Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 12:49:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ferguson  (Read 8920 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Ferguson
« on January 06, 2018, 06:37:05 pm by GazLaz »
In his interview he doesn’t sound happy that we didn’t win today to free some money up to strengthen. It got me thinking, how much did we get for the Arsenal trip and why hadn’t it been made available to strengthen?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Ferguson
« Reply #1 on January 06, 2018, 06:39:51 pm by since-1969 »
He’s doing his usual ‘ We only got 18 players now “ and “ Nothing happening with players coming in” Pathetic. It obvious the board don’t fancy putting money into a bottomless pit .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 06, 2018, 06:41:16 pm by dickos1 »
Bottomless pit??

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 06, 2018, 06:43:09 pm by Campsall rover »
He’s doing his usual ‘ We only got 18 players now “ and “ Nothing happening with players coming in” Pathetic. It obvious the board don’t fancy putting money into a bottomless pit .
What are you talking about. Please explain

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 06, 2018, 06:47:04 pm by Copps is Magic »
Rovers got 45% of the gate revenue from Arsenal. Probably around £200,000 + £7,000 prize money + £TV revenue from the game being shown internationally. No doubt commercial revenue got a boost as well.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 06, 2018, 06:47:09 pm by Scooter »
I quite like Fergie. I thought his interview comments were fair.
I also liked the fact that he said he won’t have the telly on Monday night at ten past seven. Neither will I because I’m mardy as f***

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 06, 2018, 06:50:31 pm by GazLaz »
I’d also think that the attendances are above what the initially budgeted for.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 06, 2018, 06:52:27 pm by BigH »
I think that the Board may have looked at DF's last two Januarys and concluded that his acquisitions in those windows, ultimately, had no telling effect on the outcome of each season.

Personally, I quite like their attitude. Essentially, it puts a rocket up DF's arse to deliver consolidation in L1 with what he's got.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 06, 2018, 06:53:46 pm by dickos1 »
The problem last January was he didn't get anything then either

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 06, 2018, 06:54:17 pm by since-1969 »
What are you talking about. Please explain
Listen to DFs postmatch interview.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 06, 2018, 06:55:56 pm by BigH »
Conor Grant? What a waste that was!

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 06, 2018, 06:56:44 pm by since-1969 »
I think that the Board may have looked at DF's last two Januarys and concluded that his acquisitions in those windows, ultimately, had no telling effect on the outcome of each season.

Personally, I quite like their attitude. Essentially, it puts a rocket up DF's arse to deliver consolidation in L1 with what he's got.
We are not safe yet . IMO if we don’t solve scoring problems we will be dragged back . You can’t base your future on your past.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 06, 2018, 06:59:30 pm by mushRTID »

We agreed a fee for him didn’t we..where’s that money ?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 06, 2018, 07:01:18 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
There's always two sides to the coin. He said himself, he has a budget and as always, it's his responsibility to manage it. That includes getting players out as well as in. We still have players on the books that will not play for us again.

On the flip side, we could say he's been unlucky with the injuries and illness so possibly should be given some leeway.

Difficult for us to make any judgment as we don't know enough of what goes on behind the scenes.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 06, 2018, 07:04:32 pm by pib »
I'd remain hopeful of us having a trick up our sleeve. He's not going to show all his cards in an interview is he?

Striker is desperately needed. My patience with Alfie May is starting to wear thin. He's had the benefit of the doubt in his first year at the club but it's becoming all too frequent that he looks out of his depth.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 06, 2018, 07:04:49 pm by DonnyOsmond »

We agreed a fee for him didn’t we..where’s that money ?

Used on Mason or to sign Kiwomya, Andrew, Marquis, etc?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 06, 2018, 07:05:27 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I'd remain hopeful of us having a trick up our sleeve. He's not going to show all his cards in an interview is he?

Striker is desperately needed. My patience with Alfie May is starting to wear thin. He's had the benefit of the doubt in his first year at the club but it's becoming all too frequent that he looks out of his depth.

He's been one of our best players in the last couple of home league games.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 06, 2018, 07:10:07 pm by pib »

He's been one of our best players in the last couple of home league games.

