Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 07:53:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Good luck Grant McCann  (Read 13438 times)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
Re: Good luck Grant McCann
« Reply #30 on June 26, 2018, 10:12:58 pm by Lesonthewest »
Maybe we could have appointed Richie Wellens, he was sacked aswell.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 26, 2018, 10:18:01 pm by Cantley Rover »
He didn't match the criteria set down in the job description........Oh wait a minute.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on June 26, 2018, 10:18:06 pm by since-1969 »
Just pleased we have got a manager (if true) who meets all the criteria set. Ah well good luck all the same.
What WAS the criteria !! Because we are obviously not fussed who we give the job too. We have decent group of players and back room staff . This over rated and underachieving nobody looks like taking the job with the board supposedly having carried out their due diligence . Same old same old .

It was on the Rovers website about 3 week ago. Go find it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on June 26, 2018, 10:20:12 pm by Bentley Bullet »
What are the board playing at , surly this t**t could have been announced sooner if they are adamant he’s the man , he has NO track record  to shout about. I want success like anybody else , I hope I’m wrong , but I can’t see him lasting a season . But sincerely hope I’m wrong. WTF***

Managers who had no track record to speak of before we took them on.

Peter Doherty
Lawrie McMenemy
Billy Bremner
Dave Penney

Managers who had lots of track record before we took them on.
Dave Mackay
Darren Ferguson.

Peter Doherty and Billy Bremner were very big names in football prior to their appointments. Their contacts were invaluable, and their roles of player-manager meant the club was getting player quality of a rare level.

Lawrie McMenemy had a very successful spell as manager of Bishop Auckland, transforming the club in fact.

Dave Penney was given a relatively massive budget to get Rovers out of the Conference.

ALL the above became Rovers manager when in the bottom tier of the football league, other than Penney who became manager in the Conference.

Dave Mackay and Darren Ferguson became managers when Rovers were in League 1.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:22:30 pm by Bentley Bullet »

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 26, 2018, 10:22:12 pm by since-1969 »
Just pleased we have got a manager (if true) who meets all the criteria set. Ah well good luck all the same.
What WAS the criteria !! Because we are obviously not fussed who we give the job too. We have decent group of players and back room staff . This over rated and underachieving nobody looks like taking the job with the board supposedly having carried out their due diligence . Same old same old .

YOUR the one spouting about criteria. If he has any credentials at all I’ll be astonished.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 26, 2018, 10:27:19 pm by eastender »

A working knowledge of the EFL or its equivalent -
A proven track record of securing results on the field -
Ability to develop a first team that can play an attractive style of football -
The ability to develop players and staff - Success in managing a playing budget -
Excellent contacts within the football community -
Proven track record of developing a youth structure and pathway -
A proven leader - A pleasing and willing personality -
A commitment to the vision and values of Club Doncaster

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 26, 2018, 10:30:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It appears the last two requirements were of major importance.

Southboy

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 26, 2018, 10:39:18 pm by Southboy »
I'm encouraged that the Posh fans were well miffed when he was fired which speaks well of him.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 26, 2018, 10:46:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
What are the board playing at , surly this t**t could have been announced sooner if they are adamant he’s the man , he has NO track record  to shout about. I want success like anybody else , I hope I’m wrong , but I can’t see him lasting a season . But sincerely hope I’m wrong. WTF***

Managers who had no track record to speak of before we took them on.

Peter Doherty
Lawrie McMenemy
Billy Bremner
Dave Penney

Managers who had lots of track record before we took them on.
Dave Mackay
Darren Ferguson.

Peter Doherty and Billy Bremner were very big names in football prior to their appointments. Their contacts were invaluable, and their roles of player-manager meant the club was getting player quality of a rare level.

Lawrie McMenemy had a very successful spell as manager of Bishop Auckland, transforming the club in fact.

Dave Penney was given a relatively massive budget to get Rovers out of the Conference.

ALL the above became Rovers manager when in the bottom tier of the football league, other than Penney who became manager in the Conference.

Dave Mackay and Darren Ferguson became managers when Rovers were in League 1.

BB

I’ll take your critique of the successful 4 on the chin.

As for the other two, well you kind of make my point. Both managers with a track record of success (and failure of course, but then realistically, we’re unlikely to be able to recruit a manager with an unblemished record at this and higher level). Both took us down quite spectacularly.

My point is that there is no fixed correlation between previous track record and future performance at this level.

Sean O’Driscoll had a mixed record at Bournemouth before he joined us. He’d managed to somehow miss out on a play-off place in 04/05 by picking up only 10 points from the last 10 games and 1 from the last 3. In 01/02, he’d got relegated with a squad that included Elliott, Feeney, Carl Fletcher, Stock, Hayter and Howe. Didn’t stop him being magnificent for us. And that didn’t stop him achieving very little after he left us.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on June 26, 2018, 10:47:09 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Some comments on here are just mind blowing! Why the hell would you write off a new Manager before he’s even been officially announced!!

