Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:21:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: In fairness to Marquis....  (Read 12563 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: In fairness to Marquis....
« Reply #30 on December 28, 2017, 07:04:49 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Selby,

Pulling down Alfie May as a way of bulling up John Marquis has a scraping the bottom of the barrel ring of desperation in support of the thread title.

How on earth anyone can say (and believe!) that May's 'misses' on Tuesday were worse than Marquis's 'misses' is honestly beyond me!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on December 28, 2017, 07:21:31 pm by ravenrover »
Mandeville is no doubt technically our best up there..I think he needs time and the right partner.  I would stick him in with John they'd be our best partnership.
behave yourself! or is it the lack of sleep addling your mind?😂 Wouldn't have thought you had time to post on here. Congratulations by the way

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 28, 2017, 07:38:01 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Mandeville is the best finisher by far. You only have to watch games to see that. Coppinger is a poor finisher, he can’t even be put into the mix as best.

I have vid of a game in 2008 that would suggest otherwise Gaz.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 28, 2017, 08:17:37 pm by Alan Southstand »
Selby, it's time to cease this finger pointing at young Alfie, just because your darling isn't getting the nod just yet. I've been checking all the top scorers in our division and not one of them has come from such a low level as AM and had such a rapid rise. The lad will come good, I firmly believe that, he needs time, as does your mate, Mande. Where Alfie needs to work on his finishing, Mande needs to work on his stamina/physicality and, just maybe, his attitude.

Let's not forget one major factor in all this - IF Kiwomya had been fit neither Mande or Alfie would have been in the first team anyway. The best that either of them could have done is get into the match day squad. However, things didn't quite work out like that. I think the days of the Club shelling out for a 'Billy Sharp' are long gone and perhaps never to be seen again, so we are where we are and we have to be patient with all our up-and-comers.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on December 28, 2017, 08:24:17 pm by drfchound »
Has anyone actually seen Kiwomya play?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on December 28, 2017, 08:28:31 pm by RedJ »

He played against us for Crewe didn't he?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 28, 2017, 08:36:05 pm by drfchound »

He played against us for Crewe didn't he?

I don’t remember him if he did.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 28, 2017, 08:42:38 pm by NickDRFC »
He likely did but either way he definitely played against us for Fleetwood in January of our relegation season.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 28, 2017, 09:11:58 pm by steve@dcfd »
Both May and Mandeville have different attributes.
But both are the least experienced strikers at league level if compare them with the top 20 goal scorers in league 1 this season.
One has played all his football in non league.
While the other came through our Academy and loaned to non league sides. Development of both players is important.
But John Marquis is finding it hard this season as well.
If we want better then it will cost money.
Jack Marriott was signed from Luton for a undisclosed fee on a four year deal and being looked by Championship clubs. Let us not forget we could not compete with Peterborough when trying to sign Taylor so competing for a striker may be difficult.
There are numerous other examples of strikers in this league.
Are we expecting to much from Alfie and Liam.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:15:03 pm by steve@dcfd »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on December 28, 2017, 10:38:02 pm by selby »
  B.B. if you can point me to anywhere I have said that J.Ms misses are any better than Alfies on Saturday please point them out.
  And Alan, I have stated previously I would like to see Alfie ram my perception of him down my throat, and score a lot of goals. I have stated before I admire his effort and tenacity, but goals are what this game is all about, and he misses chances, and also all our other strikers struggle to score when partnering him.
  On the other hand we have got a young player who has got the best scoring record since Peter Kitchen, and has scored four  goals in his last five first team appearances, which were not all full games. And I might add when played with Marquis,both have scored freely with Mandeville setting up more than one for Marquis.
  He has been slaughtered on here for facial expressions, not trying, giving the ball away, when it was his first touch and the player it was meant for did not read the return ball down the line,but why let that get in the way of you slagging him off.
  I repeat I want Alfie to do well,would I pick him NO for footballing reasons only, which I have put in posts and explain, and by the way I am not the old guy referred to in an earlier post, but I do agree with him.
  B.B. they are my opinions of the difference between Marquis and Alfie, are you saying that people can have a dig at Marquis in this thread, but I cannot say anything about Alfie in comparison,just asking like.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on December 28, 2017, 10:52:47 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Selby, I can't point you to anywhere you have mentioned that JM misses are 'any better' than Alfie's on (Saturday?) because you haven't! In fact, you haven't mentioned Marquis's misses at all, only May's! That's my point.

You mention The stats regarding Marquis scoring more with Williams and Mandeville than May. Are you including last years stats when we were in a lower league?

