Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 07:26:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Corner Flag "quadrants"  (Read 3664 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Corner Flag "quadrants"
« on April 25, 2018, 07:30:45 am by Donnywolf »
Yes not a staggering topic but is it time for a "change" ?

Time and again we see Players of all sides wanting to put the ball outside the quadrant. We see crowds baying because it is or maybe not touching the line

The Ref comes to check and makes a Player move the ball - and sometimes it is judged as being in a valid place. Last nights Corner from which BRFC scored looked like it was not valid

So I cant understand why the Players pinch maybe an inch ? I can see why they do it to waste time so why not make it a square instead of a quadrant and make the law say "the whole ball must be in the square" and we can move on !

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

weststander

• VSC Member
Re: Corner Flag "quadrants"
« Reply #1 on April 25, 2018, 08:05:18 am by weststander »
It’s all part of the cheating mentality that is rife in the game. Stealing yards at free kicks and throws and then they moan at the officials when they are corrected

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 25, 2018, 09:16:59 am by RedJ »
The shape would make absolutely no difference. Extending it will just make it possible to steal even more yardage as they'll stick it just beyond the corner of the square.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 25, 2018, 09:18:08 am by Bentley Bullet »
Many points are gained throughout a season by cheating. That's why you'll find the best cheats are often at the top of the table.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 25, 2018, 09:37:10 am by Donnywolf »
The shape would make absolutely no difference. Extending it will just make it possible to steal even more yardage as they'll stick it just beyond the corner of the square.

Ah ... but my point is make a 1 Metre Square rather than the current 1 metre quadrant and the ball has to be totally within it - enclosed - not on any line at all... so nobody can get any nearer than anyone else

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 25, 2018, 09:42:05 am by Pancho Regan »
I had a perfect view of it and the whole of the ball was clearly outside the quadrant for the corner from which they scored, so by the letter of the law the goal should have been disallowed and the corner re-taken.

But the Lino on our side was never going to spot that, given that he'd given a throw-in when Beestin kept the ball in play earlier!

You are right Donnywolf. Placing the ball on the very edge, or outside of the quadrant seems to have become the latest 'fashion'!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 25, 2018, 09:56:20 am by selby »
  Bring back the old leather "T" ball, they could place it where they liked in the weather last night, it would have only have gone about 20 yards, hurt the kickers foot in the modern boots, and nobody but nobody would want to head it, or would possibly have to  visit to the hospital with concussion.
  Bloody hell, they hurt.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 25, 2018, 10:07:17 am by Bristol Red Rover »
The inconsistency on corner taking is small and insignificant. Maybe if a player has taken or is attempting to take a kick where the "whole ball as viewed from above" is outsite the line, then it should become a goal kick. Peristant offending a booking.

The inconsistency of this is on the touchline and the goal line. I've never seen a lino or even a pundit mention how the "whole ball as viewed from above" has to cross the touchline for it too be out of play. Throw ins/corners are always given when the base of the ball crosses the line (Ball C below), this is clearly wrong.

This above mistake used to be frequently the way a goal was interpreted too before goal line technology made it clear about the "whole ball must cross the line".

Balls A, B and C are still in play as they have not wholly crossed the touchline. Ball D has completely passed over the touchline, and is out of play.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:09:37 am by Bristol Red Rover »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 25, 2018, 10:12:30 am by Bentley Bullet »
  Bring back the old leather "T" ball, they could place it where they liked in the weather last night, it would have only have gone about 20 yards, hurt the kickers foot in the modern boots, and nobody but nobody would want to head it, or would possibly have to  visit to the hospital with concussion.
  Bloody hell, they hurt.
They hurt even more when the bloody lace came undone and nearly took your eye out.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:17:25 am by Bentley Bullet »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 25, 2018, 11:28:04 am by selby »
  BB, as a defender you used to pick out the big lads they were aiming for, and pick someone else up, preferably at the far post, the safest place in the area.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 25, 2018, 06:38:27 pm by deebee »
ball not in quad see here

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 25, 2018, 07:32:48 pm by PDX_Rover »
I mentioned this after their goal. It probably didn't make a difference all things told but it's the principle isn't it? Just before the move that led to the corner where they scored, Williams got absolutely flattened - clear free kick - and nada. Things like that change games. I know they even out etc. but still... HUMBUG.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 25, 2018, 08:34:49 pm by drfchound »
I mentioned this after their goal. It probably didn't make a difference all things told but it's the principle isn't it? Just before the move that led to the corner where they scored, Williams got absolutely flattened - clear free kick - and nada. Things like that change games. I know they even out etc. but still... HUMBUG.

I remember that now you mention it PDX.
It was a clear foul but not given.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 25, 2018, 10:14:05 pm by drfchound »
When was the rule changed anyway?
I seem to recall that the ball did have to be inside the quadrant, not just touching the line.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 25, 2018, 11:57:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
This season. Not sure but it maybe to do with the ball not sitting right on the line and quite often the quadrant is scuffed up, so they allow the ball to be placed outside as long as it overlaps the line to get a better lye.

