Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 09:40:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Leeds united legends night at the keepmoat  (Read 18367 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Leeds united legends night at the keepmoat
« Reply #90 on January 22, 2018, 02:15:55 pm by IDM »
     A
   E  H
  L     I
 O       L
M         L

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on January 22, 2018, 02:37:59 pm by glosterred »
To miss quote Churchill, never in the field of forums has so much crap been written by so few....... no doubt they will never surrender

COYR

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on January 22, 2018, 02:49:31 pm by German Rover »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/fans-upset-as-doncaster-rovers-host-event-celebrating-rivals-leeds-united-1-8972740

Shame they spoilt it by advertising the night with a phone number at the end

Shame they didn't mention the charity it's for either. Lazy journalism at its worst.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on January 22, 2018, 03:28:24 pm by Copps is Magic »
Well, I'm certainly not 'upset' or have 'blasted' the club as the Free Press suggest, but I simply think it was not a sensible idea to host the event at the Keepmoat.

And the defense 'we should do anything for money' and 'they'll be more embarrassed than us' has not convinced me otherwise.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on January 22, 2018, 03:36:07 pm by wesisback »
Do UKIP still hold their party conference in Doncaster?
Someone should let them know there's a venue that puts the pounds before their integrity.
Anyone attending that should also be more embarrassed than those not.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on January 22, 2018, 03:39:15 pm by Axholme Lion »
It was good to see them crying their eyes out at Elland Road on Saturday after being 3-2 up in the 89th minute. What a laugh we had, best away match ever! Ha ha ha.

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on January 22, 2018, 09:21:06 pm by WheatleyRover »
Would not have happened under John Ryan, its embarrassing hosting another clubs event at your ground, especially when its Leeds and all the Donny Whites.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on January 23, 2018, 08:25:21 am by German Rover »
Would not have happened under John Ryan, its embarrassing hosting another clubs event at your ground, especially when its Leeds and all the Donny Whites.

It probably would have. The catering is sub contracted to centreplate, they've organised it.  It's therefore nothing to do with the club it just happens to be in a part of the stadium where we play.  Also don't forget it's raising money for a very worthwhile cause. Have a look at what bluebell trust do before claiming you are mortified with the whole event. I'm not embarrassed and neither should you be. 

Also John Ryan is gone, he's enjoying a well deserved retirement and he isn't coming back.  Can we stop talking about him like some white knight who'll come to town and save us all from the Donny whites.  It's simply not going to happen.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on January 23, 2018, 12:20:18 pm by Lifelong supporter »
According to the Club Doncaster spokesman they 'have given rights to sell conference facilities at the stadium, in return for this right, Centerplate provide the club with a revenue stream, all of which is contribution to club running costs, including the first team.'
That's all fine and dandy but does that mean we have no veto on any event held then?
For instance what if the EDL or any other such organisation wants to hold a rally there?
If that is the case, and we have sold away our rights to decide what events are held at the stadium, perhaps Club Doncaster could tell us just how much we are getting for this deal...and how much exactly is going to the first team?   

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on January 23, 2018, 03:39:41 pm by German Rover »
According to the Club Doncaster spokesman they 'have given rights to sell conference facilities at the stadium, in return for this right, Centerplate provide the club with a revenue stream, all of which is contribution to club running costs, including the first team.'
That's all fine and dandy but does that mean we have no veto on any event held then?
For instance what if the EDL or any other such organisation wants to hold a rally there?
If that is the case, and we have sold away our rights to decide what events are held at the stadium, perhaps Club Doncaster could tell us just how much we are getting for this deal...and how much exactly is going to the first team?   

It's not the EDL though is it?

It's a fundraiser for a childrens hospice.  The money raised goes to help support sick children.  if you think some overly sensitive middle aged mens embarrassment is more important than helping kids in need then you are flat out wrong!

I think a better question would be the one about your motives.  you have regularly attacked the Club Doncaster concept in the past as well as the people who have implemented it.  So why are you so bothered?

