Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 06:19:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Southend game  (Read 5964 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Let's talk about the Southend game
« on March 02, 2018, 04:23:32 pm by scawsby steve »
Sorry, Brian, I've beat you to it, but let's face it, we've no football between now and then, and I'll be going stir crazy with boredom this weekend.

The biggest hope for me is that we have some defenders back by then, because Southend have been on red hot form since Chris Powell took over, and they'll feel that they owe us one after the thrashings we've given them in our last two meetings. Thoughts anyone?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Southend game
« Reply #1 on March 02, 2018, 04:29:45 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I have noticed that there has been a pattern recently of doing well or badly against certain teams, with no obvious reason or form. So we do badly against Walsall and Rotherham over recent (sometimes even non recent) years, but well against Portsmouth and, dare I say it, Southend. Remember the FA Cup win there in our Conference days?

Quietly hopeful, even though this is our most difficult remaining away match on paper.

I am guessing Boyle should be fit, and maybe even an outside chance of Butler and/or Williams?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 02, 2018, 05:16:52 pm by RoversAlias »
Poor Selby, it snows and his gimmick gets stolen.

Seriously though, let's hope we can get back to full training with a more complete squad and get a result here, because it will be a very tough game. They're a totally different prospect to the one we beat 4-1.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 03, 2018, 10:59:50 am by Bollinger »
I have noticed that there has been a pattern recently of doing well or badly against certain teams, with no obvious reason or form. So we do badly against Walsall and Rotherham over recent (sometimes even non recent) years, but well against Portsmouth and, dare I say it, Southend. Remember the FA Cup win there in our Conference days?

Quietly hopeful, even though this is our most difficult remaining away match on paper.

I am guessing Boyle should be fit, and maybe even an outside chance of Butler and/or Williams?

Now that cup game was immense. The first real sign that Rovers might just be on their way back. I remember Andy Woods caught everything under lots of pressure as the game wore on, Lee Warren was immense and showed what a class performer he could be. Major memories though were of Snods constantly screaming in the ear of Ybarra to get him into position and Simon Shaw going absolutely mental when the final whistle went. I reckon he didn't come down for a week.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 03, 2018, 11:04:43 am by selby »
 You think that it is a slow day, and disappointed our game is off, so you concentrate on watching share prices and try to make a bob or two, to keep the wolves away, and BINGO some thief has stolen your thread title.
  I suppose it is my fault for not registering the publishing rights, and being able to sue, but hey ho at least people are talking about a serious subject, the next Rovers game.
   Seriously I would like to thank the people who have joined in the banter, and dont mind one bit an early start.
  R.A.I dont see it as a gimmick, more just a get away from the arguing and bickering that was going on at one time, when after listening to other people's opinions at games, realised there was a much more grown up discussion to be had if it could be brought out into the open.
   I have thought about registering THE REAL LETS TALK ABOUT THE SOUTHEND GAME thread but have decided to eat humble pie for a week, until one minute past midnight next week. which has reminded me to get on the phone and order some away tickets, talk to you later and keep the banter coming.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 03, 2018, 12:20:52 pm by RoversAlias »
I was only jesting Selby mate!  :P

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 03, 2018, 12:39:26 pm by RedJ »
Got a massive chomp there. ;)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 03, 2018, 12:54:59 pm by selby »
  I know R.A.it was taken that way, I hope everyone keeps posting, and there is nothing wrong with a bit of leg pulling.
  But that bloody Scawsby better watch out.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 03, 2018, 03:54:54 pm by scawsby steve »
I'll get Dave to protect me, Brian. One of his farts will be enough to keep you away.

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 03, 2018, 04:09:12 pm by colfromdonny »
Was shocked to see the author of this thread, there are some things you just don't do.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 03, 2018, 04:15:37 pm by scawsby steve »
You'll have to report me for plagiarism then.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 03, 2018, 04:23:26 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
southend 0 warsaw ! 2 amint

is this good or bad ?

update 0-3 now and sky sports say Walsall are safe

meanwhile Oldham scored a fluke deflection  to lead 1-0 before now scoring a proper goal for 0-2
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 04:43:12 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 04, 2018, 08:54:24 am by roversdude »
Looked like Southend were playing on a beach yesterday

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 04, 2018, 09:20:12 am by idler »
Well they are on the sea shore.🙂

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 04, 2018, 02:54:26 pm by selby »
  Their first defeat under Powell since he took over in January, they played 4 4 2 Walsall 4 4 1 1 the sme set up when they spanked us ta the KM.
   The Walsall manager said they stifled them in midfield and built on that, something Walsall have done to us twice this season, and I do not think we have the players to do the same to teams. We definitely do not have a Chambers or Bishop to do the job they do. So how would you play it?
    Southend did not look blessed with a lot of pace at the back in the home game, and might be something we can exploit, but taking our chances is the key in most of our away games.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 06, 2018, 09:24:23 am by selby »
  Looking at Southend's match highlights last weekend. and threads on their supporters site, the stand out concern could be the state of their pitch.
   They comment that they have suffered a lot of injuries in home games, caused by studs getting stuck in the turf, and the match highlights of the Walsall game showed a heavily sanded, and cut up surface to the pitch.
  The interesting thing was the Walsall goals, two of which were very similar with a player cutting in from the right and very static defenders, and possibly the goalkeeper should have done better with shots from outside the box.
  That's it then we do not score goals from outside the box on the run, but we can live in hope.
  Cox is their best attacker and is a clever player who will have to be watched, but generally if the game at the KM is anything to go by, getting at them in wide positions and controlling the midfield would be our best option.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 06, 2018, 05:59:47 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
  Cox is their best attacker and is a clever player who will have to be watched,
fortunately knitely who is their REAL best striker is injured (Ranger of monopoly "go to gaol" fame has gone  ) is Theo still there ???