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 26, 2018, 10:52:56 pm by tommy toes »
Yes good luck to Mr McCann if indeed he has got the job. He seems to be a very hard working and well respected bloke.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 26, 2018, 10:55:57 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I don't understand where this myth comes from that Grant McCann failed at Peterborough.

They had 47 points from 33 games at the time of his departure and were six points off the play-offs with two games in hand. They also had a better GD. In a nutshell, they weren't in pole position but they were certainly in contention, even though they hadn't won in half a dozen games.

Peterborough's board just pressed the panic button and got rid of him in favour of a more experienced manager who still didn't deliver the play-offs.

McCann's win percentage was bang on 40% over 105 games. Big budget or not, you still have to deliver results and there won't be many managers out there who've achieved that sort of win ratio in their first managerial job in the Football League.

Think folk should give him a chance tbh.

Because facts are conveniently ignored if you’re the type of person who’s determined to have a good old moan at every opportunity.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 26, 2018, 10:57:47 pm by Michael Shaw »
I don't really care who gets the job as long as he is given the freedom and budget to get us back on course as fast as possible. Hopefully the board will make the right choice. But we all want some news on signings and progress surely? We seem to have been stuck in limbo far too long.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on June 26, 2018, 11:00:20 pm by since-1969 »

The ability to develop players and staff - Success in managing a playing budget -

If any of the above has been proven to useful then surely McCann should not have got through the door . We are finally seeing what a cut price alternative to a sensible selection looks like , I honestly thought we had seen enough of irrational appointments when Dickov was sacked, but in Grant McCann we have the next generation of  pointless ill conceived choices.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on June 26, 2018, 11:08:15 pm by selby »
BB, it's a good job some of our supporters didn't pick the Rotherham, and the Shrewsbury managers, or the lad who got Scunthorpe in the playoffs.
  Had any of those managed before, the Rotherham and Scunthorpe managers were on the backroom staff, and the Cardiff manager started off  as a chiropodist I think and a part time manager at Scarborough.
  For gods sake give whoever gets the job a chance.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 26, 2018, 11:12:19 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

If any of the above has been proven to useful then surely McCann should not have got through the door . We are finally seeing what a cut price alternative to a sensible selection looks like , I honestly thought we had seen enough of irrational appointments when Dickov was sacked, but in Grant McCann we have the next generation of  pointless ill conceived choices.

So if it is McCann you’ve already written him off before he’s even begun? That’s the spirit fella! How does the chant go “Rovers till I...get a Manager I don’t like the look of”?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on June 26, 2018, 11:17:29 pm by pib »
I can't hide my feeling that if it is McCann I'll be really disappointed. I thought Stuart McCall would be by far and away a better candidate than him based on experience, track record, and the write-ups we've seen from various sources at their former clubs, so more than anything I'll be disappointed to miss out on him when we seemingly had a good chance of appointing him.

I was looking forward to a new era post-Ferguson, and a change in the way the team is managed and plays football. McCann seems to me like more of a continuity appointment from what I've read - playing similar football, favouring similar players, and suffering the same pitfalls.

However, and this is the most important point, if he is appointed I'll support him, hope that he does well, and make judgements based on what he does in the job rather than putting myself in one or the other polarised "camps" and being at loggerheads on here all the time. There will always be people who just whinge at everything, and there will always be people who seemingly applaud every move a DRFC manager makes. Hopefully most people can find a way to be on the sliding scale in between - supportive of the manager but realistic about their performance.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on June 26, 2018, 11:20:42 pm by Jonathan »
I can't hide my feeling that if it is McCann I'll be really disappointed. I thought Stuart McCall would be by far and away a better candidate than him based on experience, track record, and the write-ups we've seen from various sources at their former clubs, so more than anything I'll be disappointed to miss out on him when we seemingly had a good chance of appointing him.

I was looking forward to a new era post-Ferguson, and a change in the way the team is managed and plays football. McCann seems to me like more of a continuity appointment from what I've read - playing similar football, favouring similar players, and suffering the same pitfalls.

However, and this is the most important point, if he is appointed I'll support him, hope that he does well, and make judgements based on what he does in the job rather than putting myself in one or the other polarised "camps" and being at loggerheads on here all the time. There will always be people who just whinge at everything, and there will always be people who seemingly applaud every move a DRFC manager makes. Hopefully most people can find a way to be on the sliding scale in between - supportive of the manager but realistic about their performance.

Well said. That’s exactly as I see it too. Including the last paragraph - if it is to be McCann then I draw the line under any prior reservations and get right behind him starting at Southend away.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on June 26, 2018, 11:23:12 pm by RoversAlias »

Excellent post. In fact I'm encouraged by a few in this thread when set against some of the absolute drivel regarding the appointment I have read on here and on Twitter today.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on June 26, 2018, 11:28:03 pm by since-1969 »
We all paid for our season tickets before last season was finished. Let’s face it , if Grant McCann was on offer I doubt the queue would have reached the door . He’s not going to inspire with a budget that won’t be any greater or even much use , as there won’t be anything for him to play about with as I’m certain that’s why he’s been appointed he had to be Cheap !!