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on December 28, 2017, 11:06:21 pm by anne honemous »
Mandeville is no doubt technically our best up there..I think he needs time and the right partner.  I would stick him in with John they'd be our best partnership.

I'd stick him up front with Big Barry from the Hare & Tortoise pub team.

I think Barry would offer more.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on December 28, 2017, 11:16:48 pm by selby »
  Yes, this season Marquis has either played up front on his own, with Beestin,Or Alfie, and a few games with Mandeville at the start of the season.
   Late in the season last year he dried up scoring goals in the lower league as you say, Mandeville was out injured or not played soon after Christmas when our form and goalscoring dropped. Alfie partnered him in quite a few games, and he was dropped after the Wycombe game in which he had his best game, Bizar.
  Marqius,s lack of goals in the latter half of the season coincided with the absence of Williams and Mandeville being injured for quite a few games, many of which Alfie played as you point out in a lower league. Alfie,as you point out in a lower League didnt
score many either.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on December 29, 2017, 08:49:17 am by Bentley Bullet »
Selby, One significant stat during that period is that Marquis kept his place in the side more than any of the other strikers. The advantage of that is of massive proportions to him against the other strikers, who never knew when they were going to be replaced. The distraction of that meant they were under more pressure to score, giving them a massive disadvantage.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 29, 2017, 09:00:41 am by mrfrostsdad »
Aye, but Lewis Guy was good in training (allegedly). Means f**k all if he doesn't do it in a game situation.

Lewis Guy scored goals for us and played for us at a higher level than anyone we have now (excluding Coppinger) I don't see Marquis or May or Mandeville playing in the Championship any time soon

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on December 29, 2017, 09:02:26 am by mrfrostsdad »
Aye, but Lewis Guy was good in training (allegedly). Means f**k all if he doesn't do it in a game situation.

Lewis Guy scored goals for us and played for us at a higher level than anyone we have now (excluding Coppinger) I don't see Marquis or May or Mandeville playing in the Championship any time soon

ps. Unless we get promoted this season that is because we wouldn't be able to buy a complete new team

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on December 29, 2017, 09:09:25 am by NickDRFC »
  B.B. if you can point me to anywhere I have said that J.Ms misses are any better than Alfies on Saturday please point them out.
  And Alan, I have stated previously I would like to see Alfie ram my perception of him down my throat, and score a lot of goals. I have stated before I admire his effort and tenacity, but goals are what this game is all about, and he misses chances, and also all our other strikers struggle to score when partnering him.
  On the other hand we have got a young player who has got the best scoring record since Peter Kitchen, and has scored four  goals in his last five first team appearances, which were not all full games. And I might add when played with Marquis,both have scored freely with Mandeville setting up more than one for Marquis.
  He has been slaughtered on here for facial expressions, not trying, giving the ball away, when it was his first touch and the player it was meant for did not read the return ball down the line,but why let that get in the way of you slagging him off.
  I repeat I want Alfie to do well,would I pick him NO for footballing reasons only, which I have put in posts and explain, and by the way I am not the old guy referred to in an earlier post, but I do agree with him.
  B.B. they are my opinions of the difference between Marquis and Alfie, are you saying that people can have a dig at Marquis in this thread, but I cannot say anything about Alfie in comparison,just asking like.

Marquis and May, when starting together this season, have scored 0.42 goals per game between them. Marquis and Mandeville have returned 0.4 between them. There’s no evidence there, let alone anything compelling, to suggest that Mandeville and Marquis are a more free scoring pair.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on December 29, 2017, 09:18:24 am by Alan Southstand »
Selby, I'm not trying to make this personal, if that's what you're getting at. I am just getting a bit tired of your efforts to make Alfie look inferior, when clearly he has the edge over Mande .
I think you're being extremely unforgiving of Alfie when considering where he's come from and the standard at which he's been playing. Maybe if Mande had had a taste of life in the lower leagues, he'd perhaps be showing the right amount of hunger and desire each week to warrant being picked. I've watched Mande play in the Development games and, to be honest, I wouldn't be selecting him in my squad. I'm not having a 'go' at him, he simply needs a bit more time to decide whether he actually wants it enough and I'm not sure he does know right now!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on December 29, 2017, 09:51:46 am by Bentley Bullet »
None of us likes to be proved wrong and most are loyal to our favourite players. That in itself becomes unfair when sometimes our bias distorts reality.

I don't think my opinions are distorted, and neither will Selby, but I suspect having favourites can be blinding. Only time will tell, but for me, Alfie May will become a legend, and the more we play him the quicker it will happen.

