Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 11:33:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sheffield Utd Summary  (Read 7483 times)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: Sheffield Utd Summary
« Reply #30 on July 28, 2018, 09:50:35 am by the vicar »
Ok look at last season we we'll beat Blackburn second game there fans was saying they was doomed it was Armageddon they were deffo going down with booing all round the ground but look forward 9months and what happened, in not saying we are as good as them but just shows what can happen

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on July 28, 2018, 09:58:16 am by mpc123 »
I cant wait for the season, i think we will get better as we go along aswell. GM has only been here a few weeks.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 28, 2018, 09:59:24 am by Michael Shaw »
Talk is cheap and can go on forever (and certainly has). A lot us would have been a lot happier and optimistic if we had only seen 3 or 4 more good quality signings but I can’t see it happening. Already Ali Crawford has a groin injury and might be out, which backs up our claims we need more players to cater for injuries. 

Top 6, no way.  Mid table, maybe.   Relegation, probably not.

At least I have the courage and will say again, I predict 6 points from the first 6 games. That’s not the start McCann wants but the rest of the league is not there to keep McCann or us happy.  We’ll see how right I am after the Peterborough game.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 28, 2018, 10:21:16 am by Michael Shaw »
I only repeat McCann when he said the start of the season is critical if we want a playoff spot. He said it not me. I could have said 9 points from 9 games, but I will stand by 6 from 6 because I am impatient and want to judge how we are getting on. We can only wait and see because McCann and the board will do what they want. 

I believe Crawford had a knee injury last season which limited him to only 19 appearances for Hamilton, Paul Taylor also got a groin injury a couple of matches ago, Kiwomya is  recovering from  a muscle injury, Copps recovering from a knee problem and the season hasn't actually started yet. Are we really supposed to believe we won’t get any serious injuries this season and we can still achieve a top 6 slot?

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on July 28, 2018, 12:22:08 pm by Herman Hessian »
…. Moor, the United GK, was the GK for Brentford the day we won the League, "funny old game football"

....and marello trotta is just about to start his fourth season in italy's serie a; seventy plus appearances and a dozen goals, albeit for failrly modest teams (crotone and sassuolo) - done ok or himself all things considered

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 28, 2018, 12:30:17 pm by RedJ »
Aye but he had to play for Barnsley before that, poor bloke.

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 28, 2018, 12:47:33 pm by raggytash »
No chance Michael, the board won’t pay fees and it’s obvious I know. Facts are facts mate

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 28, 2018, 01:03:19 pm by mpc123 »
No chance Michael, the board won’t pay fees and it’s obvious I know. Facts are facts mate

Very very few and far between in the championship, lg1 and lg2 do pay fees.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 28, 2018, 01:06:42 pm by mpc123 »
Did we pay a fee last year for Whiteman, 150,000 I think i may be wrong.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 28, 2018, 01:13:37 pm by NickDRFC »
I think it was described as “six figures” at the time. So evidently we are willing to pay a fee,  for even if so far it’s not looked like any kind of value!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 28, 2018, 01:40:01 pm by RedJ »
I think it was described as “six figures” at the time. So evidently we are willing to pay a fee,  for even if so far it’s not looked like any kind of value!

Yeah but raggytash knows best.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on July 28, 2018, 02:04:08 pm by mpc123 »
Mpc did you go the game or Grimsby??? It’s rubbish, even though it’s a friendly it’s obvious the midfield is weak there’s no one with marquis, Wilkes looks decent but I think it’s going be a ‘which side of bed did he get out off’ , Crawford is injured already and this is what happens to injury prone free signings .... from what I’ve seen it looks more attacking football but we are wide open and lacking in quality

No I don't go to friendlies nowadays they are a non event generally with loads of swapping and changing.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on July 28, 2018, 02:20:07 pm by ravenrover »

He's got insider information you know,

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 28, 2018, 02:22:27 pm by RedJ »

