Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:53:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: In fairness to Marquis....  (Read 12570 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: In fairness to Marquis....
« Reply #60 on December 29, 2017, 02:12:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Guy wasn't a striker, he was a forward.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on December 29, 2017, 02:31:35 pm by Alan Southstand »
You mean he was always falling forward?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on December 29, 2017, 02:47:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Well yes, he did tend to fall over a lot, didn't he! At least nobody can say Marquis is guilty of that!!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on December 29, 2017, 02:50:57 pm by IDM »
I don't know why Lewis Guy never achieved his potential.  He achieved nowhere near what his pace when he joined us suggested he would.

But he did score our first goal in the 2nd tier for about 50 years, and the manager thought he was good enough to be a Championship player.

Where did it all go wrong?  Attitude?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on December 29, 2017, 04:01:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
MFD.

Aye. Guy did score in the Championship. Twice in 43 appearances.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on December 29, 2017, 04:29:40 pm by Campsall rover »
To be a top player requires more than just natural ability.
The right attitude, which consists of 1 Hunger, 2 Desire, 3 Hard work on the trading ground ( extra hrs after training )
4 Listening & learning from coaches/manager and the more experienced players. 5 Looking after yourself with Diet and lifestyle.
A lot of talented players have never fulfilled their potential because of not having done some, most or all the above.
I would say Lewis Guy was one of those.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on December 29, 2017, 05:13:56 pm by drfchound »
Didn’t Lewis score our first two goals in the Championship, against Derby and then Cardiff in the first home game.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on December 29, 2017, 05:25:00 pm by steve@dcfd »
Lewis scored because the midfield he played with was good. The difference now is our strikers live off scraps from the midfield.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on December 29, 2017, 08:18:25 pm by dickos1 »
Didn’t Lewis score our first two goals in the Championship, against Derby and then Cardiff in the first home game.

And?
What happened to the rest of the career

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on December 29, 2017, 10:36:25 pm by drfchound »

And?

You really do live up to the first four letters of your screen name.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on December 29, 2017, 10:43:25 pm by RedJ »
Got absolute dog's abuse tonight. For no reason. What on earth are people watching? he does most of the donkey work, yet people expect him to be sprinting after  a lost cause near the end of the game, it's as if they think he should be scoring 7 goals a game or something.

Yes I want him to score more than he has been doing but you can clearly see the role he's being used in he's going to be bringing others into play more than he is going to be able to get goalscoring opportunities and some of the abuse he gets is way over the top from our so called supporters. f**king clueless, some people.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on December 29, 2017, 10:46:58 pm by dickos1 »

And?

😂
Your post was nonsensical

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on December 29, 2017, 10:49:47 pm by drfchound »

And?

Yeah, if you say so, whatever.

😂
Your post was nonsensical

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on December 29, 2017, 10:50:56 pm by Donnywolf »
Got absolute dog's abuse tonight. For no reason. What on earth are people watching? he does most of the donkey work, yet people expect him to be sprinting after  a lost cause near the end of the game, it's as if they think he should be scoring 7 goals a game or something.

Yes I want him to score more than he has been doing but you can clearly see the role he's being used in he's going to be bringing others into play more than he is going to be able to get goalscoring opportunities and some of the abuse he gets is way over the top from our so called supporters. f**king clueless, some people.

Bang on - had a very good game for the Team tonight.

Just needs a bit of luck with most of the finishing attempts at goal. Get one and he will be red hot again

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on December 29, 2017, 10:53:19 pm by anne honemous »
At the beginning of the season it was quite clear Mandeville was not 100% fit. Something has “gone off” between DF and Mandy which I think has upset both of them.
I think DF can be very stubborn and has quite clearly decided not to play Mandy. Whether this is DF’s lack of man management or a bad attitude by Mandy I don’t know. ( OR BOTH )
What I do know that Mandy is technically one of the best players we have at present. He is also THE best finisher we have.
He has a football brain. He has the awareness around him that Alfie May doesn’t have. I am not knocking Alfie. He has jumped up 8 leagues from where he came from and still potentially could be a good player at this level. But work rate alone will not get him scoring goals.
He needs to get his head up and his decision making needs to improve.
We all love him because his enthusiasm shines through. He wants to do well we can all see that.
DF needs to sort out the situation with Mandy because if he doesn’t we are going to lose a very talented player. He will then go to another club and probably have a very successful career and we will all be thinking what might have been.