I could be wrong of course (for once).

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on December 29, 2017, 10:26:21 am by The Red Baron »
May struck me as much more instinctive when he first got in the team to how he is now. Think of the goal he scored against Luton and compare with his recent dithering in front of goal. Either he's lost confidence or he is overthinking. Somehow he needs to get back to the idea of hitting the ball as soon as he sees the target.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on December 29, 2017, 10:31:45 am by Campsall rover »
At the beginning of the season it was quite clear Mandeville was not 100% fit. Something has “gone off” between DF and Mandy which I think has upset both of them.
I think DF can be very stubborn and has quite clearly decided not to play Mandy. Whether this is DF’s lack of man management or a bad attitude by Mandy I don’t know. ( OR BOTH )
What I do know that Mandy is technically one of the best players we have at present. He is also THE best finisher we have.
He has a football brain. He has the awareness around him that Alfie May doesn’t have. I am not knocking Alfie. He has jumped up 8 leagues from where he came from and still potentially could be a good player at this level. But work rate alone will not get him scoring goals.
He needs to get his head up and his decision making needs to improve.
We all love him because his enthusiasm shines through. He wants to do well we can all see that.
DF needs to sort out the situation with Mandy because if he doesn’t we are going to lose a very talented player. He will then go to another club and probably have a very successful career and we will all be thinking what might have been.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on December 29, 2017, 10:37:45 am by selby »
 Two things,
   1) I posted on this particular thread because of the two in my opinion threads dishing Marquis for his display on Saturday, when both our strikers were as bad as each other in front of goal, but both worked equally hard for the good of the team.
  2) While pointing out our lack of goals at the end of last season  if Shearer and Sheringham had played in front of Alcock, Mason, and Grant in the last six games,  they would have struggled to score.
  I might add that  Houghton,Williams,Mandeville, and Baudry were not fully fit for long periods at the end of last season who earlier in the season were big parts of our run of good results, and Baudry and Houghtons   
 return to the team has improved us in the last few games this season, not a coincidence.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on December 29, 2017, 10:38:20 am by The Red Baron »
At the beginning of the season it was quite clear Mandeville was not 100% fit. Something has “gone off” between DF and Mandy which I think has upset both of them.
I think DF can be very stubborn and has quite clearly decided not to play Mandy. Whether this is DF’s lack of man management or a bad attitude by Mandy I don’t know. ( OR BOTH )
What I do know that Mandy is technically one of the best players we have at present. He is also THE best finisher we have.
He has a football brain. He has the awareness around him that Alfie May doesn’t have. I am not knocking Alfie. He has jumped up 8 leagues from where he came from and still potentially could be a good player at this level. But work rate alone will not get him scoring goals.
We all love him because his enthusiasm shines through. He wants to do well we can all see that.
DF needs to sort out the situation with Mandy because if he doesn’t we are going to lose a very talented player. He will then go to another club and probably have a very successful career and we will all be thinking what might have been.

Agree 100% re Mandeville. If he doesn't get back in the side this season he'll be away in the summer. And unlike some of the others we've let go recently, I really think he could come back to bite us on the bum.

Said a lot for me that with the game won on Tuesday that he didn't even get five minutes on the pitch. Something is wrong between him and Ferguson and it needs sorting.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on December 29, 2017, 10:39:26 am by drfchound »

Alfie hasn't jumped up 8 levels.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on December 29, 2017, 12:26:01 pm by Campsall rover »

Alfie hasn't jumped up 8 levels.
No I think I got that wrong, it is 5 levels I think?
Still a heck of a jump though.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on December 29, 2017, 12:36:33 pm by RedJ »
Originally 4 but now 5, he started in the 8th tier.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on December 29, 2017, 12:59:16 pm by Campsall rover »
Originally 4 but now 5, he started in the 8th tier.
Yes 8th tier that’s where I got 8 levels from. :facepalm:

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on December 29, 2017, 01:13:00 pm by Bentley Bullet »
No one is inflammable.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on December 29, 2017, 01:37:49 pm by steve@dcfd »
If Williams had gone in summer then we would have brought in another striker then May and Mandeville would have both been bit part strikers.

Due to no interest in Williams and him wanting to stay we have what we’ve got. From midfield to strikers we’ve found scoring difficult which are goals for shows. But we are progressing, it may be slow, but to speed it up we have to bring in more quality both up front and midfield.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on December 29, 2017, 02:08:38 pm by dickos1 »

I know everyone else ignores nonsense like this and I know I should too but are you really attempting to suggest Lewis guy is a better striker than marquis?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012