Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 05:07:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 5513 times)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Re: Hello
« Reply #30 on February 28, 2018, 06:10:01 pm by graingrover »
and the smell of linament in the dressing room .. the one big bath for the whole team .. the tie ups for your stockings , but especially NO SUBS and the way you automatically carried on regardless . ( See youtube for the famous Mathese final Blackpool v Bolton and the wounded warriors playing on . ).

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 28, 2018, 09:07:31 pm by niteowler »
I think the game that started the change in the way we played was the game against Hungary in the 50s at the old Wembley Their team included the likes of the Messi of the 50s Puskas , Hiderguti and many more skillful players , a game everybody expected us to win. What happened was unheard of and they tore us to shreds winning 6 3 (i think). After that i always remember the late, great Ken Wolstenholme referring to it as the "continental style of play". And we are where we are now,time moves on!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 28, 2018, 09:41:46 pm by graingrover »
 Charles Buchan ! Cigarette cards of footballers . Cup Final on black n white TV with programme on all day .

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on March 01, 2018, 09:27:27 am by Donnywolf »
I think the game that started the change in the way we played was the game against Hungary in the 50s at the old Wembley Their team included the likes of the Messi of the 50s Puskas , Hiderguti and many more skillful players , a game everybody expected us to win. What happened was unheard of and they tore us to shreds winning 6 3 (i think). After that i always remember the late, great Ken Wolstenholme referring to it as the "continental style of play". And we are where we are now,time moves on!

Here are the Black and White highlights which include the "memorable - for me" drag back for their third goal. I was 2 and a bit at the time and of course I did not see it (or any TV) till 1959 BUT it is a goal that got burned into my memory through my early years !

Good to see the Ref hurrying along the scoring Team - an early form of time wasting - and moving a Free Kick further from goal - but it only seemed to help Hungary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wdW5p3jd2Y

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on March 01, 2018, 02:12:15 pm by niteowler »
Thanks for that Wolf, first time i have seen that footage since the 50s when i was young sprog! Brilliant.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012