He's got insider information you know,

Aye, he's talking out the inside of his arse.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on July 28, 2018, 02:36:55 pm by ravenrover »
There was 1 player who for me was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch last and changed the game completely when he came on, McGoldrick. 0-0 when he came on yes he missed a couple of good chances but the ball to Billy for the 2nd goal took the whole defence out and his overall positional play made it a nightmare for a defender to pick him up
Having said that I though that Lund is lucky to get a reprieve, Amos is challenging Andrew for the left back spot, Wright is our best Centre Back, Copps playing where he should be out wide, Wilks looks very promising, Marosi for me takes the keeper spot, for the 20 mins he was on I liked the look of Crawford, Whiteman gets the def mid position. I though that Blairs pace in midfield was a  definite positive
Taylor I thought looked good and worth a go but Viera looked a little lost
Anyone know why Ben Khemis wasn't included last night?
All this just my opinion rightly or wrongly

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on July 28, 2018, 03:58:51 pm by mpc123 »
Mpc did you go the game or Grimsby??? It’s rubbish, even though it’s a friendly it’s obvious the midfield is weak there’s no one with marquis, Wilkes looks decent but I think it’s going be a ‘which side of bed did he get out off’ , Crawford is injured already and this is what happens to injury prone free signings .... from what I’ve seen it looks more attacking football but we are wide open and lacking in quality

Well if friendlies are the be all and end all I can't wait to play Southend, their friendlies have been pretty much a nightmare, so even the Alan southstands, raggytashs out their going on their thinking will have to say we will beat Southend.

But as we all know friendlies mean nothing
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:02:43 pm by mpc123 »

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 28, 2018, 04:13:24 pm by raggytash »
If I’m talking out my arse why have the belles been palmed off and the dons told to reign it in in???? There’s only Bramall putting money in, im not naming my source as a mark of respect but it’s 100 per cent true despite what other people say...and I can’t believe certain people are denying it!!!!!

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on July 28, 2018, 04:20:09 pm by mpc123 »
A club doncaster business decision nothing to do with rovers budget though.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 28, 2018, 04:22:20 pm by mpc123 »
If I’m talking out my arse why have the belles been palmed off and the dons told to reign it in in???? There’s only Bramall putting money in, im not naming my source as a mark of respect but it’s 100 per cent true despite what other people say...and I can’t believe certain people are denying it!!!!!

I can't see anything to prove that rovers budget has been cut and 100% believe SM on everything he says that is part of the club.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 28, 2018, 04:22:57 pm by Retdon1 »

How have the dons been told to reign it in when they have signed 4 new players is the last week or so, 1 of these after beating off competition from several clubs and then resigned their best player to a new 3 year contract despite interest from clubs in the league above...... you won’t name your source because it’s all made up..... clueless

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 28, 2018, 04:30:25 pm by NickDRFC »
People don’t name their source because if they did they wouldn’t be their source for much longer.

Not that this makes what raggytash says any less bullshit though.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on July 28, 2018, 04:33:24 pm by mpc123 »

How have the dons been told to reign it in when they have signed 4 new players is the last week or so, 1 of these after beating off competition from several clubs and then resigned their best player to a new 3 year contract despite interest from clubs in the league above...... you won’t name your source because it’s all made up..... clueless

Based on that info ( tbh I don't follow the dons) it seems someone (major contact at the club) is pulling your leg raggytash.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 28, 2018, 04:54:46 pm by scawsby steve »
Get a bit of perspective at least.

Alright, that wasn't Sheff Utd's starting 11. Is that perspective enough?

That was pretty much the squad + new signings that finished the season against bristol city in the championship last year plus a couple of signings. I just checked. There could have been a couple with injuries but so had we.

Or do we just want to make it up to make the situation look worse for some reason.

The 2nd half wasnt our starting 11 so i dont get what your point is apart from trying to make everything doom and gloom.

Lawlor, Anderson, Butler, Andrew, McCullough, Rowe, Taylor, Beestin will be part of our first eleven so not sure where the "second half team isn't our first XI" comes from.

The starting XI next week will be from these:

Marosi
Lawlor
Mason
Wright
Anderson
Butler
Andrew
Whiteman
McCullough
Crawford
Rowe
Coppinger
Taylor
Beestin
Wilks
Marquis

And at the end of the day it was a friendly, if we play the next handful of games and are still called Doncaster Rovers nil then we can worry but otherwise remember back to Chesterfield fans thinking they were going up last season, Sheffield Wednesday lost 14-0 a few seasons ago to a Conference team and we lost to a non league 6-0 a few years ago under SOD.