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on January 23, 2018, 04:06:10 pm by wesisback »
Being for Charity doesn't make an event infallible and the line 'if you think some overly sensitive middle aged mens embarrassment is more important than helping kids in need then you are flat out wrong' is appalling. Nobody is suggesting that these charities don't need helping. What they're saying is that both the Rovers commercial team and Centreplate are an embarrassment for allowing such an event on in the home of Doncaster Rovers when they could have organised one for the club who reside there.
It may not be the EDL but you know it would be the same old Club apologists on the thread giving it the 'if its money into the pot' line.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on January 23, 2018, 06:00:24 pm by NickDRFC »
Don’t get me wrong I think it is an overreaction from many, but German Rover - I was as under the impression that it was for Firefly rather than Bluebell Wood. I’m also under the impression that it is “associated with” the charity, rather than being a fundraising event (could be wrong but it might be the case that a portion of profits are donated rather than everything raised after costs - perhaps someone in the know could clarify?)

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on January 23, 2018, 06:05:30 pm by Lifelong supporter »

It's a fundraiser for a childrens hospice.  The money raised goes to help support sick children.  if you think some overly sensitive middle aged mens embarrassment is more important than helping kids in need then you are flat out wrong!

I think a better question would be the one about your motives.  you have regularly attacked the Club Doncaster concept in the past as well as the people who have implemented it.  So why are you so bothered?

I'm flattered that you appear to pay close attention to my posts.
The problem is, you seem to have misread them.
I don't recall 'regularly attacking' the Club Doncaster concept at all, or the people who have implemented it.
What I would like to see is greater transparency when it comes to CD.
Who knew that Centerplate had been sold exclusive rights to sell conference facilities at the stadium and whether the terms of the deal allow a veto by Rovers?
Who knows what those rights have been sold for?
How do we assess whether we are getting value for money if we don't know?
That's why I'm bothered.
As for questioning my motives I just don't understand.
I'm a lifelong supporter.
Of Doncaster Rovers that is...not necessarily Club Doncaster.
If CD benefits DR that's great.
I'd just like it to be spelled out exactly how, and in monetary terms by how much?
Is there something dreadfully wrong with that?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on January 23, 2018, 06:09:49 pm by NickDRFC »

I'm flattered that you appear to pay close attention to my posts.
The problem is, you seem to have misread them.
I don't recall 'regularly attacking' the Club Doncaster concept at all, or the people who have implemented it.
What I would like to see is greater transparency when it comes to CD.
Who knew that Centerplate had been sold exclusive rights to sell conference facilities at the stadium and whether the terms of the deal allow a veto by Rovers?
Who knows what those rights have been sold for?
How do we assess whether we are getting value for money if we don't know?
That's why I'm bothered.
As for questioning my motives I just don't understand.
I'm a lifelong supporter.
Of Doncaster Rovers that is...not necessarily Club Doncaster.
If CD benefits DR that's great.
I'd just like it to be spelled out exactly how, and in monetary terms by how much?
Is there something dreadfully wrong with that?

Going off at a real tangent here, but to answer one of your questions “how do we assess whether we are getting value for money”...we don’t. It’s up to the business owners to assess whether they are getting value for money out of a deal like this, and if they aren’t it’s up to them to pull the plug or find someone (ie the CEO) who will find them better deals. The ins and outs of stuff like this, we have no right or need to know.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on January 23, 2018, 07:19:01 pm by hoolahoop »
For me, regardless who organises it or who promotes it, it is a big piss take to host this in our Stadium, it's clearly targeted at the Donny Whites, many of whome have never seen their "legends" (although the names mentioned can hardly be labelled legends). There are many other venues around the Doncaster area this could have taken place, but they chose the KM, IT's an insult in my opinion

I don't often agree with every word you write but I agree with every word of the above.
These are the same scumbags who thought it was funny 1) throwing cheap beer over my 9 year old on the way to the final. 2) thought it funny to run riot and stealing in those same service stations on the way back again intimidating youngsters .

Finally these are scum fans that feel they can run riot wherever and whenever they want.
They need deporting to Poland, where they can try all that shite there and see what happens. They are pathetic and it's usually the " DonnyShites " who are their ringleaders ; gobbing all over youngsters, soaking 9 year olds with beer, frightening young and old alike with their pack like mentality ......real bigly lads.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on January 23, 2018, 07:24:57 pm by hoolahoop »
Just because 'it's for charadee' does not excuse such blatant marketing of a rival business in OUR back yard. It simply perpetuates a myth.