Agree 100% re Mandeville. If he doesn't get back in the side this season he'll be away in the summer. And unlike some of the others we've let go recently, I really think he could come back to bite us on the bum.

Said a lot for me that with the game won on Tuesday that he didn't even get five minutes on the pitch. Something is wrong between him and Ferguson and it needs sorting.

If Mandeville left the club tomorrow then I wouldn't be disappointed.

Technically, he might be this amazing footballer in some people's eyes, but in the long term I think Alfie May has more attributes that could make him successful. If he gets in the gym, then I think he's a player we might be able to sell for decent money eventually.

Mandeville doesn't inspire the same confidence in me.

Both players will improve with age but in five years time I think May will be playing in the EFL and Mandeville will be lucky if he's getting a game at the same level as Stockport County.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on December 29, 2017, 10:53:54 pm by drfchound »
Marquis was outstanding tonight in a good team performance.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on December 29, 2017, 10:58:00 pm by Donnywolf »
He would have been a contender for MOTM for me - as would most of the Team !

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on December 29, 2017, 10:59:45 pm by drfchound »
When BJW puts the poll up I will be voting for JM mate.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on December 29, 2017, 11:03:47 pm by RoversAlias »
Marquis had an excellent game tonight, causes so many problems for opposition defenders and gets involved in the play all match long even when we barely have the ball over the half way line for 20 odd minutes.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on December 29, 2017, 11:05:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Anyone who slagged off Marquis tonight hasn’t the first idea what centre forward play is about. He was absolutely superb tonight.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on December 29, 2017, 11:18:28 pm by dknward2 »
He had a great game never stopped he was so disappointed at the end I guess with not scoring but he did everything else and ran himself to the ground and got no protection from the ref

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on December 29, 2017, 11:27:15 pm by RedJ »
You just have to wonder what these cocks in the south stand are actually watching when they hurl the shite they do at him.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on December 29, 2017, 11:32:33 pm by Campsall rover »
They can’t be real football fans let alone Rovers fans if they are going to give abuse to a player who gives 100% match after match after match.  :headbang:

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on December 29, 2017, 11:41:37 pm by Alan Southstand »
Thanks for that comment, Billy. I thought he was awesome as well. Where did our midfield go in the second half?

Alfie lad, let that be a lesson tonight - if you don't buy a ticket.......etc. You don't need that extra touch, ask Copps about it.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on December 29, 2017, 11:44:27 pm by pib »
Brilliant again. Looks desperate for a goal but he's a team player and has been kicked all over the park tonight working his arse off for the side.

His General play with the ball has improved a lot in the past few games.

I just wish sometimes he'd get in the box instead of trying to drop in and get in the thick of the play, but that will come when he gets a goal or two under his belt I'm sure.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on December 30, 2017, 08:24:39 am by The Red Baron »
Anyone who slagged off Marquis tonight hasn’t the first idea what centre forward play is about. He was absolutely superb tonight.

He was my MOM. Led the line superbly and stood up to persistent fouling by the two CBs. Also I was pleased to see he wasn't constantly having a go at team mates. I think someone has had a word with him about that.

Mason and Whiteman were also very good and Lawlor made a couple of crucial saves.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on December 30, 2017, 09:35:30 am by selby »
  Anne, the game time Mandeville had on the pitch tonight, and your judgment of it shows you had decided to wright that comment while driving to the game mate.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on December 30, 2017, 09:38:48 am by GazLaz »
JM was good last night and didn’t score. May was dreadful and scored. That’s Football.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on December 30, 2017, 10:24:19 am by selby »
  Gaz, as you know I have criticized Alfie a lot, last night he did his normal quota of running, but was well marked.
  What he did to  score was hit the ball on the turn first time,without taking a touch too many, it did not allow the defender time to block although he did deflect it.
  But that's what I want to see off Alfie, be more of a danger in the box.
  He did his job to me, he scored and that is what he is paid for. 

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on December 30, 2017, 10:26:52 am by goalkick »
Thanks for that comment, Billy. I thought he was awesome as well. Where did our midfield go in the second half?

Alfie lad, let that be a lesson tonight - if you don't buy a ticket.......etc. You don't need that extra touch, ask Copps about it.
whitman played further back in the second half.love to see him supporting the lads up front and in an attacking role,has a great shot.marquis played his heart out.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012