Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 06:51:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Your favourite or least annoying

Clive Tydesley
16 (25.8%)
Guy Mowbray
29 (46.8%)
Steve Wilson
1 (1.6%)
John Champion
12 (19.4%)
Vicki Sparks
4 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: July 02, 2018, 08:46:53 am

Author Topic: Best World Cup Commentator  (Read 5152 times)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
Re: Best World Cup Commentator
« Reply #30 on July 06, 2018, 10:57:46 pm by Lesonthewest »
Give me David Coleman & Barry Davies anyday! Commentators & pundits alike are awful with the exception of Gary Neville, Ferdinand & Shearer. But for his faults I would love to see Andy Gray back as a pundit, love him or hate him he did it with a bit of excitement & passion.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 07, 2018, 06:45:41 pm by drfchound »
The one that comes up with a phrase as famous as the one by Ken Wolstenholme if we score a late goal to win the Final on Sunday.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on July 08, 2018, 09:30:45 am by ravenrover »
Good grief how bad is that bloke on BBC

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on July 08, 2018, 10:46:48 am by The Red Baron »
Good grief how bad is that bloke on BBC

The one for the England game yesterday? He was dreadful. At one point I was yelling at the TV. If I know that linesmen have been told to keep the flag down on tight offsides (because of VAR) so should he!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on July 08, 2018, 11:00:01 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Danny Murphy on viewing the replay of Henderson being head butted against Colombia.

“That’s a penalty!”
Repeated half a dozen times.

No, Danny, you wonderful “expert summariser” you. That’s not a penalty because the game had already stopped for a free kick.

Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 08, 2018, 11:34:03 am by Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin »
My favourite bits are when the pundits are on the telly saying something like "If he was a foreigners we would be talking about him on the telly but because he's English we are not" "You'd have a former England Striker and Captain showing clips with lines drawn on it and talking about his movement to Gary Lineker, if he was Hazard or someone but No! These stupid pundits on the telly don't talk about him because he is English. Biased, Rubbish BBC, I hate them"

SHEARER!! YOU ARE ON THE TELLY RIGHT NOW!!! USE SOME OF THAT SPACIAL AWARENESS YOU HAD AS A CENTER FORWARD TO WORK OUT THAT YOU ARE IN THE MOTD STUDIO BROADCASTING LIVE.

rio did it yesterday about Hendo "If that was Pirlo, All the pundits would be saying "pass of the tournament" but because he''s English none of the pundits will say that"
Then Shearer interrupts "Pass of the tournament for sure!, I think Rio''s right if that was Pirlo you'd have pundits interrupting other pundits just to agree with them that it was brilliant but because he's English they don't"
I have no idea where they think they are. Klinsmann thought he could speak English until he sat though that yesterday

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 08, 2018, 11:54:28 am by Chris Black come back »
In game commentators have three roles:

1. To provide some nice soothing background accompaniment to the on-field action

2. To give you insights about the play that as an amateur viewer you would not realise (especially from former players)

3. To reflect some of the atmosphere in the stadium

If you are not doing one of these then you are wasting time for everyone.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 08, 2018, 12:02:49 pm by Cantley Rover »
Give me David Coleman & Barry Davies anyday! Commentators & pundits alike are awful with the exception of Gary Neville, Ferdinand & Shearer. But for his faults I would love to see Andy Gray back as a pundit, love him or hate him he did it with a bit of excitement & passion.

Gary Neville is a total plank and should never be allowed anywhere near any kind of version of motd.

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 08, 2018, 12:11:03 pm by niteowler »
The comment by the one and only Ken Wolstenholme that sticks in my mind was in the 66 world cup when in the last minute with England winning 3 2 and  Geoff Hurst bearing down on goal he quoted "There are some people on the pitch, they think its all over" Hurst subsequently buried it and his comment was "It is now". What a day.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on July 08, 2018, 12:35:31 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
The comment by the one and only Ken Wolstenholme that sticks in my mind was in the 66 world cup when in the last minute with England winning 3 2 and  Geoff Hurst bearing down on goal he quoted "There are some people on the pitch, they think its all over" Hurst subsequently buried it and his comment was "It is now". What a day.

What a day, indeed!...........and I was there! Never to be forgotten!  :bscarf:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on July 08, 2018, 06:27:32 pm by idler »
Danny Murphy on viewing the replay of Henderson being head butted against Colombia.

“That’s a penalty!”
Repeated half a dozen times.

No, Danny, you wonderful “expert summariser” you. That’s not a penalty because the game had already stopped for a free kick.
BST, my son is currently training in his new job and his tutor is a referee at National League standard. He said that according to directives a yellow was a correct punishment. Apparently because he put his head on his chest and then rubbed his head up into his face it isn't classed as a head butt.
Splitting hairs or what? I'd have sent him off and let them complain later.

PDS

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 09, 2018, 04:23:28 pm by PDS »
Yeah folks. Sorry. I was over the top earlier.

I’m currently revelling in Simon Brotherton and Danny Murphy in the Iceland-Croatia match discussing whether the ref has blown for a foul because he needed a breather, when it was bleeding obvious that there’d been a body check. Then taking three replays to see a handball that was obvious first time. And saying that you’ve got to keep your head over the ball when you hit a shot from distance.

I don’t know how I’d possibly follow the action without those insights to help me out.

8 year olds watch football too you know? If someone had told me to keep my head over the ball when I was eight, I'd have been playing for Barcelona by now. Probably....

Problem is that you obviously live on a far superior intellectual plain than the rest of us lesser mortals. Commentary is for the masses, not the few.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012