Not sure I agree. He runs around a lot but some of the chances he misses are inexcusable.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 06, 2018, 07:10:23 pm by mpc123 »
Yeah it seems strange that the arsenal money, gates over 7200 budget (I think it was) and no further cash for Jan. Yet saying that the over budget money will just be eating into extra cash being put i to offset the directors payments for shortfall. I think if we can consolidate this year we will be in a great position in the summer with unwanted high earners off the books and possibly an already agreed summer signing for Houghton. We also have to remember we have long term injuries coming back that will be like signings in Jan/ Feb too. It may end up being good business not to add more in Jan and use it for the summer. Mid table with these players and more coming backshoild mean a plan to be ok, then really push on next season

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 06, 2018, 07:15:23 pm by dickos1 »
It seems to me that he had a budget but was promised money from the arsenal game, and now this hasn't materialised

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 06, 2018, 07:15:43 pm by BigH »

We are not safe yet . IMO if we don’t solve scoring problems we will be dragged back . You can’t base your future on your past.
Don't disagree. You're right we're not safe. We've had a problem up front all season; but I'm not convinced that bringing in another couple of loanees - remember the quality of what's out there at this stage of the season compared to the close season - would make any real difference. My point is that DF's record of fixing things through a January window hasn't been good; well certainly not in his time with us. I can't help but feel that anyone he brings in at this stage of the season on a loan basis would be an outright punt.

Or are you suggesting that the Board blow a million or two in an over-inflated market for someone a bit more proven?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 06, 2018, 07:17:34 pm by since-1969 »
It’s not budgets that gets results it getting players with ability and a willingness to go beyond there pay grade . We have not depth or resilience . We have players who fit the leagues demands but not much else.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 06, 2018, 07:22:36 pm by GazLaz »
It’s not budgets that gets results it getting players with ability and a willingness to go beyond there pay grade . We have not depth or resilience . We have players who fit the leagues demands but not much else.

Budget makes a massive difference. You can sign better players if you have more money, you still have to get a tune out of them but it’s easier.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 06, 2018, 07:26:43 pm by Chris Black come back »
We have a more than adequate budget to do well in this league. We have been told previously it is easily a top ten budget. The manager - whether Ferguson or whoever - needs to work to that decent budget and wring out more from his players, rather than seeking more cash. There are some senior players on good money but who are never going to play for us under the current manager (Cedric, Williams, Etheridge) and that money is wasted. It was not the decision of the Board to sign or hand out contracts to these players.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 06, 2018, 07:31:50 pm by dickos1 »
Do well as finish midtable yes, but if we've expectations of moving up the league then now is the time to sign some players

Other sides around us will, and already have this week

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 06, 2018, 07:33:41 pm by steve@dcfd »
We have a more than adequate budget to do well in this league. We have been told previously it is easily a top ten budget. The manager - whether Ferguson or whoever - needs to work to that decent budget and wring out more from his players, rather than seeking more cash. There are some senior players on good money but who are never going to play for us under the current manager (Cedric, Williams, Etheridge) and that money is wasted. It was not the decision of the Board to sign or hand out contracts to these players.

Cedric and Etheridge were wrong decisions but DF didn’t sign one or if the highest wage earner in Williams.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 06, 2018, 07:41:05 pm by ravenrover »
It's the 6th of Jan lets wait till the end of Jan before we all get suicidal

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 06, 2018, 07:45:30 pm by mushRTID »
It seems to me that he had a budget but was promised money from the arsenal game, and now this hasn't materialised

If this is true then it could be the start of a problem between DF and the board. Broken promises won’t go down well.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 06, 2018, 07:49:33 pm by DonnyOsmond »
All managers make the occasional bad signing, O'Driscoll signed Thomas, Payne, Brooker, Gary Woods, Souza. Saunders signed Harper and Fowler. Dickov signed Bywater, Razak, Main.

Williams is currently injured so may feature yet for us, Cedric is on-loan and they're paying some of his wages and we're probably going to get rid of Etheridge after his injury either on-loan or on a free.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 06, 2018, 07:57:49 pm by GazLaz »
Get Williams and Coppinger off the wage bill in the summer and that will free up plenty.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012