I'm not saying you're wrong Donny, but who the f*ck from the Conference beat Sheffield Wednesday 14-0?.

Donny Viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on July 28, 2018, 04:58:55 pm by Donny Viking »
Some perspective :

It might not have been Sheffield Utds first but everyone of those players last night are fighting for a starting place, they will all be better paid than rovers players, and all will think they are too good for league one.

It Was a friendly so nobody wanted to get injured, it was all about putting new formations and training into practice. The result didn’t matter to the managers, it was all about getting ready for coming season.

I’m lead to believe the players had trained that morning as they are working on improving fitness, we will be even sharper against Southend.

1st half - we closed down well, won the ball back quickly and we created some great chances especially on the break. We had players in the box, the ball was moved at pace, and clearly the players had been told to be attacking - even though we didn’t score there were loads of signs that made me optimistic for the season ahead. If nothing else we can expect to see more attacking football at pace, which has to be an improvement on last year.

2nd half - we virtually changed whole team, and Sheffield U had had a kick up backside from their manager. They started with virtually same team. As an 11 we were not good enough and on the back foot, but individually most could complement starting 11 I’m sure.

It was hard for trialists as they were playing with 2nd team - but I thought Taylor had some really good touches, and showed quality at times that other players did not read.

I genuinely came away optimistic for the season ahead. Are we good enough for top 6, who knows? I’d like a good start but it’s a marathon not a sprint.  :scarf:

Donny Viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on July 28, 2018, 05:03:42 pm by Donny Viking »
Oh and best player in the first half was their keeper who made 3 or 4 quality  saves  :thumbsup:

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 28, 2018, 06:25:11 pm by Spilsby Red »
Southend are not making signings which isn’t pleasing there fans. Fans want the best and more, which I understand. However, I want GM to make his mark and the players to give their best. Then who knows what might happen. We have a club to be proud of, let’s support that, the manager, staff and players

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 28, 2018, 07:47:00 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Get a bit of perspective at least.

Alright, that wasn't Sheff Utd's starting 11. Is that perspective enough?

That was pretty much the squad + new signings that finished the season against bristol city in the championship last year plus a couple of signings. I just checked. There could have been a couple with injuries but so had we.

Or do we just want to make it up to make the situation look worse for some reason.

The 2nd half wasnt our starting 11 so i dont get what your point is apart from trying to make everything doom and gloom.

Lawlor, Anderson, Butler, Andrew, McCullough, Rowe, Taylor, Beestin will be part of our first eleven so not sure where the "second half team isn't our first XI" comes from.

The starting XI next week will be from these:

Marosi
Lawlor
Mason
Wright
Anderson
Butler
Andrew
Whiteman
McCullough
Crawford
Rowe
Coppinger
Taylor
Beestin
Wilks
Marquis

And at the end of the day it was a friendly, if we play the next handful of games and are still called Doncaster Rovers nil then we can worry but otherwise remember back to Chesterfield fans thinking they were going up last season, Sheffield Wednesday lost 14-0 a few seasons ago to a Conference team and we lost to a non league 6-0 a few years ago under SOD.

I'm not saying you're wrong Donny, but who the f*ck from the Conference beat Sheffield Wednesday 14-0?.

http://www.skysports.com/football/alfreton-t-vs-sheff-wed/243946

Alfreton.

Big MAC

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 28, 2018, 09:03:40 pm by Big MAC »
The must be giving them 14 head start because it kick off until tomorrow!

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on July 28, 2018, 09:05:53 pm by Pancho Regan »

Why so many question marks?????
You need to calm down!!!!!!!!

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on July 28, 2018, 09:22:56 pm by Pancho Regan »
I don’t go to friendlies so I appreciate the feedback from those who attended last night.

So Taylor deserves a contract / is not worth a contract / is worth a go / is better than Beestin / is injured already.

That clears that up!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012