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 26, 2018, 11:36:45 pm by Move DRFC »
I think its a poor appointment and it screams of another Dickov to me. But thats what happens when you don't have any money.

We do however all have to get behind the man. Onwards

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on June 26, 2018, 11:39:22 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BB, it's a good job some of our supporters didn't pick the Rotherham, and the Shrewsbury managers, or the lad who got Scunthorpe in the playoffs.
  Had any of those managed before, the Rotherham and Scunthorpe managers were on the backroom staff, and the Cardiff manager started off  as a chiropodist I think and a part time manager at Scarborough.
  For gods sake give whoever gets the job a chance.

Selby, I always support every Rovers manager. No matter who we get if the budget isn't enough it's not their fault if they fail.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on June 27, 2018, 12:10:23 am by selby »
 I know that BB,  I can't understand how people know the budget isn't good enough before a ball is kicked. And how a manager is not good enough for us for the same reason.
  Southgate went through the same thing, now people are kissing his backside, whoever gets the job,win the first three games and he will be the best thing since sliced bread. Lose the first three games and I bet there will be someone posting that he should be sacked.
  The question I ask myself is, what is the real reason behind Fergie leaving, he was backed at every turn by the very people he blamed i.e. the board. Given money for two centre halfs,  signed Anderson just before he left, put out his retained list, and then the bomb.
   Add to that Fergie was for Fergie, and his backroom staff are still with the club, the budget was not the sole reason and indeed could well be a smoke screen to cover other reasons, either personal or otherwise which we don't need to know about.
  I am not fussed he has gone, wish him well whatever he does, but long live the king whoever that is.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 27, 2018, 01:01:55 am by Padge_DRFC »
He might be good at selling gym memberships and up selling Dons season tickets. Fully getting behind club Doncaster

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 27, 2018, 02:48:46 am by scawsby steve »
Paul Dickov - one job on his CV, a failure at Oldham.

Grant McCann - one job on his CV, a failure at Peterborough.

I sincerely hope history won't repeat itself here. For what it's worth, I wish him all the best, and am willing to give him a chance, and if he fails, I hope the crowd don't take it out on him; after all, nobody can blame him for applying, he has a family to feed like the rest of us. I don't want to sound like a board knocker, but if McCann fails, the blame will lie solely with them.

If I'm wrong, I'll be the first one on here to hold my hand up, but I find this appointment utterly underwhelming.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 27, 2018, 07:10:54 am by Copps is Magic »
Dickov left Oldham 1 point above the relegation zone, with a 30% win ratio, and scores of Oldham fans telling us it was a shit appointment.

McCann left Peterborough 10th, 6 points off the playoffs with two in hand, a 40% win ratio and generally good comments from the Peterborough fans.

It seems two completely different situations.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on June 27, 2018, 07:24:37 am by since-1969 »
Dickov left Oldham 1 point above the relegation zone, with a 30% win ratio, and scores of Oldham fans telling us it was a shit appointment.

McCann left Peterborough 10th, 6 points off the playoffs with two in hand, a 40% win ratio and generally good comments from the Peterborough fans.

He was sacked after 7 looses on the bounce and having thrown away a promotion chance .

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on June 27, 2018, 07:29:56 am by The Red Baron »
I don't understand where this myth comes from that Grant McCann failed at Peterborough.

They had 47 points from 33 games at the time of his departure and were six points off the play-offs with two games in hand. They also had a better GD. In a nutshell, they weren't in pole position but they were certainly in contention, even though they hadn't won in half a dozen games.

Peterborough's board just pressed the panic button and got rid of him in favour of a more experienced manager who still didn't deliver the play-offs.

McCann's win percentage was bang on 40% over 105 games. Big budget or not, you still have to deliver results and there won't be many managers out there who've achieved that sort of win ratio in their first managerial job in the Football League.

Think folk should give him a chance tbh.

I have to admit I was surprised he was sacked by Peterborough. I think they wanted Fatty for a while and he "became available" so they didn't want to miss out.

The fact that McCann has worked with both Gavin Strachan and Kieran Scarff probably swung it for him.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 27, 2018, 07:39:07 am by Copps is Magic »

He was sacked after 7 looses on the bounce and having thrown away a promotion chance .

Wrong. He was sacked in February, the promotion chance wasnt gone at all.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on June 27, 2018, 07:40:44 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

What were the circumstances behind that bad run though? Could be anything from injuries to bad luck, bad decisions or being a poor manager.

All managers have a bad run even the best.  Sometimes clubs should hold their nerve.

If it's him it is actually a risky appointment.  I hope it turns out well. Those of you constantly moaning like 5 year olds are pathetic. Give the guy a chance he has no choice but to get it right.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012