I can understand the draw of glamour clubs at the cutting edge of the Prem. I can see that once upon a time the Damned United had a little bit of glory (more often than not as bridesmaids failing at the final hurdle) but right now and for the past quarter century they're strictly second division, practising their trade where we have ambition to be within 2 to 5 years.

Would we be happy with billboards around town promoting Rotherham, Barnsley or Scunthorpe? No. This fodder for the traitors in our midst. Fodder for future generations of ultimately deluded 'glory' seekers.

There are many ways to be rude. Dressing it up as charity is about as low as it comes, pandering to a bunch of locals who have turned their backs on what they regard is their local tinpot team.

It is not about feeling inferior in any way. It is not about regular followers being tempted away. This is the bully next door exerting his dominance, showing off, because he can. Hosting this and similar functions encourages him, gives him the feeling of superiority he needs.

This is the same friend that infiltrated our territory at Wembley and laughed at us, does so whenever they play at the Keepmoat. Here he goes again.

On principle it should never be allowed or encouraged.

Go on, use bravado and pretend it doesn't matter. But just ask yourself, what would be the reaction to an evening at Elland Road celebrating Doncaster's win at Wembley? Even if it was for a good cause?

Simply wouldn't happen. Shouldn't happen here. That evening would be better spent promoting our own legends with a dedicated local crowd, not enhancing the reputation of a bunch of scumbags, even if it is for a good cause.

It's just wrong on any level you look at it.

The bin kickers fans have disgraced themselves all over Europe so let's invite them here! Unbelievable Jeff, unbelievable.

I completely and utterly disagree with you.

That’s more polite than saying ‘what a load of rubbish’ which is what I almost wrote.

And I totally and utterly agree with him being at the sharp end of that behaviour. I wont forgive them for spoiling our day out .

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on January 24, 2018, 05:13:53 pm by DaveDRFC »
The guy organising this event has posted the following on Facebook after the article in the Free Press this week. Once again confirms the main reason for the event is to raise money for Firefly.

'After a couple of days of publicity in the Free Press regarding my event, I think it's time I cleared a few things up and said my bit as the event seems to have upset a number of people...

It is my event, not Doncaster Rovers or Leeds Utd.
Why Doncaster, not in Leeds?? I am a Doncaster based event business, a friend of mine had the class of 92 in Leeds last year and I wanted to bring them back together for another one of my charity events.
The event is supporting a local charity Firefly who I'm sure 99% of people are aware of.

It was never intended to upset anybody by having the event at the Keepmoat as I have had many of my events there, it's a venue that suits my events and also one that financially is cheaper to hire than most in Doncaster.

I was never contacted by the Free Press for comment and it's quite annoying the way they went about it. I appreciate everyone has their own opinions but be assured the sole aim of this event is to support my chosen charity Firefly.

Hopefully this clears a few things up and hopefully now i can concentrate on making the event as successful as possible and people who can and want to can support the event.

Thank you'

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on January 24, 2018, 05:31:33 pm by Donnybob »
So if the goal is purely to raise money for charity, cancel the Class of 92 and organise a different attraction that more suitably reflects the town of Doncaster. One that folk like me would be happy to support. Using charadee to excuse poor judgement is crass. There are a million other ways to raise funding that don't pander to the club that is almost certainly rated by Rovers supporters as the least liked in the land. Were this the true Class of 92, from t'wilderness over t'Pennines I could have accepted that, admittedly through gritted teeth. But hang on. Will we make a penny out of the event? Are we the ones leaving ourselves open as the club that scammed a charity out of money? If we don't then the only justification for hosting is lost. If we do, how does that make us look?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on January 24, 2018, 07:00:32 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
So if the goal is purely to raise money for charity, cancel the Class of 92 and organise a different attraction that more suitably reflects the town of Doncaster. One that folk like me would be happy to support. Using charadee to excuse poor judgement is crass. There are a million other ways to raise funding that don't pander to the club that is almost certainly rated by Rovers supporters as the least liked in the land. Were this the true Class of 92, from t'wilderness over t'Pennines I could have accepted that, admittedly through gritted teeth. But hang on. Will we make a penny out of the event? Are we the ones leaving ourselves open as the club that scammed a charity out of money? If we don't then the only justification for hosting is lost. If we do, how does that make us look?