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 06, 2018, 08:00:36 pm by selby »
 Seems as though their REAL BEST WINGER Kniteley made a substitute come back in the second half last week end and was awarded 5 out of ten in the F B League paper, and is available this weekend.
   Cox and our old past player Fortune seem to be their supporters choice of front runners CLH, In a 442 formation.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 07, 2018, 09:36:00 pm by the vicar »
I'll get Dave to protect me, Brian. One of his farts will be enough to keep you away.
are you talking about me there Steve mate

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 08, 2018, 02:32:42 am by scawsby steve »

Yes Dave. You once dropped one next to me in the concourse, and it went straight to the back of my forehead. I've never recovered since.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 08, 2018, 06:08:55 am by Donnywolf »
, to keep the wolves away,

I am in favour of that especially after last night !

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 08, 2018, 09:08:48 am by selby »
  Looking at the weather forcast down there on Saturday, and the state of their pitch last weekend, I hope we do not travel down there to find the match off, or worse a Charlton situation, unless we are on the wrong end of the score of course.
   It's good to see some of our injured players returning to fitness, and I have hopes of a decent ent to the season for a change.
   Key to that is consistency, both on the field, and in team selection. A settled line up, and our best players (Baudry) and players in their best positions( Mason, Rowe, Garrett, Rodney) who have all had to play in positions not best suited to them, or in Garretts case not played when we needed a left sided defender, have in my opinion stunted our progress this season.
  Anyway I am looking forward to the game, and hopefully a good performance, its a long way back if we have been poor.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 10, 2018, 11:01:50 am by Donnywolf »
Seriously how difficult is it to even predict the Result ahead of time OR .... should I say correctly predict the result

Easy to say win lose or draw (for PvO) but to get it right ? I am often swayed to choose Rovers after watching them "do well" at home and have often been too bullish

On the other hand getting some Players back looks positive and with them getting battered by Walsall does that mean they are on the slide or do they bounce back ?

Cant see us keeping a clean sheet nor failing to score either

So there you have it - I aint got a clue but have opten for Draw in PvO and 2-2 Draw in another Comp where it is even more difficult as you need to predict the Score as well

So as Klopp says "who knows"

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 10, 2018, 11:13:00 am by Bentley Bullet »
The problem I find is predicting anything other than a win provides a conflict of interest, especially for home games when I'm more likely to attend the game. I'm ashamed to say I once found comfort in a team scoring a late equaliser against us after finding consolation from my draw prediction in the PvO!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 10, 2018, 10:50:03 pm by the vicar »

Yes Dave. You once dropped one next to me in the concourse, and it went straight to the back of my forehead. I've never recovered since.
listen mate if you are going to do a good one it is worth sharing but how do you know i did it lol

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 11, 2018, 12:10:20 am by NickDRFC »

listen mate if you are going to do a good one it is worth sharing but how do you know i did it lol

lol Dave lol, rofl 🤣

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 11, 2018, 03:25:07 am by scawsby steve »

Because after I regained consciousness, you admitted it. Lol

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 11, 2018, 09:57:09 am by selby »
  Yesterdays game, and the one at Rotherham, to me may be the sign that we have turned a bit of a corner in our team development.
   Both games proved that unlike at Walsall, we can do the basic, battling stuff that a team requires to be competitive, when conditions are not the greatest.
  That's where I take umbrance with other threads on here criticising Tommy Roe. Admitted he did not go on his usual penetrating runs, and neither did anyone else except Coppinger on both sides, Kniteley included. but he had one of his best games off the ball getting a foot in, making tackles on the edge of our box, and covered a hell of a lot of ground down our left side, the part of the game a lot do not see.
   I don't think anyone had a bad game at all, it was difficult surface, playing Blair at the back on the right always leaves us open to crosses coming in from that side, but Baudry and Wright dealt with that fairly well aided by McCollough, and everyone knows that Mason is more suited to the right side in defence.
   If I was to criticise it would be Kiwomyas constant trying a flick, or having one touch, and then losing the ball, and not being able to hold the ball up as front runners do.
  I also think it is time if he is fit to get Williams on as the front running substitute, Alfie May has now had about five or six chances to affect a game as a substitute, and has offered very very little, not getting into the game at all after coming on, and not providing any threat at all.
   We  did miss Beestin alongside Marquis yesterday, who would have given us that control up front,  but the big plus was McCollough, who is a class act at this level, and the return of Baudry, another good player, if those two had played more games this season we would be safe now.
   All in all a pleasing point, the highlights two tremendous saves one each by both goalkeepers, Marosi loves to kick the ball into the managers box area but pulled off a world class save, and after watching their highlights last week, their goalkeepers double save left me thinking why us.
   We will need the same attitude and work rate in a couple of difficult upcoming games, more of that later.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 11, 2018, 10:53:07 am by Donnywolf »
Look forward to you Posting the Thread  :evil:

Also heartened by the above write up / analysis as of course I was not there !  :thumbsup:

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 12, 2018, 11:18:37 am by bobjimwilly »
man of the match poll now up --> https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=265522

TinyPortal © 2005-2012