As said a better solution would be a bigger quadrant and the ball must be placed inside but can overlap the line.

By the same token it won't be long before they apply the same to the penalty spot!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 26, 2018, 05:52:22 am by Donnywolf »

Best way to eradicate it would be the whole of the ball has to be inside the quadrant and if any of it is outside, then the referee blows his whistle and orders it to be inside the quadrant completely. If it's not done, then it's a goal-kick.

Exactly --- just as I advocated in my OP and Reply #4 above

Ah ... but my point is make a 1 Metre Square rather than the current 1 metre quadrant and the ball has to be totally within it - enclosed - not on any line at all... so nobody can get any nearer than anyone else

I also agree that there are much more opportunities for stealing yardage elsewhere as well

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 26, 2018, 10:37:39 am by colfromdonny »
Maybe the players should just put the ball in its proper place and stop being knobs,

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 26, 2018, 10:57:27 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
They are allowed to place it outside, it's not the players being nobs.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 26, 2018, 01:14:53 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

As Rigo said above, it's so minutely marginally outside it wouldn't make any difference to anything. I watched a vid of the game taken by a Blackburn blogger and the Blackburn corner taker consistently placed the ball in about the same place, always with the base of the ball just outside the quadrant but when looking from above it would have been just touching the quadrant line - ie perfectly legal. On that occasion it appears to be maybe a centimentre out.

The rule appears to have been clarified rather than changed. The interpretation of that rule has certainly changed. Now, all over the pitch on all lines the whole ball has to be over the line to be over, not just the base.

Goals - that's now been clarified with the coming of goaline tech. In the past I've seen post match analysis looking at the centre of the ball being over the line. It seemed players and refs saw it that way too.

Corners - discussed above.

Goaline and touchline - the rule actually applies the same here but the application of that rule is flakey. It seems when the ball is in the air, the judgement is for the whole ball to need to cross the line (correct). When the ball is on the floor, the judgement of the ref and lino is almost universally that where the ball is in contact with the grass has to cross the line (incorrect).

Taking all this further, it should be that if a player is stood outside the pen box but is fouled by contact that from an above view is inside the box (including the lines), that should be a pen. I've always seen the judgement based on where the players feet are.

How best to logically and practically apply all this - seems to me that in the case of throw ins and corners, the law should be applied for the whole ball to neeed to cross or a ball in a position as viewed from above could be in play if off the ground, but out if on the floor with its contact with the grass being over the line. Trickier for linos but consistent. For corners I think a simple amendment should come in to make application of the rule simpler, where in this case only, the ball is out of the quadrant when it's contact with the grass is over the line.

Sorted  :police:

Now, watch for those incorrect decisions on ball out of play on the goal line and touchline!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 26, 2018, 06:05:45 pm by ravenrover »
Is there a specified dimension that the white lines have to be?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 26, 2018, 06:27:50 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Is there a specified dimension that the white lines have to be?

Probably, but it doesn't matter too much as it's the edge of that line that counts.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 26, 2018, 07:40:29 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It's just arrogance if you ask me. What difference does a couple of inches closer make?

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 27, 2018, 08:19:31 am by deebee »
My wife says a couple of inches makes a big difference.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 27, 2018, 08:52:02 am by Chris Black come back »
Where is Nudga when you need him.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 27, 2018, 09:39:34 am by RedJ »
With your wife, obviously.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 27, 2018, 10:34:42 am by phil old leake »
If you need to put the ball on the outside of the line to take a decent free kick you should be handing your wages back.  Just another fxxxing fad by prima Donna players.   Gets on my tits.   The other thing that gets my goat is the length of time it takes to take a throwing. Arsing around

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 28, 2018, 10:21:39 am by idler »
Just make the line twice as wide and insist that the ball must be touching it.
The annoying thing is that the only reason we are debating most of football's rules is due to players cheating and bending or ignoring current and past ones.
How many foul throws are there in games now without being pulled up.
Pinching yards at every free kick or throw in, blatant time wasting.
The wrestling matches at every corner kick and play acting and diving.
Football has lost it's honesty which only disappoints true fans.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 28, 2018, 10:44:37 am by Bentley Bullet »
It's all about cheating now from start to finish, and referees should take some of the blame for causing it. In order to get a penalty, for instance, a player has to fall over to get one, and if he doesn't he simply won't get one. A prime example of this was the Bear hug on Alfie May against Oxford. Some players would have convincingly gone down in a heap in that instance.

Unfortunately, Rovers players are crap at 'diving', so much so that I think a couple of them have got a bit of a reputation for it. That's probably why we rarely get penalties these days. They've been sussed!

Most of the good divers play for the top of the league teams. That's probably why a lot of those teams are at the top!

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 28, 2018, 06:18:45 pm by Jimmydee »
I noticed that Mason took a corner and the ball was inside the quadrant, is that allowed nowadays, it seemed alien to watch

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 28, 2018, 06:45:56 pm by ravenrover »
My Missus rants on about holding and general fouling in the penalty area when a corner is being taken and how to stop it, simple give a penalty kick

TinyPortal © 2005-2012