Nobody's stopping you doing exactly what you suggest, if you feel that strongly about it, instead of knocking someone else's efforts? The organiser of this obviously does feel strongly enough about what he's organised and got off his arse and done it.

PS I wonder what badge these 'Legends' will be wearing?:lol:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on January 24, 2018, 07:05:19 pm by IDM »
That molehill is getting bigger!!

:facepalm:

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on January 24, 2018, 07:06:47 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Maybe we could develop a hotline to you Bob so anyone wishing to organise a charity event could run it by you for approval first? Alternatively you could always organise your own.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on January 24, 2018, 08:59:51 pm by johnny rovers »
Do UKIP still hold their party conference in Doncaster?
Someone should let them know there's a venue that puts the pounds before their integrity.
Anyone attending that should also be more embarrassed than those not.

How undemocratic😏

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on January 24, 2018, 11:41:12 pm by Lifelong supporter »
NickDRFC  'Going off at a real tangent here, but to answer one of your questions “how do we assess whether we are getting value for money”...we don’t. It’s up to the business owners to assess whether they are getting value for money out of a deal like this, and if they aren’t it’s up to them to pull the plug or find someone (ie the CEO) who will find them better deals. The ins and outs of stuff like this, we have no right or need to know.
[/quote]

Are you saying we have no right or need to know anything about Club Doncaster?

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on January 25, 2018, 07:33:29 am by Muttley »
It's a private company, so technically we have no right to know anything beyond what is required by law to be published in their annual accounts.

If you really want to know more, you could always match the current owners' investments and I'm sure they would welcome you on to the board of directors with open arms.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on January 25, 2018, 07:59:52 am by IDM »
NickDRFC  'Going off at a real tangent here, but to answer one of your questions “how do we assess whether we are getting value for money”...we don’t. It’s up to the business owners to assess whether they are getting value for money out of a deal like this, and if they aren’t it’s up to them to pull the plug or find someone (ie the CEO) who will find them better deals. The ins and outs of stuff like this, we have no right or need to know.

Are you saying we have no right or need to know anything about Club Doncaster?
[/quote]

That's not how I read it - change the word to "everything" and your sentence is more accurate..

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on January 25, 2018, 08:06:02 am by DonnyOsmond »
I'm pro making money for charity which I assume everyone would be.

However, I don't think Leeds fans would be happy if their was an event at Elland Road of the Man Utd team of 99. A mid table League One team doesn't want a bigger club from 40 miles away in the league above in our own back yard and I assume a mid table Championship team wouldn't want a bigger club from 40 miles away in the league above them in their back yard either.

To me, this guy should have either booked somewhere in Leeds/Wakefield or booked someone else at the Keepmoat.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on January 25, 2018, 10:30:53 am by bobjimwilly »
Do some of you really see our "rivalry" with Leeds the same as Leeds v Man U?  :facepalm:

to me, this event is for a few Leeds fans in/around Donny to get together and meet their Legends of yesteryear. Absolutely no danger to our fan base, no danger of attracting new fans from Donny, but it will raise money for the club and a local charity. Am I missing something?

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on January 25, 2018, 10:57:33 am by anne honemous »
Do some of you really see our "rivalry" with Leeds the same as Leeds v Man U?  :facepalm:

to me, this event is for a few Leeds fans in/around Donny to get together and meet their Legends of yesteryear. Absolutely no danger to our fan base, no danger of attracting new fans from Donny, but it will raise money for the club and a local charity. Am I missing something?

There's similarities.

Leeds don't give a monkeys about us, even though some of our fans are obsessed about them.

Likewise, Man United fans don't give a monkeys about Leeds, even though some Leeds fans will class them as the biggest rivals.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on January 25, 2018, 11:02:07 am by bobjimwilly »
but Leeds were, at one point, the big rivals to Man U, and Man U fans would have felt the same way back then. We have never been big rivals to Leeds.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on January 25, 2018, 11:38:48 am by anne honemous »
but Leeds were, at one point, the big rivals to Man U, and Man U fans would have felt the same way back then. We have never been big rivals to Leeds.

Think Man United's biggest rivals over the years have been Liverpool. Man City second biggest rivals, then they've probably given a passing thought to their noisy neighbours on t'other side of hill.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012