommy Rowe got is wrong.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 27, 2017, 01:39:23 pm by GazLaz »
I’m amazed how many body language experts support us.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 27, 2017, 02:13:23 pm by Alan Southstand »
It's not very often you hear the words Alfie May and Messi mentioned in the same sentence, but watch channel 5's highlights back again and there it is. He must have been awful (ly good) Selby ;)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 27, 2017, 02:18:19 pm by IDM »
Was it the chance where he took about 15 touches too many?? :chair:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 27, 2017, 03:28:23 pm by selby »
  Alan, I have not seen it, what was he doing ,drinking out of a bottle?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 27, 2017, 03:29:59 pm by dickos1 »
May did great to create that opportunity for himself

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 27, 2017, 05:04:00 pm by RedJ »
Then he shat the bed in front of goal and it was gone.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 27, 2017, 06:03:38 pm by dickos1 »
The keeper saved it didn't he? It came out to marquis who also missed.

May is only just coming back from injury and marquis is struggling to score

Both will turn the corner and will start scoring again

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 27, 2017, 06:07:28 pm by RedJ »
Yes, but if he had the composure to hit it when he had the chance rather than take another touch he'd have scored. I have no doubt he'll score a few more before the season is out, but if he's going to carve out a decent professional career as a striker he needs to learn he can't always take that extra touch.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 27, 2017, 06:12:03 pm by Jonathan »
I thought May did well to fashion the chance. Thevtyrn inside was Colin Cramb-sequel. Alas the keeper saved it, and Marquis’ rebound was blocked. Then we scored from the resulting corner.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 27, 2017, 06:16:04 pm by selby »
  Alan,I have seen it now, yep just like the sitter Messie missed  in the world cup  final one on one in the last few minutes that cost Argentina the cup, and me £80.
  I suppose the main difference was that Messie missing surprised me, Alfie didn't, not even with the second one he missed. 

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 27, 2017, 07:27:21 pm by dickos1 »
Sitter
Give over

If he'd missed the follow up you'd be having kittens

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 27, 2017, 09:35:26 pm by RedJ »
Being pedantic, he didn't miss - can't remember what he did with the rebound with the second (from memory, side netting?) but at least he got the initial efforts on target, which is a start I suppose. He needs to get that bit of composure though. Bit of confidence, he'll bang that sort of chance in with ease.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 28, 2017, 03:47:37 am by RoversAlias »
One effort by May he did brilliantly to carve the opening in the box, but took one touch too many. Another, where the keeper saved it onto the post I believe, was a good effort too. May didn't have the best game ever but he got involved when he could and was a thorn in the defender's sides. None of our other forwards have his hustle, and only Marquis has the same tenacity. The goals will come I'm sure.

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 28, 2017, 05:46:58 pm by ZiggerZagger »
Listening to on older gentleman whilst waiting for the attacking players to have shooting practice before the game the other day.
He said to the young man next to him,  if you had to rate our strikers 1 to 5 who would you pick for finishing chances in the box, heading goals, dribbling in the box, sticking one in the top corner from 25yrds. Young man said Marquis n probably Copps. The older man stood up chuckled to himself n said, watch and learn young en, keep you eye on Mandeville. So I did. All I'm going to say is if your there on Friday, get in early and watch them doing their shooting practice.  I think you'll be very surprised at who puts it in the net the most and just how woeful some others are.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 28, 2017, 06:13:10 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Made the same observation myself Zigger.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 28, 2017, 06:28:10 pm by GazLaz »
Mandeville is the best finisher by far. You only have to watch games to see that. Coppinger is a poor finisher, he can’t even be put into the mix as best.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 06:31:05 pm by GazLaz »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 28, 2017, 06:29:41 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Mandeville is no doubt technically our best up there..I think he needs time and the right partner.  I would stick him in with John they'd be our best partnership.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 28, 2017, 06:35:14 pm by RedJ »
Aye, but Lewis Guy was good in training (allegedly). Means f**k all if he doesn't do it in a game situation.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012